NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s ridiculous. He’s been mediocre, at times, this series. No worse than that. 

You don't actually believe that, do you? I thought he had his moments and was up for the physicality task against LAC and OKC. Minnesota didn't really target him. He's been awful--and, more importantly, lazy--this series. I honestly don't know how you even begin to spin it another way. 

it takes an impressive amount of cognitive dissonance to say Doncic's defense has been only mediocre at times when, a few posts earlier, there is a graphic showing the three highest blow by percentages in a playoff series in the last 10 years were Doncic this postseason.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/luka-doncics-defense-hits-shameful-levels-with-mavericks-on-brink-of-being-swept-by-celtics/

21 hours ago, Skipper said:

All the "Luka can't play defense" takes are so fucking lazy and just shows how little Mavs NBA casuals have watched until now.  He's never going to be elite on that end but he's playing fucking hurt and worn down from having to do way too much on offense to keep us in games because we have fucking zero depth scoring (again, doing it hurt).  It's one thing for non-Mavs fans on this board to have that take but that it's such a talking point in the media just shows how fucking lazy they all are.  

yup

21 hours ago, Js1 said:

Maybe his conditioning should be better for a world class athlete 

his conditioning is fine.  he's in the best shape he's ever been in despite playing fiba last offseason.  started conditioning the first day of offseason in 2023.  hired a nutritionist and changed his eating habits.  came into camp 20 pounds lighter.  it's why he's been able to play at all in the playoffs despite having this knee injury.  

12 hours ago, Kermit said:

Dallas fans: Luka is an above average defender, you must not watch the games.

Everyone else: What about all these playoff games?

Dallas fans: No, not those games.

he needs to be more consistent.  our game plan since the trades has been to funnel everything to the paint where lively and gafford are.  it's been working. top 5 defense since may.  23rd before that.  in the playoffs up til the finals he's been very good.  he finally hit the wall against the celtics from the combination of them hunting him every time down the floor and then having to constantly run out to different players on the 3 pt line.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Luka is a generational offensive talent the likes of which we’ve never seen before. He doesn’t have to be proficient on the defensive end. What he needs is his teammates to make some fucking shots and cover for his inability to stay in front of the two most athletic players in the league on the perimeter.

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

his conditioning is fine.  he's in the best shape he's ever been in despite playing fiba last offseason.  started conditioning the first day of offseason in 2023.  hired a nutritionist and changed his eating habits.  came into camp 20 pounds lighter.  it's why he's been able to play at all in the playoffs despite having this knee injury.  

Right right - the "best shape of his life!" local media puff piece that comes out during training camps approximately 700 times a year across all sports. I mean just lol at quoting this as some stone cold refutation of what we can all see - his chubby face jiggling in HD. He's not 20 pounds lighter right now and it's fucking laughable to try to argue he's made some newfound lifelong commitment to diet and conditioning.

3 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Right right - the "best shape of his life!" local media puff piece that comes out during training camps approximately 700 times a year across all sports. I mean just lol at quoting this as some stone cold refutation of what we can all see - his chubby face jiggling in HD. He's not 20 pounds lighter right now and it's fucking laughable to try to argue he's made some newfound lifelong commitment to diet and conditioning.

if you can't tell the difference you haven't been paying attention.

13 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

if you can't tell the difference you haven't been paying attention.

I mean I'm just going off what I see and what I hear from my favorite basketball reporters. Luka looks like his same doughy self. In fact I grabbed a random photo off google from what appears to be a Mavs/Nets game on 11/7/22 (can't confirm) and Luka looks pretty good here. Definitely not 20 pounds heavier. So if I'm wrong, can you show me?

Luka2022.webp

• Hook 'Em 1

Some of the Luka criticism is definitely hot take du jour and magnified by the finals spotlight, but there is a definitely a good portion of validity to it. The foul baiting and excessive whining while not getting back on defense is abhorrent. There is a clear lack of effort on defense in many cases. I don't see how that any of that is debatable. Some of it may be defensible. Much of it is not. And just because he's in better shape, doesn't mean he's in good shape. Round is a shape, too, as the saying goes.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

As a Rockets fan watching Harden from 2014 - 2020, this whole "guy's he's actually really good on defense, he just has to carry the offense so he's tired" sure sounds really damn familiar.

I had that exact same thought! And as much as I'd prefer Luka to not win while in a Mavs uniform, he does appear to have much more of a give-a-fuck than Harden. And a better playoff resume already. I'll take hot tempered and immature over "so checked out Bill Simmons thinks you were concussed."

11 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

As a Rockets fan watching Harden from 2014 - 2020, this whole "guy's he's actually really good on defense, he just has to carry the offense so he's tired" sure sounds really damn familiar.

yep - i am definitely getting a sense of deja vu reading this thread.

7 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Shitting on Luka is like talking trash on VY after he lost to OU. Fucking ridiculous…

this is also true, and why i always stuck up for harden.  when the guy is 90% of the reason you are where you are in the first place, the hating and nitpicking gets old real quick.

53 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I mean I'm just going off what I see and what I hear from my favorite basketball reporters. Luka looks like his same doughy self. In fact I grabbed a random photo off google from what appears to be a Mavs/Nets game on 11/7/22 (can't confirm) and Luka looks pretty good here. Definitely not 20 pounds heavier. So if I'm wrong, can you show me?

Luka2022.webp

he came into the season around 225.  he's probably around 245 rn but hard to tell with alll the wraps he's got.  the weight gain since the break is a function of not being able to work out and resting as much as possible from nagging lower body injuries.  his conditioning is paying off in that he's not only able to play through these injuries but also able to play at a high level.  he's completely altered his offense to adapt to his injuries but he's still reeling off triple doubles after being hunted on defense. 

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

Luka is a generational offensive talent the likes of which we’ve never seen before. He doesn’t have to be proficient on the defensive end. What he needs is his teammates to make some fucking shots and cover for his inability to stay in front of the two most athletic players in the league on the perimeter.

He's a talent and a great individual player but so far he seems to be missing that extra piece to be truly one of the all time greats. Jordan Magic Bird had it, Tim Duncan , Shaq and I fucking hated Kobe Bryant but that guy had it, Luka doesn't seem to have "it".

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Luka2022.webp

dbc9b-17132820948504-1920.jpgGJsBfJeXsAEyYzn?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

He's a talent and a great individual player but so far he seems to be missing that extra piece to be truly one of the all time greats. Jordan Magic Bird had it, Tim Duncan , Shaq and I fucking hated Kobe Bryant but that guy had it, Luka doesn't seem to have "it".

He's fucking 25 dude/  Jordan hadn't gotten out of the 2nd round at 25. Kobe had the best start of that group but that was a stacked roster he won with when young.  It's just a little too early to be writing that sentence and defining his career. This was a team with an over/under set at like 42 pre-season and he drug this team to the finals.  I've seen more "it" moments from him than any player since Kobe.  He pretty much singlehandedly destroyed and embarrassed Durant's PHX team on the road in game 7 2 years ago and then Minn in game 5 on the road this year.  Those are real playoff moments most star players never sniff.  But everyone suddenly forgetting those moments and trying to define Luka's career by 1 game is insane to me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

He's fucking 25 dude/  Jordan hadn't gotten out of the 2nd round at 25. Kobe had the best start of that group but that was a stacked roster he won with when young.  It's just a little too early to be writing that sentence and defining his career. This was a team with an over/under set at like 42 pre-season and he drug this team to the finals.  I've seen more "it" moments from him than any player since Kobe.  He pretty much singlehandedly destroyed and embarrassed Durant's PHX team on the road in game 7 2 years ago and then Minn in game 5 on the road this year.  Those are real playoff moments most star players never sniff.  But everyone suddenly forgetting those moments and trying to define Luka's career by 1 game is insane to me.

The Kobe/Jordan comparisons aren't fair. He's still so young. By the same token, he's been a professional since he was 16 and I don't know that he's gotten appreciably better over the last couple of seasons. I don't think he's going to take the next step until he cuts his ref bullshit out, gets in great shape, and starts giving more effort on defense. I don't think any of those criticisms are unfair and the idea that he can still easily improve on those things should be scary for the rest of the league. He's that great offensively.

Kevin Durant played for Brooklyn two years ago. 

In the bigger picture, I don't know how much stock to put into this year's playoffs vis a vis the hierarchy in west. The west is extremely deep with good teams, but nobody is great. Just about anybody could beat anybody else, depending on health and matchups. Minnesota was a bad matchup for Denver. Dallas was a bad matchup for Minnesota. Boston is certainly a bad matchup for Dallas. Who knows what happens if a game or two goes the other way during the regular season and the seedings get shuffled. Are we having a different conversation? 

Where do the Mavs rank in the west next year? Are they one of the best 3-4 teams, or did they just catch lightning in a bottle? They were certainly a different team post trade deadline. Lively was an amazing pick. They don't have much cap space or draft capital, but they aren't completely hamstrung like Phoenix or the Clips. 

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The Kobe/Jordan comparisons aren't fair. He's still so young. By the same token, he's been a professional since he was 16 and I don't know that he's gotten appreciably better over the last couple of seasons. I don't think he's going to take the next step until he cuts his ref bullshit out, gets in great shape, and starts giving more effort on defense. I don't think any of those criticisms are unfair and the idea that he can still easily improve on those things should be scary for the rest of the league. He's that great offensively.

In the bigger picture, I don't know how much stock to put into this year's playoffs vis a vis the hierarchy in west. The west is extremely deep with good teams, but nobody is great. Just about anybody could beat anybody else, depending on health and matchups. Minnesota was a bad matchup for Denver. Dallas was a bad matchup for Minnesota. Boston is certainly a bad matchup for Dallas. Who knows what happens if a game or two goes the other way during the regular season and the seedings get shuffled. Are we having a different conversation? 

Where do the Mavs rank in the west next year? Are they one of the best 3-4 teams, or did they just catch lightning in a bottle? They were certainly a different team post trade deadline. Lively was an amazing pick. They don't have much cap space or draft capital, but they aren't completely hamstrung like Phoenix or the Clips. 

You are right. That was the Booker/Ayton/Paul Suns.   Don't disagree with anything you are saying.  Mavs still have to improve the roster to be considered a top 3 in the West which is way easier said than done (and even then it will be a bit of a crapshoot in playoffs).   That THJ contract is such a dead weight for another year unless they can move it.

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

He shouldn't be dragging the team he should be leading it. That's the point. The Suns and TWolves are joke teams

30 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

He shouldn't be dragging the team he should be leading it. That's the point. The Suns and TWolves are joke teams

LOL. That Suns team won 64 games.   Best record in the league easily that year (won the West by 8 games).  The 'joke' MN team won 56 this year.   So yeah, great comment there.   An example of a "joke team" would be your Spurs now and for the foreseeable future.

On 10/25/2023 at 8:27 PM, ztejas said:

Man... Boston hasn't changed a lick. I wonder if Mazulla makes it through the season. 

On 10/25/2023 at 8:34 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Jaylen Brown really earning his max extension. Yikes. 

On 10/25/2023 at 9:02 PM, SilasCoade said:

Knee jerk reaction to early minutes, this version of the Mavs is going to kind of suck.

Lol. I clicked on this thread and landed at these posts.... The simulation gots jokes.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

What? He literally just had his career-high ppg, apg, and 3-point shooting:

image.thumb.png.0bd59bebb9fdcb29b5a6f5ad94f74775.png

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

What? He literally just had his career-high ppg, apg, and 3-point shooting:

image.thumb.png.0bd59bebb9fdcb29b5a6f5ad94f74775.png

his per-36 numbers haven’t changed much in the last four years.

IMG_7430.jpeg

1 minute ago, definitely not derka said:

his per-36 numbers haven’t changed much in the last four years.

IMG_7430.jpeg

Exactly. He played the most minutes of his career this season and shot it exceptionally well from 3 on higher volume. And I did qualify it with "appreciably".

He's clearly a better player now than as a rookie, but you would expect a player as young as he was coming into the league to have more of an upward trajectory. It just shows what a savant and prodigy he is. It's like the guy had zero learning curve coming into the NBA at 19 years old. That just doesn't happen.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Shaq got swept in the playoffs 6 times and Jordan didn’t make the finals before he was 25. Go play in traffic, potato counter. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Exactly. He played the most minutes of his career this season and shot it exceptionally well from 3 on higher volume. And I did qualify it with "appreciably".
He's clearly a better player now than as a rookie, but you would expect a player as young as he was coming into the league to have more of an upward trajectory. It just shows what a savant and prodigy he is. It's like the guy had zero learning curve coming into the NBA at 19 years old. That just doesn't happen.

He’s also been playing against pros since before he could probably drive.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yes, Luka Doncic, one of the most popular players in the NBA, is a player who we haven't watched enough of to properly judge. Right.

Unless you live in Dallas or go out of your way to watch Mavericks games, it’s very likely you haven’t seen much.  They don’t get much national run. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Shaq got swept in the playoffs 6 times and Jordan didn’t make the finals before he was 25. Go play in traffic, potato counter. 

Luka is the greatest Mav of all time and perfect in every way, please don't change Luka.

34 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Unless you live in Dallas or go out of your way to watch Mavericks games, it’s very likely you haven’t seen much.  They don’t get much national run. 

The small hamlet of Dallas, with its tiny population and semi-popular professional sports teams (including an NFL team that no one pays much attention to and a baseball team who may or may not have won a championship last season but no one knows because no one allegedly pays attention) lacks eyeballs on one of the best basketball players in the planet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Luka is the greatest Mav of all time and perfect in every way, please don't change Luka.

That’s better. Go and sin no more. 

1 minute ago, Kermit said:

lacks eyeballs on one of the best basketball players in the planet

Uh… yes? They are the third most popular team in Texas and don’t have a limited audience outside of the DFW metro area.

also true with the Rangers, BTW. Go to the MLB flagship store on 5th ave in NY and you’ll see less Rangers gear than almost any other team. Like a 4th of Pittsburgh and Cincy, for example.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova