NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

45 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s better. Go and sin no more. 

Uh… yes? They are the third most popular team in Texas and don’t have a limited audience outside of the DFW metro area.

also true with the Rangers, BTW. Go to the MLB flagship store on 5th ave in NY and you’ll see less Rangers gear than almost any other team. Like a 4th of Pittsburgh and Cincy, for example.

Luka would probably be more popular if he bitched less

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Will be interesting to see how Gm5 goes.  Celtics are really struggling tonight...  

80-47

I think we all know how this ends. But good to see the Mavs fight back tonight. 

The only glimmer of hope the Mavs can carry forward to force this to 6 is they have absolutely dominated the paint tonight, which should have been the case in game 3 as well. This game doesn’t get away from the Celtics with healthy KP. 

1 minute ago, LurkingHorn said:

The only glimmer of hope the Mavs can carry forward to force this to 6 is they have absolutely dominated the paint tonight, which should have been the case in game 3 as well. This game doesn’t get away from the Celtics with healthy KP. 

Mavs running more like Indy did is also helping Dallas score more...

I’m sorry. The “Luka is an above average defender take” is absolute nonsense. 

First, he isn’t and probably will never be based on his track record of playing professional basketball for a decade. 

Second, he doesn’t need to be that within the context of his role on the team so why stan for it. 

Third, he’s hurt to some debatable degree, so the James Harden highlight reel may not totally be fair. 

Finally, I don’t see how anyone could have watched the first three games of this series, hurt or not, and come away with that take.  Falling down and not running back is part of defense. Taking time to bitch at the refs instead of picking up a dude is part of defense. Dumb fouls in transition and 60 feet from the basket is dumb defense. Then you have all the blow bys and not giving a shit about contesting shit on the perimeter documented on the videos. With his size and intelligence he should at least be serviceable no matter what. 

He’s an awesome player and on the shortlist of top NBA guys. But to die on the hill of his defense is ridiculous to me. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, MrX said:

Finally, I don’t see how anyone could have watched the first three games of this series, hurt or not, and come away with that take.

Because I’ve been watching him his whole career, so welcome. 

12 minutes ago, MrX said:

Second, he doesn’t need to be that within the context of his role on the team so why stan for it. 

Because it’s true. Im not a fan of defensive win share because it structurally overweights the frontcourt, but take a look at the rankings posted up thread. There are only 6 guards in the top 25 and only two in the top 20- Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic. 

He’s never going to be DPOY. But he’s an asset, not a liability. He’s above average, if uneven, with lapses punctuated by extremely high level play (for questions see Edwards, Anthony, Cancún Timberwolves).The only people who don’t see that are people who didn’t haven’t watched him play closely or don’t know what they are looking at. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Because I’ve been watching him his whole career, so welcome. 

Because it’s true. Im not a fan of defensive win share because it structurally overweights the frontcourt, but take a look at the rankings posted up thread. There are only 6 guards in the top 25 and only two in the top 20- Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic. 

He’s never going to be DPOY. But he’s an asset, not a liability. He’s above average, if uneven, with lapses punctuated by extremely high level play (for questions see Edwards, Anthony, Cancún Timberwolves).The only people who don’t see that are people who didn’t haven’t watched him play closely or don’t know what they are looking at. 

That rating is bullshit because he doesn’t guard other guards. It’s all noise.

He gets put on the worst offensive player on the other team which is some type of big almost 100 percent of the time. It’s not like Luka is picking up a SGA type at the three point line. 

8 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Man, if Luka is above average on the defensive end, then perhaps I’ve been too harsh on Malaki Branham and Zach Collins.

Maybe if Branham and Collins averaged a combined 34ppg/9Reb/10ast and was in the Finals instead of finishing 14th in the Western Conference you would. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, MrX said:

Wow meeting SGA at the rim one time in transition.  You’ve devastated my case. 

Oh I’m sorry. You mentioned SGA.  Maybe If I posted video of Doncic competently guarding and disrupting the play of Tatum, Edwards, Paul George, James Harden, KAT and Jaden McDaniels that would only further demonstrate how terrible he is.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Charles Barkley says he's retiring from TV after 2024-25

Charles Barkley says next season will be his final one on TV.

Barkley, part of the highly popular, award-winning "Inside the NBA" studio show, said Friday night that the 2024-25 season will be his last with TNT and that he won't be joining any other network beyond that either.

"I ain't going nowhere other than TNT," Barkley, 61, said on NBATV after the Dallas Mavericks' Game 4 victory over the Boston Celtics on Friday night. "But I have made the decision that, no matter what happens, next year is going to be my last year on television. And I just want to say thank you to my NBA family. You guys have been great to me. My heart is full with joy and gratitude."

The NBA has been negotiating its next media rights deals, which would begin in the 2025-26 season. While the NBA hasn't announced what the deals will look like, Disney/ABC/ESPN, Amazon, NBC and Warner Bros. Discovery have been vying for what's reported to be three available packages of games and affiliated content worth an estimated $76 billion to the league over a decade.

If Warner Bros. Discovery is the odd media company out, it would mean the end of games on TNT and no more "Inside the NBA."

"I hope the NBA stays with TNT, but for me personally, I wanted you guys to hear it from me ... I wanted to tell my NBATV and TNT family that I'm not going to another network, but I'm going to pass the baton to either Jamal Crawford or Vince Carter or you Steve [Smith]," Barkley said.

"But next year, I'm going to just retire after 25 years, and I just wanted to say thank you. And I wanted y'all to hear it from me first."

Ahead of the NBA Finals, commissioner Adam Silver called the media rights process "incredibly complex" based on the technology involved (broadcast, cable and streaming), the competing bidders and a timeline stretching into an unpredictable future.

Asked about the potential end of the Sports Emmy Award-winning "Inside the NBA," with host Ernie Johnson and former players Shaquille O'Neal, Kenny Smith and Barkley, if WBD's contract with the league next spring ended, Silver said he sympathized with the situation.

"[To] the folks at Turner Sports, I apologize that this has been a prolonged process, because I know they're committed to their jobs," he said. "It's a large part of their identity and their family's identity, and no one likes this uncertainty. I think it's on the league office to bring these negotiations to a head and conclude them as quickly as we can."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40354302/charles-barkley-says-next-season-final-one-tv

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

It is interesting how nobody is talking about Tatum being the third best player (arguably was on pace to be fourth if Porzingis hadn’t gotten his scheduled injury list stint) on his own team in the finals. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Kermit said:

Man, if Luka is above average on the defensive end, then perhaps I’ve been too harsh on Malaki Branham and Zach Collins.

There’s an assertion above that based on statistics he is top 20 in the league. How can you be top 20 in the league and not be above average?

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/10/2024 at 12:40 PM, TonyTexas said:

Been reading several articles and watching a few videos -- criticism of Lakers not offering at least $100mill are numerous.  Some saying if Lakers weren't serious, why did they even go after Hurley -- embarrassing.

giphy.gif

Lakers front office 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ITHorn said:

It is interesting how nobody is talking about Tatum being the third best player (arguably was on pace to be fourth if Porzingis hadn’t gotten his scheduled injury list stint) on his own team in the finals. 

I think it’s because Luka Doncic can’t play defense.

Luka is playing with:

PJ - was 4th best player on the Hornets
DJJ - minimum contract. Couldn’t cut it on the Bulls
Gafford - great from 2 or less feet
Kyrie - $100 player, .10 head
Maxi - hurt and worthless
THJ - heat check master with little fire lately
Lively - Really good for a rookie C, but hasn’t made a shot outside of the paint this season.
Green - gone from non-tradable to non-playable
Hardy - maybe next year…

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Luka is playing with:

PJ - was 4th best player on the Hornets
DJJ - minimum contract. Couldn’t cut it on the Bulls
Gafford - great from 2 or less feet
Kyrie - $100 player, .10 head
Maxi - hurt and worthless
THJ - heat check master with little fire lately
Lively - Really good for a rookie C, but hasn’t made a shot outside of the paint this season.
Green - gone from non-tradable to non-playable
Hardy - maybe next year…

Murderers Row, IOW.

52 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

There’s an assertion above that based on statistics he is top 20 in the league. How can you be top 20 in the league and not be above average?

Which statistics?

2 hours ago, ITHorn said:

That's kind of par for the course when you're team is up 3-0. No one cares if you win. Plus, it's accepted that Boston is much less heliocentric than Luka or LeBron teams.

Celtics lose again on Monday, and the critics will be ready to pounce.

Interesting comparison from the huge Dallas/Luka fans at The Ringer

Through the first three games of the Finals, the Mavericks had a point differential of negative-four in 118 minutes with Doncic on the court, versus negative-28 in 26 minutes without him. Both the Dallas offense and—more surprisingly—defense cratered when Luka reached the bench.

Mavericks With and Without Luka Doncic Through Three Finals Losses

Statistic Luka On Luka Off
Minutes 118 26
Point Differential -4 -28
Offensive Rating 104.8 85.2
Defensive Rating 107.0 132.1

The Luka defense arguments remind me of the Russell Westbrook defense arguments during his MVP season.  He had a good defense rating number, but the problem was that he never got credited for blow bys, or not closing out correctly because you have to be close to a shooter for it to count against you. When you allow a guy past you on the perimeter, he will inevitably drive to the paint and encounter another defender instead.  There were other issues of not rotating on defense, and telling other guys to take his man. Russ was doing that often to hunt rebounds, while Luka seems to do it to save energy or maybe due to laziness.

I really don't know how anyone watches Luka and thinks he's a good defender. He's not Harden-level apathetic about defense, but he really doesn't anticipate the offensive player's plan very well, and is often caught out of position or slow to react to their moves. I think he needs a Gobert type helper on defense to patrol the paint and help him and Kyrie on defense when they let someone drive past. Lively may turn into that guy, but from what I have seen, he often gets baited out of position to protect the rim. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MrX said:

Jokic is a top three defender now I guess. 

I don’t know. Post some stats showing Luka is average

is 8th in steals per game good? What metric do y’all want to use?

Edited by Sawbonz

26 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

There were other issues of not rotating on defense, and telling other guys to take his man. Russ was doing that often to hunt rebounds, while Luka seems to do it to save energy or maybe due to laziness.

Today I learned that rebounds = lazy 

• Hook 'Em 1