NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

5 minutes ago, Mittens said:

12p, 2a, 3r, 3to, 6/19, 0/5
16p, 6a, 2r, 2to, 7/18. 0/3

Kyrie 0-last 12 vs Boston
Luka 0-last 6 vs Boston

Hope KP isn't hobbled

He forgot to bring his sage to the court in games 1 and 2. Think we’ll see some kind of chicken sacrifice before game 3. Guy’s a fucking mental case. 

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Kyle Anderson was our best defender for Luka but unfortunately you can’t play Kyle and Rudy on offense since it’s almost 2.5 vs 5

Yep. 

Boston is just a really, really good fucking basketball team with no real holes. No shame in losing to them. I think Denver was probably the only team that could have possibly beat them. But they choked, so fuck 'em.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

It's funny to see a game like that and think about how the Bucks swapped Jrue for Dame, and thought that would be the path to a championship.  I don't know if they could have worked out a swap of Middleton for Dame instead, but that was clearly the upgrade they really needed. Jrue is still a great defender, and he can put up a good amount of points every night.  I think the Finals MVP race is still Jaylen Brown's to lose at this point, but Jrue might have a shot at it if he can have another game like that.

There is an off chance Luka gets Finals MVP even if Dallas loses. It's hard to argue that he's not the best player in the series so far, but the award almost always goes to a member of the winning team. We might see that here if the rest of the Dallas team continues to screw around for 2 more games while Luka shines. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

You can just see how much harder it is for the Mavs against Boston. One team is having to work really hard and make a lot of tough shots. The other team is getting great look after great look. When you have 5 guys that shoot 40%+ from downtown that creates some tough choices for the defense.

10 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Game 2 should be in Dallas' favor in terms of adjustments. 

The only smart adjustment Kidd has ever made is wearing glasses.  Tricks people into thinking he can coach.

I guess he can start spilling drinks? Maybe some floor slaps, or "I'm open" gestures on the sideline when Boston has the ball.

Jrue is by far the MVP of the series so far. In the first game he pretty much locked down Kyrie for 3 quarters and then Luka in Q4. In the 2nd game he still played amazing D and delivered the points that were missing from KP and Tatum.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

It's funny to see a game like that and think about how the Bucks swapped Jrue for Dame, and thought that would be the path to a championship.  I don't know if they could have worked out a swap of Middleton for Dame instead, but that was clearly the upgrade they really needed. Jrue is still a great defender, and he can put up a good amount of points every night.  I think the Finals MVP race is still Jaylen Brown's to lose at this point, but Jrue might have a shot at it if he can have another game like that.

When it comes to winning playoff basketball, I think Jrue is the better player, straight up. Then, you factor in Dame's contract...

I get that Milwaukee had to do something to show Giannis how committed they are, but I thought it was a terrible move in the moment, and it's likely going to prevent them from competing for championships in the near future. 

I wonder if they still make the deal if they knew that Jrue would ultimately end up on the roster of their biggest Eastern rival.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dallas could still make this a series--especially if KP is dinged up--because young role players playing better at home is something you can set your watch to, and Dallas has a lot of them. But they're not coming back from 3-1, and winning two straight against a veteran Boston team that plays better on the road is a tall ask.

When it comes to winning playoff basketball, I think Jrue is the better player, straight up. Then, you factor in Dame's contract...
I get that Milwaukee had to do something to show Giannis how committed they are, but I thought it was a terrible move in the moment, and it's likely going to prevent them from competing for championships in the near future. 
I wonder if they still make the deal if they knew that Jrue would ultimately end up on the roster of their biggest Eastern rival.

Doubt it mattered with Giannis injuring his calf and never returning. East was basically settled by then
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Doubt it mattered with Giannis injuring his calf and never returning. East was basically settled by then

The East was settled the second a team with title aspirations decided to hire Doc Rivers as their coach.

(and probably before that when a team known for its defense dropped to 19th with Dame now on their roster)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

but lebron said he was the best ever.

Yeah all that laughable media bullshit about Kyrie/Doncic being the greatest backcourt of ALLTIME sure quieted the fuck down. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah all that laughable media bullshit about Kyrie/Doncic being the greatest backcourt of ALLTIME sure quieted the fuck down. 

Well that was Stan and Reggie on tnt

So kyries just gonna hit every impossible shot vs Minnesota? Turn around fade aways in the corner, off handed hook shots while falling down, 3 after 3 after 3?

Then brick those same shots vs Boston? Maddening

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

You can just see how much harder it is for the Mavs against Boston. One team is having to work really hard and make a lot of tough shots. The other team is getting great look after great look. When you have 5 guys that shoot 40%+ from downtown that creates some tough choices for the defense.

Not only that, but Boston was 10/38 from 3 last night and still rolled. They missed one wide open look from three after another. Granted, Dallas was 6/26 including a putrid 2/15 by people not named Luka, but that was far from a vintage performance last night by the C's. Also, Tatum has shot the ball poorly in the first two games. He's 12/38 for the series and 4/14 from three. It just shows you how well balanced and talented Boston is. Granted, he's been impactful in other ways, but Boston has the luxury of their best player being average and winning while Dallas needs Luka to be world class to even stay competitive. The Dallas role players are going to have to be special at home for this series to become competitive.

38 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So kyries just gonna hit every impossible shot vs Minnesota? Turn around fade aways in the corner, off handed hook shots while falling down, 3 after 3 after 3?

Then brick those same shots vs Boston? Maddening

Somewhere, on some other message board, a couple of weeks ago there was a Nuggets fan saying this exact thing about Edwards, Townes and Gobert during their series against the Mavericks.

Seriously?

Rudy_Gobert_hits_a_fadeaway_over_Nikola_Jokic.gif.c3a94107cb3e3fd9c6326a130ed2c458.gif

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just gonna ignore Murray’s 70 footer, Mitch? lol

Wolves nuggets and was a weird impossible to predict series

Wolves mavericks, wolves held the lead outside of game 5 for a majority of the series until kyrie or Luka couldn’t miss in stretches. Especially crunch time

I’m pulling for Dallas so this isn’t sour grapes but Jfc can they at least try looking like the team that beat mine vs looking like an 8 seed?

It’s not magic. They are simply making Kyrie and Luka work harder and playing better individual D on them. They have the athleticism to match the size. Kat and Gob don’t. 

Kyries missing a ton of middies he was hitting with ease. some, most were contested shots

Yes kat and Rudy on an island isn’t exactly ideal with 2 of the best playmakers in the game but MN has a plethora of wing defenders like Boston. Just because Bostons shorter and bulkier shouldn’t mean that Lukais shots just don’t fall as easy

I’m not sure what all this nonsense is about “Dallas can still make this a series.” It’s over. Luka needs to go off for about 50-60 ppg for them to even have a chance; the odds of which are not in favor of that happening. Kyrie sucks and is clearly crumbling under the pressure. Dallas’ role players are no match for the Celtics. We are plenty content on letting Luka get his triple double each game and just shutting down the rest of their offense. I think we steal game 3 or 4 on the road and then win game 5 back at TD to hang banner 18. 

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Kyries missing a ton of middies he was hitting with ease. some, most were contested shots

Yes kat and Rudy on an island isn’t exactly ideal with 2 of the best playmakers in the game but MN has a plethora of wing defenders like Boston. Just because Bostons shorter and bulkier shouldn’t mean that Lukais shots just don’t fall as easy

It's a different dynamic when Dallas defense is being put in the blender and there's more pressure to score points. Dallas was able to shut Minnesota down and Luka and Kyrie just cooked on offense and that was enough. Boston is scoring easily and it puts way more pressure on Kyrie and Luka and their iso heavy offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

We are plenty content on letting Luka get his triple double each game and just shutting down the rest of their offense.

Exactly.  Luka's last 6 games vs BOS, all losses:  
32-11-11
30-10-1
37-12-11
33-18-13
23-9-3
42-8-9

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

It’s not magic. They are simply making Kyrie and Luka work harder and playing better individual D on them. They have the athleticism to match the size. Kat and Gob don’t. 

Basketball is a game of matchups.  I think Denver would’ve beaten boston

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

I think we steal game 3 or 4 on the road and then win game 5 back at TD to hang banner 18. 

Is it a requirement for all Lakers' and Celtics' fans to use "we" and talk about your chances in a particular season in terms of what number banner you're hoping to hang? Fucking cringe.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

44 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Is it a requirement for all Lakers' and Celtics' fans to use "we" and talk about your chances in a particular season in terms of what number banner you're hoping to hang? Fucking cringe.

Well, if your team had more 1 fucking championship in their history maybe you would also gloat about the number of banners. But since your team is practically irrelevant to the basketball landscape, you feel the need to “cringe” at the storied history of our team. And yes, we use “we” because the Celtics belong to the city of Boston. I assume you also use “we” when discussing anything regarding aggy considering that’s the team that inhabits that shithole town you decided to go to school in. 

48 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah that’s the only fanbase in all of sports that ever use the term “we”

Come On Please GIF by NBA

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Hurley seems to like coaching at a place like UConn and can probably name his price to stay for the rest of his career.  Barring an absolute series of scandals or implosion of the program, he's on the Coach K/Duke track until he chooses to retire.

Hurley too much of a chicken to take Lakers gig

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

No surprise. He wants to go for the 3 peat. And doesn't want to deal with the NBA egos and having Lebron dictate every single decision. Head coach under Lebron can't be fun.

Lebron won't be around in two years.  I know Hurley is a northeasterner through and through, but I don't agree with this decision,.

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Just gonna ignore Murray’s 70 footer, Mitch? lol

Wolves nuggets and was a weird impossible to predict series

Wolves mavericks, wolves held the lead outside of game 5 for a majority of the series until kyrie or Luka couldn’t miss in stretches. Especially crunch time

I’m pulling for Dallas so this isn’t sour grapes but Jfc can they at least try looking like the team that beat mine vs looking like an 8 seed?

Mavs overachieved these playoffs. Which isn't a bad thing at all, just reality. They are playing exactly like a 5 seed vs the best team in the NBA by far. Lively/Gafford are useless on offense this series since Boston is shutting down the easy lob dunks. Before this series, so many said "Dallas should control the inside against Boston". Not the case at all. Dallas is content with plodding the ball up the court and allowing Boston to get set on defense. Indiana got swept but they at least challenged Boston every game and had some healthy leads. They pushed tempo. They also were knocking down their shots. Dallas is missing everything. And their FT shooting is embarrassing for an NBA team, much less a Finals team. I said after game 1, there are no adjustments for Dallas to make. Boston is just too deep. Just gave to hit your shots and hope they miss theirs. Well, they got their wish last night. Boston was terrible behind the 3pt arc. Problem was, Dallas was even worse. If Dallas can't win a game last night where Boston was missing so much, I am having a hard time finding a game Dallas can win, much less 4 out of 5.

When you are the lesser team as Dallas is this series, you have to hit your 3s to close the talent gap. It isn't happening. Kyrie has been very bad. Guys 3-8 has been atrocious. Recipe for a sweep. Boston is just too deep. There is a reason they are the #1 overall seed and won 64 games. They have so many guys who can score and you have to account for every single guy on the floor. This wasn't the case for Dallas against their West opponents. Maybe OKC but even they don't compare to the depth of Boston.

We have seen series in the past turn when the venue changes. The one that comes to mind is 2005 SA/Detroit. SA beat down Detroit in embarrassing fashion games 1 and 2 in SA. They go back to Detroit and Detroit beats down SA two times in a row embarrassingly to tie the series. That was a weird series where most the games were blowouts but it went 7. Role players usually play better at home but Dallas has prided itself on being road warriors these playoffs. So not sure the home court will be a cure. To win this series, Luka/Kyrie need about 70 total and need to find the rest from guys 3-8. But Kyrie isn't doing shit to help and Luka is just running out of gas, especially being as banged up as he is.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Lebron won't be around in two years.  I know Hurley is a northeasterner through and through, but I don't agree with this decision,.

Maybe not but you will still have to deal with Lebron right now. They aren't currently built to really be a title contender in the West. He can cement himself as a college coaching legend going for the 3 peat this coming season.

47 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah that’s the only fanbase in all of sports that ever use the term “we”

Come On Please GIF by NBA

Of course not. But their fanbases have to come closest to near 100% usage. Just super weird to me with regards to pro sports. Carry on.

The only people surprised by this outcome two games into the series seem to be Dallas fans. NBA media was hyping Dallas’ backcourt as “one of the best of all time” because that’s their job. Everyone knew that was complete bullshit, but at the end of the day their job is to sell the series. The Celtics will close this out in 5. 

Posted (edited)

When the Lakers can't outbid Kentucky:

Reportedly, the University of Kentucky pursued Dan Hurley this offseason to make him their head coach, offering $12.5 million annually to become the highest-paid coach in college basketball. Meanwhile, the Lakers' top 'all in' offer to Hurley was $11.6 million.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

There is an off chance Luka gets Finals MVP even if Dallas loses. It's hard to argue that he's not the best player in the series so far, but the award almost always goes to a member of the winning team. We might see that here if the rest of the Dallas team continues to screw around for 2 more games while Luka shines. 

They might give it to Brown or even Luka, but so far the most valuable player has been Jrue Holliday.

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Basketball is a game of matchups.  I think Denver would’ve beaten boston

Nuggets are the only team that swept Boston in the regular season.  I sure would have liked to see it.  Oh, well.  Maybe next year.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

If true, I always wondered how a NE guy like Hurley would be able to adjust to LA.

It's like moving to a foreign country just to be paid more while taking on a lot more bullshit. 😋