NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If true, I always wondered how a NE guy like Hurley would be able to adjust to LA.

It's like moving to a foreign country just to be paid more while taking on a lot more bullshit. 😋

He would have been fired in 2 season tops

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

The only people surprised by this outcome two games into the series seem to be Dallas fans. NBA media was hyping Dallas’ backcourt as “one of the best of all time” because that’s their job. Everyone knew that was complete bullshit, but at the end of the day their job is to sell the series. The Celtics will close this out in 5. 

My rationale was Boston played in a weaker conference and almost lost every game vs the playoffs.   But outside of Luka, nobody else has shown up for Dallas.  Sad

29 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If true, I always wondered how a NE guy like Hurley would be able to adjust to LA.

It's like moving to a foreign country just to be paid more while taking on a lot more bullshit. 😋

Paid more in gross terms. I believe the married income tax rate for earnings over $1MM is double in the state of California compared to Connecticut. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

Well, if your team had more 1 fucking championship in their history maybe you would also gloat about the number of banners. But since your team is practically irrelevant to the basketball landscape, you feel the need to “cringe” at the storied history of our team. And yes, we use “we” because the Celtics belong to the city of Boston. I assume you also use “we” when discussing anything regarding aggy considering that’s the team that inhabits that shithole town you decided to go to school in. 

I'm torn about this post. 
On the one hand,  you're being an a giant asshole about aggy. So, respeck. 

But on the other, it's cringy and insecure. Yes, @Vertuzzi Dallas is "practically irrelevant to the basketball landscape." That means that if you see a Dallas fan, they are actually Dallas fans, and not just frontrunners who need the approval of national media and clout chasers to feel good themselves. Because Dallas is so irrelevant and the 3rd most popular team in Texas by a wide margin the Dallas fans you encounter are almost always from Dallas or greater DFW, and consequently root for Dallas because it's our home team. 

The Mavericks were a fanchise with a bright future for exactly 6 years - from 1981-87. From that point on, it has been a tragicomic, extended story of human frailties, bad beats, bad luck, screw jobs and screw ups, punctuated by a couple of bright spots followed by letdowns and frustration. And yet, despite that fact, here we are as fans, with a franchise we love that mostly loves us back. 
You, on the other hand, are a fan of the Celtics - the most storied traditional power in the history of the league. And you think there's something you can say to Dallas Mavericks fan we haven't heard or even thought about our own home team?  That the owner was crazy? That FAs don't want to sign there? That we're always a player away? That we have very little to show for our support for the last 40 years?  Or, and here's what you are saying - that we're irrelevant? That is all true, and you could have said all that about the Warriors in 2013.  And maybe it doesn't go that well for the Mavericks or maybe it does, but the bottom line is that as fans of the Mavericks we have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

I'm just sorry you can't enjoy you can't enjoy the success of your home team without permission from Stephen A Smith. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm torn about this post. 
On the one hand,  you're being an a giant asshole about aggy. So, respeck. 

But on the other, it's cringy and insecure. Yes, @Vertuzzi Dallas is "practically irrelevant to the basketball landscape." That means that if you see a Dallas fan, they are actually Dallas fans, and not just frontrunners who need the approval of national media and clout chasers to feel good themselves. Because Dallas is so irrelevant and the 3rd most popular team in Texas by a wide margin the Dallas fans you encounter are almost always from Dallas or greater DFW, and consequently root for Dallas because it's our home team. 

The Mavericks were a fanchise with a bright future for exactly 6 years - from 1981-87. From that point on, it has been a tragicomic, extended story of human frailties, bad beats, bad luck, screw jobs and screw ups, punctuated by letdowns and frustration, punctuated by a couple of bright spots. And yet, despite that fact, here we are as fans, with a franchise we love that mostly loves us back. 
You, on the other hand, are a fan of the Celtics - the most storied traditional power in the history of the league. And you think there's something you can say to Dallas Mavericks fan we haven't heard or even thought about our own home team?  That the owner was crazy? That FAs don't want to sign there? That we're always a player away? That we have very little to show for our support for the last 40 years?  Or, and here's what you are saying - that we're irrelevant? That is all true, and you could have said all that about the Warriors in 2013.  And maybe it doesn't go that well for the Mavericks or maybe it does, but the bottom line is that as fans of the Mavericks we have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

I'm just sorry you can't enjoy you can't enjoy the success of your home team without permission from Stephen A Smith. 

You think any Celtics fan cares what that clown has to say about our team? He actively roots against Boston, which he should considering the city he grew up in. The Celtics’ success far precedes that skinny fuck running his mouth all day on that awful network. 

Regarding the Mavs, our fans are generally agnostic about your franchise due to lack of exposure. It’s obviously different now with a Finals matchup but Boston fans couldn’t care less about the Mavs.

What I have noticed coming from Dallas fans in both this thread, the Mavs thread, and the Stars thread, is that you guys hate our guts, and I’m not really sure why. Maybe it’s due to arrogance but have you spent time around any fans in LA, NY, or Chicago? There’s really no difference. We take our sports fandom seriously and that tends to make other fans uncomfortable, to the point of generalizing all of us based on the actions of a few dickheads. 

It’s unfortunate because I enjoy shit talking and welcome it right back. But most fans are simply unable to engage in anything resembling coherent shit talk. It’s usually just the same, unoriginal “Boston fans are scumbag racists.” We’re not and I’m assuming most Dallas fans have never even stepped foot in the city of Boston, much less the Commonwealth. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

You think any Celtics fan cares what that clown has to say about our team? He actively roots against Boston, which he should considering the city he grew up in. The Celtics’ success far precedes that skinny fuck running his mouth all day on that awful network. 

Regarding the Mavs, our fans are generally agnostic about your franchise due to lack of exposure. It’s obviously different now with a Finals matchup but Boston fans couldn’t care less about the Mavs.

What I have noticed coming from Dallas fans in both this thread, the Mavs thread, and the Stars thread, is that you guys hate our guts, and I’m not really sure why. Maybe it’s due to arrogance but have you spent time around any fans in LA, NY, or Chicago? There’s really no difference. We take our sports fandom seriously and that tends to make other fans uncomfortable, to the point of generalizing all of us based on the actions of a few dickheads. 

It’s unfortunate because I enjoy shit talking and welcome it right back. But most fans are simply unable to engage in anything resembling coherent shit talk. It’s usually just the same, unoriginal “Boston fans are scumbag racists.” We’re not and I’m assuming most Dallas fans have never even stepped foot in the city of Boston, much less the Commonwealth. 

If You Say So Shrug GIF

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah they for sure lowballed Hurley. I can’t believe they didn’t even get up to $100 million. If they had offered him Spoelstra’s contact, maybe they get a different answer. 

11M is a lot, for the Lakers.  The Buss's are sort of poor.  But yeah, that contract is lower than Monty Williams.

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah they for sure lowballed Hurley. I can’t believe they didn’t even get up to $100 million. If they had offered him Spoelstra’s contact, maybe they get a different answer. 

Several folks today have said $100mill needed to happen but reportedly didn't. 

Others know more on here than me, but I've heard Lakers are often "cheap" in their offers to Head Coaches...

45 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

They might give it to Brown or even Luka, but so far the most valuable player has been Jrue Holliday.

I agree, but I also wonder if there will be a vote split among Boston players that allows Luka to slide in there and get the award too. Still more basketball to play, and someone could play their way in or out of it. Tatum is due for a big game. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

You, on the other hand, are a fan of the Celtics - the most storied traditional power in the history of the league.

But I've got a feeling he's been alive for just as Many Celtics championships to date as Mavs championships.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

42 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

It’s unfortunate because I enjoy shit talking and welcome it right back. But most fans are simply unable to engage in anything resembling coherent shit talk. It’s usually just the same, unoriginal “Boston fans are scumbag racists.

This coming from the same guy who keeps saying over and over Kyrie is a loser and will quit on the Mavs? Not exactly what I'd call coherent original shit talk. 

2 minutes ago, ITHorn said:

This coming from the same guy who keeps saying over and over Kyrie is a loser and will quit on the Mavs? Not exactly what I'd call coherent original shit talk. 

Well, it’s a fact. See his last three stops before Dallas for reference. 

18 minutes ago, Skipper said:

But I've got a feeling he's been alive for just as Many Celtics championships to date as Mavs championships.

Ironically the same number of Stanley Cups won by the equally irrelevant Dallas Stars (and Boston Bruins).

1 hour ago, Vertuzzi said:

Well, it’s a fact. See his last three stops before Dallas for reference. 

Debatable at best. Not like KP who literally admitted to quitting in the middle of a playoff series because he wasn’t happy about being the second best player on his team. 

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

giphy.gif

Don’t lose to San Antonio and you maybe could’ve had that opportunity emoji4.png

This wasn't the Nuggets year no matter who they played.  They should have gotten some rest for key guys who were banged up instead of pushing for the #1 seed.  Next year I'd rather see them come into the playoffs as a healthy #4 seed vs what they did this year trying to get the #1.  They're not going far when 2 of their starters (Murray and KCP) are hurt going into the playoffs.

You might want to worry about how the Wolves are going to keep that roster together.  Gets prohibitively expensive going forward and you've got an ownership dispute.

4 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

A few months back I learned that those two guys did not like each other and had a fight backstage of SNL.

Yep.  I was getting ready to kick Chevy's ass but Belushi stepped in between us.

BTW, we improvised most of that "pool or pond" scene.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Gonna need some big wigs to break that down for us

Here yah go... sounds worse than day-to-day

"Celtics center Kristaps Porzingis has 'rare injury' to left leg, day to day for NBA Finals

Jeff Zillgitt.   USA TODAY

DALLAS – Boston Celtics center Kristaps Porzingis has what the team has called a “rare injury” to his left leg that leaves him day to day for the rest of the NBA Finals.

Porzingis sustained a “torn medial retinaculum allowing disclocation of the posterior tibialis tendon” in Boston’s 105-98 victory against Dallas in Game 2 Sunday.

Celtics coach Joe Mazzulla called it a serious injury and said Porzingis is “doing anything and everything he can to be able to play, adding, "At the end of the day, our team and the medical team is not going to put him in any bad situations. We've taken the decision to play out of his hands because the importance of him. He's going to do everything can he to play. We're going to leave it up to our medical team."

Said Porzingis: “I’ll see how I am (Wednesday). Obviously, I’ll do whatever I can to be out there, and we’ll see.”

The injury happened with 3:27 left in the third quarter.

Certified athletic trainer Jeff Stotts, who maintains a comprehensive database of NBA injuries, posted on social media that he has just one other incident of a similar injury in his database.

“If the retinaculum is torn, the tendon can slip out of place, causing pain and instability of the ankle and foot,” Stotts posted.

Porzingis has had multiple foot and ankle injuries and just returned to the playoffs for Game 1 of the NBA Finals, after missing more nearly six weeks with a right calf injury. He had 20 points, six rebounds and three blocks in Game 1 and 12 points and four rebounds in Game 2.

What is the posterior tibialis tendon?

A posterior tibial tendon, according to the Cleveland Clinic, “connects your calf muscle to bones on the inside of your foot. The main purpose of the tendon is to support the arch on the inside of your foot. When the tendon is injured or breaks down, it may no longer be able to support the arch. It can be a painful injury that negatively affects foot and ankle movements, including walking and running.”

A dislocated posterior tibialis dislocation is considered rare and painful.

What is a retinaculum?

According Stotts, the retinaculum is a “connective tissue that serves as the roof of the tarsal tunnel (think carpal tunnel but in the foot). It anchors multiple structures in place, including the tendon of the posterior tibialis.”

How is a disclocated posterior tibialis tendon treated?

Surgery is an option, but Porzingis isn't taking that option, at least now. Rest, ice, medicine, physical therapy and orthotics are common treatments, according to the Cleveland Clinic

Helps Mavs have a better shot in Finals if they win next two games. 

Horford will likely wear down in a 6-7gm series.