2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread - I'm watching, just like you guys

gsoda3

55 minutes ago, fellside said:

Dallas will just switch everything.

48 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Yes they will. I mean I guess the idea has merit, but we are an excellent defensive team, and that includes Luka. Yes, Luka is a plus defender. If he is worn out, it’d be a change from the past series where they tried the same shit and failed. Also if he’s worn out, Kyrie can take over.

we can't switch too much off-ball before we're basically playing a zone defense.  if they catch us switching on backside screens while they're running a PnR to get into the lane on the other part of the floor we're meat.  either the lane's going to be wide open or there's a corner 3 open.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

lively yeah he's alright on the perimeter but gafford is not good at all out there.  we're going to find out really quickly, i mean in the first 3 possessions quickly, what happens when gafford tries to guard kp or tatum on the line and the rotating starts happening.  please be not awful.  i'm ok with a single digit negative plus minus, just don't be awful.  

Yeah he was awful against Holmgren. Come on man. Are our bigs (both) susceptible to a hot shooting KP?  Yes. So what?

41 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Yeah he was awful against Holmgren. Come on man. Are our bigs (both) susceptible to a hot shooting KP?  Yes. So what?

Wait are you saying Gaff did well against OKC? Even with Chet being in constant foul trouble and shooting a combined 4/22 from 3 point land over the entire series (18%!) Gafford was AWFUL as the primary defender against Chet and JWill.  They PnRed him to death. 

Gafford against OKC guarding Chet and JWill

LIvely against OKC guarding Chet and JWill

Posted (edited)

I'm more interested to see how they attack Dallas in the paint. Boston is going to hit a good amount of threes but if the Derick Whites of the world are getting to the rim we'll be cooked. Call me a skeptic but I just don't see old man AH or KP coming off a serious calf injury banging down low with much success. 

Edited by ITHorn

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Wait are you saying Gaff did well against OKC? Even with Chet being in constant foul trouble and shooting a combined 4/22 from 3 point land over the entire series (18%!) Gafford was AWFUL as the primary defender against Chet and JWill.  They PnRed him to death. 

Gafford against OKC guarding Chet and JWill

LIvely against OKC guarding Chet and JWill

You’re anti-Gafford. I do agree Lively was more effective and better in the series, and a rangier defender getting to the perimeter, and Gafford just wasn’t right against OKC. But Towns posed the same threat and Gafford played GREAT that whole series averaging 11, 6 and 3 (blocks).

1 hour ago, RexWilson said:

I am guessing Maxi will be getting some Gafford minutes. 

Also, this. KP by himself, even guarded by Gafford, doesn’t concern me at all. If KP gets hot, it happens.  

23 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

.25f99e742b2ae35b43aff9f401763c1e.jpg

What a bunch of fucking losers that we all already know they are. You’re the most storied pro basketball city ever, and you’re obsessed with a guy that didn’t work out.  It is nuts that Boston sports fans are actually worse than Philly fans, and make NYC fans utterly tame. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ITHorn said:

I'm more interested to see how they attack Dallas in the paint. Boston is going to hit a good amount of threes but if the Derick Whites of the world are getting to the rim we'll be cooked. Call me a skeptic but I just don't see old man AH or KP coming off a serious calf injury banging down low with much success. 

Getting to the rim like Shai and Ant did?  We are fine. We have no glaring mismatches offensively or defensively. Boston has a very good starting lineup and we will be tested. They are long, athletic and can shoot.  If they beat us, it won’t be because they exploited some obvious hole. 

Kidd is coaching a hell of a playoffs run. He has really come into his own. 

23 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Getting to the rim like Shai and Ant did?  We are fine. We have no glaring mismatches offensively or defensively. Boston has a very good starting lineup and we will be tested. They are long, athletic and can shoot.  If they beat us, it won’t be because they exploited some obvious hole. 

Kidd is coaching a hell of a playoffs run. He has really come into his own. 

I'm not calling it a glaring weakness but if you look the losses we've had in the playoffs outside of the total collapse against OKC they have all involved getting outscored in the paint. Just an observation, nothing more...

1 minute ago, ITHorn said:

I'm not calling it a glaring weakness but if you look the losses we've had in the playoffs outside of the total collapse against OKC they have all involved getting outscored in the paint. Just an observation, nothing more...

I don’t presently see it with lob city and Luka and Kyrie taking it to the hole. 

Yeah I think it’s pretty even skill/ scheme/ size/ etc. Where I think we have an advantage is that we have 2 bad motherfuckers and they have zero. 

KP getting hot scares someone? He’ll get in his own head and probably miss more games. Tatum knows Luka is that motherfucker. Kyrie has a built in edge. Not sure where they are getting their Jordan/Kobe from, but I know we have 2 dudes that can deliver it. 

5 hours ago, RexWilson said:

I am guessing Maxi will be getting some Gafford minutes. 

Perk gets a bad rep for supposedly bad mouthing Luka,  but I've seen Perk big up Luka just as often as I've seen him criticizing Luka.

Also, this. KP by himself, even guarded by Gafford, doesn’t concern me at all. If KP gets hot, it happens.  
I'm not anti gafford one but, Im a huge fan. I just see he can't defend the perimeter. The issue is more than KP getting hot and hitting a bunch of 3s. Our defense is predicated on the perimeter guys funneling their players to the paint. That's where gafford and lively reside. Go back to any game the last two months and watch us get set up on defense- gaff And lively float there until their man comes to them. But they're not going to be there if they're guarding the three-point line which we have to against Boston.

4 hours ago, ITHorn said:

We very well might lose the series to Boston, but it certainly isn't going to be because they beat us in the paint. I think the Mavs are going to run with what got them here--meaning they are going to wall off the paint and make Boston win with 3s. I predict we are going to get absolutely blown out in the games we lose and squeak by games we win. Hopefully that's enough to win 4. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:
5 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

I'm not anti gafford one but, Im a huge fan. I just see he can't defend the perimeter. The issue is more than KP getting hot and hitting a bunch of 3s. Our defense is predicated on the perimeter guys funneling their players to the paint. That's where gafford and lively reside. Go back to any game the last two months and watch us get set up on defense- gaff And lively float there until their man comes to them. But they're not going to be there if they're guarding the three-point line which we have to against Boston.

It wasn’t really a big deal against OKC and it wasn’t at all against Minn. I’m just not concerned about that. 

28 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

I was surprised to see Tatum is only 29% 3p in the playoffs. He is their lowest % shooter out of the guys who get meaningful minutes. (I watched Boston about 5 minutes out of the entire playoffs)

I haven't watched much of them either but he's a career 35% 3-point shooter in the playoffs. I would bet that corrects itself in this series some. Unless other teams have found some way to slow him down the Mavs can copy. 

It wasn’t really a big deal against OKC and it wasn’t at all against Minn. I’m just not concerned about that. 
It wasn't an issue because we could afford to leave someone unguarded on the perimeter - namely giddy. Against Boston we can't leave anyone alone. I hope you're right though.

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:
1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

It wasn't an issue because we could afford to leave someone unguarded on the perimeter - namely giddy. Against Boston we can't leave anyone alone. I hope you're right though.

Hope I am too. All teams get cold. Most for large stretches of every game. I fully expect we will lose 1-2 games solely due to hot shooting.  That’s fine.

Kidd, Luka and Ky are master orchestrators of runs.  Knowing when to stay cool when the other team is hot, knowing how to conserve energy, and knowing when to strike. And they throw fucking daggers. 

No dog in the fight but definitely rooting for Dallas. Boston is rightly favored but if Luka is the best player on the floor for 5 out of 7 games then Dallas has a great shot. 

I put on my 2011 Championship shirt for good luck purposes. 

Without looking it up, who can name the 15 players listed on the 2011 championship roster?

I’ll try

Dirk,Brian cardinal, Jason Terry, Antawn Jamison, Shawn Marion, JJ barrea, Shawn Bradley, Jason Kidd, Adrian griffin, Raef Lafrentz, Keith van horn,
Steve Alford, detlef schrempf

9 hours ago, 'stache said:

Not feeling confident. Last time I typed that I think was before Game 5 v. OKC. Hoping for the same result.

Pussy. Mavs in 6. 

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

.ff458a11eeabf2bf902cf09f2cad9293.jpg

Top row is easy money. 

7-game series are so great. No matter who wins tonight, and by how much, I strongly suspect the other team will win Game 2. I don’t know how this series will unfold but strongly feel it’s going back to Dallas 1-1