2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread - I'm watching, just like you guys

gsoda3

I'm sure it will be all about proving dallas wrong like that pussy porzingas being hurt all the time.
Funny thing is over the 5 games we played boston KP had 2 separate injury issues.

And then a week later we give NY the 1st rounder we owe them for giving us KP.

• Rage+1 3

Not going to pretend like I watched any Pistons basketball, but potential deal for THJ:

Would be amazing if we get Grimes for THj. As good as DJjr has been Grimes would instantly be our best on ball defender. He reminds me a lot of Jrue Holiday on defense. Since Detroit is so much under the cap we wouldn't have to take back matching salaries so there's our money to sign DJjr. It'd probably be THj + 2 second rounders? I'd hope it wouldn't take any of our firsts.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
7 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:
Not going to pretend like I watched any Pistons basketball, but potential deal for THJ:

Would be amazing if we get Grimes for THj. As good as DJjr has been Grimes would instantly be our best on ball defender. He reminds me a lot of Jrue Holiday on defense. Since Detroit is so much under the cap we wouldn't have to take back matching salaries so there's our money to sign DJjr. It'd probably be THj + 2 second rounders? I'd hope it wouldn't take any of our firsts.

Having Luka is so nice. These marginal improvements can pay huge dividends. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I really like this pickup. Grimes actually has a fair bit of upside compared to what THJ is at this point. I like the chances of getting something meaningful out of him in a big contract year. Guys with this type of defensive tenacity should thrive under a coach like Kidd.

7 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Seems like this makes Josh Green expendable, no?

I think so. Re the klay rumors... We could try to trade green into cap space and then use that to sign klay.  OR, and this would be cold... We give all 26 million to klay and tell DJ thanks but no thanks. I think we give DJ that non tax MLE and try to get klay for 13. 

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

I think so. Re the klay rumors... We could try to trade green into cap space and then use that to sign klay.  OR, and this would be cold... We give all 26 million to klay and tell DJ thanks but no thanks. I think we give DJ that non tax MLE and try to get klay for 13. 

Surely the Warriors aren’t going to let Klay walk for $13 million, right?

6 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

For Klay it comes down to the price and role. I wish he would become the new Jamal Crawford and kill it off the bench. If we give up Maxi and Green to match salary and can’t afford DJJ, I don’t think it is the right move. 

Stein reported that Mavs believe DJJ is in (he intends to re-sign) and they can work to get Klay before signing him.

While I love DJJ and hoped he came back in perfectly happy with this.

Naji is a full year younger, is a better shooter, and just as good a defender or close enough.

Their stats are similar and Naji didn’t have the benefit of playing next to Luka/kyrie. There’s a chance he can level up a little bit.

Also 9 mil over 12-14 mil for DJJ.

I hope jones gets the big pay day. He earned it.

And im glad Nico moved on quickly. The old Mavs regime would have waited and lost out.

Marshall good player. 39% from 3 and strong defender. Analytically, slightly better than DJJ but in limited minutes so who knows. the 3 point shooting could be big with the looks that DJJ was missing.

Agreed. I think he might even be more efficient in his offense being spoon fed the ball.

Just like I think Klay is MUCH better having less pressure and less strain on his knees here than the movement offense in GS.

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

Agreed. I think he might even be more efficient in his offense being spoon fed the ball.

Just like I think Klay is MUCH better having less pressure and less strain on his knees here than the movement offense in GS.

Hopefully! Marshall can also dribble, which should be useful for attacking and just taking some time off Luka and Kyrie, even if just bringing it up. DJJ putting it on the ground was a spectacle all season. Definitely agree with Klay.

• Like 1

Don't fault the guy at all for taking the extra few million when this deal was bigger than his entire career earnings up to this point. Interesting to see that the Clippers didn't feel like the waiting period was really an obstacle to negotiation. Will be interesting to see if any more clarification comes out of that. Not sure that Dallas pivots to Naji if they knew they could lock in DJJ for under the full MLE unless they had some sort of indication Klay was coming into the fold. I could see them being upfront with DDJ and telling him to get paid a bit more while retaining a starting role.