2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread - I'm watching, just like you guys

gsoda3

love the klay signing.  too many people just watched the last play in game and saw him go 0/10.  guys he had a good year shooting last year.  made 220 SPOT UP threes at a 40% clip.  THj made 211 TOTAL threes last season.  

still have to see what GSW wants back.  i hope they don't think they're entitled to one of our first rounders.  i'm ok giving them one of the 2nd rounders we got back from charlotte.  but that's it.  

let's go get a defensive minded PG (Dennis Smith Jr...?) and call it an offseason.

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

So we swapped out THJ, DJJ, and Josh for Quinton Grimes, Naji Marshall and a washed Klay? 
I’ve got some heartburn about DJJ but I can live with this. 

unbelievable job by Nico. 

salaries are for 2024 - 2025

THjr ($16) --> Klay (~$16.5ish)

DJjr ($10) --> Naji ($9)

Josh Green ($12.6) --> quentin grimes ($4.3)

all for the cost of 1 second round draft pick.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

no but he signed during the worst part of the year weather wise. 

look don't harsh this vibe! this is the best FA signing we've ever had.

And the Saints were in Training Camp when Katrina hit.  Who gives a shit what the weather was on a day you signed a contract?  

Hey, it was lovely weather on the USS Missouri when the Emperor signed the docs to quit fighting.  I bet the warm sun made him feel that much better about signing that day.  

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

And the Saints were in Training Camp when Katrina hit.  Who gives a shit what the weather was on a day you signed a contract?  

Hey, it was lovely weather on the USS Missouri when the Emperor signed the docs to quit fighting.  I bet the warm sun made him feel that much better about signing that day.  

i hope the high pressure dome sits over your little spot in waco for the next 4 months. 

it makes a difference when you're considering where you might spend a considerable portion of the next 3 years.  our season ended 2 weeks ago.  he's going to be in dallas starting september.  when he's looking for a place this summer and the heat's coming at you from above and below it makes a difference.

woj just said GSW is getting the trade exemption and a 2nd rounder back from charlotte.  so it looks like it might be getting close to official.

Edited by gsoda3

2 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I know Donny got us a chip but Nico is WAY better as a GM.

Cuban's role diminishing is a big part of the solution as well. His total abdication of the draft for much of his time at the helm was a big part of why we only got to 1 NBA Final during Dirk's peak years 2005-2008. As a result we never had any tradeable assets to build around Dirk when he was arguably the best player in the league (2006, 2007, and 2008). Getting to the finals and winning it in 2011 was an absolute miracle, but Dirk's career in Dallas was completely mismanaged. Now we see what having actual young assets on the roster can do for us in building a complete roster.  And to  think we did all this while still mismanaging Brunson who was another asset we could've further enriched itself with by trading.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Cuban's role diminishing is a big part of the solution as well. His total abdication of the draft for much of his time at the helm was a big part of why we only got to 1 NBA Final during Dirk's peak years 2005-2008. As a result we never had any tradeable assets to build around Dirk when he was arguably the best player in the league (2006, 2007, and 2008). Getting to the finals and winning it in 2011 was an absolute miracle, but Dirk's career in Dallas was completely mismanaged. Now we see what having actual young assets on the roster can do for us in building a complete roster.  And to  think we did all this while still mismanaging Brunson who was another asset we could've further enriched itself with by trading.  

All of this. Cubes taking a backseat to actual basketball people has made a world of difference. The biggest thing I like about Nico is he has no problem admitting when he messed up. He finds ways to right a wrong and doesn't get stuck in the sunk cost fallacy. See Javale McGee and Grant Williams. 

Nobody is ever going to get every move right, but not stacking bad decisions upon bad decisions leads to great results when you have a star player--shocking I know. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i hope the high pressure dome sits over your little spot in waco for the next 4 months. 

it makes a difference when you're considering where you might spend a considerable portion of the next 3 years.  our season ended 2 weeks ago.  he's going to be in dallas starting september.  when he's looking for a place this summer and the heat's coming at you from above and below it makes a difference.

woj just said GSW is getting the trade exemption and a 2nd rounder back from charlotte.  so it looks like it might be getting close to official.

It's as if you think he hasn't been to Dallas during the season dozens of times in the past 12 years.  

Of all the takes on free agent signings I've seen over the years, this is definitely one of them.  

58 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

It's as if you think he hasn't been to Dallas during the season dozens of times in the past 12 years.  

Of all the takes on free agent signings I've seen over the years, this is definitely one of them.  

I've got all kinds of takes. You should hear the bad ones.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

If you want to see a bad GM see every GM that has given Paul George everything he wants. He's gonna be a billionaire and never accomplished anything. 

I don’t know about that one. I think adding Playoff P on a max deal may be the key to getting Embiid out of the second round. 

16 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

I've got all kinds of takes. You should hear the bad ones.

I bet those are things like Gergg Beerspiller is a quality manager that just needs more time 

10 minutes ago, ITHorn said:

I don’t know about that one. I think adding Playoff P on a max deal may be the key to getting Embiid out of the second round. 

Is Playoff P gonna step on Embiid’s ankle?   That might be the way to get him out of the second round.  

Absolute steal for Klay.

Yes he’s not “KLAY” of the dynasty days but Dallas doesn’t need that.

He’s not “washed” he’s just older and coming off knee surgeries(he’ll be 2-3 years removed now). He’ll have w clear role and won’t be as pressured to move as much and run around screens to create his shot. M

He’ll have the easiest shots of his career now. And he actually shot 41% from 3 after the all star break. He was getting better after a bad first half(until his awful play in performance).

Also his lack of defense is sorely overrated. No he’s not the best two way player anymore but his defense is not “bad”. He’s just not the primary POA defender he used to be.

He won’t hurt their defense at all. Losing DJJ does though.

18 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

the lakers offered klay 4/$80.  he's from LA-  his family still live there, HE still lives there.  he turned down thirty million dollars to come to the sweltering suburban surface of the sun that is dallas in the summer.  

I'm sure the LeBron circus in LA with Reddick being an unknown might have been a something for him to think about.  but 30M is a lot of cash.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

so we've given up 5 second round picks this offseason?

Yes but I don't know where one of them came from. 

Three for the hardaway Jr trade.  Our 2025 originally from Toronto and two 2028s.

Then two for klay.  This is puzzling though.  One of the 2nd rounders is our own from 2031, but the other is a 2025, the worse of either philly's or Denver's that we somehow hold? I can't track down how we got that.  We did have a 2nd rounder in 2025 but we sent it to Detroit with TJj.  Did we get it from Charlotte for Josh Green and forward it on to GSW?

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

so we have our own 2031 2nd rounder and also charlotte's 2031 2nd rounder?  

I could have sworn it was tweeted that we kept the Charlotte 2031 2nd rounder and gave up ours.

Somehow we traded 5 second round picks, and still have 1 left even thought we started FA with only 4.

On 7/2/2024 at 9:33 AM, dcar00 said:

I'm sure the LeBron circus in LA with Reddick being an unknown might have been a something for him to think about.  but 30M is a lot of cash.

I know it's always talked about and never really a reality, but playing 5-7% of your games in CA for the next few years vs playing 57-60% of your games there is about a $2mm/year difference in State income taxes.  He's basically making negligibly less net per year on a known commodity vs joining a circus.  

The Lakers really do seem like a real mess, just making money off James while the still can. They don't seem to really have much momentum to overcome the Western Conference teams that are thriving like Denver, Minneapolis, and the Mavs got even better this week. I also saw a headline that Slovenia lost to Croatia and Luka did well but still looked hurt. I know home country pride is really meaningful, especially in Europe, but I selfishly hope they don't make the Olympics so he can just rest for a while and get back to 100%. 

Edited by 'stache

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

The Lakers really do seem like a real mess, just making money off James while the still can. They don't seem to really have much momentum to overcome the Western Conference teams that are thriving like Denver, Minneapolis, and the Mavs got even better this week. I also saw a headline that Slovenia lost to Croatia and Luka did well but still looked hurt. I know home country pride is really meaningful, especially in Europe, but I selfishly hope they don't make the Olympics so he can just rest for a while and get back to 100%. 

The Lakers are trying to make as much money off Lebron as they can, and he’s naive and narcissistic enough to believe that he’s “this close” again.  As an org, you may as well pad the coffers.  As a player, you’re either hopelessly regarded or scarily narcissistic to believe you’re still right there.  

but then again, we don’t understand the good of China’s ambitions. 

Edited by Trey3216

The Lakers are trying to make as much money off Lebron as they can, and he’s naive and narcissistic enough to believe that he’s “this close” again.  As an org, you may as well pad the coffers.  As a player, you’re either hopelessly regarded or scarily narcissistic to believe you’re still right there.  

but then again, we don’t understand the good of China’s ambitions. 
I don't think LeBron is naive to think this team is close. He knows they are nothing more than a play in team which is why he just wants the most money he can make and to draft his son for the fuck of it. He'll play for his son for some time and then retire. Both sides are benefitting from each other.