2023-24 Houston Rockets Thread - Climbing out of the Gutter?

BigOrange1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very happy with the Reed Sheppard pick. This kid is a baller. 

So current 10 man rotation looks like FVV/Jalen/Brooks/Jabari/Sengun with Amen/Sheppard/Cam/Tari/Steven Adams, right? 

IMO Dillon Brooks is the expendable player here. If we don't get the best version of him, his minutes need to decrease significantly. I'd be happy if we could trade him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Must have been injured last year, because his rookie season showed a lot of offensive promise.

He fell in the draft due to injury concerns, iirc

11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

are we moving guys ??

odd move 

6 hours ago, Fud said:

I love this as a buy low on a young 3&D wing

Love the trade-will be the second best shooter on the team after Sheppard.  The only pick that would have been more fun would have been to draft Bronny James and then hold him for ransom.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/27/2024 at 8:45 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Mark Price is probably the ceiling for Reed, right? A 4x time all star, 4x time All NBA player out of this draft would be a big, big win. 

Is there a path for Reed to play enough this season to replace FVV next season? 

A 50/40/90 player would be awesome, but I doubt this guy will ever get close to that efficiency. 

I forgot about the Summer League, it will be fun to see how bad Bronny James is compared to guys that belong in the NBA. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 8:45 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Mark Price is probably the ceiling for Reed, right? A 4x time all star, 4x time All NBA player out of this draft would be a big, big win. 

Is there a path for Reed to play enough this season to replace FVV next season? 

Mark Price’s game would look a lot different in the modern NBA-probably twice as many three point attempts and half as many assists.

I think they’d love for him to take a chunk of FVV’s minutes so they can replace the latter with someone cheaper in ‘26.  Plus Fred will get injured at some point during the season.

free agency starts in about 20 minutes.  doesn't sound like the rockets are planning on being terribly active.  i'm mostly fine with that approach, but would like to try and package landale and tate (and jeff green if necessary) for another shooter.  but that may be more of an in season type of move.  

Posted (edited)

The organization is at a cross roads. They need Sengun or Green, so most likely Sengun, to take that next step to be a max level player. Until that is settled, there is no point in bringing in vets that want to win a ring on shitty deals. Tate, Holiday, Jeff Green, Landale are 4 vets that are not likely to get a lot of playing time because of the time needed for Green, Sengun, Eason, Smith, Whitmore, Thompson, VanVleet, Brooks, Adams, and Sheppard. Then maybe you get something out of AJ Griffin if he doesn't mentally fall apart. I would love to get a starting quality wing to replace Brooks, but I don't blame the Rockets for standing pat and not paying $120M for Hartenstein.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/27/2024 at 8:30 PM, BigOrange1 said:

i don't see any reason that Amen needs to play summer league, but Sheppard, Whitmore, and Griffin all should.  

On 6/27/2024 at 8:37 PM, tx 3 putt said:

summer league isn’t a bad watch 

Maybe so, but I want Amen working on ankle strength and flexibility all summer. He can skip summer league for health.

• 2 weeks later...

The rockets wanted to be in win now mode then did nothing through free agency or trades so I guess we’re just hoping win now is with the same roster as last year and some unproven rookies? I guess they could Improve slightly from 41 wins to maybe 45/46 wins? Feels like this rebuild has taken forever and isn’t gonna produce anything but a .500 team for a few years until they can make a big trade or attract a big name in FA. Im ready for some meaningful playoff basketball again.

Feels like they are building towards next offseason. 

You have extension decisions for Green, Alpi and Jabari. 2025-2026 is a club option for FVV. 

George/Bridges or any of the guys that moved didn’t seem to be a fit for the team or timeline. 

I think they would have moved Green for an upgrade like Mitchell or Booker but it wasn’t available.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Feels like they are building towards next offseason. 

You have extension decisions for Green, Alpi and Jabari. 2025-2026 is a club option for FVV. 

George/Bridges or any of the guys that moved didn’t seem to be a fit for the team or timeline. 

I think they would have moved Green for an upgrade like Mitchell or Booker but it wasn’t available.

That is probably all true, but at the end of the day your GM and owner have to get it done. We can’t always be pointing to next year is when we make our move. That was the main thing I loved about morey, at least he swung big and tried. I’m not expecting everything to always work but damn our rebuild through the draft is slow af and I’m not even sure it’s gonna bring us anything more than what we’ve seen? Small upgrades might get us to 50 wins and the second round if we’re lucky. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/10/2024 at 7:40 AM, Rockethorn1978 said:

The rockets wanted to be in win now mode then did nothing through free agency or trades so I guess we’re just hoping win now is with the same roster as last year and some unproven rookies? I guess they could Improve slightly from 41 wins to maybe 45/46 wins? Feels like this rebuild has taken forever and isn’t gonna produce anything but a .500 team for a few years until they can make a big trade or attract a big name in FA. Im ready for some meaningful playoff basketball again.

I don't get the pessimism. They're in a good spot with seven young promising core players, and a lot of tradable assets. Just relax and follow the journey 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/30/2024 at 5:41 PM, HtownHorn said:

The Bulls are offering 1st round picks to take LaVine. I'd inquire, if anything he provides depth for whenever Green falls on his face again.

That contract is a non-starter for a Houston

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

That contract is a non-starter for a Houston

The Rockets are likely giving a worse contract to Green. I'd take LaVine and draft picks over Green and his coming shitty contract and Dillon Brooks.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The Rockets are likely giving a worse contract to Green. I'd take LaVine and draft picks over Green and his coming shitty contract and Dillon Brooks.

That's great that you think that, but Houston isn't trading for LaVine. Take it up with them 

2 hours ago, Fud said:

I don't get the pessimism. They're in a good spot with seven young promising core players, and a lot of tradable assets. Just relax and follow the journey 

This; growth because the players themselves improve while adding on the margins is how Golden State won four championships in seven years.

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m sure Green’s camp is already chirping about an extension. Barnes and Cunningham just signed full max rookie extensions. 

Jalen has been quiet, but I’m sure it’ll come up in training camp. 

I’m hoping he realizes he needs to show more consistency to get the contract that he wants. A string of games where he looks like a superstar followed by an equal period where he looks mid-tier is frustrating to say the least. 

19 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m hoping he realizes he needs to show more consistency to get the contract that he wants. A string of games where he looks like a superstar followed by an equal period where he looks mid-tier is frustrating to say the least. 

That would be great, but if his camp believes 1 team in the NBA will max him out they’re going to ask for it.