Copa America 2024 back in the USA!!

Captain Ron

3 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Completely nonsensical no-call   on that handball. Like, holy shit. 

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That was ridiculous. How do you see that and not call a PK?

trump GIF

Regarding Ecuador handball not called a PENAL!

1) Yes the ball hit his hand.

2) The hands were up in a natural position when you are lounging to get a foot on the ball. You raise your hands to counterbalance the leg.

3) The ball was kicked AWAY from goal and TOWARDS midfield.

4) (a) The hand was brought in towards his body while (b) The player turned his upper body to protect his face from getting smashed by the ball.

5) There was zero intent to play the ball with his hand, solely an effort not to get killed as a ball was getting cleared OUT of the box from close range.

6) PKs are almost never given when a player is touched while taking the ball AWAY FROM THE GOAL & HEADING OUT OF THE BOX.

No PK was the correct call.

Maurice Edu and Dr. Joe sounded like idiots for not even contemplating the things I mentioned.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

mexico = aggy

with that sorted, wtf are nacho tots?

Nacho Tots =  

image.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

2) The hands were up in a natural position when you are lounging to get a foot on the ball. You raise your hands to counterbalance the leg.

4) (a) The hand was brought in towards his body while (b) The player turned his upper body to protect his face from getting smashed by the ball.

5) There was zero intent to play the ball with his hand, solely an effort not to get killed as a ball was getting cleared OUT of the box from close range.

6) PKs are almost never given when a player is touched while taking the ball AWAY FROM THE GOAL & HEADING OUT OF THE BOX.

Maurice Edu and Dr. Joe sounded like idiots for not even contemplating the things I mentioned.

All of this is flat-out wrong.

Ecuador tried to clear the ball from their own area; Jamaican player raised his leg to bring the ball down and control it before it could leave the area. Another Ecuadoran rushes in to prevent this, raises his leg and raises his hand WELL ABOVE HIS SHOULDER in a way that was all but natural or common.

Jamaican gets to the ball first, deflects it, ball then hits the Ecuadoran player in the hand, which is now WELL ABOVE HIS SHOULDER AND IN THE DIRECT PATH OF THE BALL, which hits his hand, then face, and then hand again. Absolutely a handball.

Never seen a play like that NOT called a handball. Jamaica should've had the opportunity to equalize there.

Summary: Nap, your eyesight and opinion are bad and you should feel bad.

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

All of this is flat-out wrong.

Ecuador tried to clear the ball from their own area; Jamaican player raised his leg to bring the ball down and control it before it could leave the area. Another Ecuadoran rushes in to prevent this, raises his leg and raises his hand WELL ABOVE HIS SHOULDER in a way that was all but natural or common.

Jamaican gets to the ball first, deflects it, ball then hits the Ecuadoran player in the hand, which is now WELL ABOVE HIS SHOULDER AND IN THE DIRECT PATH OF THE BALL, which hits his hand, then face, and then hand again. Absolutely a handball.

Never seen a play like that NOT called a handball. Jamaica should've had the opportunity to equalize there.

Summary: Nap, your eyesight and opinion are bad and you should feel bad.

Where is the ball being kicked?

A) Towards the end line?

B) Towards midfield?

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Where is the ball being kicked?

A) Towards the end line?

B) Towards midfield?

Irrelevant. Did Ecuador benefit from the handled ball? Absolutely. Ergo, penalty.

And to reiterate, there was nothing natural or common about the Ecuadoran's hand position. He looked weird af on that play. Like why so high? To protect his face from the ball? Well, guess what, that's a penalty. LoL

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Nacho Tots =  

image.jpeg

Dude. You’re nuts.  This is a penalty. 

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

1) I'm wrong.

2) I'm nuts.

...yet...

3) The referee agreed with the VAR refs when deciding NO FUE UN PENAL.

...which means...

4) I am right.

Refs make mistakes all the time. So do dictators from Corsica.

The key is to learn from them, but who am I kidding? You're probably plotting your next assault on common sense from an island resort as I type this.

• Haha 1

It's kind of a dumb, small point, but the advice given to referees is that you can't call a handling foul if you play the ball onto your own hand/arm. If you believe that the video shows the ball striking the Ecuador player's face/head before it deflects to his arm, then by rule that can't be called a handling foul. I'm not saying I agree with either the rule or the video evidence. I'm saying that's how referees are instructed.

12 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

It's kind of a dumb, small point, but the advice given to referees is that you can't call a handling foul if you play the ball onto your own hand/arm. If you believe that the video shows the ball striking the Ecuador player's face/head before it deflects to his arm, then by rule that can't be called a handling foul. I'm not saying I agree with either the rule or the video evidence. I'm saying that's how referees are instructed.

Except the ball appears to hit his hand first, then his face, then his hand again.

Nothing will ever top El Vampiro biting that dude on the shoulder and, after both go to ground, Luis is next shown holding his giant, capybara-sized incisors as if he were the one injured/fouled.

It was peak shithousery.

As far as we like to believe  CONCACAF has come, CONMEBOL likes to remind us from time to time who the real masters are and how much more we could still learn from their examples.

EDIT: And, yes, I know that happened for club, not country, but Suarez is a CONMEBOL product so it gets the credit.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

7 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Nothing will ever top El Vampiro biting that dude on the shoulder and, after both go to ground, Luis is next shown holding his giant, capybara-sized incisors as if he were the one injured/fouled.

It was peak shithousery.

As far as we like to believe  CONCACAF has come, CONMEBOL likes to remind us from time to time who the real masters are and how much more we could still learn from their examples.

EDIT: And, yes, I know that happened for club, not country, but Suarez is a CONMEBOL product so it gets the credit.

Dude!

He did it for club AND country!!

Club Sammich:

image.gif.d73dbe33c0403c8ab599f2f43f2cd9e3.gif

Then later he was just getting a bite of some Italian, because he was starving in Brazil’s World Cup.

image.gif.7bc8b45f9060b08a127622088f337895.gif

After taking a tour of Camp Nou (in 2017), you could pay to take a photo next to a green player cutout and then they would impose the player of your choice onto the player. 

I chose Suarez and then I acted like I was about to chomp into him for the photo. 😁

Love that “Ouch!-Oh!” gaucho.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

Dude!

He did it for club AND country!!

Ah, fair point. And it was Chielini whom he bit on the shoulder and then pretended to act like his teeth were hurt. I just looked it up.

He also bit someone in 2010 when he played for Ajax. It looks to be the worst of all, because he did it right in front of the ref and a whole crowd of people surrounding him and the other player.

What a weird little man. Truly one of the great poachers of this generation, and his handball against Ghana was one of the top moments of the 2010 WC, but geez, did he have a bizarre way of lashing out.