Copa America 2024 back in the USA!!

Captain Ron

5 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

1. lol Southgergg losing to Panama. They got their fucking doors blown off tonight. 

2. these games suck in these soulless, quiet ass NFL stadiums. I’ve been to junior high football games with more exciting sound/entertainment than the USA-Bolivia game at JerryWorld. The lack of replays was shocking

3. WC2026 is going to suck mega dick as a fan/tv experience if they don’t figure out how to get the volume pumped up. 

The non-United States mind isn’t ready for the infinite parking lot that is Arlington

4 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

I have been an Argentina fan since the 1990 Italy World Cup and have seen them play in Copa America in Argentina. Top 3 favorite country in the world for me. Love everything about it.

Jesus dude.  At least lie and say 1986.

Saying you fell in love with Argentine football because of 1990 is like saying you became an architect after visiting pre-unification East Germany.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Jesus dude.  At least lie and say 1986.

Saying you fell in love with Argentine football because of 1990 is like saying you became an architect after visiting pre-unification East Germany.

He said that because it IS a lie

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

He said that because it IS a lie

Fuck you it was the first World Cup on regular cable and the first World Cup the US qualified for in over 4 decades. Eat shit casual.

Edited by Macklemore

5 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Fuck you it was the first World Cup on regular cable and the first World Cup the US qualified for in over 4 decades. Eat shit casual.

Damn you’re old as shit!

7 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Damn you’re old as shit!

Hey now.  None of that.

That was my first one I remember as well.  It was all on TNT. We even had the official leather Diadora game ball and the size 2/juggler with the weird mascot on it.  Some sort of erector set dude with a ball for a head.

I was 8, and yeah..I’m old.  Beats the alternative though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Damn you’re old as shit!

24 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Hey now.  None of that.

That was my first one I remember as well.  It was all on TNT. We even had the official leather Diadora game ball and the size 2/juggler with the weird mascot on it.  Some sort of erector set dude with a ball for a head.

Not that it’s a competition, but I am older than that.

I think that it was ABC that showed some of the 1986 matches live, including the opening match that featured what, back in ‘86, tied for “Goal of the Tournament”.

The earliest coverage of any kind was a tape delayed (I think) replay of the second half of the Italy v West Germany Final in Spain. (1982)

At least that’s what they showed on English speaking free TV. 

We never had cable, so I don’t think that I learned about the Spanish broadcasts until 1990.

There was some pre-tournament vignettes about various USMNT players including one where Tony Meola went over to Italy 🇮🇹 before the tournament to meet some of his distant relatives. 

Claudio Canniggia 🇦🇷 picking up a weak yellow card and not being able to play in the final against West Germany was what instigated the change in when yellow cards were wiped out. He was the only offensive player of any quality besides Diego and his yellow basically assured that W.G. would win the final.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Hey now.  None of that.

Thank you. This was the stick man logo from Italia 1990.

IMG_0107.jpeg.9b48b665f7a5217960477e18151a6125.jpeg

TNT had the rights and they actually would CUT TO COMMERCIAL during throw ins as they had determined that was the least probable time that a score might occur on the pitch. Having no commercial breaks was so foreign that TNT resorted to that shit. First US side to qualify for the World Cup since 1950 made up of underdog former college players going up against world class pros was easy to root for. Argentina was the defending champion and Diego Maradona was called the “Michael Jordan of soccer” by one of the TNT guys who’d normally do their NBA coverage and I loved their blue and white striped shirts. That was enough to hook me as a teenager and I have been an Argentina fan ever since.

Edited by Macklemore

7 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Just a reminder that Canada, fucking Canada, is in the semifinals.... This has been a weird Copa

Canada’s speed may create more issues for Argentina in this second matchup now that Jesse & friends have a better handle on Argentina’s limited pace. 

On the other hand, Scaloni should look to play Messi as more of a traditional #10 and look to spring the kids on 1-v-1 breaks rather than trying to get old Messi to outrun Canada’s flying wingers. 

(Now watch Messi have 2 breakaway goals.)

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

The payout is nice, but let's be real - this isn't going to happen.

FYI-

For tho$€ who car€,

Today is Argentina’s Independence Day.

Don’t know how that will affect their will to win, but just thought that I would pass that along to those £ooking to £ay down a £ittle money.

💰💵 💶💷💴💰

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

FYI-

For tho$€ who car€,

Today is Argentina’s Independence Day.

Don’t know how that will affect their will to win, but just thought that I would pass that along to those £ooking to £ay down a £ittle money.

💰💵 💶💷💴💰

Je suis de San Martín!

3 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i'm convinced half of all brazil and argentine supporters in the US are what we would call "t-shirt" fans

I watched Brazil v France in 2006 at a NIKE clubhouse setup in LA (Melrosw & La Brea) and a third of the 100 or so people were American kids in Brazil jerseys that were all excited to see 2002 repeat itself. 

I found great joy in watching the dreams of these kids get crushed by Zizou.

😎

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i'm convinced half of all brazil and argentine supporters in the US are what we would call "t-shirt" fans

Brazil has always been half the worlds second team.

Its more if you were going to be a tshirt fan, why buy a non descript away jersey from 20 years ago?  If it was canary yellow or light blue/white stripes, I would understand.

Argentina was just saved by Giants’ Stadium’s shitty slow grass. 

If the grass at Hard Rock Stadium is slick & fast, rather than like Velcro, Colombia 🇨🇴 can fly right by Argentina. 

Uruguay 🇺🇾 can get by, but they can’t hit the broad side of a barn.

🎯Sniper just killed De Paul!

Posted (edited)

Rodrigo De Paul is kind of like Deadpool.

He keeps getting killed, or we think he’s dead, and then he keeps coming back to life. 

Like a modern day Lazarus!

Same could be said for Ángel Di María.

Argentina has an Angel and a Messiah, both from Rosario, and a Lazarus as well.

Edited by Napoleon

3 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Jesús 

did the ball just hit the camera?

Yup. Fucking CONMEBOL production. 

However the score bug is Fox, and I gotta ask - why the hell do they put yellow cards on the score bug? It’s pointless there without more details. 

1 hour ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Is it on the federation or the fact that all these are being played in god damn football stadiums?

Or are you blaming the obvious money grab by having it here?

My blame goes to the confederation for such a cheap out on the production. It’s a step up from when the Copa is played in South America, but not much.

I mean you can see it in everything. The ads along the sides are all South American products, the VAR is so far behind what Europe uses. Etc. that’s all them. Like they didn’t ask for help or improvements. 

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Yup. Fucking CONMEBOL production.

skycam and it's competitors are RARELY used outside of the US, and the operator(s) are 100% US people

the turf quality is also likely a bait and switch which explains why conmebol have been behaving poorly towards the host/guest confederation

Posted (edited)

Must feel good for @Napoleon to see his team on a great run. In  the early days maybe 1986 US TV would cut to commercial in the middle of the few games they did broadcast. Found this posted by someone with better memory.

I'm not aware of any other matches of the '82 being shown on US TV.1986(held in Mexico) marked the beginning of extensive live English-language coverage on cable, as ESPN carried most of the weekday matches, while NBC did weekend games, interrupted by commercials. SIN continued to carry all matches live and uninterrupted.In 1990, TNT was the exclusive home of US TV coverage in English, but they continued the practice of interrupting matches for commercials. Univision(the renamed SIN) was the only place to see every minutre of every match.The ABC-ESPN deal, made prior the '94 World Cup, has defined American TV's coverage of soccer ever since, with no commercial interruptions, aside from sponsor 'billboards' onscreen.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I'm not aware of any other matches of the '82 being shown on US TV.

As I mentioned before, some part of the 1982 Final was shown on poor people English speaking TV.

We didn’t have a color TV yet, but I definitely remember seeing the dying minutes of West Germany v Italy on over the airwaves TV. They then showed the Italian backups flooding the field after the game. 

I was pulling for West Germany due to ancestry and familiarity with German soccer due to “Soccer Made In Germany”, which was a weekly highlight on Saturdays, I believe, shown on regular TV.

Wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_Made_in_Germany

According to this, perhaps I turned on the game late (ABC) or I caught the PBS segment afterwards.

IMG_7010.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I watched 1978 and 1982 world cup games in Mexico so I don't know what US TV was like until 1986 and forward. I watched TV and attended an Argentina game in the Cotton Bowl in 1994😉. I know I was pissed off about the USMNT loss to Iran in 1998 at work and everyone looked at me like what the the hell are you talking about. It was not until the 2002 that I had folks at work that were big USMNT fans just in time for dos a cero.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

I watched 1978 and 1982 world cup games in Mexico so I don't know what US TV was like until 1986 and forward. I watched TV and attended an Argentina game in the Cotton Bowl in 1994😉. I know I was pissed off about the USMNT loss to Iran in 1998 at work and everyone looked at me like what the the hell are you talking about. It was not until the 2002 that I had folks at work that were big USMNT fans just in time for dos a cero.

Yep.  I went from, "I think our goalie's name might be Meola" in '94 to avfull-fledged, Sam's Army, attendee of all the dos a cero games.  Watching the team come up was far more fun than currently when higher expectations are present.

pretty sure the 1982 games were on the spanish station in Dallas at the time as I remember watching them at a friend's house. His mom was from Chile and his dad from Canada and he lived all over south america before moving to Arlington. 

Went to the USA/Brazil game at Stanford stadium in 94. Fucking dirty ass Brazil took out our best player, got a red card and still won.

• Rage+1 1

Tab Ramos was a wizard on the ball. He sucks as a manager, but was a he'll of a player. He was born in Montevideo, Uruguay, so he grew up in The States in a soccer household.

Speaking of Uruguay...

The three remaining managers in the Copa America are Argentines.

Coincidence?

Ja ja ja ja ja... No me jodas, che!

Spanish and Portuguese-speaking soccer players playing for their national teams is basically what Shakespeare was attempting to convey when he set out to capture the full spectrum of human emotion.