Copa America 2024 back in the USA!!

Captain Ron

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again: over the last decade when it comes to international teams no one has collapsed worse than Mexico.

I don't follow this as closely as many of you, but I'm really curious as to the reason why. It's a country of 120M+, and soccer is without question the most popular sport. They've never been a consistent threat at a global level, but they've always been "pretty good". They are straight up garbage now.

Why the downfall? Why have they never been better than "pretty good".

https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/story/2024-06-27/mexico-copa-america-loss-venezuela-new-low

Some interesting points in this article from a few days ago, but nothing into the why. They are struggling at all levels, from u17 and up. Nothing into why the talent pool is dried up.

2 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

I don't follow this as closely as many of you, but I'm really curious as to the reason why. It's a country of 120M+, and soccer is without question the most popular sport. They've never been a consistent threat at a global level, but they've always been "pretty good". They are straight up garbage now.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/story/2024-06-27/mexico-copa-america-loss-venezuela-new-low

Some interesting points in this article from a few days ago, but nothing into the why. They are struggling at all levels, from u17 and up. Nothing into why the talent pool is dried up.

A lot of their team is "older" and they don't develop the young talent or give them a chance for the international team like they used to back in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Also, over the last few years I've noticed that a lot of younger talent from Mexico applies for US citizenship so they have a chance to showcase what they do on a big boy stage.  

1 hour ago, Wiler77 said:

Stop me if you've heard this one before: Their federation has prioritized the finances of their domestic league over player development.

I haven't looked directly at this within the confines of the mexican league, but what I've read, heard:

older big names players getting caps over younger up and coming players

Big club players getting priority over smaller clubs

Players being persuaded to NOT go to Europe and stay in Mexico to play

In the end there is a generation of players that just have dropped off from what they were.

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Stop me if you've heard this one before: Their federation has prioritized the finances of their domestic league over player development.

I haven't looked directly at this within the confines of the mexican league, but what I've read, heard:

older big names players getting caps over younger up and coming players

Big club players getting priority over smaller clubs

Players being persuaded to NOT go to Europe and stay in Mexico to play

In the end there is a generation of players that just have dropped off from what they were.

OK that makes sense for why they've dropped precipitously in the past decade.  USMNT would struggle even more if they encouraged all their talent to stay in the MLS.  We've even prioritized MLS players over others in recent memory with predictable results..  Historically did Mexico have a lot of players go to Europe?

I'm still curious why they've never been more than a top 10-15 soccer nation on a global stage.  They have 2 WC qtr finals in their history, and that's it.  No Copa titles.  Maybe it comes down to genetics.  The average male height in Mexico is on the low end in the Americas, which puts it on the very low end among the rest of the truly competitive soccer nations.

Or are you saying the problems you outlined above has been Mexico's problem for 50 years?

35 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

OK that makes sense for why they've dropped precipitously in the past decade.  USMNT would struggle even more if they encouraged all their talent to stay in the MLS.  We've even prioritized MLS players over others in recent memory with predictable results..  Historically did Mexico have a lot of players go to Europe?

I'm still curious why they've never been more than a top 10-15 soccer nation on a global stage.  They have 2 WC qtr finals in their history, and that's it.  No Copa titles.  Maybe it comes down to genetics.  The average male height in Mexico is on the low end in the Americas, which puts it on the very low end among the rest of the truly competitive soccer nations.

Or are you saying the problems you outlined above has been Mexico's problem for 50 years?

So on the issues I outlined

Europe -

Mexico used to get a good number before. But it has dropped off. I count 7 in the Big 5 of Europe:

https://us.soccerway.com/players/players_abroad/mexico/

Same look up for the USA - 27

On their development- this has been the biggest issue. You need to identify and develop your youth. Mexico missed a generation and is paying a price right now. The big clubs want their players featured and for some reason (likely corruption/kickbacks) they get them on the national team. This caused a generation of younger players to level off.

I would ID their issue as systematic within the last 10 or so years.

Historical/ranking

I would say this top 10-15 puts them in the 2nd tier of the World. Which isn't bad. You have basically a top 5 and then a drop and then your next 10 or so, which are good teams. But being in that group guarantees nothing. 

And it has nothing to do with genetics. Being tall isn't a requirement for soccer. It helps, but can be overcome. The current GOAT of soccer, Messi: 5'7"

• Hook 'Em 2

Colombia has advanced.

Brazil advances with any result. They will also advance with a loss so long as Costa Rica does not make up 6 goals of GD. 

Costa Rica needs to win and for Brazil to lose and make up 6 goals of GD. 

Brazil just scored on a beauty of a free kick about 30 yards out. 1-0. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I’ve been trying to figure out why all these other games are so much more enjoyable than our games.

It can’t just be that we are emotionally invested in Team U.S.A. 

And that being the case our games just eat us up inside.

I think the biggest part is our emotional investment. And us losing 2 games - one of which was a disaster - SUUUUUUUUUUUCKS.

But the real thing, at least to me, is the fact that in a lot of the games that are not the US you get to watch two well coached, well disciplined teams. A lot of the stuff we bitch the US doesn't have? Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, etc have it in spades. Watching 2 great teams is fun. And the US games already lack 1 great team.

• Hook 'Em 4