Copa America 2024 back in the USA!!

Captain Ron

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

same thing

I went to see women’s Olympic ping pong back in 1996. It was my 2nd favorite event that I went to after men’s volleyball. Great experience.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Colombia fan wearing an aggy cap. The 2 fanbases have a lot in common. I do feel sorry for him.

Oh NOOOOOO.... Colombian Aggy is blaming the US. Next he will want the corps to guard all venues. Or the Medellin Cartel.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

90s - early 00s Brazil is still the best run ever.

'94 - WC winners

'95 - Copa finalists 

'97 - Copa winners 

'98 - WC finalists 

'99 - Copa winners

'02 - WC winners 

'04 - Copa winners 

In 8 major tournaments they made 7 finals and won 5.

You stopped too soon:

BRAZIL’s next 5 years:

2005 - Confederations Cup Champions (4-1 over Argentina)

2006- World Cup Quarterfinals (lost 0-1 to Zidane & Henry)

2007- Copa America Champions (3-0 over Riquelme/ Tevez/ Messi)

2009- Confederations Cup Champions (3*-2 over Dempsey/Donovan USA, *Brazil had a 4th goal, but no VAR, so never reviewed)

7 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Colombia fan wearing an aggy cap. The 2 fanbases have a lot in common. I do feel sorry for him.

As much as this sucks for him and others, this situation will force the US to improve the World Cup security. Security shouldn’t allow you within a mile of the stadium without a ticket. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/copa-america-disaster-will-not-be-repeated-world-cup-2026/ad13bd9e98986853e1003790

Don't blame US: Copa America disaster will not be repeated when World Cup comes to North America in 2026

What will be remembered, as was the case with the Euro 2021 final at Wembley Stadium and the Champions League title game a year later in Paris between Liverpool and Real Madrid, will be the ugly scenes of soccer fans swarming the gates, backed up at the entrances for hours, and the kickoff delayed interminably.

This looks like a massive blunder by American soccer officials: failing to plan security properly, to assure only ticket-holders were allowed to approach the stadium, to establish a gate-entry plan that would enable all who were entitled to enter in time to see the event they had paid to see. Many around the sporting world are asserting it’s a demonstration of this country’s lack of fitness to stage the FIFA World Cup two summers from now.

U.S. Soccer, however, had almost nothing to do with Copa America 2024 beyond fielding a team. CONMEBOL, the South American confederation that staged this event exclusively in their continent’s venues for nearly a century, chose to exclude this nation’s governing body from the planning and execution for a simple reason: money.

CONMEBOL wanted all of that this time, and so it merely paid a fee to U.S. Soccer for the right to play the tournament here. So the South Americans should get all of the smoke for behaving like the worst Airbnb guests: apparently failing to assure proper security for the families of Uruguay players at their semifinal against Colombia in Charlotte; fumbling the assurance grass fields placed over artificial turf would be properly established and fit for competition; choosing not to insist upon fields of FIFA regulation width and overseeing the preposterous officiating both inside the stadiums and in the replay booths.

This was a CONMEBOL cash-grab, and it played out like that from the start.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Argentina needs to explain that:

“[They’re] not racist, because…

…[they] don’t have ‘other’ races.”

I heard this more than a few times in Argentina after calling out blatant racism to my (adult) English students my first couple of years down there.

French federation takes action over 'racist' Argentina chants

• ESPN News Services
Jul 16, 2024, 07:34 PM ET

The French Football Federation (FFF) is filing a legal complaint over "racist and discriminatory remarks" by Argentina players in postmatch chants about France's team after the Copa América final.

Argentina beat Colombia 1-0 on Sunday. A video posted on Instagram by Argentina midfielder Enzo Fernández and widely viewed on X showed Argentina players singing about French players with African heritage.

Fernández later apologized for singing the song featured in the video.

The same chants -- by some Argentina fans -- emerged before France and Argentina met in the World Cup final two years ago, which Argentina won.

"Given the seriousness of these shocking remarks, which are contrary to the values of sport and human rights, the FFF president has decided to contact its Argentinian counterpart and FIFA directly to file a legal complaint for racist and discriminatory remarks," the French federation said in a statement on Tuesday.

"The president of the French Football Federation, Philippe Diallo, condemns in the strongest terms the unacceptable racist and discriminatory remarks made against the players of the France team as part of a song sung by players and supporters of the Argentina team."

Diallo is a member of the executive committee of European soccer body UEFA with a growing reputation in the game's politics.

Argentina beat Colombia in Sunday's Copa América final in Miami. JUAN MABROMATA/AFP via Getty Images

The derogatory chants single out France players of African heritage from several countries holding a French passport.

Fernández's Chelsea teammate Wesley Fofana, a France international, shared the video on social media Tuesday with the comment, "Football in 2024: Uninhibited racism."

In an apology on Instagram, Fernández said he was "caught up in the euphoria" of the celebrations.

"I want to apologise sincerely for a video posted on my Instagram channel during the national team celebrations," he posted. "The song includes highly offensive language and there is no excuse for these words.

"I stand against discrimination in all forms and apologise for getting caught up in the euphoria of our Copa America celebrations. That video, that moment, those words, do not reflect my beliefs or my character. I am truly sorry."

FIFA could not immediately confirm Tuesday if the French complaint had been filed.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has said soccer and its 211 national federations must have a zero tolerance approach to racism and in May committed to relaunching a task force to monitor incidents.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/40575987/france-federation-legal-complaint-racist-argentina-chants-copa

Chelsea probe Fernandez video of alleged 'racist' chant

Chelsea and Argentina midfielder Enzo FernandezIMAGE SOURCE, GETTY IMAGES Image caption, 

Enzo Fernandez joined Chelsea from Benfica for £107m in 2023

BBC Sport football news reporter
Mandeep Sanghera
BBC Sport journalist

• Published
    16 July 2024

Chelsea are investigating a video posted on social media by midfielder Enzo Fernandez which the French Football Federation says includes an alleged "racist and discriminatory" chant.

On Tuesday the FFF said it would file a complaint to world governing body Fifa over the video featuring a song sung by some of the Argentina squad about France's players.

Fernandez's Chelsea team-mate Wesley Fofana, who has one cap for France, posted an image of the video on Instagram describing it as "uninhibited racism".

BBC Sport understands Chelsea are investigating the incident and treating it seriously.

The FFF will also contact the Argentine Football Association (AFA) about live video posted on social media by Fernandez as Argentina celebrated winning the Copa America, after beating Colombia 1-0 in the final on Sunday.

A statement from the FFF, external said that president Philippe Diallo "condemns in the strongest terms the unacceptable and discriminatory remarks that were made against the players of the French team".

It added: "Faced with the seriousness of these shocking remarks, contrary to the values of sport and human rights, the president of the FFF decided to directly appeal to his Argentine counterpart and Fifa and to file a legal complaint for racially offensive and discriminatory remarks."

The Argentine FA has been approached for comment.

France beat Argentina in the last 16 of the 2018 World Cup, before Argentina beat them in the final of the 2022 World Cup.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c80x1947rxzo

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, WBT said:

Why were they talking about France?

I think that it is a holdover song composed by fans around the last World Cup.

France knocked out Argentina in 2018 when a younger ARG winger cut in front of the ARG striker on the last cross of the game and knocked it out of bounds because he was to the outside of the near post. 

The striker wasn’t guaranteed to score, but if he had, the game would have gone to OT, but instead ended 4-3. (Argentina led early and was the only team to score 3 against France.)

Then “all white” Argentina (I would like to see Otamendi’s 23 & Me) returned the favor in Qatar by beating France in the final. 

This song about France’s 1st & 2nd Gen Frenchies of African descent & “Muchachos” are recycled from 2022, because it was a successful Cup AND it was only 18 months from Cup to Copa.

I think that the theme is that France built a team of athletically gifted recent African immigrants, because their own players are inferior and yet they still couldn’t beat Argentina. 

Not the “wokest” soccer song on the social medias. 

Also, the old world has not traditionally followed Birthright Citizenship. Just because you are born in that country doesn’t mean that you are a citizen. You are a citizen of the country/-ies of your parents, unless…

…you are a really good athlete.

“Listen, spread the word”: Lyrics of the controversial song

These are the lyrics of the song sung by the Argentine players, the chorus that was heard at the Qatar 2022 World Cup, where Argentina and France, precisely, played the final:

Listen, spread the word
They play in France but they’re all from Angola
How lovely, they will run
They are trans lovers like that f*** Mbappe
Your mom is Nigerian, your dad is Cameroonian
But on your ID, it says French nationality

**Lyrics in Spanish:**

Escuchen, corran la bola
juegan en Francia pero son todos de Angola

Que lindo es, van a correr
Son come travas como el p*** de Mbappe
Tu vieja es nigeriana, tu viejo camerunés
Pero en el documento, nacionalidad francés

What is the origin of the song of the Argentina National Team against France?

During the World Cup in Qatar, a group of Argentine fans gathered in Doha to welcome the national team, took advantage of a live mobile with a media outlet to present a new chant.

Read all about it here:

https://bolavip.com/en/amp/soccer/the-lyrics-of-the-controversial-song-argentina-players-sang-against-france-mbappe

• Hook 'Em 1

a group of Argentine fans gathered in Doha to welcome the national team, took advantage of a live mobile with a media outlet topresent a new chant.

I had forgotten this.

Some Argentine soccer journalists were in Doja and were interviewing Argentine fans about their travel to see the World Cup, their expectations, yada-yada-yada.

Then some fans come up and sing this song LIVE on the news. 

The reporters were laughing and saying “You can’t say that.”

Then it was shown on the news some more in the next 12 to 48 hours along with a bit of a wink when they stifled their laughter as they said “Noooo, nooo, you can’t say that. Noooo.”  (And then they would show it a couple of hours later.)

The video also spread on Twitter and maybe IG, YT, & FB, usually with a “this is so wrong” along with a chuckle. 

It was passed along by people who would never sing that themselves, but with a bit of a chuckle over how gleefully carefree the racist comments flowed off the Argies’ tongues in what they felt was just having some good clean fun. 

I don’t think that they would be as hostile as the Spanish, Italian, & Eastern European fans, but I feel that there is a thread of racism involved in their rivalry with Brazil as well.

Here’s the crack journalist saying “Naaaa, naaaaa.” as he puts the microphone back in front of the guys singing to make sure that they get all of it.

I have a feeling that they had heard the song in full before allowing these guys to sing it for the Argentine cameras back in 2022. 

55 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

It's just the Argentinians being proud of their German heritage.  

Nein!

You have Italians, Spanish, and even Scotch/Irish (Mac Allister), but they haven’t had a German starter since Gabriel Heinze finished his run in 2010 and even he looks like he probably has some Italian in him. 
IMG_7479.thumb.jpeg.56125a151be022b0b8e59fcd73c24ae0.jpeg

Race & Soccer is a whole subject for another thread, but a European based sport that has spread around the world due in large part to British companies importing it to the countries where they were building a nation’s infrastructure starting the late 19th century combined with it being the least expensive sport to participate in that required some kind of “equipment” (a ball ️) has helped it spread. 

But again, a topic for a thread of its own that may stretch into CR territory and I’m not going over to that cesspool.

14 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I think that it is a holdover song composed by fans around the last World Cup.

France knocked out Argentina in 2018 when a younger ARG winger cut in front of the ARG striker on the last cross of the game and knocked it out of bounds because he was to the outside of the near post. 

The striker wasn’t guaranteed to score, but if he had, the game would have gone to OT, but instead ended 4-3. (Argentina led early and was the only team to score 3 against France.)

Then “all white” Argentina (I would like to see Otamendi’s 23 & Me) returned the favor in Qatar by beating France in the final. 

This song about France’s 1st & 2nd Gen Frenchies of African descent & “Muchachos” are recycled from 2022, because it was a successful Cup AND it was only 18 months from Cup to Copa.

I think that the theme is that France built a team of athletically gifted recent African immigrants, because their own players are inferior and yet they still couldn’t beat Argentina. 

Not the “wokest” soccer song on the social medias. 

Also, the old world has not traditionally followed Birthright Citizenship. Just because you are born in that country doesn’t mean that you are a citizen. You are a citizen of the country/-ies of your parents, unless…

…you are a really good athlete.

“Listen, spread the word”: Lyrics of the controversial song

These are the lyrics of the song sung by the Argentine players, the chorus that was heard at the Qatar 2022 World Cup, where Argentina and France, precisely, played the final:

Listen, spread the word
They play in France but they’re all from Angola
How lovely, they will run
They are trans lovers like that f*** Mbappe
Your mom is Nigerian, your dad is Cameroonian
But on your ID, it says French nationality

**Lyrics in Spanish:**

Escuchen, corran la bola
juegan en Francia pero son todos de Angola

Que lindo es, van a correr
Son come travas como el p*** de Mbappe
Tu vieja es nigeriana, tu viejo camerunés
Pero en el documento, nacionalidad francés

What is the origin of the song of the Argentina National Team against France?

During the World Cup in Qatar, a group of Argentine fans gathered in Doha to welcome the national team, took advantage of a live mobile with a media outlet to present a new chant.

Read all about it here:

https://bolavip.com/en/amp/soccer/the-lyrics-of-the-controversial-song-argentina-players-sang-against-france-mbappe

mbappe was born in the 19th arrondissement of paris and raised in bondy...the stupid fucks.

messi's mom's name was cuccitinni for fuck's sake. argentina is fielding a wannabe italian team?

god damn everything about the existence of south american soccer is pure trash up and down.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, sidis said:

mbappe was born in the 19th arrondissement of paris and raised in bondy...the stupid fucks.

messi's mom's name was cuccitinni for fuck's sake. argentina is fielding a wannabe italian team?

god damn everything about the existence of south american soccer is pure trash up and down.

Except for the number of World Cup trophies.. 

🏆🏆 🏆🏆🏆

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆

And only a couple of the trophies are tainted. 
(Maybe 3 or 4.)

10 out of 22

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, sidis said:

And Angola was a Portuguese colony, not French....

• Hook 'Em 2