Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

10 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yep. This is why he has stated several times that he doesn’t like close racing. He cannot do it.

He had several shitty moves before the contact, too.

Yep. Stewards were way too slow to react after he had previously made at least 3 late moves under braking. I don't want stewards to decide a race but as was stated above... Max is great is the fastest car. He can't handle pressure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, pops said:

Yep. Stewards were way too slow to react after he had previously made at least 3 late moves under braking. I don't want stewards to decide a race but as was stated above... Max is great is the fastest car. He can't handle pressure. 

Like an NBA game where the ref lets it escalate without blowing a whistle. It’s going to pop off. 

Lando had some questionable attacking moves and Max some questionable defense. The 5 second penalty for Norris for track limits was obvious and should have been given immediately. 

Maybe Max doesn’t wreck him if he knows he has a 5 second handicap? 

All that aside, most entertaining race of the year. Fun podium. Fantastic drive from Hulk. Piastri had some great moves today as well. 

Moar

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:
No. 
That’s the Max of 8-9 years ago. 

8-9 years? That's 2021 Max.

It’s just Max, right? My thinking at the time of that post was that this is the guy that a lot of us saw back then and thought “this kid is an asshole.” His tendencies should have been reined in at the time but they were allowed to flourish because there is no introspection at Red Bull, and the FIA are cowards. Eventually might made right, and, due to Red Bull’s dominance, everyone forgot about Mad Max. 

Edited by ConferenceRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Wow, Stella spitting fire here.

That was well said. He was very measured and calm, and precise. I think there was a lot going on between Norris and Max that was not in the spirit of racing. Both were assholes today but, that final incident was on Max. That was wrong. And as others have said, that's Max from 8 years ago. It's not a good look for either of them, or the sport.

It is kind of funny that Russell was there to pick up the pieces. I have made no secret of my disdain for English drivers in a German car. I don't like it but, I don't hate Russell. And a good job by him being in position to do what he did. I would have liked a few more laps to see if Piastri could have gotten closer. I also chuckled that Sainz finished in front of Hamilton.

I think it was very good that eight teams were in the top-10 in this one. Aston better get its shit together, cuz, they suck.

8 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That was well said. He was very measured and calm, and precise. I think there was a lot going on between Norris and Max that was not in the spirit of racing. Both were assholes today but, that final incident was on Max. That was wrong. And as others have said, that's Max from 8 years ago. It's not a good look for either of them, or the sport.

It is kind of funny that Russell was there to pick up the pieces. I have made no secret of my disdain for English drivers in a German car. I don't like it but, I don't hate Russell. And a good job by him being in position to do what he did. I would have liked a few more laps to see if Piastri could have gotten closer. I also chuckled that Sainz finished in front of Hamilton.

I think it was very good that eight teams were in the top-10 in this one. Aston better get its shit together, cuz, they suck.

Not sure why you’re equivocating Lando with Max here. Lando had the one move up the inside where he locked up and Max had to avoid. That’s racing. Outside of track limits, Lando was pretty clean. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Not sure why you’re equivocating Lando with Max here. Lando had the one move up the inside where he locked up and Max had to avoid. That’s racing. Outside of track limits, Lando was pretty clean. 

I just thought a couple of his dives were a bit ambitious. I generally like Norris and i still think both of them were a bit jagoff-ish today.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m not a Red Bull or really a max fan.  (Ferrari / leclerc)

But I can’t help but like his “ im either winning this or we both are wrecked” attitude.  
He was on 3 wheels and still drove back across the lane to make sure lando didn’t pass.    

He’s an absolute menace, and I wish leclerc had about 30% more max in him. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

No. 

That’s the Max of 8-9 years ago. 

Just watched the race. 100% that was Max being Max.  Without the fastest car, he is  Hulkenberg... He would rather crash than get passed. If he let Norris by, he would have DRSd him at the end and won...

He hates being passed, and it has been an issue since he became top driver at RB.

• Like 1

Max will never not be that guy.

He always screamed for more power because he needs the fastest car. He is super aggressive. He's a late breaker and will never give up a space believing he can drive it back.

As a kart father, it didnt take me long to realize who was dangerous, who could actually drive, and who was cheating.

I would tell my son, Max is dangerous so pass him when he makes a mistake, because he will if you can pressure him. Absolutely pressure him and he will overdrive the car to avoid getting passed.. then pass as cleanly as you can.

The problem with Max is even a clean pass is a risk to your car. He will wreck you if he can't hold you.

We have plenty of bent and broken parts from Max. It is who who is. It's hereditary, taught,  and reinforced.

Anybody wanna buy some 'starter' kart stuff? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

I have gone to appreciate Max and what he can do. I couldn’t stand him when him and Hamilton were scrapping for what would be MV’s first title. I had flashbacks to that year today. I had thought he had matured with his successes. Maybe this particular day just didn’t sit well with him. Him and Lando were going after it pretty good during the race before lap 64. I chuckled and pointed at the TV on lap 64 and told my wife , “there’s that old Max!” It’s fun to know that he still lurks in the corners. This was a fun day for racing.

Yeah I thought Max had matured and improved but it turns out he’s only tolerable when he’s in the fastest car running way out front.  He’s terrible when challenged. 

As discussed many times on this thread the penalty just isn’t harsh enough when you wreck a guy out and cause a DNF.  You should get the same result and zero points. Max and Horner, such little birches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This has been going around a ton on social media. Theres another example with Vettel as well. I haven’t been following the sport that long  and I understand Max was in the wrong today, but this can’t be that easy for lando to avoid right?  

I mean, sure he could. This move itself wasn’t that bad in a vacuum. The previous one was worse. But there’s a build up to it. It was eventually going to happen when the stewards decided to simply not do anything up to this point.

Remember that this move at the very same corner is what pretty much kicked off the whole “let them race” thing from Red Bull starting in 2019 which came to a head in 2021 and has basically allowed these kinds of moves since.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I mean, sure he could. This move itself wasn’t that bad in a vacuum. The previous one was worse. But there’s a build up to it. It was eventually going to happen when the stewards decided to simply not do anything up to this point.

Remember that this move at the very same corner is what pretty much kicked off the whole “let them race” thing from Red Bull starting in 2019 which came to a head in 2021 and has basically allowed these kinds of moves since.

Thanks for the added context. I don’t remember much of the 2019 season. 

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Max believes he does not have to follow a racing line. He is Karen in her Suburban. Fuck yer lane.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I love that these 2 are literally 12" away from one another when saying all this.  There's another camera angle from behind and it's like those bad sitcoms where the husband and wife won't talk to each other so they are communicating through the kids while sitting at the same table.

• Like 2