Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

33 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Mercedes either intentionally cheated or someone fucked up pretty bad. 

Toto looked like he was waiting to get caught instead of celebrating a 1/2.

They knew the car was under.

20 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Assuming they didn’t intentionally cheat, where did that weight go?

Anyone know if the weight includes the tires?  Any chance this was a consequence of them running the tires so long - like each tire lost .75lbs of rubber by the end of the race?

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone know if the weight includes the tires?  Any chance this was a consequence of them running the tires so long - like each tire lost .75lbs of rubber by the end of the race?

It does include tires. They could be part of it, but why run it so close?

They also normally do an in lap after the race and pick up a bunch of marbles, but they don’t do that at Spa due to the lap length. But of course, it’s the same for everyone and they should have known that.

It’s also possible that the Russell side of the garage didn’t account for part weight differences when taking all their upgrades off after FP2.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

12 minutes ago, morehornsepower said:

1.5 kg is a lot. And another team did the 1 stop strategy and didnt have the same issue. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It does include tires. They could be part of it, but why run it so close?

They also normally do an in lap after the race and pick up a bunch of marbles, but they don’t do that at Spa due to the lap length. But of course, it’s the same for everyone and they should have known that.

It’s also possible that the Russell side of the garage didn’t account for part weight differences when taking all their upgrades off after FP2. emoji2369.png

I’m guessing it’s the last part you mentioned. The upgrades usually weigh more at first so they can make them cheaper and quicker and confirm they work. The probably didn’t account for the extra ballast needed. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

As far as the race, Spa never fails to deliver.  Absolutely my favorite track on the circuit.

Yup. Spa 100% needs to be on the calendar every season. 

2 hours ago, Slacks said:

Toto looked like he was waiting to get caught instead of celebrating a 1/2.

They knew the car was under.

I have no prior knowledge about any of it but, I thought it was a bit strange how subdued Toto was as Russell was winning that race. It just seemed off to me.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

They would have ordered George to move if they thought PIA was going to have a chance to pass them.

Lewis didn't seem any quicker than George once he caught him. Couldn't get close enough to make a real attempt at an overtake.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, morehornsepower said:

I think I read that that's what Merc are claiming, but that didn't happen with the Astons. Seems like a massive stretch to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NoName said:

Happy Formula 1 GIF by Aston Martin F1 Team

How the fuck was Stroll 14 kph faster on the straights than Alonso? IIRC he asked basically the same thing on Friday. Did they put a brick under Fernando's gas pedal?  Makes it that much more remarkable that Fernando was able to put that car in P9.

Edited by wood
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Lewis was definitely faster, but overtaking was way harder than anyone anticipated with the new surface.

Piastri and Max didn’t make any headway (against Russell), either.

Russell pulled away from Max at the end when he was on hards and Max was on mediums after they passed Checo.  I think Mercedes were the fastest cars.

If Merc really did try to hide the low weight by presenting the car improperly to Scrutineering, that should be looked into as well.

I thought it was interesting that a scruteneer was standing over Toto’s shoulder all weekend. I’ve never seen that before. It’s like they knew are were just watching them the whole time. Sucks for Russell
  • Hook 'Em 1

As the resident Leclerc stan, it’s my duty to point out he’s been driving only the 4th fastest car and he’s finished 4th and 3rd with a pole the last two weeks. He had a rough stretch for a few weeks, but he’s gotten basically everything possible out of the car the last two weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Can I just say, I am happy we are having some racing at the top. After the break should be pretty awesome, and I am hoping Danny is in that second Red Bull seat.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, faps said:

Can I just say, I am happy we are having some racing at the top. After the break should be pretty awesome, and I am hoping Danny is in that second Red Bull seat.

Same. This is a 2010/2012 type of season, except that Max has a bit too big of a lead in WDC, but there are legitimately 3-4 teams that could win a given race and no one knows who will be fastest at each track. I’m rooting for Max to have a DNF just to get the WDC closer. That would make this just about the perfect season, which is crazy considering how last year went.  

Danny Ric getting in the RB and at least being competitive would be a fun addition. It would be really cool to see him win one more race. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

As the resident Leclerc stan, it’s my duty to point out he’s been driving only the 4th fastest car and he’s finished 4th and 3rd with a pole the last two weeks. He had a rough stretch for a few weeks, but he’s gotten basically everything possible out of the car the last two weeks. 

Amen brutha, I'm your Ferrari huckleberry.  Not to jinx the team, but in general the in-race strategy over the last few races seems to have slightly improved from "absolutely tragic" to "not going to cost your 10 places."  Could be that Vasseur is having a positive influence on the team?

Again, not gonna speak too soon, there's plenty of time for Ferrari to Ferrari things up.

• Like 1

Wow... I'd have thought he was holding out for the RB seat. Although if Jezza's exclusive of Adrian Newey house-hunting in Oxfordshire not Maranello wind up being true, then perhaps Carlos chose wisely after all. 

20 hours ago, Dutch said:

Yup. Spa 100% needs to be on the calendar every season. 

Hell - put it on the calendar *TWICE* every season ... make 'em run it in the opposite direction on the second go-round!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I'll be that guy.    Spa looks great, fun on video games.   Doesn't really produce great races.   This year with the DRS shortening, it was even worse.     As soon as you got into dirty air, you couldnt do anything.     Ham couldnt pass George, no one could get past lecerc in the 4th best car.   But, the races?  Generally are just okay.       /ducks

I would think that Checo's finish this weekend after being on the front row to start would be a huge nail in the coffin.  I know he landed in the top 10 but that cannot sit well with RB.  That was his best chance to show he could stick with them.

As much as I like Hamilton, that is the polar opposite of how I feel about Russell.  Hehehe.  Agree on Toto's demeanor when watching in real time.  Looked like he new something was up.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I did think it was weird when they cut to Toto right after the finish and he didn't look even a little bit happy.  Who can tell with ze Austrians though?  The theory Anton had about George's team screwing up the weight after they scrapped their upgrades is pretty plausible.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

I did think it was weird when they cut to Toto right after the finish and he didn't look even a little bit happy.  Who can tell with ze Austrians though?  The theory Anton had about George's team screwing up the weight after they scrapped their upgrades is pretty plausible.

Every time lulu won, it looked like he had his buttplug turned up to 11.
  • Haha 1

Red Bull being cut throat with Gasly and Albon but not with Checo. I guess they feel the WCC up in the air with any driver option so keep the revenue Checo gives you and put it towards development. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, faps said:

Man Radillon/Eau Rouge in reverse would be wild.

My first thought was how many airborne cars would we see flying off of Eau Rouge.  There isn't enough downforce in the world to keep those rolling airplanes stuck to the ground coming off the Kemmel Straight and then the ground just falling away.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, utee94 said:

Wow that sucks so bad for George.  He had a hell of a drive.

As far as the race, Spa never fails to deliver.  Absolutely my favorite track on the circuit.

If he wasn't such a pmpous, whiny assed bitch I'd agree with you.  But he is, so no.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

Amen brutha, I'm your Ferrari huckleberry.  Not to jinx the team, but in general the in-race strategy over the last few races seems to have slightly improved from "absolutely tragic" to "not going to cost your 10 places."  Could be that Vasseur is having a positive influence on the team?

Again, not gonna speak too soon, there's plenty of time for Ferrari to Ferrari things up.

Our car might get slower with every update, but at least we can make middle of the road strategy decision most races!

/New Ferrari Motto

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Man, Checo's sponsor and merch dollars must outweigh winning the WCC. McLaren is only 42 points back.

I’m honestly wondering if they’re trying to lose the WCC to get more wind tunnel time over the offseason. That or Horner just being on a massive power trip are the only two reasons I can think for keeping Checo. He’s been so, so bad. 

• Hook 'Em 2