Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

How the hell does anyone find their own bike in that mess? 
That's worse than those ski racks outside really big lodges at the larger mountains in Colorado 

That’s tame. The bike garage outside of the main train station in Amsterdam is insane.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Maybe it just looked bad on TV, but those fireworks that went off as Lando crossed the finish line looked like they made one hell of a dangerous condition for the rest of the field with the amount of smoke that suddenly blanketed the track. 

That was right in front of us and I instantly thought the same. But, the wind really took it out of play quickly.  Although I’d probably not do that. 

So much of what happened was right in front of us so, I enjoyed the race.  One thing I consciously did was not take out my phone for much of the race. 

That made me concentrate on what was happening, track positions, tires, gaps, etc, as I have not done since I was covering dirt track racing. That made the race more enjoyable for me as I relied on myself and not the TV. I just wish I had taken my notepad with me to keep track. 🤣

We all remarked how much we enjoy that track and the changes in track elevation and how it has some banking and such. 

A lot of walking goes into a trip to Zandvoort.  But totally enjoyable. The beach scenery is beautiful.

IMG_0369.jpeg

Time for bed, driving back to Germany tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

So much of what happened was right in front of us so, I enjoyed the race.  One thing I consciously did was not take out my phone for much of the race. 

That made me concentrate on what was happening, track positions, tires, gaps, etc, as I have not done since I was covering dirt track racing.

This has nothing to do with F1 or the race, but ... speaking of the dirt track, I went to Cotton Bowl in Paige last night, as I do from time to time. The racing (mods) was great, as usual, but at intermission I witnessed one of the most bizarre and most 'redneck' things I've ever seen --- even for a dirt track crowd, and I've been going to dirt tracks for 55 years, in Tennessee, Arkansas, and Texas. It was a gender reveal, on the track. Why? Because 'Why not', I guess. The Mom knew the gender of the baby, but the Dad and the 2 boys didn't. Mom & Dad looked much older than they seem to actually be, and looked like they just came to the track from working the fields. They looked like sharecroppers, or like the couple in American Gothic (except add about one-fiddy to each of their weight totals).

So they go out to the start/finish line, flanked by the two little boys. The kiddos were flanked by the grid girls, or whatever ever they call the local teenage wannabe beauty queens that congratulate the winners, wearing checkered flag outfits. I wish I had taken video, but got damn, there was no way to foresee the sheer awesomeness of the bizarre shit that was about to go down. The plan was that a race car was going to race past them on the straight, releasing either blue or pink smoke indicating the gender of kiddo #3.

Cue the PA guy spouting stuff like "What if the smoke is purple? Does that mean the baby is non-binary? And what is 'non-binary' anyway. That's crazy". Not making any of this up. No cr. Then he said he'd better shut up before he got in trouble. So then the car comes out. No, it's not a cool, badass modified. It's one of the shittiest cars from the shittiest class - the 'Sport Compacts' - painted in a terribly done stars & stripes livery to, I kid you not, 'honor Donald Trump'. No cr. OBTW, the race was sponsored by GOA - Gun Owners of America. No cr.

So the car flies past spewing blue smoke, and there's basically no reaction at all from the family that's supposed to be celebrating this reveal. Mom kinda looks like "Yep. FML. Another boy". Dad looks like he dgaf about any of it & isn't thinking much past his next meal. And then it was over, and even in that crowd of mostly Deliverance-type rednecks, most people were just standing there with blank stares, trying to make sense of what they had just seen.  /csb

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I think Red Bull is gonna figure some things out over the next few races to close the gap with McClaren and probably get Verstappen a couple of wins against them. That being said, if Verstappen picks up a DNF along the way then the WDC race is going to get good. I think the constructor's championship is over. McClaren will take that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Haas cars and gear are impounded at the Dutch GP. Waiting for a court order so they can head out. Some problem with payment to the Russians

Andretti should issue at press release that they are preparing to provide a couple of cars for the next race if Haas can’t get their gear out of the impound lot. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Haas cars and gear are impounded at the Dutch GP. Waiting for a court order so they can head out. Some problem with payment to the Russians

They paid over the weekend.  Cars/gear were impounded last night waiting for the stamp from some official.  Should be done and over with by now.

8 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Would anyone miss them? 

33 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Tinfoil hat…

Redbull kept Checo because they decided it was ok if they lost the constructors title and received a larger wind tunnel allocation.  Focus on the drivers championship and get ready for 25

I do not think that is a tinfoil hat theory at all.  Max calls the shots there and I am sure that was his thought process with the situation, and frankly, it is a good one. Win-win for Max and maximizes his chances at a 5th straight WDC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The WDC pays nada. The WCC pays big bucks - $140M last year. WCC is king in F1. WDC is a nice bonus, esp for the driver, but does little for the team in practical terms. If that weren't the case, then I could maybe see something like that being somewhat plausible. Also, it's been widely reported that FOM stepped in and influenced the Perez decision because Mexico.

Bold strategy, Cotton. Never seen anyone sacrifice the WCC to get the WDC before.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I do not think that is a tinfoil hat theory at all.  Max calls the shots there and I am sure that was his thought process with the situation, and frankly, it is a good one. Win-win for Max and maximizes his chances at a 5th straight WDC. 

Max isn't calling a shot like that. He doesn't pay the bills. No driver is calling the shots at that level in any team, except maybe Stroll, and probably not him, either.

Edited by wood

4 minutes ago, wood said:

The WDC pays nada. The WCC pays big bucks. WCC is king in F1. WDC is a nice bonus, esp for the driver, but does little for the team in practical terms. If that weren't the case, then I could maybe see something like that being somewhat plausible. Also, it's been widely reported that FOM stepped in and influenced the Perez decision because Mexico.

Bold strategy, Cotton. Never seen anyone sacrifice the WCC to get the WCC before.

giphy.webp

• Like 1

Poor Logan never had "it" in F1. Doesn't help having Albon as a teammate either. Guess this also means Mick's F1 career really is done too. Which, why replace a guy that crashes with another guy that crashes.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, faps said:

Poor Logan never had "it" in F1. Doesn't help having Albon as a teammate either. Guess this also means Mick's F1 career really is done too. Which, why replace a guy that crashes with another guy that crashes.

Yep. Karting World Champ, but honestly, Logan's confidence was shattered a long time ago. Williams held onto him much too long and put him through a lot of unnecessary pain imho. I feel bad for the kid in a way that I don't usually do in these situations.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

First time for everything. Just goes to show that even driving the SC is no walk in the park imho.

In other news ...

Piastri surprised by Sargeant’s F1 struggles: ‘His potential was much greater’

https://racer.com/2024/08/29/piastri-surprised-by-sargeants-f1-struggles-his-potential-was-much-greater/

“I sent him a text yesterday, and he seems OK,” Piastri said. “It was a little bit of a shock, obviously it wasn’t an easy time for him in F1. I think it was much more difficult for him than maybe I expected it to be, going into F1. For me, his potential was much greater than what was on show in F1, for whatever reason it might be.

“But I know first-hand, being his teammate in the junior categories, racing him in basically everything, I know how quick he is. I don’t think the change was completely unexpected. Quite a bold move to put Franco in, I would say, but best of luck to him.

“Just a shame that I think he probably had… For whatever reason he wasn’t able to show everything he’s got, because in the junior categories he was genuinely one of the quickest guys I went up against. So I think his potential is much greater than what some people see.”

Alex Albon, Sargeant’s former teammate in F1, was similarly full of praise for the Floridian, saying he still feels the 23-year-old has the ability to perform at a high level wherever he races next.

“I’m kind of focused on my own lane, so obviously more than anything, I know Logan personally,” Albon said. “He’s a super guy and things didn’t work out, but I’m sure whatever he gets on and moves on to do, he’s going to be very good. I know the pace he has.

“Clearly it was quite a late decision, so I didn’t hear so long before the announcement. Obviously, yes, I did speak with Logan, but I’ll keep that behind closed doors. A great guy, and we got on very well. I think he’s got a bright future ahead of him. And yeah, I feel for him, for sure.”A great guy, and we got on very well. I think he’s got a bright future ahead of him. And yeah, I feel for him, for sure.”

• Like 1

Mercedes let Antonelli drive George's car in FP1.  He put it in to the wall 10 minutes in.  Damage doesn't look terrible, he spun around in the gravel and it ate a lot of momentum.

Edited by kevwun

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

Mercedes let Antonelli drive George's car in FP1.  He put it in to the wall 10 minutes in.  Damage doesn't look terrible, he spun around in the gravel and it ate a lot of momentum.

George’s reaction 

Looking at the test time that the young drivers in some teams get these days in older cars, and how much it helps them prepare for what's ahead, I wonder how much of that seat time Logan did or did not get with Williams before moving into that seat. If he was missing that seat time, I wonder what could have been for him if he'd gotten it. Too bad he was stuck in such a cash-strapped team.

8 hours ago, wood said:

Looking at the test time that the young drivers in some teams get these days in older cars, and how much it helps them prepare for what's ahead, I wonder how much of that seat time Logan did or did not get with Williams before moving into that seat. If he was missing that seat time, I wonder what could have been for him if he'd gotten it. Too bad he was stuck in such a cash-strapped team.

Yep, quoting myself ...

I've been told in response to this question that Vowles even admitted it at the start of the year that Logan got practically no seat time. He did a couple of FP1s for Williams in 2022, the Young Driver Test that year, and then his day and a half of pre-season testing and that was it.

1 minute ago, Levi said:

Alonso saying P11 is better than expected. Getting that tractor close to Q3 session is pretty dang good. AM and VCARB in season development is trash. 

After their unfortunate chase down the wrong rabbit hole, AM is done developing that car. If you see any new parts on it the rest of the way, they're likely testing them for next year.