Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

re: Danny Ric

Some of the chatter today was about him maybe racing in Austin instead of cutting him loose after Singapore.  It would be pretty excellent if RBR/VCARB announced USGP was his last race and gave him a bit of a sendoff at his favorite race.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

Whoa - what if Danny's last act as a Red Bull driver is to give Max the WDC?  Hell, that alone should give him at least one more drive and a proper send off in Austin.

Also a little parting shot at McLaren on the way out the door, maybe ...

• Like 1

0% chance Danny Ric wanted fastest lap just to mess up Lando's WDC chances. Dude wanted to go out on a high note and props to Vcarb for helping him out. There's no princess drama here, just trying to give a great guy a proper send off. No need to read more into it than that. 

Edit: also props to Max for immediately saying "thank you Danny" - hate that dude, but that was solid. 

Edited by dieucla98
  • Hook 'Em 1

Verstappen pouting and soft-threatening to leave the sport

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/articles/c0m0wwk7ejno

On one hand, he's right that censoring curse words and being a rule-stickler such as on Sainz (I dont mean race conducts) is really schoolmarm behavior.

On the other hand, lol, fuck him. Each race sells hundreds of thousands of tickets and F1 grows its revenue sequentially before and and after him. He might have leverage on Red Bull but not on Liberty Media.

There are only a few F1 superstars. And Max is tier 1. He sells fuckload of merch. The cheapest hats this weekend were $120. Shirts started at $220.

Tier 1: Max, Hamilton
Tier 2: Norris, Alonzo, Leclerc
Tier 3: Carlos, Checo, Russell

Those are the guys selling merch and box seats.

Checo actually sells more merch than Max does.
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

19 hours ago, jkates said:

Pretty boring race today.

19 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Track blows. Doesn’t even look two cars wide in some places. 

I think this has got to be my least favorite circuit on the tour.  I fast forwarded through most of the race and I NEVER do that.  Just a beating.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

47 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I think this has got to be my least favorite circuit on the tour.  I fast forwarded through most of the race and I NEVER do that.  Just a beating.

Add in out of control dirty air management and the following cars are back to having little chance. 

New regulations always address this but developers eventually defeat their intentions 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Yep.  I watched long enough to see MB fuck Lewis on strategy for some insane reason and then FF'd until the end of the race.  Boring as hell.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

21 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

There are only a few F1 superstars. And Max is tier 1. He sells fuckload of merch. The cheapest hats this weekend were $120. Shirts started at $220.

Tier 1: Max, Hamilton
Tier 2: Norris, Alonzo, Leclerc
Tier 3: Carlos, Checo, Russell

Those are the guys selling merch and box seats.

Most of merch revenue goes to the team. Liberty Media owns the licensing around "F1" and race names and other properties and gets some licensing money from deals with merchants, but RBR can still sell "ORACLE Red Bull Racing Honda Tag Heuer" t-shirts all day long.

Also, the merch king should always be Ferrari, no matter who drives for them and who drives for RBR.

22 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Add in out of control dirty air management and the following cars are back to having little chance. 

New regulations always address this but developers eventually defeat their intentions 

Except this time the OWG spent years and lots of resources to determine a way to improve following. And it worked wonders for a little while ... until the teams who couldn't get it right complained loudly enough on the grounds of 'safety concerns' (lol), and it all went out the window.  It wasn't so much clawed back through development. The work of the OWG was simply neutered.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

We've seen how many races now without a safety car?  Their are very few accidents (in the races) this year.  Driver's are being way more cautious under race conditions as there is no real need to push because you really can't pass anyone.  There are way more crashes in qualifying because they are trying to push the edge (because you can't pass in the race and quali means everything).

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Levi said:

This sucks. Red Bull needs to get this over with and make it official. A 13 year veteran with a successful career can’t even get a proper send off. 

Just want to point out that I think Danny performs at least as well as Checo has in the actual RBR seat if he was in it from race 1.

Here's hoping he gets the send off at COTA. 

And also, fuck Checo. 

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 4