Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Just want to point out that I think Danny performs at least as well as Checo has in the actual RBR seat if he was in it from race 1.

Here's hoping he gets the send off at COTA. 

And also, fuck Checo. 

I think so. If Red Bull had went through with their original plan, the constructors might be attainable with Danny. I’m not really mad at Checo tho because by this point he’s one of a handful of drivers that shouldn’t be in F1 right now. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Levi said:

I think so. If Red Bull had went through with their original plan, the constructors might be attainable with Danny. I’m not really mad at Checo tho because by this point he’s one of a handful of drivers that shouldn’t be in F1 right now. 

His results in that car over the last 1.5 seasons would get him ejected out of his seat for any other team. 

Max is out qualifying him 17-1. Same as Terry Boatass vs Zhou.

I hope they fucking fire him the Monday after the Mexican GP after he bins the car on lap 3. I'd rather see Danny, Liam or Yuki in that seat starting today.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

Total BS. They handled this about as bad as you could for a guy who's been nothing but professional and is universally loved. Yes his best years may have been behind him, but he deserved a better send off for sure.

As stated by everyone, Perez is allowed to be total shit in the main team.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Can someone explain to me what a "good" send-off would be for a driver who only had the seat in the first place because of his relationships with Red Bull? They've already put off getting Lawson in the drive for way too long.

Hate Red Bull all you want...no one else would have even given him a seat the past two years.

Edited by aggie08

Can someone explain to me what a "good" send-off would be for a driver who only had the seat in the first place because of his relationships with Red Bull? They've already put off getting Lawson in the drive for way too long.
Hate Red Bull all you want...no one else would have even given him a seat the past two years.

Announcing it before the weekend would have been polite. Maybe letting him drive Austin. Hell, just making the announcement official after the race would have been better than what he got.
  • Hook 'Em 5

20 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Shit, Danny is a better driver than a lot of guys still on the grid.  I'd take him above:

• Stroll
  • Ocon
  • KMag
  • Hulk
  • Zhou
  • Checo

And he's on par with Yuki, but Yuki is younger and has that Honda money behind him.

• Hook 'Em 4

45 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Announcing it before the weekend would have been polite. Maybe letting him drive Austin. Hell, just making the announcement official after the race would have been better than what he got.

This right here.  Doesn't take much.

48 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Yep. And a gathering of the team in the paddock, a round of applause, hugs & well-wishes, getting together with other drivers, taking photos, etc. It's simple & easy.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

I mean no matter how Danny got the seat, he still had a successful career and had a major impact on the sport as a whole. The same should go for Perez, who should also not be in the seat he’s currently in. It was objectively shitty how VCARB and Red Bull handled this situation. They couldn’t even do the bare minimum. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

How about announcing it before the GP weekend like a normal team? Is being halfway decent too much to ask?

Go be condescending in some other thread.

4 minutes ago, Levi said:

I mean no matter how Danny got the seat, he still had a successful career and had a major impact on the sport as a whole. The same should go for Perez, who should also not be in the seat he’s currently in. It was objectively shitty how VCARB and Red Bull handled this situation. They couldn’t even do the bare minimum. 

All they had to do was announce it Thursday like any normal team would have done.

• Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, NoName said:

How about announcing it before the GP weekend like a normal team? Is being halfway decent too much to ask?

Go be condescending in some other thread.

Then you guys would have complained that they didn't let him finish in Austin.

It was pretty damn clear that they had already told Daniel before Singapore, and the announcers and everyone watching treated his fastest lap as his "send-off". Everyone in the paddock knew too. What would have changed had they "officially" announced it on Thursday? How much Pomp and Circumstance would dropping a midfield driver mid-season actually warrant?

They obviously didn't handle it perfectly, but adding this to the list of things to hate Red Bull--the only team who would employ him--over seems silly to me.

• Fuck You 2

47 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. And a gathering of the team in the paddock, a round of applause, hugs & well-wishes, getting together with other drivers, taking photos, etc. It's simple & easy.

I haven't been watching F1 nearly as long as you, but the only time I recall seeing something like this happen with any driver for any reason is when Grosjean returned to the paddock.

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Then you guys would have complained that they didn't let him finish in Austin.

It was pretty damn clear that they had already told Daniel before Singapore, and the announcers and everyone watching treated his fastest lap as his "send-off". Everyone in the paddock knew too. What would have changed had they "officially" announced it on Thursday? How much Pomp and Circumstance would dropping a midfield driver mid-season actually warrant?

They obviously didn't handle it perfectly, but adding this to the list of things to hate Red Bull--the only team who would employ him--over seems silly to me.

"Only team that would employ him"

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Normal team would have handled this whole situation differently, especially with what he's done for the team overall since coming up as a junior. There's a reason so many people in the media and fan media both have said they should have handled it differently. Honestly you are the single person I've seen act like it's reasonable.

Riccardo isn't Logan Sargent. Stop acting like he is or was.

It's shitty for a real to handle removing a driver from a seat this way, when all it would have taken was being professional. They weren't, and it would have been easy to be.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

"Only team that would employ him"

Am I wrong? If not for Red Bull, he wouldn't have gotten another seat. We would have been having this conversation two years ago about how much it sucks that McLaren ended his career as unceremoniously as they did.

I'm not saying he's Logan Sargent. He's probably still better than a few of the drivers out there. But he's in an uncomfortable spot. Too old to get the nod over younger drivers, even ones with questionable potential. Not accomplished enough to "pick" his last race like Vettel.

43 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I haven't been watching F1 nearly as long as you, but the only time I recall seeing something like this happen with any driver for any reason is when Grosjean returned to the paddock.

It happens fairly commonly with the higher profile drivers when they leave. There were big to-dos when Alonso 'retired', when Schumi, Vettel, Massa & Kimi retired, etc. Danny isn't quite Schumi & Alonso level, but he's very good and is no scrub or pay driver, either. I don't hate Red Bull, but after what he contributed to F1 & the team(s) for what, a decade, he deserved a proper sendoff, even if it was a modest one.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Am I wrong? If not for Red Bull, he wouldn't have gotten another seat. We would have been having this conversation two years ago about how much it sucks that McLaren ended his career as unceremoniously as they did.

I'm not saying he's Logan Sargent. He's probably still better than a few of the drivers out there. But he's in an uncomfortable spot. Too old to get the nod over younger drivers, even ones with questionable potential. Not accomplished enough to "pick" his last race like Vettel.

We literally had Steiner saying he wanted him at Haas two years ago but saying Danny wanted more money than Gene would pay. 

Shitting on him when there is Zhou on the grid is fucking laughable. Kmag is on the grid. Debatable that Yuki is better than him. I don't think Checo is better than him. Come on man, acting like he's washed and didn't deserve a seat at all is hilarious.

I know you hate RBR but be serious.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wood said:

It happens fairly commonly with the higher profile drivers when they leave. There were big to-dos when Alonso 'retired', when Schumi & Vettel retired, etc. Danny isn't quite Schumi & Alonso level, but he's no scrub or pay driver, either. I don't hate Red Bull, but after what he contributed to F1 & the team(s) for what, a decade, he deserved a proper sendoff, even if it was a modest one.

Fair enough. Though, I think you'd agree that "modest" is the most important word there. Send offs, I assume, are almost always at the very the of the year. In Vettel's case, the driver's and constructor's championships were already well decided by Abu Dhabi. A team opting to drop a decently accomplished driver with a handful of races left in a highly competitive season isn't quite the same cause for celebration and reminiscing. 

Watching the Singapore Grand Prix, I'm fairly certain that everyone who matters already knew. Which, I guess only helps make the point that they should have officially told the fans too.

My general meandering point was that it feels disingenuous to chastise Red Bull for not handling the end of his career perfectly when they--and only they--were willing to keep him on the paddock and highly paid for two more years for the slight chance they could recapture something together. But I guess they could have tried harder to do both.

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

My general meandering point was that it feels disingenuous to chastise Red Bull for not handling the end of his career perfectly when they--and only they--were willing to keep him on the paddock and highly paid for two more years for the slight chance they could recapture something together. But I guess they could have tried harder to do both.

No one wants perfect. All people wanted and expected was a basic send off for a guy who has done a lot for the team. It isn't like he drove for RBR then finished Hai career at Kick or whatever they are called next year.

Also you keep shitting on him like he was getting 17-0d like Zhou, but he very clearly wasn't.

IMG_7348.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

I recognize I'm probably the biggest Danny fan around these parts and I completely understand why they would replace him. If you aren't going to dump Checo for him now then you never are and you have the Lawson guaranteed seat thing.

But this has been a shit show.

Meredith runs a Danny fan account fwiw.

someone uploaded the entire Monza race on Twitter lol

1 hour ago, NoName said:

No one wants perfect. All people wanted and expected was a basic send off for a guy who has done a lot for the team. It isn't like he drove for RBR then finished Hai career at Kick or whatever they are called next year.

Also you keep shitting on him like he was getting 17-0d like Zhou, but he very clearly wasn't.

Except I haven't really shit on him other than to acknowledge the obvious that he's too old/expensive (and without the right financial backing or father) at his current pace to find a comfortable seat, and he was incredibly fortunate to have been given nearly two years in what's supposed to be a developmental seat. It doesn't really matter that he's still better than a handful of guys on the grid. If he was truly still fast enough, we wouldn't all be acknowledging that this is almost certainly it.

I get it: he's about the closest thing to a successful modern day American driver that we've got, and he has ties to Austin. But if RBR unceremoniously dumped Checo tomorrow (and, frankly, they should), you'd have absolutely zero problem with it. Both are pretty similar: incredibly popular/likable, huge fan bases, well accomplished (8 wins, 32 podiums for Daniel; 6 wins, 39 podiums for Checo), but past their racing prime. It's a tough profession, and only the best get to decide how they go out. Red Bull likely extended his career as a Formula 1 driver almost 3 full years.

But yes, I'll acknowledge that they should have been more timely and forthcoming with their announcement to the public because it would have been an incredibly easy thing to do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Except I haven't really shit on him other than to acknowledge the obvious that he's too old/expensive (and without the right financial backing or father) at his current pace to find a comfortable seat, and he was incredibly fortunate to have been given nearly two years in what's supposed to be a developmental seat. It doesn't really matter that he's still better than a handful of guys on the grid. If he was truly still fast enough, we wouldn't all be acknowledging that this is almost certainly it.

I get it: he's about the closest thing to a successful modern day American driver that we've got, and he has ties to Austin. But if RBR unceremoniously dumped Checo tomorrow (and, frankly, they should), you'd have absolutely zero problem with it. Both are pretty similar: incredibly popular/likable, huge fan bases, well accomplished (8 wins, 32 podiums for Daniel; 6 wins, 39 podiums for Checo), but past their racing prime. It's a tough profession, and only the best get to decide how they go out. Red Bull likely extended his career as a Formula 1 driver almost 3 full years.

But yes, I'll acknowledge that they should have been more timely and forthcoming with their announcement to the public because it would have been an incredibly easy thing to do. 

think formula 1 GIF by SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team

We agree on Checo and I'll bet 1 dollar buck  they announce it the week of the Mexican GP that he's out of the seat next year.

If he is in one race for them next year Max really should go sign with another team.

Sorry for being a bitch about this, super annoyed across the board.

Also all eyes on VCARB now for their absolutely dreadful in race tactics/strategic decisions. They fucked multiple races for both drivers multiple times this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

Sorry for being a bitch about this, super annoyed across the board.

Not at all. I obviously hold the minority opinion of this not really being a big deal, and I haven't exactly expressed that opinion well or eloquently. 

43 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Not at all. I obviously hold the minority opinion of this not really being a big deal, and I haven't exactly expressed that opinion well or eloquently. 

You could just acknowledge that you're wrong, it is a big deal, RBR screwed up, and then we could all move along. :)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1