Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

33 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Nah it's probably McClaren or Ferrari.

Leaving out the team that pretty much always bends the rules and just had a huge loss in performance right after the FIA "clarified" you can't have an asymmetric braking device is a weird move. 

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Everyone on reddit thinks it's Red Bull.

More specifically, an F1 journalist is reporting that Red Bull is the team being accused of cheating by other teams. 

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Max last won a race over a month before the rule change was made about braking.  The slide started way before that.  More likely is that none of their upgrades have worked since Newey stopped working on the car.

What does any of that have to do with the fact that Red Bull admitted they changed their car for Austin, specifically for this issue?

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Max last won a race over a month before the rule change was made about braking.  The slide started way before it.

This is some impressive head in the sand shit right here.

It wasn't a rule change. The braking device was always illegal. Also, the FIA always goes to the teams first about this before they make any public announcement, just like they did with the Ferrari engines in 2019. Ferrari's pace dropped off way before a public announcement was made. 

Same thing happened with Red Bull. Max finished first or second in every race up to the British Grand Prix on 7/7.  Since that race, his pace has dropped off a cliff and has usually been finishing around 5th place over 20 seconds behind the leader. There's a very clear correlation between Max's huge decrease in pace and when the FIA started investigating this issue.

Now Red Bull has admitted to the ride height device and said they changed their car after discussing with the FIA. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is some impressive head in the sand shit right here.

It wasn't a rule change. The braking device was always illegal. Also, the FIA always goes to the teams first about this before they make any public announcement, just like they did with the Ferrari engines in 2019. Ferrari's pace dropped off way before a public announcement was made. 

Same thing happened with Red Bull. Max finished first or second in every race up to the British Grand Prix on 7/7.  Since that race, his pace has dropped off a cliff and has usually been finishing around 5th place over a minute behind the leader. There's a very clear correlation between Max's huge decrease in pace and when the FIA started investigating this issue.

Now Red Bull has admitted to the ride height device and said they changed their car after discussing with the FIA. 

I have found several articles that say no team was using the braking device and it was about cleaning up the rules before anyone did because there were some teams who had it almost ready to go.  Red Bull isn't slower than last year, other teams just have faster cars now. 

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/single-seaters/f1/mph-claims-surrounding-red-bulls-performance-drop-are-total-fantasy/

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

He flirts with female reporters anytime he is able to and he just does it in this hilarious way.

The caption basically says he was at some event and noticed someone in the crowd wearing some sort of platform shoes with like huge rubber underneath and he’s like I love those. I’ll sign them for you. I want my own cause I’m a midget. Lolol 

IMG_9544.jpeg

He’s not even thatttt short? 5’8?

Straight up Argentinian flare. Every Argentinian I’ve met jokes around 90% of the time and exaggerates every situation to the max, and just makes things hilarious…think Italians with Latin flare, but better… haha. 

La concha de tu hermana!!!

Edited by texas08
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, elfenix said:

They closed Moore road to non-race personnel so my usual back road entrance is gone. I assume you can go to the next exit south and avoid the intersection of Moore and Burkland Farms and still get to 812 from the east of the track. Don't go back up to 812 and 130.

Fuckers. Got dammit.

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

Not getting trackside commentary at T19 GS

Awesome. Bobby don't care. Got paid.

Early on Jenson said that all of the circuit has been resurfaced since last year. Not true. Not even close.  He seemed a little confused, but TBF, keeping track of the patchwork resurfacing they do out there is not straightforward by any means. Ant corrected him though.  I swear he reads my posts about the track. He sounds almost like he's quoting me sometimes.

The biggest effects re: the chassis, compared to last year will be from T12 to T2.

Re: that T3 bump they're referring to, yeah, it's a doozy. Lewis got launched there today. We were standing there during WEC, watching cars actually go airborne. That's on a section that was resurfaced prior to the 2023 USGP. Re: the bumps always coming back ... look at the back straight, which was resurfaced over the winter, prior to MotoGP. If you watch closely about half way down the straight you can see a lighter area across the track which is where they've done more bump grinding on a surface that's only a few months old. That's how quickly the bumps pop up.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yup it's the same.

If you know your way around, you can just ignore the paid hourly workers and drive around them when they're directing you in the opposite direction of where you know you need to be.  This helps immensely.

But when you meet up with a uniformed LEO, I do not suggest this tactic.

I heard and read that it was a disaster last night, with people leaving the track while the concertgoers were trying to arrive, which is exactly what Bobby wants. He pushed back the Friday and Saturday second sessions years ago, starting with the Taylor Swift concert, just to get more of the race-goers to go to the concert and mix with the people who are only there for the concert. For optics to get the State money. Meanwhile, most of the race-goers still leave after the racing is over, which creates a huge trafic snarl. Either way, it's good for his optics. "See? Tons of people here!!"

I also heard the paddock shuttles weren't running after Sprint Q and some people walked a long way until until they finally found a driver and his shuttle in another lot, smoking a cig. So now they're starting to piss off the 1% Bobby so desperately covets. Bold strategy, Cotton. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Red Bull caught cheating? Mark Hughes says 'Naw, man'. https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/single-seaters/f1/mph-red-bull-caught-cheating-it-absolutely-categorically-was-not/?utm_campaign=2819921_Scalextric sponsored ED_F1_191024_Floor height&utm_medium=email&utm_source=emailCampaign&dm_i=4DIP,1OFV5,75DNUM,7W9XS,1

Paywalled, so here's the gist: Basically, everyone has known about the system for years, and in order to cheat they’d have to do it in full view of the FIA scrutineers. FIA have stated they’ve found no evidence of any violation.

Edited by wood

14 hours ago, wood said:

Just heard people were stuck in Lot T for 2.5 hours after Q yesterday. Apparently no traffic control. Took 3.5 hours just to get to 130.

Getting there around 11am, there were at least 2 open gates to the track, with zero foot traffic, that most people couldn't use, since they were reserved for PSL holders.  This led to a giant mass of humanity at the main plaza gates.

During the afternoon, the free water distribution right outside the turn 12 grandstand was out of water for a while.  But, you could still buy water for $5.  Beer was $11-$14, and chicken tenders & fries were $20.

We were in Lot F, and it took us just under 2 hours to get to 130 leaving after qualifying last night.  Was definitely a shitshow with (as mentioned above) race fans leaving in droves and music fans arriving. 

On the positive side, I've been at Turn 1 and Turn 9 in previous years, and the action seen from Turn 12 was definitely better than 9, and right up there with 1, IMO.

• Rage+1 1

20 hours ago, wood said:

Red Bull caught cheating? Mark Hughes says 'Naw, man'. https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/single-seaters/f1/mph-red-bull-caught-cheating-it-absolutely-categorically-was-not/?utm_campaign=2819921_Scalextric sponsored ED_F1_191024_Floor height&utm_medium=email&utm_source=emailCampaign&dm_i=4DIP,1OFV5,75DNUM,7W9XS,1

Paywalled, so here's the gist: Basically, everyone has known about the system for years, and in order to cheat they’d have to do it in full view of the FIA scrutineers. FIA have stated they’ve found no evidence of any violation.

The original rumor was that the driver could make the height changes right?  In reality it requires two crew and taking the nose of the car.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

The original rumor was that the driver could make the height changes right?  In reality it requires two crew and taking the nose of the car.

Pretty much. I was finally able to get the whole article by turning off my wifi right after loading it. Here it is:

MPH: Red Bull caught cheating? It absolutely, categorically, was not
October 18th 2024
F1's rumour mill has been buzzing with suggestions that Red Bull could secretly, and illegally, change the height of its car's floor. Mark Hughes has the real story
Mechanics work on Red Bull F1 car in pits at 2024 United States GP

Red Bull mechanics at work in Austin: changing the floor height takes two

Grand Prix Photo
Mark Hughes

Ok, so it’s clear now – finally, after two days of sensationalist claims and firm rebuffs – what the Red Bull floor height story is really about.

Let me explain the facts and you can make up your own mind.

There would be a substantial qualifying performance gain to be had if you could raise the front floor height between qualifying and race. Especially with current ground effect cars. The last few millimetres of the small gap between floor and track surface can energise the whole underfloor massively. But if you run it too low in the race you will wear out the plank below the permitted 10% depth – which is a disqualification offence.  As is changing the setting of the floor between qualifying and race.

FIA official underneath Red Bull F1 car at 2024 United States Grand Prix

The Red Bull, unlike the other cars on the grid, has two mechanisms which can change the front floor height. There’s the conventional one accessed from beneath the car – and an additional one accessed from inside the cockpit. The first one is what would be used to change the floor height mid practice session, for example. The second one is used to give a more fine-tuned fit between floor and chassis when a new floor is fitted. It involves removing the nose, removing the heel supports of the pedals, then having one mechanic submerge himself head-first into the cockpit while another stands above the nose with the adjustment tool. The guy with his head in the cockpit aligns it precisely by sight, guiding the guy outside with the adjuster.

This mechanism has been on all Red Bulls of the last three years at least – and is on the FIA open-source parts list, ie the list of parts which teams must supply drawings of so that other teams can copy if they wish. It was a regulation introduced as a cost-saving measure at the beginning of the hybrid regulations.

The question raised by McLaren’s Zak Brown was what would there be to stop the mechanic with his head in the cockpit ‘making adjustments to the seat belts’ in front of the FIA observer to actually be changing the floor height? Well, the answer to that seems obvious. The FIA observer would surely be questioning why the other guy was standing there with his adjusting tool!

But that is it! That’s literally all there was behind wild stories of ‘Red Bull caught cheating’.

This has all the hallmarks of title-contest psychology, tit-for-tat after Red Bull pressed for changes to McLaren’s ‘Mini DRS’ wing after Baku.

The frustrating thing about such controversies is that they are meaningless from a sporting perspective, but form part of the theatre of the show. It will now be accepted as historical fact that Red Bull was caught cheating on the parc ferme regulations. It absolutely – categorically – was not. But don’t let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

• Like 1