Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

Posted (edited)

McLaren not double-stacking to get Piastri on inters one lap sooner, and then putting Norris on old softs instead of new mediums after the rain...both were the obvious wrong calls even in the moment.

They could have (arguably should have) finished 1/2. Finishing 3/4 has got to be crushing.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Shoot. I didn’t want Hamilton to win. Norris in the way at the end was a bit rough for Max but, still not certain that he could have gotten around Hamilton, who was great with that final set of tires. 

I really wanted to see some seriously wet conditions, rather than the weather tease.

Ferrari and LeClerc have been shooting themselves in teh head since Monaco, it’s quite amazing.

Perez, get the hell out of here.

46 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I really wanted to see some seriously wet conditions, rather than the weather tease.

Personally was hoping for a little more rain, but not much.  That spritz gave us an extra pit stop w/ everyone pitting w/i a lap of one another which always moves the field around much more than dry conditions.

Bit of a bummer to see McLaren go full Ferrari today.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

McLaren not double-stacking to get Piastri on inters one lap sooner, and then putting Norris on old softs instead of new mediums after the rain...both were the obvious wrong calls even in the moment.

They could have (arguably should have) finished 1/2. Finishing 3/4 has got to be crushing.

Agreed with Tommo here. Inter vs slicks - sure. Compound? Nope.

23 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

McLaren need to stop asking Lando for his opinion. They have ALL the data and numbers in front of them. Make the call and deal with it later.

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

Agreed with Tommo here. Inter vs slicks - sure. Compound? Nope.

They even radioed Norris a couple laps before the pit to tell him that Mercedes and Red Bull didn't have mediums to choose from, and that that was their advantage. 

Norris chose to match Lewis, but Lewis only chose softs because he didn't have mediums--which, again, McLaren knew. Just bizarre.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, NoName said:

Bttf GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

It's got to feel really weird driving around completely aimlessly/hopelessly on a Sunday in what's still the consistently fastest car on the track (though, damn, that gap is virtually non-existent now). The last couple of years, Sergio would at least be fun to watch after a all-too-routine disappointing Saturday because he'd win Driver of the Race going from 15th to 4th against the hilariously overmatched midfield. Now, he generally stays around where he qualifies...and he's arguably the worst Saturday performer in the field. 

One of the most premature, undeserved contract extensions I've ever seen...and I'm an Aggie.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

A comment on one of the threads from Reddit mentioned that throwing Dani in the seat for the second half of the season wouldn’t hurt that much. Let Lawson drive the seat he should already be in and finally put to rest the dumb Dani drama. If he’s better than Checo then great, and if not Horner has Lawson/Yuki waiting for him in ‘25. 

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

Bit of a bummer to see McLaren go full Ferrari today.  

I swear if it's not one thing it's another. Full credit to Lewis though

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Dani? wtf?

Yeah I kinda get what they’re saying. While he’s picked it up since China, there are younger drivers behind him that deserve a seat. The infatuation with Dani having a seat needs to end at some point so why not take advantage of the Checo situation. Personally I’d just skip the whole Dani/Yuki thing and go straight to Lwason. 

Edited by Levi

Verstappen’s to lose. I thought McLaren had turned a corner with their decision making but clearly they have not. 
McLaren Ferrari all over themselves today. Why would they put Lando on sorts when they had a new set of mediums?

On 7/6/2024 at 9:32 AM, Slacks said:

Everyone needs pace to win, of course...  I'd like to see the cars more standardized.

However I do appreciate seeing a manufacturer figure out what makes their car and driver fast.  I do like watching McLaren catch up, just as much as I think out loud, "Mercedes, wtf did you do?" or "Get your shit together Ferrari..."

The race always seems to be for 2-6.

They could make the cars more 'spec', which they've already done a lot of over the last few years, but the further they move in that direction, the further they move away from the DNA of F1. 

• Hook 'Em 3

This season has been entertaining.  Loved seeing Hamilton get the win.  Was starting to wonder if he was ever going to get another one with Merc given the state his drive the last few years.   

Some wtf moments for his Merc team(Obviously Russel's DNF) and McLaren(Medium tires, dudes) helped in the win.  I was sweating Hamilton running on softs to end the race, but the guy can manage a set of tires when it counts.

Red Bull, Checo aside, has to be like 'Holy Shit, P2!!!' given how they were running all weekend. 

On 7/7/2024 at 1:47 PM, Levi said:

A comment on one of the threads from Reddit mentioned that throwing Dani in the seat for the second half of the season wouldn’t hurt that much. Let Lawson drive the seat he should already be in and finally put to rest the dumb Dani drama. If he’s better than Checo then great, and if not Horner has Lawson/Yuki waiting for him in ‘25. 

For some reason my booze addled brain parsed this as Danica, as in Patrick.  And I gotta say, I'd enjoy seeing her try her luck at F1.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Paper_jam said:

For some reason my booze addled brain parsed this as Danica, as in Patrick.  And I gotta say, I'd enjoy seeing her try her luck at F1.

Well I'd certainly provide her a seat.

• Like 2

Wasn’t she with Aaron Rodgers’s? You may want to box box for fresh rubbers. I don’t think crazy can be caught via sexual transmission but I also don’t want to take chances.

• Like 1