Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

That was an awesome drive by George. They were lucky it wasn't another 3 laps or PIA would have passed em

They would have ordered George to move if they thought PIA was going to have a chance to pass them.

Posted (edited)

Pretty crazy that George was the only one to do the one stop. Have to think a McLaren or RB could’ve pulled that off. Sainz was talking about it, but ended up pitting. 

Spa continues to be one of the best tracks out there. Enough DRS to allow for overtaking but not enough to just breeze by. I was really surprised to see George hold off Lewis and Leclerc hold off Verstappen and Norris for the last 6 or 7 laps. I was preparing myself to see a Leclerc pole turn into a P6. 

Seems like overtaking needed to happen on new tires. Once tires were about half way through their life, they lost too much traction behind to overtake even if that driver was faster. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Pretty crazy that George was the only one to do the one stop. Have to think a McLaren or RB could’ve pulled that off. Sainz was talking about it, but ended up pitting. 

Spa continues to be one of the best tracks out there. Enough DRS to allow for overtaking but not enough to just breeze by. I was really surprised to see George hold off Lewis and Leclerc hold off Verstappen and Norris for the last 6 or 7 laps. I was preparing myself to see a Leclerc pole turn into a P6. 

Seems like overtaking needed to happen on new tires. Once tires were about half way through their life, they lost too much traction behind to overtake even if that driver was faster. 

Red Bull only had 1 set of hards.  Mercedes and McLaren both had 2.  Not sure about Ferrari.

Edited by kevwun

22 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Shaping up to be a fantastic season.  7 winners and 4 teams - when is the last time we had that in a season?

I think next season will be really exciting. Probably going to see Verstappen face a tough challenge to get that 5th straight WDC. This season is pretty much over unless he gets multiple DNFs. 

That was fun. I missed yesterday so I had no idea what was the lineup. I think that was a bad start for Perez too. I think if he had just got straight instead of trying to cut off Hamilton he might have been in better position. but, his regression would have been inevitable and Hamilton would have gotten around him.

It was very interesting watching Max attempt to work his way through. The McLarens are really good and fun to watch.

The reemergence of Mercedes has also highlighted the shit that is Aston. They have completed sucked and are now 213 points behind Mercedes. Lawrence Stroll should be kicked in the shins.

Ferrari is an interesting team right now. They are so close but, I just never really look at them as a threat to win, Monaco seems so long ago.

And if Mercedes continues to have these types of finishes I wonder what Hamilton will be thinking when he leaves for Ferrari. Have they decided who will be in Hamilton's seat for next year? I haven't seen anything, or if I have, I can't remember.

I still can't see Perez surviving for that seat for next season. 

Great job by Russell. He took a gamble and it paid off in a big way. Good for him. A few more laps and that top-three could have been flipped.

I'm getting more and more excited about the Dutch race the end of next month. I know Opa Horst keeps talking about it and how excited he is getting for that weekend.

Posted (edited)

They told Hamilton to start lifting and coasting very early in the race.  They cut it too close on fuel because they were counting on a safety car.  Russell had to drive balls out the last several laps so he couldn’t do that.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

The Astons also did a 1 stop, I believe.
  • Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Shaping up to be a fantastic season.  7 winners and 4 teams - when is the last time we had that in a season?

2023: 3 winners, 2 teams
2022: 5, 3
2021: 6, 4
2020: 6, 4
2019: 5, 3
2018: 5, 3
2017: 4, 3
2016: 4, 2
2015: 3, 2
2014: 3, 2
2013: 5, 4
2012: 8, 6

Pretty sure that's accurate - feel free to correct if not.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kevwun said:

They told Hamilton to start lifting and coasting very early in the race.  They cut it too close on fuel because they were counting on a safety car.  Russell had to drive balls out the last several laps so he couldn’t do that.

This. It is very normal to under fuel the cars in anticipation of a safety car etc. Hamilton and Russell most likely started with the same amount of fuel.

If George lift and coasts he is not DQ’d but ins’t P1 or 2 most likely either. 

SPA
• Safety Car probability – 75%*

• Virtual Safety Car probability – 13%*

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

What difference would that have made? Isn’t the weight infraction with an empty tank?

Yeah, I am pretty sure you have to drain all fuel and then get weighed. His initial weight was right on the mark but then F1 discovered they didnt completely drain the car properly and that is when they got caught. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

The cars have to weigh a minimum amount and the teams all know it, so it’s never an issue.  Mercedes tried to cover it up by leaving some fuel in the car, but got caught. 

They have to have a liter of fuel left also, but that’s a different violation now that I think about it.  Someone got dinged for it in the last few years.  It may have been Lewis.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1