Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mr. Drummond said:

I'll be that guy.    Spa looks great, fun on video games.   Doesn't really produce great races.   This year with the DRS shortening, it was even worse.     As soon as you got into dirty air, you couldnt do anything.     Ham couldnt pass George, no one could get past lecerc in the 4th best car.   But, the races?  Generally are just okay.       /ducks

The problem is not the track(s). It's the cars. They had made huge progress after years of working on it, but then the team(s) who couldn't get their heads around ground-effect racing cried loud enough and effectively nullified all that progress.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

My first thought was how many airborne cars would we see flying off of Eau Rouge.  There isn't enough downforce in the world to keep those rolling airplanes stuck to the ground coming off the Kemmel Straight and then the ground just falling away.

LOL. Exactly my first thought as well.

2 minutes ago, wood said:

The problem is not the track. It's the cars. They had made huge progress, but then the team(s) who couldn't get their heads around ground-effect racing cied loud enough and effectively nullified all that progress.

Its the cars, no doubt.

19 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Hearing lots of strange things about the Checo situation.  Will be interesting to find out what's real and what's bullshit.  Because there's a lot of it to sift through.

Yeah, F1 Insider said that Red Bull was about to move on from Checo but Liberty Media told them not so fast.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Why would Liberty Media have a say and why would they care?

Not saying I agree with it but the thinking behind it is Checo has a ton of fans in the Central/North American base. 

Yeah, F1 Insider said that Red Bull was about to move on from Checo but Liberty Media told them not so fast.

Sorta like Liberty media told Masi to end the safety car and only let 4 cars go through so Max could win?

Re: Sainz...I'm excited he's going to Williams and look forward to seeing how he contributes.  They seem to actually be executing on their long term strategy and can see them making more strides than the likes of the Alpine dumpster fire. Pretty impressed Vowels pulled it off.

• Like 1

I've heard that, and I've heard that Max was told he would have a new teammate at the next race, then 2 days later Checo is confirmed.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Re: Sainz...I'm excited he's going to Williams and look forward to seeing how he contributes.  They seem to actually be executing on their long term strategy and can see them making more strides than the likes of the Alpine dumpster fire. Pretty impressed Vowels pulled it off.
Legitimately one of the best driver lineups. If they can put a competitive car out there they can make some noise.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Why would Liberty Media have a say and why would they care?

14 hours ago, Levi said:

Not saying I agree with it but the thinking behind it is Checo has a ton of fans in the Central/North American base. 

Yeah Checo brings the Mexican audience and cash. A Mexican GP without him (especially one where got canned mid-season) would draw maybe half what it normally would, and I'd imagine he brings quite a few fans to Austin and Vegas as well.

I'd also suspect the main reason is RBR looked at Danny and Liam and perhaps thought neither was a slam dunk to perform better than Perez. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

No one has answered my question. Why would RBR allow Liberty Media to have a say in how they run their team?

In return for something. Could be all sorts of things. We'll probably never know what.

Edited by wood

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

No one has answered my question. Why would RBR allow Liberty Media to have a say in how they run their team?

I’m very skeptical Liberty stopped RBR from cutting Checo. It seems a lot more likely Carlos Slim got word and told RBR they’ll have to refund the $30ish mil he paid them for Checo to have a seat this year, and RBR had to reconsider if Danny Ric or Lawson are a $30 mil upgrade for 12 races.

Narrator: They are not. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m very skeptical Liberty stopped RBR from cutting Checo. It seems a lot more likely Carlos Slim got word and told RBR they’ll have to refund the $30ish mil he paid them for Checo to have a seat this year, and RBR had to reconsider if Danny Ric or Lawson are a $30 mil upgrade for 12 races.

Narrator: They are not. 

Liam is the one that is ultimately getting screwed by this decision. Danny is really just a dying dog getting a steak for his last meal. Liam should have been in the VCARB seat to begin with but now he has to wait even longer. I’d also bet that Danny was not going to do enough to earn the RB seat for ‘25 and the Liam would have essentially slid right in. 

Marko hinted at reshuffling the deck of VCARB & RBR drivers next year. If I had to bet on how that would end up, I'd say, based on everyone's current form, Danny will end up in Checo's seat, with Lawson moving into his VCARB seat. Checo could be the odd man out.

But as always, wewillsee. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Marko always be stirring shit tho. Probably just chugging schnapps in the back with Jos and coming up with crazy shit like, “yeah we’re gonna create experimental farm team”. Fuck both of their conniving asses.

• Haha 1

Stole their thunder. I've done it to COTA a few times, announcing shit they were planning to do, a few days ahead of their planned announcements. Fun stuff. Really pisses 'em off & leaves 'em searching for the leak.

Re: the OnlyFans thing, it's a match made in heaven. The Alpine fan club is already called LonelyFans, iirc.

Edited by wood
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

And it was announced by the Red Bull side and caught Audi off guard, apparently. They were not ready to announce it yet.

Horner probably did it to spite Audi since he was pissed they poached his guy.

Autosprint says Newey to Aston, to be announced in September due to contractual details. 4 years/$100M. They seem to have a lot of other details about why he's signing with AM, what kept him from signing with Ferrari, etc. 

453502432-956833939789302-33069701751458

Autosprint says Newey to Aston, to be announced in September due to contractual details. 4 years/$100M. They seem to have a lot of other details about why he's signing with AM, what kept him from signing with Ferrari, etc. 
453502432-956833939789302-330697017514584816-n.jpg

That’s a lot of money to keep Lance in one of the driver seats

7 minutes ago, deft said:

Max and Fred in a newey designed car with Laurence’s budget…..

Yep, and a new factory & wind tunnel, and Cowell, Cardile, Fallows, Bell, Hegedus, and Honda works status (no more Mercedes gearbox limitations), etc.

• Like 1

There are already no Mercedes gearbox limitations this year. Both teams (AMR uses Merc suspension) run a pushrod rear suspension after the gearbox case was redesigned in the offseason. McLaren already design their own suspension and have used pushrod since 2022.

Aston’s big problem historically has been in-season development. They will be better at that going forward I’m sure.

Should be fun!