Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

Nah, I think there is just too much dysfunction at RB and people can't trust each other and may be angling for jobs at other teams and are competing against each other for spots next year.

Hard to have a cohesive team in that kind of environment.

11 minutes ago, Mittens said:

My conspiracy theory is that Newey has quiet quit or is intentionally sabotaging RBR.  

IIRC he had to step out of any significant car development roles as soon as he announced he was leaving, and was even told which areas he was allowed to stand in, etc. TBF, that's SOP in these suituations. So yeah, I think RBR's performance could already be showing the effects of his absence, but who knows? I've heard that his contract ends today, so I expect an announcement of some sort soon, probably at the beginning of the next GP weekend.

Add in what hawndoh said, which could be true as well, and don't forget that RBR hasn't just lost Newey. They've lost a lot of engineering talent over the last couple of years.

Edited by wood

Alonso saying P11 is better than expected. Getting that tractor close to Q3 session is pretty dang good. AM and VCARB in season development is trash. 
Yeah, I was shocked to see Danny get P12. Saw a race pace analysis based on practice and VCARB is running .8-.9 sec per lap behind the leaders.

My conspiracy theory is that Newey has quiet quit or is intentionally sabotaging RBR.  
I don't think he has touched the F1 car since the beginning of the season, which would track with their drop-off.

Also, the cheater brakes RB got caught with before Miami is hurting them.

I don't think he has touched the F1 car since the beginning of the season, which would track with their drop-off.

If they were cheating - why don’t they lose points?
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

If they were cheating - why don’t they lose points?

That was a rumor that some F1 media outlets have debunked.

• Like 1

Funniest thing about red bull no longer providing the fastest car is verstappen bitching about all the shit that he himself does: not leaving space, moving under braking, etc. 

My guess is with the pressure from Norris hes going to shunt him off one of these races. 

20 minutes ago, deft said:

They need to give team orders to swap them for wdc points

I'm usually pretty strongly on the "fuck team orders" side of things when both have pace, but Norris has to be pretty livid right now. A month ago, he got lectured on worldwide television for damn near an hour about the importance of team in winning a championship before finally letting Oscar through to take his first race win. Only for Oscar to dive bomb him on lap 1, turn fucking 2 aggressively enough that it allowed the driver closest to Norris in points to slide between them.

40 minutes ago, deft said:

Piastri could have lasted. He didn’t need to pit. Charles is riding these tires all the way to the end.
Edit:such a bitch move even says the commenters

McLaren asked him point blank if he could make it with about 15 laps left, and he pretty unequivocally said no.

No clue what Red Bull was thinking pitting Max a second time. He was in 5th, 13 seconds up on Hamilton with 12 laps left. Lewis had fresher tires and might have caught up to the back of him, but he could have at least defended 5th. Pitting cemented him into 6th, 13 seconds behind Lewis. Odd now that Max's points actually matter again. I assume shooting for fastest lap and a "guaranteed" 9 points*, rather than risking 8 points. 

Just stoked to be this late in the season questioning strategy over 2 points from the current WDC leader.

*Lando bettered Max's time on new mediums with older hards, which shows how much better the McLarens are right now

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm usually pretty strongly on the "fuck team orders" side of things when both have pace, but Norris has to be pretty livid right now. A month ago, he got lectured on worldwide television for damn near an hour about the importance of team in winning a championship before finally letting Oscar through to take his first race win. Only for Oscar to dive bomb him on lap 1, turn fucking 2 aggressively enough that it allowed the driver closest to Norris in points to slide between them.

Man the lap one stuff I put on Lando. Clearly has a huge issues there all the way around and has all year / his career.

If the goal is to tell PIA to tske it easy on lap 1 in that situation then that's horrific team management.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

No clue what Red Bull was thinking pitting Max a second time. He was in 5th, 13 seconds up on Hamilton with 12 laps left. Lewis had fresher tires and might have caught up to the back of him, but he could have at least defended 5th. Pitting cemented him into 6th, 13 seconds behind Lewis. Odd now that Max's points actually matter again. I assume shooting for fastest lap and a "guaranteed" 9 points*, rather than risking 8 points. 

Just stoked to be this late in the season questioning strategy over 2 points from the current WDC leader.

*Lando bettered Max's time on new mediums with older hards, which shows how much better the McLarens are right now

Wasn’t Max’s first stop for a second set of hards?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

He had to pit a 2nd time because they went H - H. Needed to change to a different compound or incur a penalty.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Wasn’t Max’s first stop for a second set of hards?

1 minute ago, dieucla98 said:

He had to pit a 2nd time because they went H - H. Needed to change to a different compound or incur a penalty.

Ah yes, forgot about the multiple compound rule. Mea culpa.

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

Man the lap one stuff I put on Lando. Clearly has a huge issues there all the way around and has all year / his career.

If the goal is to tell PIA to tske it easy on lap 1 in that situation then that's horrific team management.

I thought Lando got off pretty decently this time for a change. Oscar really had to jam his way in there, forcing Norris to brake.

35 minutes ago, deft said:

McLaren is only 8 points behind in the WCC now. This persistence in staying with checo is really paying off.

No kidding. 4 victories difference yet only single digit points ahead lol. Ferrari is not too far behind. 1 DNF from verstappen and Ferrari can claw ~30 points back just like that

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Same thing that happens to them every year. They start strong but have no development during the season.

Maybe it’s just luck and the car, but it seems like piastri being this good this fast could be the next superstar. I think he’ll be regularly beating lando soon and especially if lando can’t figure out still being p1 by lap 2.

That made me try and go find posts from a few years back talking about Piastri a bit.

Took too long but I did find this. I think I had more but I’m too lazy to keep looking.

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/18134-formula-1-2021/?do=findComment&comment=3174319

All of these guys except Schwartzman have now raced in either F1 or Indycar. Not bad!

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Had a lot of shit going on so I didn’t watch the race until later, but oh my Lord, what an incredible race! That was an all time performance by Charles. I’ve seen people say Oscar could stayed out too, but I don’t think he would’ve had a chance. Oscar’s weakest point is his tire management, and it’s not like this strat was a given. Charles tyres were 5 laps older than Sainz and he beat Sainz by 17 seconds.  This was a great performance by one of the sport’s best drivers. 

It’s absolutely incredible to watch your favorite driver when in Monza for Ferrari. Grazie Ragazzi! Forza Ferrari! 

Sao Paulo Brazil GIF by Formula 1

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

What the everlivingfuck happened to aston martin?

Alonso said he likes their trajectory. And Alonso is the best. So it must be true because you can't argue against Alonso. 

I do like Alonso, generally speaking, but he ain't winning shit in that seat.