2024 Celebrity Death Pool

Wally Fairway

apollo8anders.jpg.9e4908189a76fd1c759d269fcb82cafb.jpg

Man's First Trip to the Moon

Following a tragic fire that resulted in the deaths of the three Apollo I astronauts on the launch pad during a preflight test in early 1967, NASA conducted a number of unmanned Apollo flights to test new equipment and the new Saturn V rocket. The Saturn V carried the first three-person crew into space with the Apollo 7 mission.

The Apollo 8 mission tested all of NASA’s preparations by traveling to the Moon and back. As Apollo 8 circled the Moon on Christmas Eve 1968, the astronauts on board read the first ten lines of the Book of Genesis to a massive worldwide television audience. The words of these men who were flying hundreds of thousands of miles from home had a tremendous emotional impact on worldwide audiences.

Postmaster General W. Marvin Watson, inspired by Apollo 8’s success, supported the idea of producing a stamp commemorating the voyage. The Post Office Department selected NASA’s color photograph 68-HC-870 for the 6-cent stamp design. This picture, which was taken on the mission while the men were approximately 240,000 miles from Earth, shows the moon’s surface with the Earth in the distance. The stamp featured the words “In the beginning God…”, the first words of Genesis that had been read by the astronauts.

Originally, the stamp designers considered using the phrase, “And God saw that it was good,” but removed it for fear of aggravating religious groups. Ironically, the removal of these words angered some, including Rev. Carl McIntire, a fundamentalist radio preacher. He believed that the words “In the beginning God…” had been removed from the stamp and he persuaded his followers to write to the White House asking for the words to be added back. After countless letters, the designers decided to place the words “In the beginning God…” onto the final stamp design. The lawyers from the Post Office Department feared a legal battle would ensue. However, nothing developed and the stamp was issued on May 5, 1969.

• Hook 'Em 3

Johnny Canales passed away at 77 on Thursday.

Johnny Canales, Tejano TV Host Who Championed Selena, Dies at 77

JOHNNY CANALES, THE Mexican TV host and Tejano singer, has died at 77. His family shared the news on Facebook Thursday with a heartfelt message informing fans of the entertainer’s death. No cause of death was provided.

“He was more than just a beloved husband, father, TV host, musician, and entertainer; he was a beacon of hope and joy for countless people,” read a statement on The Johnny and Nora Canales Show‘s Facebook page. “His infectious charisma and dedication to promoting Latino music and culture left a large mark on the world.”

“Johnny’s spirit will continue to live on through the countless lives he touched and the legacy he built,” the statement continued. “We thank you all for your kind words, love, and support during this difficult time. Please keep our family in your thoughts and prayers.”

Canales was a fierce advocate of Mexican music on his TV show, which jumped between Univision and Telemundo in the late Eighties and Nineties. During that time, he showcased artists such as Los Tigres Del Norte, La Mafia, and Selena, whom he championed early in her career.

Canales was born in Nuevo Leon and led a variety show in Corpus Christi in the early Eighties, where he coined the catchphrase, “You got it, take it away.”

“Our most sincere condolences, we will always remember Johnny Canales as a jovial and very happy person,” read a comment from Los Cadetes de Linares on the Facebook page. “It was a pleasure to participate in his programs and share with the beloved audience.”

Canales had a stroke in 2008 that limited his mobility and his health began to decline since then, according to Billboard. He also led an online show with his wife in 2010 and was honored with a star on the Las Vegas Walk of Stars in 2016.

'Deadliest Catch' Star Nick Mavar Dead at 59 After Medical Emergency

image.png.ff92d9c84b787f3639b4db31d36c7281.png

Nick Mavar -- who was once a deckhand on the F/V Northwestern on "Deadliest Catch" -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

The Police Chief of Bristol Bay Borough Police Department in Alaska tells TMZ ... the ex-Discovery Channel star died Thursday afternoon in Naknek -- this after experiencing a medical emergency of some sort.

BBBPD wouldn't elaborate on the nature of the medical emergency -- noting it was too early in the investigation to draw conclusions. 

Nick appeared in 98 episodes on "Deadliest Catch" from 2005 to 2021 ... serving as a deckhand responsible for maintaining the Northwestern and its mechanical equipment. He ended up bowing out of the show after a health scare involving his appendix -- a dramatic event that chronicled in one of his final episodes.

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Seems that former "Deadliest Catch" cast members should have their own category similar to 1980's / 1990's professional wrestlers and ATL rappers.

I think if you took the cast of Deadliest Catch every year against the field you'd have a pretty good chance of winning.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

spacer.pngSaw a recent photo of Gene Hackman and he really looks frail.

image.jpeg

don't recognize him - When was the last time he was in a movie (that we all know)?

40 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Looks like 2004, Welcome to Mooseport

Damn, I didn't think it was that long ago. 20 years. He did a lot of things in 2001 - The Mexican, Behind Enemy Lines...

8 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Coffee and a fried pie… living. 

Last years of my grandfather's life, he lived off of coffee, cigarettes (he'd quit....but then got old enough to say "fuck it, might as well do something I enjoy, I'm gonna die soon anyway"), cheap beer, fried shrimp, and ice cream.  He gave zero fucks, as is one's right at that age.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Last years of my grandfather's life, he lived off of coffee, cigarettes (he'd quit....but then got old enough to say "fuck it, might as well do something I enjoy, I'm gonna die soon anyway"), cheap beer, fried shrimp, and ice cream.  He gave zero fucks, as is one's right at that age.

The last years of my grandpas life consisted of a diet of scotch and ice cream, in about equal parts.  My mom disallowed the facility to let him go to the liquor store anymore and I'm absolutely convinced that killed him.  In her defense, he was spending several thousand dollars a week on scotch.  

You can't take it with you.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

The last years of my grandpas life consisted of a diet of scotch and ice cream, in about equal parts.  My mom disallowed the facility to let him go to the liquor store anymore and I'm absolutely convinced that killed him.  In her defense, he was spending several thousand dollars a week on scotch.  

How do you spend several thousands of dollars a week on scotch and live?  We can assume he was just stockpiling it, right?   

31 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

How do you spend several thousands of dollars a week on scotch and live?  We can assume he was just stockpiling it, right?   

To be honest we aren't quite sure we know, though we have suspicions.  He had become friendly with the owner the liquor store and had started buying pretty much nothing but blue label and higher grade stuff, so we think the owner of the store knew a good mark when he saw one.  He had several lady friends in his home, and we think he went to visit all of them regularly, while bearing the gift of himself and scotch.  Lastly, we think he was bribing the staff, once again with hooch for favors, such as being able to leave the facility and buy a shit load of scotch or skip dinner and just get a gallon tub of ice cream.  I suppose to an extent, a nursing home is sort of like a prison in the sense there is a microeconomy within them, and if you don't care what it costs, you can get shit if you trade.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Johnnie Walker Blue, some Chocolate Chip Mint, maybe toss in a banana.  Baby, you got yourself a Sundae /RIPcarlweathers

Sad to hear Willie passed, but what a wonderful life he led.  Greatest CF our game will ever know.  Say Hey, Heaven...

4 hours ago, BamaATL said:

And even today, the secret of his hookers and blow remains unknown to his family, who think he spent it all on scotch and ice cream.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

"Hey maybe Grandpa put all that super expensive scotch into this here crate that we can open up and toast to his wonderful life."

(opens crate)

-Cousin, what's inside?  What is it?  

"About a 2 kilos of uncut coke, a few thousand in cash, some flyers for call girls, and a note that says 'The Money's on the dresser, Chocolate'."  

-How do you know it's 2 kilos?  

"Look, in the end...grandpa couldn't see so well so I taught him the metric system by feel instead of sight."  

I either want to go out like this or surrounded by children and grandchildren smiling at me as I drift off to sleep, naturally.  Anything else is bullshit.  

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

spacer.pngSaw a recent photo of Gene Hackman and he really looks frail.

Sad to see one of my favorite actors look so old and frail. But I guess that’s what 93 looks like.

I didn’t see his early films, but he played the villain role so well. And then there was this.

Everyone dies, but I’ll be devastated when Gene Hackman dies. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2