2024 Celebrity Death Pool

Wally Fairway

I don't really see it that way.  My mom is 94 and still lives alone in the townhouse she has lived in for 40 years.  She is in good health for her age and doesn't suffer from dementia, but I just don't see much quality of life.  She has slowly lost the ability to use any kind of modern technology. She can't drive, use a cell phone, or even her tv now.  Her oven finally died and she can't use the new one because it's all digital.  I have a woman that comes over in the morning for a few hours and makes her breakfast and I go over there every day in the afternoon and stay and make dinner for her.   I am at the point now where once she passes, I think I'll be ready to go.  If it wasn't for the fact that she and my dog need me, I'd probably be ready to go right now.  What's the point in just dragging it out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 12:34 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don't really see it that way.  My mom is 94 and still lives alone in the townhouse she has lived in for 40 years.  She is in good health for her age and doesn't suffer from dementia, but I just don't see much quality of life.  She has slowly lost the ability to use any kind of modern technology. She can't drive, use a cell phone, or even her tv now.  Her oven finally died and she can't use the new one because it's all digital.  I have a woman that comes over in the morning for a few hours and makes her breakfast and I go over there every day in the afternoon and stay and make dinner for her.   I am at the point now where once she passes, I think I'll be ready to go.  If it wasn't for the fact that she and my dog need me, I'd probably be ready to go right now.  What's the point in just dragging it out.

You’re a wonderful son. But after she’s gone there will still be strippers not to marry

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah...not that it's a surprise at 94, but that one sucks just the same.

Dear lord, just listen to a bit from one of his old comedy albums.  ANY bit.  The man may have been the greatest master of comedic timing and pauses that ever lived.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Jesus Christ July has been an absolute punch in the dick already

But at least Lou Dobbs. Makes me feel a little better about the others.

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dear lord, just listen to a bit from one of his old comedy albums.  ANY bit.  The man may have been the greatest master of comedic timing and pauses that ever lived.

The Button-Down Mind of Bob Newhart is an absolute classic.  

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Man, as Brisket said, not unexpected but still tough to hear.  One of the all-time greats. 

Back with his best friend, Don Rickles.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm not glad she's dead, but I am glad she is out of office.

She was a product of gerrymandering. And a fine example of the power of incumbency and the need for term limits, especially in The House. If she’s still on the ballot in November he will win. She’ll likely be replaced by a younger similar version. That will be in office 40 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly a celebrity, but Austin legand---Pete Winstead died earlier this week (yesterday, I think).  On paper, a legend of an attorney.  But driver of commerce, philanthropy, youth outreach, medical care for those in need, city planning, crime prevention, And a helluva nice guy to boot.  

In the pantheon of Austin institutional pillars like Joe Long, Neil Kocurek, and Bob Inman.  Much of the Austin our children will grow to know will be better off, immensely, because of guys like Pete Winstead.  RIP, Pete.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, txduck87 said:

Youngsters on the board gonna struggle with this one. First thing that came to my mind when I heard he had passed. Well done.

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/10/business/susan-wojcicki-obit/index.html

Former YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki, a tech pioneer who was one of Google’s earliest employees, has died after living with lung cancer for two years, according to her husband. She was 56.

“It is with profound sadness that I share the news of Susan Wojcicki passing. My beloved wife of 26 years and mother to our five children left us today after 2 years of living with non-small cell lung cancer,” Dennis Troper wrote in a Facebook post.

Wojcicki – who was one of the most prominent women in Silicon Valley – had been involved with YouTube’s parent company Google from its earliest days, when its two founders worked out of her garage in California to build a search engine. She later became Google’s 16th employee and had worked at the company for nearly 25 years.

Wojcicki had served as YouTube’s CEO for nine years before announcing last year in a blogpost that she would be “stepping back” from her leadership role to focus on her family, health and personal projects that she was passionate about, CNN previously reported.

• Like 1