2024 Celebrity Death Pool

Wally Fairway

I can't get the Field of Dreams monologue out of my head...and I've come to a conclusion about it.

It is the finest, most endearing artistic representation of sport ever caught on film.  I fully believe that it should be played in every ballpark, before every game, about 15-20 minutes before first pitch...when people are starting to file into their seats with fresh popcorn, hot dogs, a full beer, a souvenir helmet full of ice cream for the kiddos.  That monologue is as much a part of the sport as the sport itself.  It should be forever celebrated and displayed as it is the bucket of memories that have been made, that are being made, and that will be made long down the road by going to a ballgame...or wearing a glove...and saying, "Hey Dad...you wanna have a catch?"  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Growing up my dad was always my summer league coach. We threw the ball and I hit the ball for hours in our backyard and on the field. I had the opportunity to play baseball at the collegiate level but turned down the offers to attend UT instead. So effectively the baseball connection with my dad ended after we were bounced from the playoffs my senior year of high school.

This past May my dad turned 80. I bought him a new glove and some baseballs. I went to his house and asked him if he had a glove and some balls. He gave me a strange look. I followed him to a closet where he had 6 to 8 gloves and a bucket of balls. It told him that I bought him a new one just in case he did not have one because I wanted to play catch. He couldn’t  grab a glove fast enough.

We went into the backyard, with my mom sitting on the porch watching, and played  “catch” for about an hour. That is the first time that we had played catch in 40 years. A flood of memories came back. He loved every second of it.

My story is not too dissimilar from yours, and our ages are fairly close to the same as well.  The summer after graduating HS and the 1st summer after college, I was at home (bartending some, doing other things to make $$).  My dad was playing beer league softball on Thursday nights with one of my uncles and a few of their friends.  THey asked if my cousin and I wanted to play on their team.  So for 2 full summers, I got to be on a ball field every week playing on the same team as Dad.  That will forever be one of the fondest memories I will cherish.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

We went into the backyard, with my mom sitting on the porch watching, and played  “catch” for about an hour. That is the first time that we had played catch in 40 years. A flood of memories came back. He loved every second of it.

verklempt mike myers GIF

I know what I'm doing over the holidays with my dad, and my son.

• Like 2

Growing up my dad was always my summer league coach. We threw the ball and I hit the ball for hours in our backyard and on the field. I had the opportunity to play baseball at the collegiate level but turned down the offers to attend UT instead. So effectively the baseball connection with my dad ended after we were bounced from the playoffs my senior year of high school.

This past May my dad turned 80. I bought him a new glove and some baseballs. I went to his house and asked him if he had a glove and some balls. He gave me a strange look. I followed him to a closet where he had 6 to 8 gloves and a bucket of balls. It told him that I bought him a new one just in case he did not have one because I wanted to play catch. He couldn’t  grab a glove fast enough.

I think I've shared this before but I have a similar story about my dad...

I stopped playing baseball my freshman year in high school.  Leading up to that, my dad had probably thrown me thousands of pitches for BP and another thousands of ground balls.   When I stopped playing it all kind of just ended. 

Flash forward to around 2002 or so and Mrs. Macanudo and we're visiting him and his new wife in Oregon one summer.  We went out to the coast for a day trip and had taken two cars.  After we got set up on the beach my dad asked me to go back to his car and grab the bag he'd left in the trunk.  When I opened the trunk, there was a small bag that I could see two gloves and a couple of balls.  One glove was his beat up, but still perfectly good old Wilson one from all those years ago.  The other looked nearly new but had clearly been broken in. 

I walked back down to the beach and tried to keep it together when I tossed him his glove and said "let's do this."

We played catch for at least 30-45 minutes before taking a break.   Between my dad, Mrs. Macanudo (She played softball growing up) and I, the three of us tossed the ball around a good chunk of the day. 

God times.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Until the next day when his arthritis kicked in and the tendons in his shoulder and elbow burned like fire.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Speaking of monsters: how are your gourds? 

Going to be a disappointing class this year - quit with the monthly updates just because of how far gone they were the last time I checked. My landscapers tried to throw them away (that was a difficult and strange conversation for everyone given the language barrier...), so I hid them deeper into the undergrowth just because I am rarely home when they come.

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Scary Stranger said:

I didn’t scroll up. Does anyone have Diddy mysteriously hanging himself while the guards are on a smoke break?

I don't know whether I could look it up even if I wanted to, but I am pretty sure I have picked him in past years. Might dust that one off for next season if he's still on the board then...