2024 Celebrity Death Pool

Wally Fairway

1 hour ago, txduck87 said:

RIP Fernando Valenzuela . Ex Dodgers pitcher. Amazing in his prime. 63.

We are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of former Dodgers great Fernando Valenzuela.

“Fernandomania” swept through baseball in 1981 when the 20-year old rookie sensation began the season 8-0 with a 0.50 ERA. The lefthander capped off his incredible year by winning both the NL Rookie of the Year and Cy Young Awards while helping lead Los Angeles to a World Series title.

Valenzuela pitched 17 Major League seasons, was a 6-time All-Star, and has the most wins (173) and strikeouts (2,074) of any Mexican-born pitcher.

He spent the last 22 years as a Spanish language broadcaster for the Dodgers, who retired his No. 34 in 2023. He was 63.

51 minutes ago, Burt said:

He was only 63???  I'm struggling with the fact that he started pitching in the big leagues when I was 11.  He should be older!  

Fuck, I'm old!

Matt Damon Grandpa GIF

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Burt said:

He was only 63???  I'm struggling with the fact that he started pitching in the big leagues when I was 11.  He should be older!  

Fuck, I'm old!

I'm 45, I think he broke in the year I was born.  I remember being in little league several years later and every coach trying to teach you his delivery.  

25 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

In ' 81, I convinced one of my dumbass cousins to try an incredibly stupid (and dangerous) jump on his bike by promisong I'd give him my "Fernando" baseball card.

He tried the jump and fucked up the landing big time.  I can still remember the look in his eyes when he hit the ramp and realized that he had made a terrible decision.  When he landed, his bike just disintegrated into about 8 pieces.  Wheels came off the forks.  The frame broke in 3 places.  The handle bars came off the front fork.  I have no idea how he didnt seriously hurt himself.  He hobbled away from his destroyed bike and into my house where I gave him a Fernando ARROYO card.  

He was not amused.

But this was also the cousin that a friend and I convinced to pee on an electric fence later that day.  And that was the 2nd time we had talked him into doing that.  He had peed on the fence a few days before.  

That's just cold.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

In ' 81, I convinced one of my dumbass cousins to try an incredibly stupid (and dangerous) jump on his bike by promisong I'd give him my "Fernando" baseball card.

He tried the jump and fucked up the landing big time.  I can still remember the look in his eyes when he hit the ramp and realized that he had made a terrible decision.  When he landed, his bike just disintegrated into about 8 pieces.  Wheels came off the forks.  The frame broke in 3 places.  The handle bars came off the front fork.  I have no idea how he didnt seriously hurt himself.  He hobbled away from his destroyed bike and into my house where I gave him a Fernando ARROYO card.  

He was not amused.

But this was also the cousin that a friend and I convinced to pee on an electric fence later that day.  And that was the 2nd time we had talked him into doing that.  He had peed on the fence a few days before.  

49jwiu.jpg

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of former Dodgers great Fernando Valenzuela.

“Fernandomania” swept through baseball in 1981 when the 20-year old rookie sensation began the season 8-0 with a 0.50 ERA. The lefthander capped off his incredible year by winning both the NL Rookie of the Year and Cy Young Awards while helping lead Los Angeles to a World Series title.

Valenzuela pitched 17 Major League seasons, was a 6-time All-Star, and has the most wins (173) and strikeouts (2,074) of any Mexican-born pitcher.

He spent the last 22 years as a Spanish language broadcaster for the Dodgers, who retired his No. 34 in 2023. He was 63.

Matt Damon Grandpa GIF

Who was the poster that named the family owl “Fernando Owlenzuela”?  Because that was awesome!

• Haha 1

1960's Tarzan, Ron Ely passed. https://apnews.com/article/ron-ely-dies-tarzan-c178710bd441325a8d242b5349454df3 From Hereford and Amarillo.

As a kid of the 70s-80s, I recall he was a game show host (Name that Tune?) for a while and it was always mentioned that he was Tarzan. 

the following is a horrible event for his family a couple of years ago:

In 2019, he tragically returned to the news when his 62-year-old wife, Valerie Lundeen Ely, was stabbed to death at their Santa Barbara, California, home by their 30-year-old son, Cameron Ely, who was subsequently shot and killed by police. Ron Ely, who was home during the stabbing, challenged the prosecutor’s report that his son’s shooting was justified.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

1960's Tarzan, Ron Ely passed. https://apnews.com/article/ron-ely-dies-tarzan-c178710bd441325a8d242b5349454df3 From Hereford and Amarillo.

As a kid of the 70s-80s, I recall he was a game show host (Name that Tune?) for a while and it was always mentioned that he was Tarzan. 

Ron Ely went to UT and sat a few rows behind me at a game at DKR.

I got him to sign my ticket stub during a timeout.

Nice guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Amir Abdur Rahim, 43 and head coach of South Florida's basketball team.  He also coached Kennesaw State to their first NCAA bid.  His brother is Shareef Abdur Rahim, of NBA fame.  Shareef was a few years older than me, but I remember seeing him play in high school, phenomenal. 

Obviously very young, and apparently some sort of medical complication.  I remember hearing him on local radio after Kennesaw's success of getting the tournament and they won a game, I think against Georgetown.  I remember him being quite likable during his interviews.  I never put together the relationship with his brother and it was not brought up.  

Very sad thing, sorry to hear it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/24/2024 at 8:38 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sad story about his wife and son. I did get a chuckle out of this:

Ely said in interviews that he did his own stunts on the show, working directly and precariously with the tigers, chimpanzees and other wild animals that were Tarzan’s friends and servants.

“They first tried to cast a former American football player called Mike Henry but he didn’t like chimpanzees and from the moment he got on set, things went south in a hurry,” Ely told London’s Daily Express in 2013.

A chimp attacked Henry and injured his jaw when the show’s pilot was being filmed, and Ely was cast in his place at the last moment.

Right Turn Clyde Compilation on Make a GIF

Awww damn….this one hurts. Coming off of Ygif’s memorial service I was already planning on getting drunk and listening to some Grateful Dead tonight. Phil was, to me, the greatest bass player ever. For an instrument that is so often subtle and in the background, he played bass more like a lead guitarist. RIP to a fucking legend!!

• Hook 'Em 1