2024 ACL Festival

texasdago

was a good day

the Saint Cecilla might end up being somebody.  closed with young man blues and did a bang up job covering the The Who version.

Sir Chloe was not really my cup of tea but  good band

Mannequin Pussy was excellent - she had to be burning up on that stage at 4PM direct sun right in their face

Dexter and Moonrocks - the BMI stage is tiny and has shitty sound.  unfortunately, their  songs kept getting stopped because of some medical issues in the crowd.  I think they'd be excellent in a small club.

Leon Bridges was fantastic. never seen him before so was nice treat

Blink 182 - tight, Travis is a monster. power pop punk is always fun. half of the joke stuff between songs is just to let Delonge catch his breath. Close was great.  knocked them off the list.

Will have to catch Stapleton another time.  still pissed they didn't put him on Saturday across from Dua Lipa instead of Blink. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s a weird lineup this year but I’m an old.  Still had fun yesterday.  Mannequin was great.  Leon Bridges and Stapleton were good. Norah Jones can still get it.  Back today with clients.  There is nobody in the slate today I give a shit about but will watch Dua Lipa for reasons. If there is anyone 2:30 onward that I should absolutely check out I am all ears.  

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

It’s a weird lineup this year but I’m an old.  Still had fun yesterday.  Mannequin was great.  Leon Bridges and Stapleton were good. Norah Jones can still get it.  Back today with clients.  There is nobody in the slate today I give a shit about but will watch Dua Lipa for reasons. If there is anyone 2:30 onward that I should absolutely check out I am all ears.  

Similar all around (minus the clients part). This is my 20th year to attend and I long ago stopped recognizing most band names except maybe half of the headliners.  Most years I make time to get familiar with the unknowns before the festival but this year I didn't bother.

For today- @texasdago posted his picks upthread somewhere. I've favorited his picks in the app for when I'm wandering around but will generally end up going with the flow of my group and enjoying the people watching and drinks. 

Norah Jones was fantastic yesterday and I also really enjoyed Elderbrook, Mannequin Pussy, Foster the People, Porter Robinson, and Blink 182. 

Edited by KaiserSoze

15 minutes ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Blink 182 delivered the nostalgic sonic bomb and sounded great, but the banter between songs was lame cringy.

agreed.  part of that is their schtick from early days(the teen punk dgaf banter) but I really think they mainly do it now for delonge.  dude was out of breath after songs a lot.  getting old sucks.

agreed.  part of that is their schtick from early days(the teen punk dgaf banter) but I really think they mainly do it now for delonge.  dude was out of breath after songs a lot.  getting old sucks.

isn’t the other guy the one who is a cancer survivor? maybe the breaks are for him as well or delonge just needs to hit the peloton about a month before going on tour.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ballrific said:

isn’t the other guy the one who is a cancer survivor? maybe the breaks are for him as well or delonge just needs to hit the peloton about a month before going on tour.

not sure to be honest.  delonge seemed to be out of breath after he sang, when he would talk in between.  I think Delonge hit the drugs hard for a while so just might be shit catching up to him.  I wasn't a big deal.  As stated up thread, they were no Bob Schneider's that's for sure.

Yall may not know this but Dua Lipa is hot and sings all of the songs that you thought Kids Bop did first.  But seriously was a lot of fun.  And I am an old.  

Yes. Checked for 1.5 hrs. Can confirm, she’s still hot.

Who is worth seeing on Sunday before 6?

14 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Yall may not know this but Dua Lipa is hot and sings all of the songs that you thought Kids Bop did first.  But seriously was a lot of fun.  And I am an old.  

She might be the only woman that has made me question my homosexuality. Good show. She had um, a lot of vocal support. But it was still good 

• Like 1

She might be the only woman that has made me question my homosexuality. Good show. She had um, a lot of vocal support. But it was still good 

You mean she couldn’t really hit all those notes on pitch and in time while dancing around like a cat in heat?

I’m shocked. Shocked.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Unrelated, but I need festival input:  anyone of y'all been to Bonnaroo?  How does it compare to ACL, pain in the ass wise, crowd size wise, etc.?

Last I went was in like 2010, so I’m sure it’s changed. It’s a camping festival so the logistics are way different. Crowd sizes back then were comparable. It’s really fucking hot out in the middle of Tennessee farmland in the middle of June. I don’t know if they offer glamping type accommodations now that I see other festivals offering. I’ve heard it’s become more corporate, but everything has. 

It’s fun. I recommend going at least once.m

4 hours ago, Viper said:

As close as I could get to Chappell Roan 

PXL_20241006_235042538.thumb.jpg.713b0956fc5810fac239512533d57bd8.jpg

I was probably right next to you.  I actually fought my way from up front on the right, near the Amex Saloon, to the back just so I could get to sturgill.

She will likely be headlining next year if she doesn't cancel shows.

29 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Loved Sturgill. It was also the least crowded headliner set I’ve seen at acl. 
IMG_0011.thumb.jpeg.27e2484cd255e1653f060d7b0e02d0b6.jpeg

It was actually really nice that it wasn't crowded and people walking all over.  you could get into the show.  never seen him.  you can tell he brings it every night.

5 hours ago, Viper said:

Mike. Knows no one's gives a fuck what he does so he brought a random guy up to chug a beer

PXL_20241007_000619363.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.thumb.jpg.77c535e5fdeadd9f4d6982e8cb00fd37.jpg

I had a backstage wristband and was in mix right on the center aisle and Mike walked all the way down the aisle out to us, when I saw him coming I quickly snagged a handful of ice cold Miller Lites from the C3 yeti cooler……MIKE. my buddy and I slammed a beer during his last song. I hope that shit was on the big screen cuz everyone around us thought it was epic

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

I had a backstage wristband and was in mix right on the center aisle and Mike walked all the way down the aisle out to us, when I saw him coming I quickly snagged a handful of ice cold Miller Lites from the C3 yeti cooler……MIKE. my buddy and I slammed a beer during his last song. I hope that shit was on the big screen cuz everyone around us thought it was epic

I have to give the guy credit... he seemed to have a good personality and vibe.  I can't say it was the greatest of shows but the guy was put into a pretty awkward situation.  My wife and her friends were way up on Chappell Roan and I just wasn't that interested, primarily because I had gone 100% for all three days so I wandered over to San Holo (which was packed) and then to catch a bit of his set.  So quiet back there.  

Yesterday I really enjoyed Glass Beams... then caught a bit of Bakar, half of the Myles Smith set then Cannons while our friends waited for Chappell Roan... over to San Holo then Dom Dolla (amazing DJ set) and Tyler the Creator.  

Geese turned out to be one of my big "never heard this band but they kick ass" surprises.  The Criticals were good..  BALTHVS was great and I may go back to Antone's to see them this week.  Still Woozy was meh.  Khurangbin was awesome although the Khruangbin / BALTHVS similarities are weird (yes, we know who was first) despite BALTHVS having a harder, more psychedelic sound.  Jungle was one of the best shows of the weekend.  Then we caught a bit of Pretty Lights before going to Dua.  Not kidding but 95% of the festival was at Dua with 5% at Pretty Lights.  People talk about the Chappell Roan crowd but Dua was bigger.

Yeah... I'm working backwards...

Enjoyed Saint Cecilia.  Good to see a band really getting their start.  Sir Chloe has a good sound... I like her music.  She's a little offputting just in her vibe.  Mannequin Pussy one of the best shows of the weekend - so so good! Foster the People put on a fantastic show, Elderbrook was good but not mindblowing... I don't know... and then Porter Robinson was better than I expected.  By that point on Monday, our son was whining incessantly and we left before Blink or Stapleton.  I got a full 3 days in though... it was a great weekend!

Saw bits and pieces of Britney Davis, PawPaw Rod, Benson Boone, Teddy Swims

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Viper said:

Can someone explain to me all the people buying cans of liquid death? water is free here

Every time I tried to go to a hydration station it had just a ridiculously long line so, yeah, I sucked it up and bought some water here and there.  

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Every time I tried to go to a hydration station it had just a ridiculously long line so, yeah, I sucked it up and bought some water here and there.  

The station by bmi never had lines. Also no lines in the T-Mobile club if you can get in. But yeah the lines at the ones by amex sucked. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

I have to give the guy credit... he seemed to have a good personality and vibe.  I can't say it was the greatest of shows but the guy was put into a pretty awkward situation.  My wife and her friends were way up on Chappell Roan and I just wasn't that interested, primarily because I had gone 100% for all three days so I wandered over to San Holo (which was packed) and then to catch a bit of his set.  So quiet back there.  

Yesterday I really enjoyed Glass Beams... then caught a bit of Bakar, half of the Myles Smith set then Cannons while our friends waited for Chappell Roan... over to San Holo then Dom Dolla (amazing DJ set) and Tyler the Creator.  

Geese turned out to be one of my big "never heard this band but they kick ass" surprises.  The Criticals were good..  BALTHVS was great and I may go back to Antone's to see them this week.  Still Woozy was meh.  Khurangbin was awesome although the Khruangbin / BALTHVS similarities are weird (yes, we know who was first) despite BALTHVS having a harder, more psychedelic sound.  Jungle was one of the best shows of the weekend.  Then we caught a bit of Pretty Lights before going to Dua.  Not kidding but 95% of the festival was at Dua with 5% at Pretty Lights.  People talk about the Chappell Roan crowd but Dua was bigger.

Yeah... I'm working backwards...

Enjoyed Saint Cecilia.  Good to see a band really getting their start.  Sir Chloe has a good sound... I like her music.  She's a little offputting just in her vibe.  Mannequin Pussy one of the best shows of the weekend - so so good! Foster the People put on a fantastic show, Elderbrook was good but not mindblowing... I don't know... and then Porter Robinson was better than I expected.  By that point on Monday, our son was whining incessantly and we left before Blink or Stapleton.  I got a full 3 days in though... it was a great weekend!

Saw bits and pieces of Britney Davis, PawPaw Rod, Benson Boone, Teddy Swims

they really screwed up by not having someone bigger across from Dua Lipa. no one cares about Pretty Lights(whoever they are). Wife and daughter bailed after 3 songs because it was such a cluster.   

The Saint Cecilia lead singer has the Leif Garrett vibe going...

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Maybe he's just really tall.

or he brought in an illegal drone

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

they really screwed up by not having someone bigger across from Dua Lipa. no one cares about Pretty Lights(whoever they are). Wife and daughter bailed after 3 songs because it was such a cluster.   

Well you just pointed out You don't know who they are. In the EDM world, they are pretty big.  Last year was ODESZA vs Hozier.  I think you just ran into the situation where you literally had a massive pop star with no shows in the US You so everyone was there.  You know a bigger star would not have wanted to go against Dua. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Well you just pointed out You don't know who they are. In the EDM world, they are pretty big.  Last year was ODESZA vs Hozier.  I think you just ran into the situation where you literally had a massive pop star with no shows in the US You so everyone was there.  You know a bigger star would not have wanted to go against Dua. 

fair enough. that may have been the issue.  I can say they could have a big safety situation on their hands if something happened.   the way the park necks down to that stage could be trouble and the bars block a lot of movement.  they have the emergency exits but if the outside people don't move fast enough it could get really ugly with a crowd that large and tight.

Our little core group has established ‘home base’ under a tree between the water station and handicap viewing platform on that side of the field for something like a decade now.  Our friends know where to find us, gives us a place to sit / socialize that’s out of the way, and being 40’s/50’s we definitely prefer a shaded spot to recuperate between excursions around the park.  

A few us were about four songs into Pretty Lights when we got the wive’s ‘SOS, we’re being overrun’ text…so we walked back over to help take down our stuff.  Holy smokes even in that little semi-secluded corner it was borderline scary levels of crowding.  

That was somewhere between Lizzo and Bob Dylan levels of crush-risk.  Both of which were shows that I noped out of as fast I possibly could…all it takes is one panicky person to cause serious issues.  

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

Our little core group has established ‘home base’ under a tree between the water station and handicap viewing platform on that side of the field for something like a decade now.  Our friends know where to find us, gives us a place to sit / socialize that’s out of the way, and being 40’s/50’s we definitely prefer a shaded spot to recuperate between excursions around the park.  

A few us were about four songs into Pretty Lights when we got the wive’s ‘SOS, we’re being overrun’ text…so we walked back over to help take down our stuff.  Holy smokes even in that little semi-secluded corner it was borderline scary levels of crowding.  

That was somewhere between Lizzo and Bob Dylan levels of crush-risk.  Both of which were shows that I noped out of as fast I possibly could…all it takes is one panicky person to cause serious issues.  

Yup... and @dcar00 alluded to it, as well.  We saw about 10 minutes of the Pretty Lights set and the made our way down to Dua because my wife really wanted to see Dua Lipa over PL.  We made our way past the Tito's tent, past the Amex lounge and over to one of the bar/VIP sections on the left of the stage.  It was impossible to move.  At one point our area started getting more and more jostled and we decided, "F this, let's go way back".  We tried to make our way back and it was so full of people... lots of pushing and shoving and not much you could do.  It was very uncomfortable.  If there's one thing I've started learning during these insane shows is that sometimes it is impossible to move in the flow/lanes on the edges and they get really backed up... often because you hit a road block when there is a line for something like the refreshment stations.  Sometimes the easier thing to do is go straight towards the center and zig zag your way through and back.  

I also think the people who build encampments with chairs and blankets and all kinds of crap make things harder.  F chairs... sorry.  Get them to the side, not the middle.  

That said, I may go back this weekend to go see Jungle again.  This time, if I go, I'm going to get to the rail.