2024 ACL Festival

texasdago

52 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Yup... and @dcar00 alluded to it, as well.  We saw about 10 minutes of the Pretty Lights set and the made our way down to Dua because my wife really wanted to see Dua Lipa over PL.  We made our way past the Tito's tent, past the Amex lounge and over to one of the bar/VIP sections on the left of the stage.  It was impossible to move.  At one point our area started getting more and more jostled and we decided, "F this, let's go way back".  We tried to make our way back and it was so full of people... lots of pushing and shoving and not much you could do.  It was very uncomfortable.  If there's one thing I've started learning during these insane shows is that sometimes it is impossible to move in the flow/lanes on the edges and they get really backed up... often because you hit a road block when there is a line for something like the refreshment stations.  Sometimes the easier thing to do is go straight towards the center and zig zag your way through and back.  

I also think the people who build encampments with chairs and blankets and all kinds of crap make things harder.  F chairs... sorry.  Get them to the side, not the middle.  

That said, I may go back this weekend to go see Jungle again.  This time, if I go, I'm going to get to the rail.

the chair people(mostly old but not all old) of which I am one(back needs rest and ground is no bueno), are off to the side very much.  the problem is way too many people means there is really no "side" anymore.  that thing was dangerous even if you removed all the chairs.

the Honda stage would allow for way more people not getting funneled as there is plenty of area towards the miller lite stage but doesn't look as cool with downtown in the background.

They should probably move the bars back farther but that ruins the VIP situation so it will never happen.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

the chair people(mostly old but not all old) of which I am one(back needs rest and ground is no bueno), are off to the side very much.  the problem is way too many people means there is really no "side" anymore.  that thing was dangerous even if you removed all the chairs.

the Honda stage would allow for way more people not getting funneled as there is plenty of area towards the miller lite stage but doesn't look as cool with downtown in the background.

They should probably move the bars back farther but that ruins the VIP situation so it will never happen.  

To be honest, I think the Amex stage set up sucks ass.  The VIP section is massive so even if you are "close" (we were two people back from the railing on Khruangbin), you are far away from the stage.  The area is narrower, in general and it is flat whereas the Honda stage has a smaller VIP section and there are sections where slight contour can make for a better view unless you are too close down towards Miller Lite.  I do lover how Miller Lite makes it easy to get close if you want or you can get a good view from the hill towards Miller Lite.  

This was Jungle from the hill but, like I said, if I go this Saturday my ass will be on the rail...

image.thumb.png.9812ddd02a8f8f42b1dd8258b2a971ae.png

Wide angle shot but you can see what I mean on Amex and Khruangbin.  Half of the people in VIP are yappers guzzling free drinks.

image.thumb.png.75ac2b662991613d43264152d7677cf8.png

Give me the Tito's rail all day long...

image.thumb.png.74181493858bb21d93c47f17c1083699.png

image.thumb.png.0728676311fdd3d20276703cfad3499a.png

image.png.db843e4b3a44993d7861447bb8e89721.png

Also, more Geese, please!

image.thumb.png.a8b3e20bde68b90baa3a9a27bc779de9.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/7/2024 at 8:14 AM, texasdago said:

Geese turned out to be one of my big "never heard this band but they kick ass" surprises.  The Criticals were good..  BALTHVS was great and I may go back to Antone's to see them this week.  Still Woozy was meh.  Khurangbin was awesome although the Khruangbin / BALTHVS similarities are weird (yes, we know who was first) despite BALTHVS having a harder, more psychedelic sound.  Jungle was one of the best shows of the weekend.  Then we caught a bit of Pretty Lights before going to Dua.  Not kidding but 95% of the festival was at Dua with 5% at Pretty Lights.  People talk about the Chappell Roan crowd but Dua was bigger.

Yeah... I'm working backwards...

Enjoyed Saint Cecilia.  Good to see a band really getting their start.  Sir Chloe has a good sound... I like her music.  She's a little offputting just in her vibe.  Mannequin Pussy one of the best shows of the weekend - so so good! Foster the People put on a fantastic show, Elderbrook was good but not mindblowing... I don't know... and then Porter Robinson was better than I expected.  By that point on Monday, our son was whining incessantly and we left before Blink or Stapleton.  I got a full 3 days in though... it was a great weekend!

Saw Jungle at the Moody Amphiteater Friday and it was a lot of fun. It will be very hard for me to pass on their ACL set after having that great of a time, but Vince Staples had a great album this year.... . Decisions to be made. 

Probably taking the Glass Beams rec for Sunday since I don't have much I'm dying to see before Sturgill. Geese seems like they'd be cool but that's cutting it close to kickoff and there's no decision to be made there. 

54 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Saw Jungle at the Moody Amphiteater Friday and it was a lot of fun. It will be very hard for me to pass on their ACL set after having that great of a time, but Vince Staples had a great album this year.... . Decisions to be made. 

Probably taking the Glass Beams rec for Sunday since I don't have much I'm dying to see before Sturgill. Geese seems like they'd be cool but that's cutting it close to kickoff and there's no decision to be made there. 

Yeah that's the thing... I'm waffling on going Saturday.  Texas OU or ACL again.  If I do ACL, I need to tell people who I know to not say anything about the game.  I almost pulled it off 2 years ago until the end when someone told me 49-0.  I watched the end of Texas OU waiting for Ben Kweller last year.  My phone was about to melt in the heat.

56 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Whatever you do, don't count on watching the game in the beer tent at ACL.  I tried last year -- total zoo.  No viewing angles if you hadn't been there camping out for a good while.

If I go this Saturday, I should be able to get access to the Miller Lite Lounge which means impossible to ignore the game

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Whatever you do, don't count on watching the game in the beer tent at ACL.  I tried last year -- total zoo.  No viewing angles if you hadn't been there camping out for a good while.

This is unfortunate. Was definitely my plan, but now I can hope to have sufficient signal to stream on my phone.

On 10/8/2024 at 12:10 PM, texasdago said:

This was Jungle from the hill but, like I said, if I go this Saturday my ass will be on the rail...

I was able to pretty easily get to about 25 feet center, about 30 minutes before start time. Then moved up another 5+ feet during the show.  No chance I could have pulled this off if I’d arrived 10 minutes later. 

IMG_6454.jpeg

• Like 1

I was there and had a blast last year? Perhaps I was one of the campers. Hard to recall.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I was there and had a blast last year? Perhaps I was one of the campers. Hard to recall.

I could see about half the screen from the left rail.  I ended up just getting a beer with my daughter and listening on my phone.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2024 at 9:42 PM, Chad Fuck said:

We were there as well.  I think we started the game at home, drove down to ACL, and finished the game at the beer tent.  With the 2:30 start, there will be many more people at ACL when the game is on this year, though.

We were there as well.  I think we started the game at home, drove down to ACL, and finished the game at the beer tent.  With the 2:30 start, there will be many more people at ACL when the game is on this year, though.

True. I basically got out there early just to watch the game in the beer tent. My real ACL didn’t start until after the game was over, which was just fine with me.

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

True. I basically got out there early just to watch the game in the beer tent. My real ACL didn’t start until after the game was over, which was just fine with me.

I didn't have that luxury, my daughter had the 12:15 slot in the Tito's tent.  Kinda couldn't miss that.

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I didn't have that luxury, my daughter had the 12:15 slot in the Tito's tent.  Kinda couldn't miss that.

Oh yes.  I was there.  I had friends holding down the fort while I went over there and checked that out.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Got a wristband for more tomfoolery tomorrow. 

May need to work in The Beaches this time and some other bands I missed.  Maybe maybe will go Sunday.  We'll see.  Dust is going to be killer.

I got to see the back half of The Beaches set last weekend and really enjoyed it.  Kind of an edgier Go-Gos punk/pop vibe that hit right.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Stumbled into free Platinum passes for Sat/Sun. 
Heat will be bad but figure free drinks and shaded cabana will make up for it. 

I know they got rid of the free food, but it's good to know there's at least still free drinks

1 hour ago, destroya said:

Anyone have any must sees or recs for today? Thinking about getting a day pass but am. Not familiar with many of the artists playing today. 

We are camping out between Honda and Miller Lite to end the night with The Red Clay Strays and Sturgill Simpson.  Will probably catch Jess Glynne and Cannons as well.  I suspect there will be more people at Amex and T-Mobile watching Chappell Roan and Tyler, the Creator with Dom Dolla in between.  Dom Dolla puts on a great DJ show - I might start with Dom Dolla and move to The Red Clay Strays.  I don't know anyone prior to 4:00.

16 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

We are camping out between Honda and Miller Lite to end the night with The Red Clay Strays and Sturgill Simpson.  Will probably catch Jess Glynne and Cannons as well.  I suspect there will be more people at Amex and T-Mobile watching Chappell Roan and Tyler, the Creator with Dom Dolla in between.  Dom Dolla puts on a great DJ show - I might start with Dom Dolla and move to The Red Clay Strays.  I don't know anyone prior to 4:00.

This is an understatement. Last week for Sturgill we could have set up chairs 15 rows back and nobody would have said anything. Room to move, room to dance, easy to go get a beer and come back. I’ve never seen a headline set like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Stringer said:

Beyond being smoke, she seems cool as shit and just having a great time being famous. Going to Donn’s just confirms all of that.

I'll repost the Day Drinking episode she did. She drinks like a Russian hooker. I love her mucho.

The Chappell Roan crowd took over damn near the entirety of ACL today. I have never seen anything like it. Absolutely insane. I feel bad for anyone playing at same time. 

She put on good show, definitely entertaining and exceptional crowd watching from the cabanas looking out. 

26 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

The Chappell Roan crowd took over damn near the entirety of ACL today. I have never seen anything like it. Absolutely insane. I feel bad for anyone playing at same time. 

She put on good show, definitely entertaining and exceptional crowd watching from the cabanas looking out. 

This was the guy playing opposite Chappell Roan on the Honda stage.   Mike.

20241013_185618.thumb.jpg.5d2598f1d930f78130f18a4ff2bdd198.jpg

This was Chappell Roan from the top of the hill behind T-mobile.

20241013_190934.thumb.jpg.d4ac5a7ff690d178876a1bac1675f236.jpg

View of same song from where we were. It was nuts. We stationed ourselves there 3 hours prior in order to have that spot and had to fight to keep it. Luckily there was nice Aggie kid there who had a chair he ket me sit on between sets. He'll forever be my favorite Aggie. Last time I do that, I'm getting to old for that shit. She killed it though. I'm a fan.

• Like 1