South Padre Island

RollLeft

56 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Did anybody ID the shark that ate that lady's calf?  

Haven’t seen so, although it got caught on film and by a drone.  I would bet money it’s likely a bull shark or maybe a tiger shark. It was the same one that bit several people.  It’s going to be hard to find the exact one if they didn’t get it that day, there’s lots of good-sized sharks out there. 

I remember being down there when a record lemon shark got brought in, which is a type that almost never bites but it’s still really sobering to see what’s out there with you. 

About 10 years ago I was fishing the surf in front of our place one morning. A man from Monterrey and his son were fishing, typical broomstick double drop setup, catching small trash fish. I was throwing a topwater on a light rod. I caught a few nice reds. We made friends and I see the guy and son later that day with all new rods and topwaters. For a few days we met early and caught some nice fish. One late afternoon I went out at the major and strung three nice trout, kid came with me and caught a few. 

That night I see a large emergency response on the beach just north of our condo (same place as shark attack on the 4th) The kid went out again in the evening and got bit on the foot by a shark. See the kid the next day all stitched up and he was pissed he couldn’t fish any more due to the puncture wounds in the top and bottom of his foot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Nice.  We were there a couple of weeks ago.  Catching ghost shrimp occupied my son for hours daily on the beach.  We had a slow day bay fishing first day out but my 7 YO son landed a 30 inch red right as we were about to call it a day.  Was pretty great.  The other day was slow in the bay early as the water was super calm and fish weren't biting (only 1 keeper trout) but it was calm enough we went several miles out in his flat bottom and caught 5 keeper snapper (and another 4 that were just under the limit) + 15 big spadefish all in about 90 minutes.  Was a blast. 

Cook your catch at Viva was amazing (was last year as well) but it's gotten pretty popular so for anyone reading make reservations in high season.  First time we tried (on a Sunday) they weren't event taking walk ups so we immediately booked for Thurs and they only had a handful of spots left it seemed like.

21 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Viva is one of our favorites. 

I need a good nearshore guide, mine passed away not too long ago. We loved making the loop

This the guy I've had great experiences with 2 years in a row.  Capt. Josh (@fishinfrenzycharters) • Instagram photos and videos    Really a bay guide but he took us out a bit with calm waters.  He has good equipment and will spend a lot of time looking for the fish (i.e., you might spend a lot of time driving around). If he finds them and they aren't biting he won't waste time in that spot.  It's been pretty obvious both trips that other captains try to follow him at times to see what he's doing.  He's a bit more expensive but good odds you will come back with a haul.  I have another guide that is a bit cheaper but great with kids. More into teaching and the experience.  2 different types of trips but both good.