2024 Texas High School Football

BurntOrange&White

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I randomly saw that Lampasas RB Jett Walker transferred to Georgetown. That’s a big gain for them getting Walker. Lampasas will definitely be throwing the ball more now for sure which I am glad about since all of the WR’s and TE/H-Back and QB returned. WR Ty Johnson is going to have quite a sophomore season now with one less guy to share touches with. He’s a guy that were he at one of the big 5A or 6A schools would already be far higher up the recruiting lists for 2027. I believe I read he got his first official offer from Tech this spring on a visit.

Edited by UpperWestside

Not football related. But surprised @Helobious hasn’t bragged about the Weslaco Lady Panther softball girls and their come from behind win against Waco Midway that made ESPN. This was the first team girls state championship in the RGV history

Mean while my Calallen Lady Cats won their second consecutive softball championship last Saturday and the boys baseball goes for their first state title since 2011 tomorrow at the Disch.

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Not football related. But surprised @Helobious hasn’t bragged about the Weslaco Lady Panther softball girls and their come from behind win against Waco Midway that made ESPN. This was the first team girls state championship in the RGV history

Mean while my Calallen Lady Cats won their second consecutive softball championship last Saturday and the boys baseball goes for their first state title since 2011 tomorrow at the Disch.

I talked about it in the MLB thread. We had two girls of family friends playing on the team. It was a great game.

10 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

I saw the Grand Slam. What was the score at the time?

Score was 9-7 at the time. Weslaco entered the inning down 9-3, and their leadoff hitter got out. So they scored 8 runs down to their final two outs.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

I saw the Grand Slam. What was the score at the time?

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I talked about it in the MLB thread. We had two girls of family friends playing on the team. It was a great game.

Score was 9-7 at the time. Weslaco entered the inning down 9-3, and their leadoff hitter got out. So they scored 8 runs down to their final two outs.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 11:54 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

We've been talking about it in the softball thread too. It was 7-3 entering the 7th. Waco Midway hit 2 HRs in the top half to make it 9-3. Then the comeback. 

So proud of these girls. I went to high school with many of their parents, including the grand slam hitter Andrea Ortiz, and my dad is still on the school board in Weslaco. First girls team in RGV history and first team in school history to win state. And I'm pretty sure we don't even have any D1 recruits on the team.

Every Valley athlete has heard how we're not good enough or big/fast/strong enough to hang with the "real" athletes up north... These girls just proved to everyone in the valley that yeah, we can hang. They are already RGV legends and I'm willing to bet that the entire team will be inducted into the RGV Sports Hall of Fame in the next few years. It might be the crowning accomplishment in modern RGV sports history.

On 6/5/2024 at 12:04 PM, Post Oak said:

My kids go to Midway.  It was a heartbreaking defeat

They fought hard and I certainly thought the game was over. It's heartbreaking to lose in that fashion, but they definitely don't have anything to be ashamed of.

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Hook 'Em 2

Holy smokes, that dude was a legend way back when I was in HS.  They used to beat my HS in the early rounds of the playoffs EVERY FUCKING YEAR until we got them my senior year in OT, when they were down and we had a big talent advantage.

He was the king of Stop 6.  No telling how many lives he saved by getting kids away from drugs and gangs and giving them structure in their lives...  

• Hook 'Em 6

55 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Holy smokes, that dude was a legend way back when I was in HS.  They used to beat my HS in the early rounds of the playoffs EVERY FUCKING YEAR until we got them my senior year in OT, when they were down and we had a big talent advantage.

He was the king of Stop 6.  No telling how many lives he saved by getting kids away from drugs and gangs and giving them structure in their lives...  

Cross posting from the basketball forum.

I played against his Dunbar teams for 4 years in the mid-late '70s.  He was a great coach, but so was ours, and we always beat Dunbar until he introduced FWISD to the now widely-practiced strategy of recruiting kids in other schools' footprint.  He convinced a lot of talent that they would fit in better at Dunbar, even if it was a lesser school.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

“There were a handful of beacon of lights in Stop Six neighborhood, and he was the tippy top of the list,” former Dunbar player Sheldon Tate said Tuesday in a phone interview. Tate played at Dunbar from 1998 to 2001. He now is married with four children, recently earned a Ph.D. from TCU and works at George Mason University.

“There were countless young men who would have been lost to other circumstances had it not been for him. He found a way to channel that in a positive direction, and provide structure.”

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Helobious said:

Not sure how I feel about this. Thought it was fine having one overall champion in those sports.

Same.   The other thing that needs clarification will the Semis for Softball and Baseball be allowed to be played in a best of 3 format since there will no longer be final four format in Austin/Round Rock.   On the positive side it will allow both eventual teams that make the  baseball finals the luxury of starting their best arm.

8 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Same.   The other thing that needs clarification will the Semis for Softball and Baseball be allowed to be played in a best of 3 format since there will no longer be final four format in Austin/Round Rock.   On the positive side it will allow both eventual teams that make the  baseball finals the luxury of starting their best arm.

In some ways I dislike it but in others I think it may be the right choice....especially since the enrollment gaps, even at 6a level. But those gaps are so much larger at 4a and down I feel like.

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Round Rock was the state 7 on 7 champion in 2023 and went 4-7 in real football.  Hebron won it in 2021 and went 5-6 ...doesn't always translate to a successful fall.

You’re trying to tell me PSJA Memorial’s win over Lucas Lovejoy at the 7on7 tourney wouldn’t translate to an 11 man game?? Say it ain’t so.