2024 Texas High School Football

BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, cafe society said:

85 Yates was the most dominant team I've seen.

First champ to go 16-0. This was before half the district got into the playoffs. Week 1, you were facing a good team. 

The Lions recorded a then record 659 points (41.1 per game) allowed only 4.8 points per game and recorded eight shutouts. The 85' team was voted “Team of the Decade” by the Houston Chronicle and Dave Campbell's Texas Football. This was 5A, all the top and biggest schools. 

finished off the magnificent year in style with a 37-0 romp over renowned West Texas power Odessa Permian, putting an end to the Panthers' 33-game unbeaten streak. I read once the Yates coach took his foot off the gas pedal because you don’t run up the score on Mojo. 

No question the Lions were better coached than the '85 Oilers, who suffered through a 5-11 campaign that resulted in Hugh Campbellbeing fired and Jerry Glanville taking over in December.

The championship game drew a television rating of 7.0, with a 17 share in the Houston area. Only four college football games in the 2015 season had a higher television rating in Houston.

https://www.chron.com/local/history/sports/article/Best-ever-Yates-set-the-standard-with-its-state-9124663.php

• Hook 'Em 4

2023 Duncanville may have had the highest level of top end talent of any team in state history. And DeSoto handed them their asses otw to 16-0. Taking into account modern size and speed 2023 Desoto and 2015 Allen are the 2 best Texas teams ever

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That’s why I love TXHSFB. After officiating the game for a decade plus, based out of SA, I’ve done (officiated) games where schools should really play 6-man, to the those 6-A teams on Thursday night local TV.

The best environments, in my opinion, are those 4-5A one school towns. The environment and atmosphere can’t be replicated, until the bigger schools get into multiple rounds of the playoffs.

I’ve officiated regular season 6-A games in SA that each child participating, whether FB player, Band, cheer team/spirit squad, didn’t have enough butts in the bleachers to account for 50% of the kids on each side. Pretty sad in my opinion, as when my child was in the Boerne Band, not only to travel to road games, but I was “expected” to help unload the band trailer, sometimes around 1:00 AM.

Parents please support your kids!

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Full-blown arms race between Duncanville & Desoto. The Panthers add a 2027 receiver who has 31 FBS offers already. Was all-district as a freshman at Arlington Lamar last year.

They're both relatively lower income districts, right? Where's the booster backing coming from?

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

They're both relatively lower income districts, right? Where's the booster backing coming from?

They’re the two best teams in the state. I imagine it’s the high school equivalent of the Saban discount.

On 7/26/2024 at 4:04 PM, msucolt45 said:

That’s why I love TXHSFB. After officiating the game for a decade plus, based out of SA, I’ve done (officiated) games where schools should really play 6-man, to the those 6-A teams on Thursday night local TV.

The best environments, in my opinion, are those 4-5A one school towns. The environment and atmosphere can’t be replicated, until the bigger schools get into multiple rounds of the playoffs.

I’ve officiated regular season 6-A games in SA that each child participating, whether FB player, Band, cheer team/spirit squad, didn’t have enough butts in the bleachers to account for 50% of the kids on each side. Pretty sad in my opinion, as when my child was in the Boerne Band, not only to travel to road games, but I was “expected” to help unload the band trailer, sometimes around 1:00 AM.

Parents please support your kids!

Hook’em!!!

Ive witnessed 4a games where the road team might have 20-30 fans in the stands.   Thats 40+ on football team…. however many the band has, 10-15 cheerleaders, drill team, trainers, managers, coaches wives etc.    I get it, get off work get home, dfw so fight thru the metromess to get to the game….. but its varsity football….. most of you only got a couple more years of this then its gone…. forever!

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

They’re both on very successful runs, they play in the state title games almost every year, and they’ve got the reputation of putting kids into college & the NFL. It’s more kids just wanting to play for them, I don’t think they’re paying anyone. And they both have middle class and nice areas in their boundaries, so it’s easy to get people to move there. 

• Hook 'Em 3

First day of workouts for anyone that didn’t have spring ball. I don’t get the point of spring practice in high school. My school was mostly poor students, we didn’t do it and they still don’t today because so many players had to work after school. But more importantly than that in high school a lot of players & coaches move in the summer anyway. I’d rather have the extra week in august.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

28 minutes ago, Helobious said:

First day of workouts for anyone that didn’t have spring ball. I don’t get the point of spring practice in high school. My school was mostly poor students, we didn’t do it and they still don’t today because so many players had to work after school. But more importantly than that in high school a lot of players & coaches move in the summer anyway. I’d rather have the extra week in august.

I did spring ball in HS (2000-2004) and coached the “extra” week these past years. I believe it fully depends on your team needs. Brownsville Vets did spring ball this year but the rest of Browntown did the 7v7/Lineman challenge during the spring. 

Regardless I’m ready for the HS season to begin. UIL is fucking some kids over in the RGV who have transferred but regardless Friday Night Lights are back!!! 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, ChingoHorns said:

I did spring ball in HS (2000-2004) and coached the “extra” week these past years. I believe it fully depends on your team needs. Brownsville Vets did spring ball this year but the rest of Browntown did the 7v7/Lineman challenge during the spring. 

Regardless I’m ready for the HS season to begin. UIL is fucking some kids over in the RGV who have transferred but regardless Friday Night Lights are back!!! 

Damn I hadn’t heard about that. I think the biggest names were Lopez going from Vela to PSJA, and that LaFevre kid going from Donna to Vela. I heard that QB Ruiz left edinburg North but I’m not sure where he ended up. 

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Damn I hadn’t heard about that. I think the biggest names were Lopez going from Vela to PSJA, and that LaFevre kid going from Donna to Vela. I heard that QB Ruiz left edinburg North but I’m not sure where he ended up. 

Ruiz landed at San Benito. They looked rough during the spring 7v7 league but you can never count them out. 
The remaining transfers have appeals coming soon from what I’ve heard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Both my sons played at 6A schools that both did spring ball and it was very beneficial. They are both run about as similar to a college program as a high school can and that's just another aspect of it. Only issue really was May tends to be stormy so lightning messed up some after school practices. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/26/2024 at 2:46 PM, cmontexas said:

2023 Duncanville may have had the highest level of top end talent of any team in state history. And DeSoto handed them their asses otw to 16-0. Taking into account modern size and speed 2023 Desoto and 2015 Allen are the 2 best Texas teams ever

If the teams face-off straight up across generations, this is the correct answer. 

The 1983 Daingerfield Tigers are the most dominant team to lace up cleats. They averaged 39 PPG in 1983 and had three 1000 yard rushers.  They allowed 8 points all year and two of those were a safety. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

My sophomore spring was when Coach Tony V got hired in Weslaco. In our situation, Spring ball was extremely important.  We were transitioning from an attempted shotgun,  spread, no huddle, signal in the plays offense to Coach Tony's Slot T. Talk about two different ends of the spectrum. Anyway, we absolutely needed Spring ball that year to just learn the basics and terminology of the new offense. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

The Colorado version of the UIL is rolling out girls' flag football this fall:

TDP-L-CHSAAAO2_9049xxx.jpg?w=1091

7-on-7 on a 60yX40y field...

How long before Cherry Creek recruits girls and starts to dominate that sport too?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

The Colorado version of the UIL is rolling out girls' flag football this fall:

TDP-L-CHSAAAO2_9049xxx.jpg?w=1091

7-on-7 on a 60yX40y field...

The NFL is really pushing Women's flag football as a sustainable sport.  There are world championships (When México upset USA in 2022, the QB for Mexico signed a deal with Under Armor and starred in a Super Bowl commercial), and it's coming to the 2028 Olympics

• Drool 1

8 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

The NFL is really pushing Women's flag football as a sustainable sport.  There are world championships (When México upset USA in 2022, the QB for Mexico signed a deal with Under Armor and starred in a Super Bowl commercial), and it's coming to the 2028 Olympics

Makes sense. With boys youth participation dropping so much they need to find new growth avenues to keep it feeling like America's sport.

Posted (edited)

I probably missed it, but for those of you who are avid watchers of HS football, what do y'all think of Grayson Rigdon moving up? I had never heard of him until he showed up on my Google sports feed. He's apparently a 6 man football legend who played close to where my wife and I live, but I've never even seen a 6 man game before. 

Do any of you think him moving up will have any impact, or does he just fade away and we never hear of him again? I'm genuinely curious as to what all of you think about this kid. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I probably missed it, but for those of you who are avid watchers of HS football, what do y'all think of Grayson Rigdon moving up? I had never heard of him until he showed up on my Google sports feed. He's apparently a 6 man football legend who played close to where my wife and I live, but I've never even seen a 6 man game before. 

Do any of you think him moving up will have any impact, or does he just fade away and we never hear of him again? I'm genuinely curious as to what all of you think about this kid. 

He'll be good but won't dominate.  See McIvor's kid a few years back.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

He'll be good but won't dominate.  See McIvor's kid a few years back.

Ah, I remember some of y'all talking about McIvor's kid. Forgot about him. That's kinda where I'm leaning, too. I'm actually pretty impressed he has a football scholarship to even AF after just playing 6 man. I think there was a kid that ou recruited who only played 6 man. I want to say he was a RB, and he sucked. It was back in the early 2000s

On 8/5/2024 at 8:48 AM, Helobious said:

Spring practice was badass as a player.  3 weeks of practice culminating with a "Spring Game,"  but the tone of practice was MUCH different, the coaches weren't stressed out about getting a win each Friday, and it was unending experimentation and tryouts for roster spots.

and Fall practice was a week shorter.  We loved it.  From a player's perspective, it was great.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I hope the kid lights it up. Would be a cool story to have, what, 4 championship rings for 3 schools? That would be a pretty incredible feat. Not to mention I would also like to see him grab some more offers, maybe from Okie Lite or Houston. 

I’ve never seen him play but his track times aren’t that impressive. He’ll be an ok player in 3A and would probably be coming off the bench at most 6A schools. 6-man is just such a different game. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2024 at 8:45 PM, texifornia said:

Both Duncanville and Desoto have a lot of low income students, but neither should be considered low income school districts. Both are single school towns with Athletic histories going back decades and the boosters in town don't get split up between 6 schools like Mansfield and other burbs.

There are also some nice neighborhoods with expensive houses zoned to those districts

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Paging @Helobious

My beloved Chaps are opening at home vs San Benito. Can you please provide me any info about what to expect, players to watch for, etc?

Thnx in advance.  

San Benito's schedule is WILD. 32-6A only has 5 teams, so their schedule has 6 non district games

PSJA North

At Austin Westlake

Laredo United (favorite to win their district) 

UANL (a University in Nuevo Leon, Mexico)

At Weslaco (favorite to win their district and San Benito's only loss last year) 

Carthage (neutral site)

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Paging @Helobious

My beloved Chaps are opening at home vs San Benito. Can you please provide me any info about what to expect, players to watch for, etc?

Thnx in advance.  

Experienced, smart players on defense and a good athlete at QB that transferred in. Not as good of a team as they’ve had recently, and of course the talent and size deficit is too much. No idea what Westlake is like this year. I’d guess 42-7 type of game. 

8 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

San Benito's schedule is WILD. 32-6A only has 5 teams, so their schedule has 6 non district games

PSJA North

At Austin Westlake

At Weslaco (favorite to win their district and San Benito's only loss last year) 

Carthage (neutral site)

It’s UANL’s preparatoria squad though, so it’s high school kids. Should be an easy W. Interested to see what they do against Carthage, a 4A school with really good athletes. Harlingen has a similar game vs Cuero.

We open up vs you guys this year, should be an interesting one. We have this QB that tore up the 8th grade district like no one has ever seen last year, he’s 6’1 already with dreads and looks the part of a college prospect. First freshman I can ever recall that made varsity to start the season. Don’t know if he’ll start at QB or not but he’ll definitely play, anxious to see if the hype is real.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

PSJA North

At Austin Westlake

Carthage (neutral site)

When's the last time a 6A team played a 4A team?

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

No idea what Westlake is like this year.

Westlake starts and ends with their offensive and defensive lines, which will be good, but not the best ever. We have a good QB who will play at the next level. We lost our great little running back, who went to Army. We should get to the state quarterfinals, and with luck, the semifinals. We can't get past North Shore these days.   

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Experienced, smart players on defense and a good athlete at QB that transferred in. Not as good of a team as they’ve had recently, and of course the talent and size deficit is too much. No idea what Westlake is like this year. I’d guess 42-7 type of game. 

It’s UANL’s preparatoria squad though, so it’s high school kids. Should be an easy W. Interested to see what they do against Carthage, a 4A school with really good athletes. Harlingen has a similar game vs Cuero.

We open up vs you guys this year, should be an interesting one. We have this QB that tore up the 8th grade district like no one has ever seen last year, he’s 6’1 already with dreads and looks the part of a college prospect. First freshman I can ever recall that made varsity to start the season. Don’t know if he’ll start at QB or not but he’ll definitely play, anxious to see if the hype is real.

Weslaco/Harlingen is always a good time

If he starts, first game, think they'll open up the passing game or ease the freshman into it? 

Weslaco will be interesting. Lots of starters back on defense, but losing some major offensive firepower, including little Eli. We'll have to see how the offense looks. My nephew will be a starting WR this year!

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/7/2024 at 9:23 PM, Iceman said:

Spring practice was badass as a player.  3 weeks of practice culminating with a "Spring Game,"  but the tone of practice was MUCH different, the coaches weren't stressed out about getting a win each Friday, and it was unending experimentation and tryouts for roster spots.

and Fall practice was a week shorter.  We loved it.  From a player's perspective, it was great.

Didn’t have to focus on conditioning and actual football stuff at the same time.    Or at the least the conditioning you have to go through in August before full pads  to get you back in shape.   You would still do some lifting and running though.  

I’m glad the UIL did the right thing a few years ago and allowed Coaches to organize and operate summer workouts.  Now because school start dates are creeping up to firdt full week in  August they need to start Two a Days on the last Monday of July.   Some are not even getting a full week of two a days in and coaches have to divide their time between getting their classrooms ready and football.   Used to be those who taught would get in at least two or more weeks before classroom prep and in services began. 

On 8/10/2024 at 9:50 AM, Helobious said:

Freshman QB is no where near ready to suit up on a Friday night. He’s super raw at the QB position. He’s a good athlete though with elite genes from his father. 
I think next year he’ll be ready. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChingoHorns said:

Freshman QB is no where near ready to suit up on a Friday night. He’s super raw at the QB position. He’s a good athlete though with elite genes from his father. 
I think next year he’ll be ready. 

He won’t start but he’ll have packages and what not. Given how unimpressive our other QBs are I don’t see anything wrong with getting him out there this year and letting him grow.

On 8/5/2024 at 11:57 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

If the teams face-off straight up across generations, this is the correct answer. 

The 1983 Daingerfield Tigers are the most dominant team to lace up cleats. They averaged 39 PPG in 1983 and had three 1000 yard rushers.  They allowed 8 points all year and two of those were a safety. 

I think Big Sandy  in 1975 was more dominant. They allowed 15 points (two on a safety), two TDs (one was a recovered fumble) and averaged 60 points per game, which would have been 90 had David Overstreet played more. He and the Big Sandy starters played no more than 1 1/2 quarters in any regular-season game that season. Sometimes Overstreet was out by the end of the first quarter. They scored 824 points, a national record for 19 years. They beat Carlisle 91-0 and Overstreet played one quarter.  

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Hook 'Em 1