2024 Texas High School Football

BurntOrange&White

Not Texas, but historic Crenshaw High in Los Angeles currently only has 15 players in their football program after years of falling enrollment. They may have to cancel their season. Pretty wild for a school that’s put 20+ players in the NFL and has won multiple titles even just since 2000. 

https://ktla.com/sports/a-historic-los-angeles-high-school-football-program-may-have-to-sit-the-upcoming-season-out/amp/

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Not Texas, but historic Crenshaw High in Los Angeles currently only has 15 players in their football program after years of falling enrollment. They may have to cancel their season. Pretty wild for a school that’s put 20+ players in the NFL and has won multiple titles even just since 2000. 

https://ktla.com/sports/a-historic-los-angeles-high-school-football-program-may-have-to-sit-the-upcoming-season-out/amp/

Wow, that's a serious program to fall so far.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2024 at 8:17 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Lampasas is going to split with Stephenville and Brownwood in the regular season and won’t lose again until the state semi-finals. Even with Jett Walker transferring out they returned every other skill position player and now will have to throw the football more like they did in 2019. That is great considering the guys they have. Ty Johnson will wind up appearing in the recruiting rankings for 2027 by the end of the season at WR. He made a positive impression at OU’s summer camp and holds an offer from March from Tech. I am banking on a big year from the offense and just enough defense to be respectable on that side of the ball.

I also like that a guy I remember watching at Burnet during the two state finals appearances for them is the assistant head coach in Badger Country. Ty Kuhn (fantastic name) was an all-state linebacker on those teams two decades ago and I believe he has a son who plays now for the Badgers. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Not Texas but Bishop Gorman is getting served up some home cooking by these Florida refs at St Thomas Aquinas.  They literally just gave STA a do-over on an "inadvertent" whistle.  They called a bullshit blindside block penalty on what would have been a dagger pick 6 for Gorman. TD would have been 12 point lead, instead it's 8. Going down to the wire now.

Both teams are loaded with talent 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

On 8/21/2024 at 12:06 PM, UpperWestside said:

Lampasas is going to split with Stephenville and Brownwood in the regular season and won’t lose again until the state semi-finals.

Wimberley is going to beat the shit out of them again.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Wimberley is going to beat the shit out of them again.

They may win, but it will be close. Last year was close for a half until Lampasas got too cute with the trick plays. The best player on the field will play for the Badgers and Jerome is coming off of putting up 3000 yards of total offense at QB. Probably going to have to score quite a bit like the 2019 team though to make a run to the semis.

10 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

They may win, but it will be close. Last year was close for a half until Lampasas got too cute with the trick plays. The best player on the field will play for the Badgers and Jerome is coming off of putting up 3000 yards of total offense at QB. Probably going to have to score quite a bit like the 2019 team though to make a run to the semis.

91g59k.jpg

14 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Wimberley's QB is 29-2 as a starter and was named DCTF's 4A Player of the Year, so unless he quickly transfers, the best player on the field will not play for the Badgers.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Wimberley's QB is 29-2 as a starter and was named DCTF's 4A Player of the Year, so unless he quickly transfers, the best player on the field will not play for the Badgers.

Your QB, while really good, will not be the best player on the field. He is the product of an easy region. Same as Lampasas has this year outside of their highly competitive district. 

22 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Your QB, while really good, will not be the best player on the field. He is the product of an easy region. Same as Lampasas has this year outside of their highly competitive district. 

He had 6 TD's and 400 yards of offense against Lampasas last season, plus 5 TDs and 345 yards against Lampasas as a sophomore.   

image.png.7cf5f913a99a8cc3dabb1a67070a7e8e.png

image.thumb.png.f06595df29da9dfe24c47c3ad4ffed4b.png

Come on...

Edited by Beau Vine

Just now, Beau Vine said:

He had 6 TD's and 400 yards of offense against Lampasas last season, plus 5 TDs and 345 yards against Lampasas as a sophomore.   

Come on....

I don’t know what you are looking for me to say. Lampasas was in that region and their defense was, to be kind, really really bad. They have not fielded an elite defense since 1994. Putting up stats on Lampasas and region IV teams are cool, but still easier to accomplish. 

Just now, UpperWestside said:

I don’t know what you are looking for me to say. Lampasas was in that region and their defense was, to be kind, really really bad. They have not fielded an elite defense since 1994. Putting up stats on Lampasas and region IV teams are cool, but still easier to accomplish. 

Now you're just being stupid and wasting my time -- he had 450+ yards and 5 TD's in the state semis against Bellville last season.  He also had a big game against Cuero in the semis as a soph.  

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Now you're just being stupid and wasting my time -- he had 450+ yards and 5 TD's in the state semis against Bellville last season.  He also had a big game against Cuero in the semis as a soph.  

Good job there resorting to insults. I keep it above board in that respect. Your opinion is just that, an opinion. My opinion is also, and this might be shocking, also an opinion. Nothing more and nothing less. If differing opinions are beneath someone as important as you are that cannot afford to waste your time then just please do not respond anymore.

Player A: 62% on 155-250 for 2330 passing yards and 31 TD. QBr 129. 107 carries for 660 yards and 9 TD

Player B: 72% on 191-266 passing for 2992 and 41 TD. QBR 141. 209 carries for 1585 yards and 32 TD’s.

I know which one I want. I know which one everyone would want.

3 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Player A: 62% on 155-250 for 2330 passing yards and 31 TD. QBr 129. 107 carries for 660 yards and 9 TD

Player B: 72% on 191-266 passing for 2992 and 41 TD. QBR 141. 209 carries for 1585 yards and 32 TD’s.

I know which one I want. I know which one everyone would want.

I did not say it was the QB who would be the best player.  Having the best player doesn’t mean a great deal. This is especially so when it’s someone that doesn’t have the ball in their hands every play. 

Two years ago I officiated a game between Fredericksburg and Wimberley, on a Saturday. I was called at about 12:30AM, while getting gas trying to get home, after officiating a game that Friday night, with my crew. My “White Hat” asks if I’m free tomorrow, which I say I’m supposed to be a O’Conner for a A&B game at 8:30. So he says don’t worry about that as something just hit the wires and we need to officiate a Varsity game in the AM (10:00 KO)! I’m like WTF!

Supposedly the home team (Wimberley) didn’t actually confirm a crew for that game vs F-Burg, between SA or Austin chapters and NO crew was assigned. Bands, fans, family, and players were there for the game, but alas no officiating crew!

My crew met at the HEB off I-35 in NB to ride together at 6:30, as my crew got assigned that Sat AM assignment, which was a great/close matchup. F-burg had the ball during the waning moments, but didn’t pull it out.

Walking off the field the F-burg fans made it seem as if we’d cheated them and were abhorrent, as we made our way to the field house. It was really eye opening/embarrassing for them. Just saying, as it’s a sign of the dismal tide and current generation we live in.

That was my last season as a Varsity Umpire. I’ve got TV games to watch on Saturday.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, msucolt45 said:

Two years ago I officiated a game between Fredericksburg and Wimberley, on a Saturday. I was called at about 12:30AM, while getting gas trying to get home, after officiating a game that Friday night, with my crew. My “White Hat” asks if I’m free tomorrow, which I say I’m supposed to be a O’Conner for a A&B game at 8:30. So he says don’t worry about that as something just hit the wires and we need to officiate a Varsity game in the AM (10:00 KO)! I’m like WTF!

Supposedly the home team (Wimberley) didn’t actually confirm a crew for that game vs F-Burg, between SA or Austin chapters and NO crew was assigned. Bands, fans, family, and players were there for the game, but alas no officiating crew!

My crew met at the HEB off I-35 in NB to ride together at 6:30, as my crew got assigned that Sat AM assignment, which was a great/close matchup. F-burg had the ball during the waning moments, but didn’t pull it out.

Walking off the field the F-burg fans made it seem as if we’d cheated them and were abhorrent, as we made our way to the field house. It was really eye opening/embarrassing for them. Just saying, as it’s a sign of the dismal tide and current generation we live in.

That was my last season as a Varsity Umpire. I’ve got TV games to watch on Saturday.

Hook’em!!!

Ref shortages a real.    I was at our scrimmage last Friday and afterwards I saw the Ref crew up close and I swear not one of them looked over 30.   It was a 4A vs 5A scrimmage too and it used to be not too long ago, the young bucks were sent to officiate the 3A’s and down.  There were a few calls that were missed and shouldn’t have been called and I didn’t see any of the coaches give them lip.   I did see an older gentlemen out there in at time pulling a few aside after they through a flag and then afterwards talking to them as a group.   

It’s a shame a bunch of idiot fans drove you away from the fun.   The consequences are going to rear it’s head if young buck crew like this one calls game at the higher levels where the game can be faster and a blown call causes a team to not advance in the playoffs.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Austin High kicks off season vs New Braunfels Canyons @ House Park Friday. 

Come to game, leave at halftime to go to Tavern and then come back for 2H. 

Coolest HS stadium in ATX, with views of downtown and just different vibe then some of the mega stadiums around Texas 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

It’s time: Helobious Poll

1. PSJA N - 2 years worth of general arrogance, unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, and a couple of near-brawls finally caught up to them last postseason. Lost that senior core that put them on the map, but experienced depth and the helping of humble pie should serve them well this year. 

2. PSJA - Best most explosive offensive attack in the valley should be fun to watch. Vela transfer Myles Lopez has a good running back and 2 great receivers at his disposal. 

3. Vela - Can they sustain success without Coach Campbell?

4. San Benito - Will have a good defense as usual, and transfer QB Tyler Ruiz may be the missing piece that gets the offense going. 

5. Los Fresnos - RGVsports 5-10 preseason rankings are just garbage. LF will be good.

“Helo, donde está Brownsville Vets?” They lost their 2-way superman Gilbert Trillo to graduation, and even with a good core returning I don’t see it with their move up to 6A. They went 0-2 vs RGV 6A teams last year. Their postseason run was just a classic case of a team just getting hot at the right time 

Chingon Trophy Watchlist 

Hassan Woolery (FR) - QB, Harlingen: @956 Worldwide Can you recall the last freshman to ever make the varsity team to start the season for us? In my life I’ve never heard of a player here get as much hype as this kid. A multi-sport star that’s already a legit 6’1, his 8th grade highlights were a joke. Easily just running circles around defenses and chucking up 40 yard bombs like nothing. But this isn’t 8th grade anymore, this is district 32-6A football. Is he the real deal?

Robert Piñeda (JR) - QB, Los Fresnos: Their coach has said he’s “opening up the playbook” for him this year. Eager to see what exactly happens when Los Fresnos HS opens up their playbook. 

Myles Lopez (SR) - QB, PSJA: Transfer portaled from Vela in the spring. If I’m not mistaken he’s the only valley player besides that UTEP committed o-lineman from Brownsville St. Joe’s with an FBS offer right now (Central Michigan for some reason). 

Geoff Lefevre (SR) - QB, Edinburg Vela: Transfer from Donna. His older brother was a beast of a QB at Weslaco East a few years ago. This kid is also huge with a strong arm. 

Ethan Guerra (JR) - RB, PSJA North: Fabian García reincarnate 

• Hook 'Em 5

Our Chaps season kicks off tonight against a highly-ranked team I know nothing about, the Prosper Eagles. Go Chaps. Does anyone know anything about them? Looks like they come from a recent growth suburb north of Dallas and it's safe to assume they are a strong, well-funded program. Any background would be appreciated. Thnx. 

19 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Our Chaps season kicks off tonight against a highly-ranked team I know nothing about, the Prosper Eagles. Go Chaps. Does anyone know anything about them? Looks like they come from a recent growth suburb north of Dallas and it's safe to assume they are a strong, well-funded program. Any background would be appreciated. Thnx. 

They seem to have 2 or 3 highly touted OL prospects every year (Jake Majors is on UT now, Connor Carty is an A&M commit this year).

• Hook 'Em 1

Can’t forget Helo’s Homies either

Armando Lujan (SR) - QB, Sunray: Mexi-Manziel has put up jaw-dropping stats the past 3 years as a starter. Last year joined Kyler Murray and the immortal Tyrik Rollison as the only players in TX HS football history to throw for 4500 yards and rush for 1000 in the same season. 

Lorenzo Aguirre (SO) - QB, Dickinson: I’m dubbing him Andres Ware. Called up to varsity to be the starter midway through last year and accounted for 9 TDs, but has really had some impressive showings at big time QB camps over the summer.

Caleb Cruz (SO) - CB/WR, Odessa Permian: Started every single game on varsity last year at cornerback for Mojo as a freshman. Size will hold him back but he holds an FBS offer already (UTEP).

Juan-Milleon Aguilar (SR)- S, Dallas Kimball: First team all-state, first team all-name. Passes the Mishak test, led the state in interceptions last year, and has several G5 offers. Gut feeling is you’ll be looking at an NFL roster in 5 years and see his name on there. Texas State is the favorite to land him currently.

Noriel Dominguez (JR) - LB, FB Marshall: 16 FBS offers kind of speaks for itself. No sunshine kind of guy judging from photos. 

Honorable mentions:

Sael Reyes (SR) - S, Desoto: SMU commit/A&M lean

Leo Almanza (SR) - ATH, Byron Nelson: Baylor commit/K-State lean

Gustavo Cordova (SR) - DT/Fucktard, Lake Travis: USC commit

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

They seem to have 2 or 3 highly touted OL prospects every year (Jake Majors is on UT now, Connor Carty is an A&M commit this year).

Yes, I read they beat Allen last season to snap a 73-game district winning streak. They look very strong. It will be a tough game and Westlake could very well lose. Thanks!

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I know you are all looking forward to tonight's heated Anderson-McCallum rivalry played in the legendary and iconic Taco Shack Bowl.

Go Trojans!  McCallum sux!

I’ll be rooting for McCallum. My son’s McNeil Mavs scrimmaged Anderson last week and those whiteys were using the n-word liberally. I award the Trojans 1 star.

I guess this thread is prob the best thread to put this.

https://www.npr.org/2024/08/28/nx-s1-5091883/middle-high-school-football-players-deaths-august

At least 7 middle and high school football players have died in August

Cohen Craddock's family and loved ones are mourning the loss of the friendly eighth-grader who loved being on the football team at Madison Middle School in West Virginia, days after Cohen suffered a head injury during practice.  Craddock says his son died on Saturday, after experiencing brain bleeding and swelling.

Cohen, 13, was playing defense during practice drills this past Friday when he took a bad hit involving another player and fell. The Coal Valley News reports that Cohen was wearing a helmet at the time — but his father says he wants players to have more protection.

In addition to Cohen and Caden, at least five other young football players have died this month:

Aug. 5: At Hopewell High School in central Virginia, 10th grader Javion Taylor, 15, collapsed during a drill session with the junior varsity team and died in an afternoon practice. Coaches performed CPR and called 911, but Taylor died at a nearby hospital. The high temperature that day was around 90 degrees.

Aug. 13: Semaj Wilkins, 14, died after having a medical emergency during a practice at New Brockton High School, near Enterprise, Ala. He collapsed during an afternoon practice on a day with a reported high of 96 degrees.

Aug. 13: Palatka High School football player Robert James Gillon III, 15, died at his home in Palatka, Fla., the morning after a practice. Local TV station News 4 Jax reports that police believe he apparently died of natural causes but that they also "earned that Gillon complained of chest pains on Monday, Aug. 12, before going to football practice. He still went to practice and returned home."

Aug. 14: Junior Leslie Noble, a 16-year-old lineman at Franklin High School near Baltimore, Md., collapsed on the field during practice and was later pronounced dead. A police dispatcher noted that the player had heatstroke.

Aug. 14: During a practice at Shawnee Mission Northwest High School in Kansas, near Kansas City, Mo., sophomore Ovet Gomez-Regalado, 15, collapsed. He was taken to a hospital in critical condition and later died.

The National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research reported 16 football-related deaths in all of last year, nine of them in middle and high school programs. Out of the 16 deaths, three were directly related to football participation, while 10 were indirectly related, according to NCCSIR.

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I guess this thread is prob the best thread to put this.

https://www.npr.org/2024/08/28/nx-s1-5091883/middle-high-school-football-players-deaths-august

At least 7 middle and high school football players have died in August

Cohen Craddock's family and loved ones are mourning the loss of the friendly eighth-grader who loved being on the football team at Madison Middle School in West Virginia, days after Cohen suffered a head injury during practice.  Craddock says his son died on Saturday, after experiencing brain bleeding and swelling.

Cohen, 13, was playing defense during practice drills this past Friday when he took a bad hit involving another player and fell. The Coal Valley News reports that Cohen was wearing a helmet at the time — but his father says he wants players to have more protection.

In addition to Cohen and Caden, at least five other young football players have died this month:

Aug. 5: At Hopewell High School in central Virginia, 10th grader Javion Taylor, 15, collapsed during a drill session with the junior varsity team and died in an afternoon practice. Coaches performed CPR and called 911, but Taylor died at a nearby hospital. The high temperature that day was around 90 degrees.

Aug. 13: Semaj Wilkins, 14, died after having a medical emergency during a practice at New Brockton High School, near Enterprise, Ala. He collapsed during an afternoon practice on a day with a reported high of 96 degrees.

Aug. 13: Palatka High School football player Robert James Gillon III, 15, died at his home in Palatka, Fla., the morning after a practice. Local TV station News 4 Jax reports that police believe he apparently died of natural causes but that they also "earned that Gillon complained of chest pains on Monday, Aug. 12, before going to football practice. He still went to practice and returned home."

Aug. 14: Junior Leslie Noble, a 16-year-old lineman at Franklin High School near Baltimore, Md., collapsed on the field during practice and was later pronounced dead. A police dispatcher noted that the player had heatstroke.

Aug. 14: During a practice at Shawnee Mission Northwest High School in Kansas, near Kansas City, Mo., sophomore Ovet Gomez-Regalado, 15, collapsed. He was taken to a hospital in critical condition and later died.

The National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research reported 16 football-related deaths in all of last year, nine of them in middle and high school programs. Out of the 16 deaths, three were directly related to football participation, while 10 were indirectly related, according to NCCSIR.

Don't get me wrong, kids dying is very sad and we should try very hard to not have that happen,

But 16 deaths, with only three directly related to participation, is incredibly low for any contact activity across the sheer numbers of kids who play football. Driving to school is probably MUCH more dangerous.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Historically, they have been very good on the defensive side of the ball and their offensive line is usually stout. All five of their offensive lineman this year already have major D1 offers, if I’m not mistaken. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Dave Cambell has Westlake at 4 and Prosper at 15

Maxpreps has Prosper at 15 and Westlake at 25

Guess we get to see which is more accurate.

JV games aren't the greatest predictor but they are a data point. The Westlake sophomore team beat their sophomore team 14-0 last night. Should have been 24-0 but for a missed FG from the 1 yard line and a fumble into the end zone. I don't think Prosper had a first down that wasn't from a penalty or crossed midfield till about 2 minutes left in the game.

Can't find any results for any of the freshman teams or the other JV team.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I’ll be rooting for McCallum. My son’s McNeil Mavs scrimmaged Anderson last week and those whiteys were using the n-word liberally. I award the Trojans 1 star.

We were at a game last year in a Dallas suburb and 5 high school kids who weren't black, came and sat down in front of us.  Within the first 10 minutes, I bet we heard 50 N-bombs.  I kept thinking, do they have the slightest clue how fucking idiotic they sound.   Just dumbshits.  Luckily they didn't stay long.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Yes, I read they beat Allen last season to snap a 73-game district winning streak. They look very strong. It will be a tough game and Westlake could very well lose. Thanks!

Looks like all five of their oline are college prospects.  Their RB Leo Anguiano is a big deal too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Most teams start tonight. As a FB official for roughly a decade, I wish all teams the best of luck during the 2024 season. All the band members, spirit squad, cheer leaders, players, coaches, and coach’s wives, make each game special.

Parents please support your kids home and away. Time flies by so fast. Both of mine are in their 20s and out of the house.

Enjoy it while you can, as there’s nothing better than a football Friday night in Texas!

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Freshman Hassan Woolery of Harlingen takes the snap and runs 61 yards to the house on his first ever high school play. Sark if you’re reading this offer the kid now.

Cards up on Weslaco 14-3 in the 2nd quarter. 

Looked like it might be on the way to a blowout early, but now it's a fight at 28-28

• Hook 'Em 1