2024 Texas High School Football

BurntOrange&White

On 8/29/2024 at 9:52 AM, Helobious said:

Juan-Milleon Aguilar (SR)- S, Dallas Kimball: First team all-state, first team all-name. Passes the Mishak test, led the state in interceptions last year, and has several G5 offers. Gut feeling is you’ll be looking at an NFL roster in 5 years and see his name on there. Texas State is the favorite to land him currently.

Did Mishak ever pass a test?

On 8/18/2024 at 8:14 AM, Helobious said:

Not Texas, but historic Crenshaw High in Los Angeles currently only has 15 players in their football program after years of falling enrollment. They may have to cancel their season. Pretty wild for a school that’s put 20+ players in the NFL and has won multiple titles even just since 2000. 

https://ktla.com/sports/a-historic-los-angeles-high-school-football-program-may-have-to-sit-the-upcoming-season-out/amp/

They lost 52-0 to Gardena last night 

Kilgore 20 Carthage 15

LT 51  Arl Martin 12

PSJAN 42 SB 22

Sherman 31 Denison 13  Denison had won 11 in a row over the Bearcats; this was the 126th "Battle of the Ax." 

St John Bosco (CA) 64 El Paso Eastwood 14, 3rd  WHY???

Guyer 35 Aledo 30

Franklin 46 China Spring 30

Calallen 42 G-P 40

Stephenville 38 Midlo Heritage 3

Hallettsville 22 Shiner 15

Brock 27 Decatur 7

WOS 30 Newton 8

Celina 49 Bellville 30:

Columbus 65 Cuero 24

Wall 28 Mason 6

North Shore 38 SOC 0

Allen 61 Midland Leegacy 0

Summer Creek 42 Shadow Creek 0

Stamford 50 Albany 6

Permian 13 Plano 10 

Vandy 31 Dripping 14

Lone Star 24 Argyle 17

Lub Cooper 46 Lovejoy 43

Miller 41 CC Vets 7

Steele 49 Liberty Hill 26

I drove up the road to see some CO 8-Man: Clear Creek Goldpanners 48 South Park Burros 6

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Most teams start tonight. As a FB official for roughly a decade, I wish all teams the best of luck during the 2024 season. All the band members, spirit squad, cheer leaders, players, coaches, and coach’s wives, make each game special.

Parents please support your kids home and away. Time flies by so fast. Both of mine are in their 20s and out of the house.

Enjoy it while you can, as there’s nothing better than a football Friday night in Texas!

Hook’em!!!

Here here my son is 19 and moved to Dallas. I miss Friday night lights 

7 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Isn't South Oak Cliff a really solid program now? Didn't they just win state 2-3 years ago?

Did SOC fall off, or did they just run into a buzz saw that is North Shore? 

Yep SOC very solid. Went to state 3x in the last 3 years and came very close last year to getting the 3 peat. But they are 5A Division 2 and North Shore is 6A Division 1. North Shore has seemingly been in every 6A state championship since 2018. Goes to show you the gap that is there between upper 6A and 5A. 

• Like 1

The Charlie Reeve era got started with a good one at Calallen with a win over our rival GP 42-40.  And if you all thought we’d abandon the run you were very wrong.    430 of the 460 total offense yards were on the ground.   More importantly the excitement is back. Last year sucked from the get go

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

@Helobious, I cannot remember a freshman starting for the Cardinals and I’ve watched closely since the early 1990s.  I don’t even think Mo Hunter, who eventually won state offensive MVP in 1994 started as a fish.  Kind of a culture thing, and considering there is a direct line from Longhoefer to Gomez that’s a big deal. Clearly Woolery showed up on Friday. 

Always fun when the Valley “Old High” teams play and Weslaco should be pretty good.  Not great that they scored 28 as this team needs to win on defense.

San Benito may be the class of the district and may start 0-3 against PSJAN, Westlake, and Laredo United. 0-2 is basically a given after losing to PSJAN and United beat SA Warren. I don’t mind, it’s better for us if they get in their heads that they are a beatable team. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep SOC very solid. Went to state 3x in the last 3 years and came very close last year to getting the 3 peat. But they are 5A Division 2 and North Shore is 6A Division 1. North Shore has seemingly been in every 6A state championship since 2018. Goes to show you the gap that is there between upper 6A and 5A. 

Didn’t SOC start out pretty slow on their way to state last year? 

Yep. I believe they loaded up their non district schedule last year too. Duncanville, Lancaster and Desoto. Started off 1-2. But then they cruised through district and into state. Last night wasn't so much about how bad they are but just the separation of 5A to 6A at that level.

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

SOC enrollment - 1,204.  North shore enrollment - 4,528.   And these numbers are a few years old.   Imagine if you had four SOC’s all with their normal talent level and made an all star team from them.   That would be a better compare to NS or other larger schools.

As comparison, Allen has about 7,000 students 9-12.   It shows lower if you searched but they claim high school as only 10-12.

Just now, ABSR said:

SOC enrollment - 1,204.  North shore enrollment - 4,528.   And these numbers are a few years old.   Imagine if you had four SOC’s all with their normal talent level and made an all star team from them.   That would be a better compare to NS or other larger schools.

As comparison, Allen has about 7,000 students 9-12.   It shows lower if you searched but they claim high school as only 10-12.

You mean if SOC wasn’t recruiting?

12 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Aledo will lose to Ryan if they don’t find better QB play. Got spoiled by 2 D1 commits the last three years and now this.

Doesn’t Aledo recruit a QB out of California or something every year?

39 minutes ago, ABSR said:

This, the gap in size has gotten to be absurd even within the 6a ranks. I have long thought that 5a (old 4a) was the ideal size for a school.  I think the UIL needs set an attendance cap at around 4k. If you’re over, you can play a season but are ineligible for playoffs.  No community needs a single high school that big and usually with multiple campuses and the like, you already are two or more schools in all but name. 

Trying to think of the last time the claim to overall best team in the state could plausibly come from below the top classification. Maybe one of those 1990s La Marque teams. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Damn, the next gen of Schobels must have gone off

Columbus picked up a kid that was a part of a six man team that had won 3 championships. He won 4 championship mvps. 3 on offense and also took home the Defensive mvp for one of those games. Anyways, the kid is more than capable of playing at this level. Too lazy to look up his name. Just caught the Columbus highlights on the Texas High School recap show.

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

SOC does this every year. They’re a 5AD2 school that routinely schedules the best 6A schools in the entire state. Schools that no one else wants to play. They start the season 1-2 or 0-3 and then cruise to the state championship game, because the 5AD2 playoffs feel like a vacation compared to their impossible non-district.

Their non-district schedule this year is North Shore, Duncanville and Longview.

7 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Columbus picked up a kid that was a part of a six man team that had won 3 championships. He won 4 championship mvps. 3 on offense and also took home the Defensive mvp for one of those games. Anyways, the kid is more than capable of playing at this level. Too lazy to look up his name. Just caught the Columbus highlights on the Texas High School recap show.

Grayson Rigdon, formally of Benjamin is this kid's name.   Really good at football and maybe better at bastketball. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 10:39 AM, BrazilHorn said:

Austin High kicks off season vs New Braunfels Canyons @ House Park Friday. 

Come to game, leave at halftime to go to Tavern and then come back for 2H. 

Coolest HS stadium in ATX, with views of downtown and just different vibe then some of the mega stadiums around Texas 

House Park is lowkey one of the best stadiums in the world, given the setting and location.

I've told this story before, but when I was in HS at Westlake in the late 80s early 90s, about half of the Westlake Parents and Grandparents were Austin High grads.  Everybody went to church together all across Austin and the Westbank. A bunch of the players were kids of Darrell Royal era Longhorn teams.  The Austin High/Westlake game at House Park was just this amazing opportunity for everyone to have a mini family reunion in the parking lot and sideline, late in the year after the heat had broken so it was actually pleasant to be outside. Getting a seating at El Patio pre game was on Par with UT gamedays. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

35 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

House Park is lowkey one of the best stadiums in the world, given the setting and location.

I've told this story before, but when I was in HS at Westlake in the late 80s early 90s, about half of the Westlake Parents and Grandparents were Austin High grads.  Everybody went to church together all across Austin and the Westbank. A bunch of the players were kids of Darrell Royal era Longhorn teams.  The Austin High/Westlake game at House Park was just this amazing opportunity for everyone to have a mini family reunion in the parking lot and sideline, late in the year after the heat had broken so it was actually pleasant to be outside. Getting a seating at El Patio pre game was on Par with UT gamedays. 

Changed a bit since then with how dominant WL has been in sports but the games still have a very familial vibe just given how from WAYA to WACC to WHLL these boys have all grown up playing with and against one another over the years. Lots of parents are good friends and there is no real animosity between the programs. I will say though everyone from WL to AHS can agree Lake Travis are a bunch of dickheads.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Changed a bit since then with how dominant WL has been in sports but the games still have a very familial vibe just given how from WAYA to WACC to WHLL these boys have all grown up playing with and against one another over the years. Lots of parents are good friends and there is no real animosity between the programs. I will say though everyone from WL to AHS can agree Lake Travis are a bunch of dickheads.

Work Yes GIF by Offline Granny!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/31/2024 at 10:29 AM, ABSR said:

SOC is almost 1600 now. But any school with open enrollment is going to have a talent level disproportionate with their enrollment number. They play a really difficult non'district schedule to be prepared for a playoff run. But another factor is some school from Frisco ISD isn't going to play them week 2. Samples wasn't taking the Duncanville job unless they had open enrollment. Same for De Soto and Cedar Hill. You don't see a kid from California announcing his commitment on Twitter to a South Metroplex area high school because he's fired up about their algebra program.  

23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

desoto looks stacked 

Definitely. Pound for pound, they have been the best team in the state the last few years and one of the best in the country. Hard to compare them to certain schools in the country where they aren't under the UIL umbrella and pretty much strictly recruit kids around the country to form allstar teams. I think Duncanville got ran off the field by one of these teams a few years ago, maybe from California.

A decade ago, Desoto could never get over the hump of Allen. 

I think I’m going to try and watch Desoto vs Corpus Christi Miller at the Alamodome in a couple weeks. Should be a good game. Miller actually has the athletes to match up well with Desoto (if you just looked at their roster you’d never guess they were from Corpus) but I think Desoto’s depth will make the difference. Probably a 49-28 type of game.

Saw a special segment on the big human from Desoto, Byron Washington.

Man that is a good humble kid.  Works hard, just him and his mom helping her through treatment.  Really hope things work out for him in college and he gets a shot at the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 1

Top games this week:

Steele at Reagan
North Shore at Crowley
N. Crowley at Desoto
Hightower at Westfield
Katy at Atascocita
Cedar Hill at Allen
Abilene-Cooper
Wurst Bowl: NB at Canyon
Rockwall at LT
Bird Bowl: Harlingen-South
Midlo H. at Argyle
Duncanville at SOC
San Benito at Westlake
Summer Creek at Lamar
Vandegrift at CP
Martin at Guyer
SA Johnson at Pieper
Longview at Marshall
Lovejoy at HP
Nederland at WOS
H-F at Hitchcock
Dickinson at CE King
Brennan at SV
Lancaster at Aledo

Albany at Hawley
Celina at Waco LV
Calallen at Alice
Cuero at LaVernia
Goliad at Tidehaven
Abernathy at Sunray
Canadian at Bushland
Malakoff at Lorena
Gilmer at Chapel Hill
Gunter at Anna
Brownwood at Wall

On 9/3/2024 at 6:53 PM, Helobious said:

I think I’m going to try and watch Desoto vs Corpus Christi Miller at the Alamodome in a couple weeks. Should be a good game. Miller actually has the athletes to match up well with Desoto (if you just looked at their roster you’d never guess they were from Corpus) but I think Desoto’s depth will make the difference. Probably a 49-28 type of game.

Miller is going to get murdered and then nuked. 

• Drool 1

49 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Austin High beat Westwood 35-34. 
2-0 for first time in god knows how lomg

Sep_5_2024_11_50_10.thumb.jpg.cd42c29dd416c971c9d89c97d202f82f.jpg

Arch was there to witness it in person.

Westwood led for most of the game. Austin High got a big 4th down stop and a long touchdown to tie it at 28. Westwood went ahead with a TD with about 5 minutes to go, but bobbled the XP. 34-28. 

Austin High went for it on 4th down in their own territory and about 2 minutes to go, but the pass was incomplete. Westwood just had to run out the clock, but fumbled on 1st down. A long TD on a screen pass with under a minute to go gave Austin High the lead. 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

San Antonio Burbank beats SA Veterans Memorial 31-24 in what is easily the biggest win for an SAISD school since Brackenridge beat Alamo Heights in the 2012 playoffs. Burbank senior QB Keven Hernandez accounted for 454 total yards and all 4 bulldog TDs. Call me stupid, say all my predictions are wrong, but goddamn it I know a good latino football player when I see one.

On 8/28/2022 at 12:10 AM, Helobious said:

Steele upsets SA Brennan 35-34 to close out the day at the Alamodome. The 2025 class in SA could be one of the city’s best ever. Ty Hawkins (Johnson QB), Mike Terry (alamo heights QB), Jaden Perez (Brandeis WR), and Chad Warner (Steele QB) all look like stars.  Keven Hernandez (Burbank QB) could be a name to remember too. 

On 9/15/2023 at 10:38 PM, Helobious said:

Southside superman

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Sep_5_2024_11_50_10.thumb.jpg.cd42c29dd416c971c9d89c97d202f82f.jpg

Arch was there to witness it in person.

Westwood led for most of the game. Austin High got a big 4th down stop and a long touchdown to tie it at 28. Westwood went ahead with a TD with about 5 minutes to go, but bobbled the XP. 34-28. 

Austin High went for it on 4th down in their own territory and about 2 minutes to go, but the pass was incomplete. Westwood just had to run out the clock, but fumbled on 1st down. A long TD on a screen pass with under a minute to go gave Austin High the lead. 

Yep. I glossed over the Arch sighting. He’s a big dude. 
I had a lot of proud papa moments watching my son play last night.  
Just really gutsy play by team as WW scored on their first offensive play, then the AHS coach did some really dumb fake punt that i think no one else but punter knew was going to happen and gave WW ball on 32yd line resulting in a fairly quick second score for WW. 

So being down 14-0 in the blink of an eye, pulling it together and coming back to win was cool. Especially considering WW shit-pumped AHS last year. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1