2024 PGA Tour

Wally Fairway

10 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

After the US Open he said he wants to start taking the previous week off to prepare for majors when possible. 

I might make an exception for the Open.  Get over there a week early and get all of the jet lag shit out of the way.  It takes me a few days to adjust, and I’m not trying to stick wedges inside of 5 feet.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I might make an exception for the Open.  Get over there a week early and get all of the jet lag shit out of the way.  It takes me a few days to adjust, and I’m not trying to stick wedges inside of 5 feet.

That was exactly what I was thinking. And maybe he is over there, but playing practice rounds elsewhere instead.

Good learning experience for next month too. If it were me, that’s where my focus would be in that situation. Only one shot every 4 years, and you may not be at the top of your game next time. Take the opportunity and all that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

No, it’s not.

24 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

That was exactly what I was thinking. And maybe he is over there, but playing practice rounds elsewhere instead.

Good learning experience for next month too. If it were me, that’s where my focus would be in that situation. Only one shot every 4 years, and you may not be at the top of your game next time. Take the opportunity and all that.

well, it would appear that he’s already over there.

Posted (edited)

I'll just put this here instead of resurrecting the Masters thread.  I don't know about beloved, but one hears the Masters theme and immediately thinks of Augusta.

Also, in case you are wondering, Dave Loggins was related to Kenny Loggins.  The two were second cousins.

Dave Loggins, who wrote beloved Masters theme music, dies at 76

Also, in things I did not know before, there are lyrics to the Masters theme.  CBS only ever plays the instrumental version.  And it has an official title:  "Augusta".  Really going out on a limb with that song title.

Well, it's springtime in the valley on Magnolia Lane
It's the Augusta National and the master of the game
Who'll wear that green coat on Sunday afternoon?
Who'll walk the 18th fairway singing this tune?
Augusta, your dogwoods and pines
They play on my mind like a song
Augusta, it's you that I love
And it's you that I'll miss when I'm gone.
It's Watson, Byron Nelson, Demaret, Player and Snead
It's Amen Corner and it's Hogan's perfect swing
It's Sarazen's double eagle at the 15 in '35
And the spirit of Clifford Roberts that keeps it alive
Augusta, your dogwoods and pines
They play on my mind like a song
Augusta, it's you that I love
And it's you that I miss when I'm gone.
It's the legions of Arnie's Army and the Golden Bear's throngs And the wooden-shafted legend of Bobby Jones.

Edited by ScottS
ou sucks
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2024 Genesis Scottish Open

This week was all about Bob. Bob, as in Robert MacIntyre, Scotland's own son who was so close to winning the Genesis Scottish Open last year, only to be clipped by Rory McIlroy on the 72nd hole.

This time, however, MacIntyre was the one doing the clipping. He would not be denied as he birdied the 14th hole Sunday, eagled the 16th, then made birdie from 22 feet on the last hole to shoot 67 and beat Adam Scott by a single shot at Renaissance Club in North Berwick. MacIntyre, who captured his second PGA Tour victory after winning the RBC Canadian Open earlier this summer, collected $1.62 million from the overall $9 million purse. He shot 67-65-63-67 to end the week at 19-under-par 262 total.

Moments earlier Scott had a 15-foot birdie attempt on the 18th green but failed to convert, leaving MacIntyre to handle the heroics in the grouping behind. Scott was looking to win his first PGA Tour event in four years, since he won the Genesis Invitational in 2020 at Riviera. He earned $981,000 for the runner-up performance.

McIlroy returned to Scotland looking to defend his title, while also looking to shake off the disappointment of his U.S. Open finish last month, playing for the first time since finishing second place to Bryson DeChambeau at Pinehurst No. 2. He shot a final-round 68 to tie for fourth place. Aaron Rai continued his hot play and tied for fourth and grabbed one of three spots available this week into the British Open next week at Royal Troon. Alex Noren and Richard Mansell secured the other two positions.

This was the third year that the PGA Tour and DP World Tour co-sanctioned the event at the Renaissance Club, with 75 players from each tour making up the field. Here is the rundown of what each player earned who made the cut.

WIN: Robert MacIntyre, -18/262, $1.62 million

2: Adam Scott, -17/263, $981,000

3: Romain Langasque, -15/265, $621,000

T-4: Aaron Rai, $330,750

T-4: Rory McIlroy, $330,750

T-4: Sungjae Im, $330,750

T-4: Collin Morikawa, $330,750

T-4: Ludvig Aberg, $330,750

T-4: Sahith Theegala, $330,750

T-10: Richard Mansell, $209,250

T-10: Wyndham Clark, $209,250

T-10: Alex Noren, $209,250

T-10: Victor Perez, $209,250

T-10: Corey Conners, $209,250

T-15: Tom Kim, -12/268, $141,750

T-15: Alejandro Del Rey, -12/268, $141,750

T-15: Niklas Norgaard Moller, -12/268, $141,750

T-15: Conner Syme, -12/268, $141,750

T-15: Xander Schauffele, -12/268, $141,750

T-15: Matteo Manassero, -12/268, $141,750

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

The spare ass ISCO Championship in Kentucky is going on.  5 man playoff about to start, which includes Pierceson Coody, who birdied 18 in the last group to make it.

T2 for Pierceson 🤘       Gribble T21 🤘

Screenshot_20240714-224611_kindlephoto-16534456.thumb.png.cf24032633de968acfbd377b9fc728c8.png

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

BDC plays with Trump in his Break 50 YouTube series. A few things that stood out: For a 78 year old, he’ seems like a decent player though  I’m skeptical about the editing. No surprise that he drives the cart on the tee boxes and greens. Also, the one tour player that he singles out as liking was Fatrick Reed. Cheaters sticking together  

Edited by TonyTexas

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Break 50?

On the front 9, right?

It’s a scramble format from the red tees so most of the par 4s are drivable, the 5s are easily reachable and the 3s are flip wedges. 

Edited by TonyTexas

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

For a 78 year old, he’ seems like a decent player though

The putting montage of this round I saw earlier indicates that he sucks ass at golf considering how much time he spends at it. 

It’s a scramble format from the red tees

Probably better that way. Don’t need to see dicks flipped out on tv. 

20 minutes ago, Blotto said:

The putting montage of this round I saw earlier indicates that he sucks ass at golf considering how much time he spends at it. 

Me too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Blotto said:

His putting stroke sucks but for his age his swing is pretty good.  Obligatory no CR.  No doubt your post was no CR. 

Posted (edited)

If we're doing a separate thread, please link. I didn't see one.

Scottie/Mc/Lud tee off at 3:11A, Thursday morning. That's one hell of a group. Not sure if they'll have featured groups on peacock or not, but definitely won't be anything on ESPN+/PGA Tour Live.

Tee Times: https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/2024/mens-olympic-golf-competition/R2024519/tee-times

Edited by thunderlounge
ou sucks

Collin is hitting some great shots too.

Why NBC changed up their graphic layout, no idea. Hardly showing a leaderboard, very little supplemental stats, no club selection. It’s not like they don’t know how to cover golf. They do it pretty well every week. But come majors, they change it up and fuck it up. 

36 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Why NBC changed up their graphic layout, no idea. Hardly showing a leaderboard, very little supplemental stats, no club selection. It’s not like they don’t know how to cover golf. They do it pretty well every week. But come majors, they change it up and fuck it up. 

fify

46 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

I doubt that NBC is producing the telecast. It’s probably a pool feed with each country throwing in their announcers. 

50 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

They went like half of the US basketball game yesterday without a scorebug. I didn't know it was 1993 still.

• Rage+1 1

I doubt that NBC is producing the telecast. It’s probably a pool feed with each country throwing in their announcers. 

They apparently can still add their logo, so they could add a leaderboard, etc. And they have people on the ground as usual.

Camera coverage/angles is one thing, I can see that shots being a base feed to keep from being overrun by networks of the world.

But informational graphics are way, way worse than the British or US opens were.

On 8/1/2024 at 11:12 AM, TonyTexas said:

Horrible announcing, I can't stand comments during the 3rd round that a player is currently in gold (silver or bronze) position. There is still a lot of golf to be played.

The way he’s able to turn it on and put on a clinic when he needs to is amazing to watch. The approach at 15 and the putt on 17 with all the pressure were a thing of beauty. Hook em Scottie!!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

No fucking way!
Been dealing with some family stuff and just saw the results and am so thrilled.

I told my wife this was like Katie spotting her best opponents a 15 yard lead going into the last turn and then just deciding to blow by them all.

Otherworldly stuff.

Now I’m going to get on my peloton and watch the final round.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

there are some Olympics sports, unlike Gymnastics, Swimming/Diving, Track, even Tennis, etc where you really only have one shot to win a medal.  Golf is one of those. Even though the field isn't as good as a grand slam, it has to be really special.