2024 Pro Cycling Season

G650

This tour is so odd as basically every stage the top contenders are all content with the result. At some point obviously that will change but for now there's no hurt feelings

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

Think it may have been a jammed derailleur for Remco.

So after the interview, apparently none of the above. He thought he punctured because of a popping noise.

We may indeed have a race here, though Tadej still had great form. 

Remco confirming he thought he heard a pop or hiss, thought he had a slow leak and took the last corners a little conservatively. He’s a fun one to watch. Seems way more mature than his age. 

29 minutes ago, Txzen said:

We may indeed have a race here, though Tadej still had great form

The one question to be answered is when he hits the Giro wall. It's coming but no idea at what point. Could be after the Tour.

Agreed. Can Tadej keep his lead on 13/14 and then 19/20, or at least not crack? Will Primoz and Jonas ride into form? Will Remco be within striking distance for the top step for the last TT? A much more entertaining Tour than I expected with all the big name crashes during Spring. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

10 minutes ago, Txzen said:

Agreed. Can Tadej keep his lead on 13/14 and then 19/20, or at least not crack? Will Primoz and Jonas ride into form? Will Remco be within striking distance for the top step for the last TT? A much more entertaining Tour than I expected with all the big name crashes during Spring. 

100%. I was excited for this Tour, then totally crushed after all the injuries, now miraculously it is amazing. What a rollercoaster.

I am not sure how much better Jonas can get, that is sort of a myth, it's more less tailing off, but it's definitely his strength so that keeps his trajectory an open question. And finishing on a TT, Remco is a serious wild card if he hangs in the mountains. Could be 1989 again.

A few hours behind. When they approached the top of the hill at 80.6 miles to go and everyone had to jump off their bikes because they couldn't get any traction in the dirt road...pretty awesome. 

TP going for it at 80k, ok. Remco attacking then fading, Roglic and his team limiting the damage, and Jonas racing 70k on his teammates bike. Hell of a stage. 

Tadej likes to race. Let’s see if he has enough gas in the tank when we hit the Pyrenees.

3 hours ago, Txzen said:

TP going for it at 80k, ok. Remco attacking then fading, Roglic and his team limiting the damage, and Jonas racing 70k on his teammates bike. Hell of a stage. 

Tadej likes to race. Let’s see if he has enough gas in the tank when we hit the Pyrenees.

It was one of the most entertaining stages we've had in a long while. I like the idea of riding on gravel, but I hate the idea that such a huge race could be determined by bad luck. I mean, sure, that is always the case but the possibilities / probabilities get magnified on gravel.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It was one of the most entertaining stages we've had in a long while. I like the idea of riding on gravel, but I hate the idea that such a huge race could be determined by bad luck. I mean, sure, that is always the case but the possibilities / probabilities get magnified on gravel.

Imagine if it had been raining.

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Yeah, I think there's definitely a good chance after watching this week, but still going to be a big ask. Without Sepp, Jonas will have to burn off all the UAE riders himself. They won't pace hard enough to strangle Pogacar in the high mountains.

56 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yeah, I think there's definitely a good chance after watching this week, but still going to be a big ask. Without Sepp, Jonas will have to burn off all the UAE riders himself. They won't pace hard enough to strangle Pogacar in the high mountains.

There’s a good reason Remco shaded Jonas, suggesting he doesn’t have the balls to race. Tadej said he thinks Jonas is afraid of him. These comments are in response to Jonas riding smart and calmly instead of trying to blow up the GC on Stage 9 with 70k to go without teammates. How Jonas goes for the rest of the race is unknown, but I think both Remco and Pogi know that if Jonas continues to improve, they need him to make a tactical mistake on the road if they’re not able to bury him with attacks. I don’t think it’s Jonas who’s afraid. This is an already an incredible Tour, and shaping up to have the potential of being legendary. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Whitewater Horn said:

There’s a good reason Remco shaded Jonas, suggesting he doesn’t have the balls to race. Tadej said he thinks Jonas is afraid of him. These comments are in response to Jonas riding smart and calmly instead of trying to blow up the GC on Stage 9 with 70k to go without teammates. How Jonas goes for the rest of the race is unknown, but I think both Remco and Pogi know that if Jonas continues to improve, they need him to make a tactical mistake on the road if they’re not able to bury him with attacks. I don’t think it’s Jonas who’s afraid. This is an already an incredible Tour, and shaping up to have the potential of being legendary. 

Yep, they are trying to get in his head and it isn’t working. Jonas should have said I have a tour championship for each one of my balls. The fact he didn’ get suckered into their game could be a good sign. 

• Like 1

Criticizing Jonas for behaving like Jonas is one way to go.  I hope Pog and Remco keep poking that bear.  Jonas has always been very aware of his strengths and weaknesses, and ridden accordingly.  Expecting him to go toe-to-toe with Pog and Remco on stages that don't suit him is wish casting.  

3 hours ago, G650 said:

This is the second biggest hurdle to a Jonas 3-peat (the biggest being the crash in April).  I think Jonas is more reliant on his team than Pog.  Pog has rarely demonstrated that he has the patience to utilize his team to its fullest potential, though to be fair, this is the first year where he has the strongest team.  Not maximizing that advantage is good news for Jonas, but I don't think it will matter.  

I'm not as optimistic as Thomas, but I would love to be wrong.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Criticizing Jonas for behaving like Jonas is one way to go.  I hope Pog and Remco keep poking that bear.  Jonas has always been very aware of his strengths and weaknesses, and ridden accordingly.  Expecting him to go toe-to-toe with Pog and Remco on stages that don't suit him is wish casting.  

This is the second biggest hurdle to a Jonas 3-peat (the biggest being the crash in April).  I think Jonas is more reliant on his team than Pog.  Pog has rarely demonstrated that he has the patience to utilize his team to its fullest potential, though to be fair, this is the first year where he has the strongest team.  Not maximizing that advantage is good news for Jonas, but I don't think it will matter.  

I'm not as optimistic as Thomas, but I would love to be wrong.  

I don’t know if I’m at the point of optimism for him being able to win yet, but I’m 100% impressed with where Jonas is so far. Coming into the Tour as his first race after broken clavicle, ribs, and collapsed lung, and a diminished Tour squad, I expected him to be more than five minutes down by this point, and likely struggling to make the final podium in Nice. Maybe it all catches up with him. Right now I love the way he’s racing. I also love that Remco is living up to the promise of being one of the men to beat in his first Tour.  Cav, Bardet, Girmay - so much greatness in this race so far. Jasper still shut out and no sniff of the green jersey.  I hope Jonas continues to progress and makes this an even more exciting race. After the last two years, you know Tadej wants to just *crush* Jonas and despite what he’s saying now, fully expected to have more than 1:15 on him after the first week. Can’t wait to see the reactions of RemPog if Jonas starts pulling tile back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

At first, second, and third glance, I assumed that was some sort of photoshop fade effect before realizing it was just the dust.  It also captures the slightly bad fit of Jan Tratnik's bike for Jonas.  Awesome photo.