2024 Pro Cycling Season

G650

14 minutes ago, TexPx said:

I have no idea but it doesn’t seem like punctured lung, several broken ribs and a broken collarbone a couple of months before Le Tour could be helpful.

If Pog wins won’t this be the first time since Pantani a rider won the Giro an TdF in the same year?

Yep.

Posted (edited)

Here's the thing, while both of these dudes are super likeable, one is on former Rabobank, and the other rides for Gianetti and Maxtin, literally the dirtiest guys in cycling history. And they are somehow way in front of everyone else.

Edited by G650

50 minutes ago, TexPx said:

I have no idea but it doesn’t seem like punctured lung, several broken ribs and a broken collarbone a couple of months before Le Tour could be helpful.

If Pog wins won’t this be the first time since Pantani a rider won the Giro an TdF in the same year?

Yep. Timing is everything Pog is a beast not taking that away. But Jonas is better and would be winning today if not for basically having what would end most dudes 

28 minutes ago, G650 said:

Here's the thing, while both of these dudes are super likeable, one is on former Rabobank, and the other rides for Gianetti and Maxtin, literally the dirtiest guys in cycling history. And they are somehow way in front of everyone else.

Exactly. By this time, we know all the players. If you choose to continue to follow and support the sport, then you shouldn’t expect that all of the tigers have changed their stripes. It’s still Saunier-Duval vs Rabobank, as well as others. The other problem at the ASO, UCI, WADA levels is that they had to take the blow back of Operacion Puerto and the “reasoned decision” to disqualify wins from the biggest winners and fan favorites in the sport. After trying to rebuild the image of cycling, it’s doubtful they want another scandal of that magnitude. Maybe I’m way off, but it feel like these organizations are much more aligned and make small, but public busts on lesser named riders. With the likability, popularity, and exposure of riders like Pogi, Remco, MVdP, Jonas, etc, you have to wonder how much of an organized effort is being made to not look l too closely at these incredible results and open Pandora’s box again. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Exactly. By this time, we know all the players. If you choose to continue to follow and support the sport, then you shouldn’t expect that all of the tigers have changed their stripes. It’s still Saunier-Duval vs Rabobank, as well as others. The other problem at the ASO, UCI, WADA levels is that they had to take the blow back of Operacion Puerto and the “reasoned decision” to disqualify wins from the biggest winners and fan favorites in the sport. After trying to rebuild the image of cycling, it’s doubtful they want another scandal of that magnitude. Maybe I’m way off, but it feel like these organizations are much more aligned and make small, but public busts on lesser named riders. With the likability, popularity, and exposure of riders like Pogi, Remco, MVdP, Jonas, etc, you have to wonder how much of an organized effort is being made to not look l too closely at these incredible results and open Pandora’s box again. 

Yeah, and obviously the contra argument is go in with open eyes. After so many years of scandal, at some point you kind of just accept a certain amount of shadiness. It really becomes more of where the line is drawn. I love cycling, and watching cyclists race, so it's still enjoyable to watch the drama unfold, even knowing it's probably not wholly clean.

For what it's worth this is every sport really, football, soccer, baseball, you name it. It's not exclusively cycling.

My biggest sadness really is that someone as likeable as Tadej is associated with those shitheads that run his team.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, G650 said:

Those numbers for Tadej and Jonas are just stupid. Yes, amazing advancements in sport science, nutrition & recovery, bicycle tech, etc have been made in the 25+ years since those climbing records were set by Pantani, but pushing that many watts for so long is….it’s something. 

25 minutes ago, G650 said:

My biggest sadness really is that someone as likeable as Tadej is associated with those shitheads that run his team.

That’s the main tragedy of the whole shit show.  I’m sure the vast majority of these riders, especially the high talent, high confidence, big ego type guys like Tadej, Remco, MVdP, Wout, etc, want to beat their opponents straight up if they had their druthers. Smashing your rivals under your own power without the assist of a syringe or blood bag is real macho shit. When sponsorships and big money are involved, so will be the agendas of team owners, trainers, and DSs. I obviously cannot speak from experience, but I’m guessing the shady methods for fueling up and recovering isn’t usually happening at the behest of the athletes. And yeah, Tadej is so damn likable. I hope those bastards haven’t ruined him. 

Posted (edited)

The most suspect thing to me is recovery.  How they can look so much better than everyone else day after day after day is the "hmmm" factor for me.  When it comes to things like that, I just ignore it and enjoy the sport for what it is.     

I don't want to know the truth.  And don't spoil Santa Claus for me either.  

Edited by idigTexas
  • Like 1

Someone PM me, because I still haven't watched yesterday's tour - #15 and I don't want to come to this thread and see the results. But, I ordered Peacock and need help in figuring out how to use it. On the #14 stage, I started watching it in the morning and then went on a ride. Later, I did a search and kept trying to search but it didn't show up until the evening. On the 15th, I tried to do the same searching for 15, Tour, etc. and nothing showed up all day and even into this morning. This morning, I switched it to Sports instead of search and then in the banner #15 appeared. Unfortunately, I couldn't watch very much of it because I had to go to work. How do you find the damn replay broadcast? I can find 1-14 fine and 16-whatever fine, but the current day broadcast, no such luck. Maybe just switching to Sports instead of searching is the answer. Anyone else have the same problem that I'm experiencing?

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Someone PM me, because I still haven't watched yesterday's tour - #15 and I don't want to come to this thread and see the results. But, I ordered Peacock and need help in figuring out how to use it. On the #14 stage, I started watching it in the morning and then went on a ride. Later, I did a search and kept trying to search but it didn't show up until the evening. On the 15th, I tried to do the same searching for 15, Tour, etc. and nothing showed up all day and even into this morning. This morning, I switched it to Sports instead of search and then in the banner #15 appeared. Unfortunately, I couldn't watch very much of it because I had to go to work. How do you find the damn replay broadcast? I can find 1-14 fine and 16-whatever fine, but the current day broadcast, no such luck. Maybe just switching to Sports instead of searching is the answer. Anyone else have the same problem that I'm experiencing?

PM sent for what its worth.  Peacock's user interface really sucks and it's tough to avoid spoilers.

3 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Just watched it.  Grrrrrrrrrr.  Hope he is able to go tomorrow.  He needed a couple of stitches and has a few bumps and bruises, but thankfully no fractures.  

That was a bummer to watch in real time and would be a cruel way to lose the green jersey. I hope he makes the start and can finish the race. 

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

Loving this Remco

For sure. After all of the promise, the horrific crash and related setbacks, winning the Vuelta in 2022 (?), more injuries. Cool to see him ride his own race and stay engaged. He can be relevant at this race for a long time. No Giro fatigue for Pogi. He’s on an insane level this year. Jonas is obviously diminished, but I don’t think he could hang with this version of Tadej. He’s truly in beast mode. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

No Giro fatigue for Pogi. He’s on an insane level this year. Jonas is obviously diminished, but I don’t think he could hang with this version of Tadej. He’s truly in beast mode. 

We'll never know exactly how diminished Jonas is, or what he might have done with a healthy team around him, but Tadej certainly appears to be in top form.  

Glad to see Girmay isn't too worse for ware.  Loved seeing him grab that point from Philipsen at the mid-stage sprint.  

Edited by idigTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

What a great climb - my kind of quiet road to nowhere. 

Love the way EF have animated the race, even if it wasn’t always successful. Fuck yes Carapaz. Nice team time trial to get him in the break. And yes, like this Remco kid. 

Edited by Txzen

The stage was a mere 2km too long for Matty. Pogi putting on a show of dominance. 

I’m a fan of Pogi. I love to see the leader riding aggressively, but would have liked to have seen Matty win the stage.

Tejay was bitching post race that mean old Pogi should throw a bone to some other riders. When they asked Powless about it he mentioned he should be true to his team who worked their asses off to get him in position to take the stage.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, TexPx said:

I’m a fan of Pogi. I love to see the leader riding aggressively, but would have liked to have seen Matty win the stage.

Tejay was bitching post race that mean old Pogi should throw a bone to some other riders. When they asked Powless about it he mentioned he should be true to his team who worked their asses off to get him in position to take the stage.

I’ve read several articles and heard commentary from talking heads in cycling coverage taking about how Pogi isn’t winning friends or potential allies in the peloton with his “win everything and by the biggest margin” approach. I’m sure there’s some truth to that, but it’s also clear that he’s not racing to make friends or be liked. He’s not trying to be adored like a Barset or Pinot. He’s making a run at Cannibal Deux. He loves competing, and wants to break and set records. He doesn’t just want to beat his rivals, he delights in demoralizing them and ripping their legs off. It surely rubs some riders and fans the wrong way, but it’s electric to watch. I may be wrong about this part, but I think there’s also a sense of Tour revenge here. The whole world watched Jonas break him on Granon in 2022 and de la Loze in 2023. The cameras spent a lot of time showing and commenting on his sorry state and marveling at the relentless consistent efforts of Jonas. He didn’t want to eke out a small margin win versus Jonas, he wants to likewise break him. Today we got to see Jonas after the stage being comforted by his wife in damn near inconsolable exhaustion and defeat. Tadej will likely still be annoyed at any mention of Jonas not being on top form due to the injuries from the accident. After the stage where Jonas initiated and beat him to the line in a 2 up sprint, Tadej made it a point several times in interviews to point out,  “see, just as we suspected, Jonas is in top form. It’s a fair fight.”  

I’m a fan and don’t want him to try to be anything he’s not. If he wants to be a ruthless killer trying to build a palmares to be in the Eddy conversation, I’m here for it. I’ll enjoy rooting both for and against him depending on the situation. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

I’ve read several articles and heard commentary from talking heads in cycling coverage taking about how Pogi isn’t winning friends or potential allies in the peloton with his “win everything and by the biggest margin” approach. I’m sure there’s some truth to that, but it’s also clear that he’s not racing to make friends or be liked. He’s not trying to be adored like a Barset or Pinot. He’s making a run at Cannibal Deux. He loves competing, and wants to break and set records.

I wonder if the hidden talk has to do with cheating and performance enhancing drugs and blood doping. It is great that the guy likes to compete but when he is on a team that has some of the biggest cheaters in the history of cycling involved, it rubs racers and ex-racers the wrong way when he wins in un-believable fashion. And today's race when Pogi tries to get Yates a victory it doesn't make me feel any better or change my opinion of him. Why should I root for Yates who happens to be so much better than his twin Simon? And it isn't magnanimous by Pogi to give the victory to his fellow team cheater. I will be very happy when UAE's plan doesn't work and another team wins.

Most of this is bias from my perspective. Mercx cheated. Armstrong cheated. Froome cheated. But only one guy is never mentioned by Phil. Yes, Armstrong is an ass. But, I'm not sure that is a good reason to have killed US cycling for a decade and to strip Armstrong of any mention.

I wish there could be a nameless poll or lie detector tests given to racers. If only 50% of the guys are cheating, I'm not sure how I would handle it. If 80% of the racers are cheating, I know exactly how I would handle it. It is totally unfair to call people the best ever when it is tainted by the fact that they may only have the best team doctors. If the percentage of cheater is so high, I would state the obvious. We absolutely should stop testing. Hiding the cheaters only helps the best cheaters and makes it an unfair playing field. Just make racers document what they took and have full disclosure. And make them sign consents acknowledging the dangers. The only problem I have is when racers die due to drugging. And my main problem with it is the public outcry.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

I’ve read several articles and heard commentary from talking heads in cycling coverage taking about how Pogi isn’t winning friends or potential allies in the peloton with his “win everything and by the biggest margin” approach. I’m sure there’s some truth to that, but it’s also clear that he’s not racing to make friends or be liked. He’s not trying to be adored like a Barset or Pinot. He’s making a run at Cannibal Deux. He loves competing, and wants to break and set records. He doesn’t just want to beat his rivals, he delights in demoralizing them and ripping their legs off. It surely rubs some riders and fans the wrong way, but it’s electric to watch. I may be wrong about this part, but I think there’s also a sense of Tour revenge here. The whole world watched Jonas break him on Granon in 2022 and de la Loze in 2023. The cameras spent a lot of time showing and commenting on his sorry state and marveling at the relentless consistent efforts of Jonas. He didn’t want to eke out a small margin win versus Jonas, he wants to likewise break him. Today we got to see Jonas after the stage being comforted by his wife in damn near inconsolable exhaustion and defeat. Tadej will likely still be annoyed at any mention of Jonas not being on top form due to the injuries from the accident. After the stage where Jonas initiated and beat him to the line in a 2 up sprint, Tadej made it a point several times in interviews to point out,  “see, just as we suspected, Jonas is in top form. It’s a fair fight.”  

I’m a fan and don’t want him to try to be anything he’s not. If he wants to be a ruthless killer trying to build a palmares to be in the Eddy conversation, I’m here for it. I’ll enjoy rooting both for and against him depending on the situation. 

I really wish Jonas and the rest of Visma were actually in top form, regardless of what Tadej wants everyone to believe.  

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I really wish Jonas and the rest of Visma were actually in top form, regardless of what Tadej wants everyone to believe.  

I don't think Jonas is way off of form - much better than I anticipated at the beginning.  Not saying he is 100% but he has raced pretty well: beating Pog on a sprint to the line for a stage win and blowing out previous records on important climbs.    If Jonas is riding at 75-80% this year, this will be Pog's last win in the TdF.  We'll see next year.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I don't think Jonas is way off of form - much better than I anticipated at the beginning.  Not saying he is 100% but he has raced pretty well: beating Pog on a sprint to the line for a stage win and blowing out previous records on important climbs.    If Jonas is riding at 75-80% this year, this will be Pog's last win in the TdF.  We'll see next year.

All this empty talk of Tadej doing…Jonas was in pieces this Spring, and had limited time to train yet was just a little off the pace of the best rider of this generation. He’s the one who attacked and rode across to the break on the last climb, yet there’s no accusations for what he’s on?

it’s always a concern or a question in this sport, but I prefer to focus on the positives. 

Loved the interview with Cav yesterday- that he thought it was more fitting for his last Tour stage to be suffering at the back to ‘stay in this beautiful race’, as that was more symbolic of his time in the Tour than a fairy tale sprint in Paris. Hard not to really like this guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Love this photo.

Girmay.jpg

Girmay's accomplishments were my favorite of the Tour, followed closely by Matteo's showing.

Vingo vastly exceeded my expectations.  I hope the top 3 and their teams are all healthy next year.  Let's see a fair fight.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

Girmay's accomplishments were my favorite of the Tour, followed closely by Matteo's showing.

Vingo vastly exceeded my expectations.  I hope the top 3 and their teams are all healthy next year.  Let's see a fair fight.  

I was also impressed by Almeida. He's only 25 and it appears that each year he's getting stronger.

5 hours ago, TexPx said:

Enjoyed watching and learning more about Carapaz, Remco and Girmay.

The one thing I'm taking away is how awesome Victor Campenaerts is. Not so much as a cyclist but just as a human being. His emotion after winning stage 18, his "cooking with Victor Campenaerts" videos on YouTube (which I didn't know about until this Tour), his training videos --- all of them show him to be a genuine, funny, self-deprecating human being and all-around good guy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

The one thing I'm taking away is how awesome Victor Campenaerts is. Not so much as a cyclist but just as a human being. His emotion after winning stage 18, his "cooking with Victor Campenaerts" videos on YouTube (which I didn't know about until this Tour), his training videos --- all of them show him to be a genuine, funny, self-deprecating human being and all-around good guy.

100%. Good dude

5 hours ago, TexPx said:

Enjoyed watching and learning more about Carapaz, Remco and Girmay.

I know it's a common refrain from me, but people really should watch the rest of the year. Carapaz is a literal past GT and Olympics winner. Remco probably the second most well know cyclist of the past 5 years besides maybe Pogacar, if not moreso.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I know it's a common refrain from me, but people really should watch the rest of the year. Carapaz is a literal past GT and Olympics winner. Remco probably the second most well know cyclist of the past 5 years besides maybe Pogacar, if not moreso.

Seconded.  Girmay was a revelation, at least to me, but the others are very well known.  

Biniam has been lurking in the Spring Classics, but he has been hurt for awhile which has kept his profile a little lower for sure. Really glad to see him get exposure because he is a good dude

Yeah. I keep up with the results during the year but usually only end up watching a few.

10 hours ago, G650 said:

Now that TdF is over, will most of the cycling be on MAX now?

4 hours ago, Pablo said:

Now that TdF is over, will most of the cycling be on MAX now?

Yeah, should be. I actually have to figure something out myself as Eurosport just closed down finally.