2024 Pro Cycling Season

G650

Just now, Hornius Emeritus said:

Phil Liggett retires.

A legend for sure, and he was the best for many years, but has been showing his age lately.  Time to relax and enjoy the sport without the pressures of commentating.  

I haven't seen anywhere that Phil is retiring from all commentating, just Olympics.  He has been an incredible commentator and its strange to listen to live road race commentary without Phil.  He has been slipping a bit in the last couple years of the TdF, but I'll be sad when he's no longer there.

It's somewhat bitter sweet, as I like old Phil, but he has not been a top flight commentator in quite a long while. That said, Bob Roll and the rest of the clowns NBC hires are way worse, so I'll stick to my Euro coverage regardless.

Anybody else watching TdF Femmes? Kristen is in the mix after 4 stages 47sec back. Don’t know how she will hold up in the big mountains.

First few stages through Rotterdam were cool. Always enjoy watching because it’s like a travelogue through interesting places.

Peacock also has the documentary “Uphill Climb” about the pioneers of women road racing. The woman were tough as hell. Mucho respect. Didn’t realize the first American to win the TdF was a woman.

2 hours ago, TexPx said:

Anybody else watching TdF Femmes? Kristen is in the mix after 4 stages 47sec back. Don’t know how she will hold up in the big mountains.

First few stages through Rotterdam were cool. Always enjoy watching because it’s like a travelogue through interesting places.

Peacock also has the documentary “Uphill Climb” about the pioneers of women road racing. The woman were tough as hell. Mucho respect. Didn’t realize the first American to win the TdF was a woman.

I didn't know she was racing in it. I will follow it more now.

On 8/14/2024 at 4:31 PM, TexPx said:

I'm just getting caught up now, been in Italy and Switzerland doing actual riding myself.

Looks like all the marbles tomorrow between Demi and Kasia. I'm not going to lie either, the women are more fun than the men in a lot of ways. Much more unpredictable.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm just getting caught up now, been in Italy and Switzerland doing actual riding myself.

Looks like all the marbles tomorrow between Demi and Kasia. I'm not going to lie either, the women are more fun than the men in a lot of ways. Much more unpredictable.

Yeah. Crazy and chaotic. And they are tough as nails.

Just got back from Colorado wasn’t following the La Vuelta. Checked in here to see not much discussion about the race so far. It should be interesting to backtrack to see how Ben O’Connor leads the favorites by five minutes after six stages. 

They let him get away and didn’t chase. Weird.

1 hour ago, TexPx said:

They let him get away and didn’t chase. Weird.

I’ll check out the replay and find a Chris Horner video on YouTube to get the skinny on which teams and riders were the knuckleheads a rider like O’Cinnor to go up the road unmarked. Weird indeed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Holy Crap what a stage. I think this is THE stage of the Vuelta, the Queen stage. Roglic and Mas are going for it with everything they've got. So far O'Conner is okay but damn.

This has been the best GT of the season easily. So open.

Mas' save today was unbelievable

The thing that is still hanging out there is the inevitable Roglic day off. Without Kuss to drag him, we could still see him set back quite a bit. The real dangerman right now is Mas, who looks fantastic.

4 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Yep. Impending doom and death by a thousand cuts for O’Connor. McNutty looked rough coming in, but amazing he was still able to finish as part of that group. 

It's a miracle he missed the pylons on that guardrail.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

It's a miracle he missed the pylons on that guardrail.

This is one of those types of crashes that make you hold your breath like the Itzulia Basque crash. That could have been way worse for Brandon. It was a relief to see him climb up over the guardrail and look reasonably coherent. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Wout re-signs with Visma. Will end his career with the team:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/articles/cn4z2n78212o

Saw that yesterday. Very interesting thing to do and makes an emphatic statement. Visma have been losing riders over the last year and aren’t the dominant force they were in the last few years. It will be interesting to see what they had was temporary or if they can keep attracting strong talent.