2024 Pro Cycling Season

G650

Just now, G650 said:

I think it's a stomach bug. He just yakked at 60 kph on the descent.

Nice of them to show us that moment in slow motion. We’ll see if that helps him recover.  Two of the upcoming climbs are nearly 8%, and one of them is 10k long. I think if he can make it over those two climbs without losing too much more time, he should make the cutoff. 

A reminder that you can go back to the beginning of the Tour coverage on the Peacock app. I'll typically let the Tour go for a while so I have something to watch during my workday. I love the opening in Florence. One of my favorite cities to visit in Italy. Back to lurking but I'll try to gleam more knowledge from you boys as it goes along. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On a first stage where 117 riders finished more than 14 minutes behind the winner and the main peloton, I have to say I’m surprised and impressed that Jonas didn’t lose any time to the other contenders. With the combination of the stage profile and oppressive heat, I fully expected him to outwardly suffer and lose time, maybe even to the point of VLAB changing focus to support Matty for the GC. He certainly cannot be in winning form, but the only bother I saw from Jonas today was the bike change after the mechanical. Still have to see if he can respond to an attack. Also glad Cav made it within the cutoff. 

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

On a first stage where 117 riders finished more than 14 minutes behind the winner and the main peloton, I have to say I’m surprised and impressed that Jonas didn’t lose any time to the other contenders. With the combination of the stage profile and oppressive heat, I fully expected him to outwardly suffer and lose time, maybe even to the point of VLAB changing focus to support Matty for the GC. He certainly cannot be in winning form, but the only bother I saw from Jonas today was the bike change after the mechanical. Still have to see if he can respond to an attack. Also glad Cav made it within the cutoff. 

The test with Jonas isn’t with 1 day. It’s cumulative. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I go for my ride today and come home to the news that Bardet is in yellow.  Take back every ill word I said about this tour, it's officially great, no matter what else happens. If the most impossible thing happens and he somehow holds on, best tour ever.

Edited by G650
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitewater Horn said:

I'm getting the sense he is a lot better than they are letting on. Not winning form probably, but decent.

Also he loves heat, Pog not so much so have to factor that in today.

20 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

The test with Jonas isn’t with 1 day. It’s cumulative. 

Of course. The point was that a guy who fractured his ribs and punctured a lung two months ago, shows up on Stage 1 with seven categorized climbs in nearly 100 degree heat and easily finishes in the first group with the favorites. It’s not a full measure of his health and fitness, but I’ll bet the guys in the VLAB camp feel pretty pumped about the result. A lot of riders who haven’t recently punctured a lung lost significant time today. I’m not sold on him being well enough to content based on today, I’m just surprised that he didn’t lose time or even look to be in any difficulty. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Of course. The point was that a guy who fractured his ribs and punctured a lung two months ago, shows up on Stage 1 with seven categorized climbs in nearly 100 degree heat and easily finishes in the first group with the favorites. It’s not a full measure of his health and fitness, but I’ll bet the guys in the VLAB camp feel pretty pumped about the result. A lot of riders who haven’t recently punctured a lung lost significant time today. I’m not sold on him being well enough to content based on today, I’m just surprised that he didn’t lose time or even look to be in any difficulty. 

I need you to understand something. Anytime I can be a know it all cocksucker I’m doing it.

Once I sent it I realized it came across cunty.
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, G650 said:

I go for my ride today and come home to the news that Bardet is in yellow.  Take back every ill word I said about this tour, it's officially great, no matter what else happens. If the most impossible thing happens and he somehow holds on, best tour ever.

It’s always an epic view to see the charging sprinters trying to catch the escapees and they’re within a couple hundred meters of the finish line. 

That was such a smart move, and in hindsight the winning move, when young VdB slowed dropped back from the break to wait for Bardet. Together they made quick work of taking the lead and fought all the home. Great stuff. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

It’s always an epic view to see the charging sprinters trying to catch the escapees and they’re within a couple hundred meters of the finish line. 

That was such a smart move, and in hindsight the winning move, when young VdB slowed dropped back from the break to wait for Bardet. Together they made quick work of taking the lead and fought all the home. Great stuff. 

So good. Bardet is right there with Pinot as my favorite rider of the past decade. As much for his wine and philosophy as his cycling lol.

Also, Ayuso looked bad today

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

I need you to understand something. Anytime I can be a know it all cocksucker I’m doing it.

Once I sent it I realized it came across cunty.

It certainly wasn’t taken that way, but who among us on Surly isn’t guilty of being a know it all cocksucker and making snarky, cunty replies sometimes. I would post elsewhere if I was fragile, took myself too seriously, and lacking a sense of humor. I’m constantly guilty of being a long winded blowhard using way too many words to try express a thought. 

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

So good. Bardet is right there with Pinot as my favorite rider of the past decade. As much for his wine and philosophy as his cycling lol.

Also, Ayuso looked bad today

Bardet gave great props to his teammate at the finish line. All joy and pure class. 

Speaking of UAE, Nils Politt wasn’t so hot, either. 

2 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

It certainly wasn’t taken that way, but who among us on Surly isn’t guilty of being a know it all cocksucker and making snarky, cunty replies sometimes. I would post elsewhere if I was fragile, took myself too seriously, and lacking a sense of humor. I’m constantly guilty of being a long winded blowhard using way too many words to try express a thought. 

Jeeze, shut up already.  

• Haha 2

Sad to see Bardet lose the jersey, but it’s justice that he got to ride in it for a day. 

Pogi tried to punch Jonas in the mouth with one of those explosive attacks, but instead of staying in the saddle and gradually pulling him back like he usually does, he was immediately out of the saddle and answered with his own explosive acceleration. And had the good sense to work with Pogi. Very impressive. Also impressive for Remco and Carapaz to make it up to Pogi and Jonas and finish together. Not good for Roglic. 

This should have been Roglics day. He has owned this climb.

I'm getting more optimistic we will have a race now. Jonas should get better, this punchy shit isn't his forte, and Pogs form should be on the wane. Not ready to make any calls yet, but should be entertaining anyway. Will see what happens on the Galibier.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, G650 said:

This should have been Roglics day. He has owned this climb.

I'm getting more optimistic we will have a race now. Jonas should get better, this punchy shit isn't his forte, and Pogs form should be on the wane. Not ready to make any calls yet, but should be entertaining anyway. Will see what happens on the Galibier.

Pretty sure Pogi and Jonas broke Roglic’s record for the San Luca. He just isn’t showing anything impressive so far. 

Jonas passed an important test today. This terrain was perfect for Pogi, and everyone, even Jonas and his team, expected to lose some time to Tadej. Not only did that not happen, UAE didn’t look that great. Stage 4 is Jonas’ terrain. Long, relentless climbs combined with altitude well above 2,000 meters. This is where he slowly destroys people by slowly and mercilessly turning the screws until dozens slip off the back and stay dropped. I think Pogi needs to do his best to stay with Jonas up the Galibier and pick his spots on short, punchy climbs at lower altitude. Too much to speculate on this early, but I was impressed by Jonas today and now more hopeful of a good race. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, G650 said:

Another random thought, Remco is looking pretty racy. He may surprise this Tour

He put those impressive TT skills on display to catch the Pogi/Jonas group. Having another of the Big 4 tied on GC time was another reason to feel more optimistic about this race.  Can’t wait to see how he impacts the race, whether it’s GC or stage hunting. With LuLu out, it’s always good to have another aggressive instigator in the race. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Bevo said:

How are y’all watching it? I’m in Montana this week and saw that NBC is only showing pieces.

Peacock. You can stream the NBC broadcast live, watch full replays of each stage, highlights, interviews, and other media. If you tine in late to the live stream, there is an option to play from the start of coverage.  If you don’t want to watch it in English and have a VPN, there are other options. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Doesn’t peacock cost money? What are the free options to watch on my phone?

Also, if you’re looking for totally free, you can also check YouTube. Sometimes people with paid subscriptions to different platforms will put up pirate livestreams of big races. They may not be in English and may get rebooted, but they’re free. 

Peacock here and I hate it. 

Living on the West Coast, always tuning in late in the morning with no option to start from the beginning. Have to start within and hour or so of the end. I guess it beats Wide World Of Sports Sunday updates, but just barely. 

6 hours ago, Txzen said:

Peacock here and I hate it. 

Living on the West Coast, always tuning in late in the morning with no option to start from the beginning. Have to start within and hour or so of the end. I guess it beats Wide World Of Sports Sunday updates, but just barely. 

That’s true, it’s not ideal. There is a two hour window on the live broadcast for rewinding the coverage, so you would have to tune in within two hours of the start to go back to the beginning. However, the replays contain the full broadcast and are available shortly after each stage. That’s a good feature without a dvr option. 

2 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

That’s true, it’s not ideal. There is a two hour window on the live broadcast for rewinding the coverage, so you would have to tune in within two hours of the start to go back to the beginning. However, the replays contain the full broadcast and are available shortly after each stage. That’s a good feature without a dvr option. 

This is what I do, turn it on and go back to sleep. Wake up a little later and finish it up.

I kind of like Carapaz…but he grabbed that jersey in the most Spanish way ever. Loved the WTF looks from Remco and Tadej at they were all soft pedaling in. 

edit - my bad, he’s from Ecuador but my feelings are the same!

Edited by Txzen

7 minutes ago, Txzen said:

I kind of like Carapaz…but he grabbed that jersey in the most Spanish way ever. Loved the WTF looks from Remco and Tadej at they were all soft pedaling in. 

edit - my bad, he’s from Ecuador but my feelings are the same!

They actually agreed to give him the jersey. Tadej didn't want it yet, was pretty miffed yesterday he got it.