Everything is Shit: Tracking the Great Enshittening

956 Worldwide

7 minutes ago, safe sex said:

This is my favorite painting in the entire Smithsonian museum system. I must have stared at it for over an hour. Some fukkin' anonymous early American rando painted this fukkin' gorgeous stag that stares so deeply into my soul that I want to weep. 

image.thumb.png.908b1c3f7c0dd770e5e55d562b72e029.png

Is your soul in two different directions?  Because that stag has Ken Paxton eyes going on.

I keed.

If we're going in the art direction - and fuck it, why not - this Renoir at the Musée d'Orsay stopped me in my tracks.  First, I love Renoir anyway.  But second....this might as well be a painting of my daughter.  It is her exact likeness, in a story told by Renoir's brushstrokes.

Pierre_Auguste_Renoir_-_The_toilet_woman

And because it tells a layered story of exhaustion (or is it rest?  Contemplation?  Despair?), and light, and beauty, La Tour's painting of the Magdalene, La Madeleine a la veilleuse in the Louvre legit choked me up.  I just stood and stared and took it all in.

640px-Georges_de_La_Tour_-_Magdalen_of_N

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Surly is rapidly becoming one of the places on the Internet that has valuable original conversation and thought from humans, not bots and very limited AI posting outside of clearly farce/meme type content. 

I actually started down the path of creating a surly only transformer model but was like what value would this have to current users other than some funny memes and probably slightly better search and that's all I could come up with. So for the cost of training I decided I would spend 1/100th as much and develop some new features that will be released soon across the OTF/Surly properties. 

I'm also starting to weigh a real storage service for a monthly fee under the surly ownership umbrella for personal use instead of Dropbox or Google etc. I think the infra has proven extremely resilient and data loss/data corruption has not been an issue outside of some extremely minor hiccups for surly in the past 6 years since introducing and improving the backend storage provider for surly (surly storage)

Let me know if this is interesting to some of you. I think with only 500 users of interest I could offer cloud/image storage with an app (based on open source) supporting anywhere from 5-10TB per user max and down to 500GB per person for a very reasonable price. Like treefiddy or something. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 11:46 AM, safe sex said:

Art owns. This should be an art thread from now on. Everything is art

There is only one true art, and that is art airbrushed on the side of van.

IMG_2155.webp.b17c05170cbffe0978f025f937e0857d.webp

• Drool 1

On 6/5/2024 at 9:37 AM, troph said:

that Rothko at the Tate gives me chills I would probably lose my shit in front of that one. like an ugly sobbing cry. the stark barrier between the two spaces of light and the turmoil as the dark and light meld all around. pictures don't do his work justice, you gotta get up real close and stare at the smallest of spaces, widen your lens and see the whole, see parts, see the brush strokes and the action. whoa man. gotta be ready for that one.

That's intense!  /repo man

7 hours ago, immamac said:

Surly is rapidly becoming one of the places on the Internet that has valuable original conversation and thought from humans, not bots and very limited AI posting outside of clearly farce/meme type content. 

I actually started down the path of creating a surly only transformer model but was like what value would this have to current users other than some funny memes and probably slightly better search and that's all I could come up with. So for the cost of training I decided I would spend 1/100th as much and develop some new features that will be released soon across the OTF/Surly properties. 

I'm also starting to weigh a real storage service for a monthly fee under the surly ownership umbrella for personal use instead of Dropbox or Google etc. I think the infra has proven extremely resilient and data loss/data corruption has not been an issue outside of some extremely minor hiccups for surly in the past 6 years since introducing and improving the backend storage provider for surly (surly storage)

Let me know if this is interesting to some of you. I think with only 500 users of interest I could offer cloud/image storage with an app (based on open source) supporting anywhere from 5-10TB per user max and down to 500GB per person for a very reasonable price. Like treefiddy or something. 

Not sure wtf you're talking about but sounds aight. Put me down as a yes.

I began my carefully curated collection of original paintings 25 years ago with a scintillating vista of an alien landscape crafted by an anonymous master artist working on the sidewalk on 6th street. He used nothing more than some spray cans and folded newspaper, but the result was spectacular. It's displayed proudly as the centerpiece of my art room.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

I began my carefully curated collection of original paintings 25 years ago with a scintillating vista of an alien landscape crafted by an anonymous master artist working on the sidewalk on 6th street. He used nothing more than some spray cans and folded newspaper, but the result was spectacular. It's displayed proudly as the centerpiece of my art room.

I remember that guy.

sat down tonight to start season 2 of shogun on hulu who have lost their fucking minds- it took 3 hours to watch less than 2 hours of content which means almost 50% commercials

i'm going to have to investigate an inline hdmi dvr because i'm not paying them a 5000% uplift to get back the hour of my time the stole tonight

40 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

sat down tonight to start season 2 of shogun on hulu who have lost their fucking minds- it took 3 hours to watch less than 2 hours of content which means almost 50% commercials

i'm going to have to investigate an inline hdmi dvr because i'm not paying them a 5000% uplift to get back the hour of my time the stole tonight

There is a season 2 of Shogun?

Lionel Ritchie What GIF

12 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Or you could just pay the extra fee to not have ads? I don't get this weird intransigence on paying to remove ads. You previously probably paid to have a DVR partially for the ability to skip ads in shows you recorded. $10 a month difference. Now, the price increase, that's enshitting but that's no different than all the other providers raising their rates constantly. Personally, I'd rather pay extra and not bother with ads. It's worth the extra amount. There wasn't some contract these streamers created that said you'd never ever have to worry about ads. Ads are what can keep them afloat and giving you the content you feel is at least worth $8 a month to pay for. 

• Hook 'Em 1

you say that, but once you sign up, they will increase the ad-free-fee by 5% a quarter for infinity

hulu will cost $100/month by the end of the decade

the metering corporations function no other way

if consumers do not draw the line here at the beginning, the enshittening will be eternal

Posted (edited)

It costs $19 a month right now for no ads. Even less if you bundle it with Disney+ or ESPN+. It's not going up 5 times the current rate in 6 years. That's just silly hyperbole. If it gets to a point where I don't find it is worth keeping, I'll drop it. I did that with Paramount+ and Netflix before. Again, if it goes up 5%, that's not going to kill me. That's $1. $12 a year. That's not going to kill me. I'll gladly pay for the convenience of no ads. And  guess what, the with ads price will go up too. 

The consumers only draw the line by dropping the service. Not by selecting the with ads model. Again, no one is holding a gun to your head. You choose to pay for these services. If you don't there's OTA that's completely 100% free. 

Edited by mdmost

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Or you could just pay the extra fee to not have ads? I don't get this weird intransigence on paying to remove ads. You previously probably paid to have a DVR partially for the ability to skip ads in shows you recorded. $10 a month difference. Now, the price increase, that's enshitting but that's no different than all the other providers raising their rates constantly. Personally, I'd rather pay extra and not bother with ads. It's worth the extra amount. There wasn't some contract these streamers created that said you'd never ever have to worry about ads. Ads are what can keep them afloat and giving you the content you feel is at least worth $8 a month to pay for. 

I remember a time when you could pay nothing more than the time to watch 16 minutes off commercials, in exchange for the privilege of turning on the TV, flipping to NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX or Public TV.  Now I gotta pay for internet, pay for several subscriptions, AND watch commercials.  Or pay even MORE in lieu of said commercials.

If I decide to be an old Boomer and just watch network TV, it's all garbage.  Because all the writing, show running, etc. talent is at Apple+ or whatever.  

Posted (edited)

Well, you don't HAVE to. You CHOOSE to. You could rent shows on DVD and Blu-ray that you haven't seen from the library. You could go to Half-Price books and buy for fairly cheap now the same thing on those formats or even VHS. Paying a premium for the content and convenience you want isn't a new concept. If you wanted movies and more risque shows back in the 80s and early 90s, you had to subscribe to cable and then pay extra for HBO, Cinemax, or Showtime. Or you had to pay for pay per view if you wanted to watch movies without a trip to the video store. When DirecTV came online, it offered even more options at a steeper cost. At one point, you had to pay extra for your local channels to be on your DirecTV lineup if you didn't want to keep doing OTA for those. Then if you wanted to skip commercials or record shows without a VCR or have more on demand options, you had to buy a Tivo and pay extra for their service. Then it was added to DirecTV for an extra fee. Nickel and diming the consumer for convenience isn't a new thing. 

It's amusing to me what we get up in arms about paying extra for. My kid said she didn't ask for new shorts this summer because they're all so expensive. I think the shorts she wanted were $50. We went and got two pairs because she was leaving on a summer school trip and needed them as she no longer could wear the old ones. I asked her, we pay how much each time we go to Chickfila or Raising Canes or our favorite Mexican restaurant or burger joint? Probably around what these shorts will cost. Chickfila is easily $40 now. Raising Canes is about $36. That's for one item we eat one time. You will wear these shorts all summer and maybe next unless you grow out of them. So why should you worry about us paying $50 for something you'll get a lot of use out of and need but you don't worry about the fast food meal you want us to get because you're tired of home cooking? I'll gladly pay $100 on the streaming services we pay for because we watch a lot of that content. As a family, on our owns, just the wife and me, the kids watch their own things. Why would I raise a stink about that content we choose to pay for, that we enjoy, and not the fast food dinner that's a hell of a lot more expensive that it used to be? 

And sure content has gone away from OTA and towards streaming services because that's where the money for those are. They previously could have loss leaders like the Wire that had quality writing and acting but maybe not a huge audience like what was required on OTA networks to stay afloat. That's going away as every studio is hurting after Covid and the strikes but some companies like Apple don't seem to care if they lose money on productions. But people are still watching the shows on OTA so there's a market there still. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Leftists fine with theft.

I’m stunned.

fucking scumbag 

What is wrong with you? Seriously man why are you such a miserable piece of shit all the time. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, immamac said:

What is wrong with you

Plenty 

24 minutes ago, immamac said:

Seriously man why are you such a miserable piece of shit all the time

All the time?

or just when the dudes who spew constant shit about fair share and wages, but then gleefully boast about stealing the products that fund wages?

18 hours ago, mdmost said:

Well, you don't HAVE to. You CHOOSE to. You could rent shows on DVD and Blu-ray that you haven't seen from the library. You could go to Half-Price books and buy for fairly cheap now the same thing on those formats or even VHS. Paying a premium for the content and convenience you want isn't a new concept. If you wanted movies and more risque shows back in the 80s and early 90s, you had to subscribe to cable and then pay extra for HBO, Cinemax, or Showtime. Or you had to pay for pay per view if you wanted to watch movies without a trip to the video store. When DirecTV came online, it offered even more options at a steeper cost. At one point, you had to pay extra for your local channels to be on your DirecTV lineup if you didn't want to keep doing OTA for those. Then if you wanted to skip commercials or record shows without a VCR or have more on demand options, you had to buy a Tivo and pay extra for their service. Then it was added to DirecTV for an extra fee. Nickel and diming the consumer for convenience isn't a new thing. 

It's amusing to me what we get up in arms about paying extra for. My kid said she didn't ask for new shorts this summer because they're all so expensive. I think the shorts she wanted were $50. We went and got two pairs because she was leaving on a summer school trip and needed them as she no longer could wear the old ones. I asked her, we pay how much each time we go to Chickfila or Raising Canes or our favorite Mexican restaurant or burger joint? Probably around what these shorts will cost. Chickfila is easily $40 now. Raising Canes is about $36. That's for one item we eat one time. You will wear these shorts all summer and maybe next unless you grow out of them. So why should you worry about us paying $50 for something you'll get a lot of use out of and need but you don't worry about the fast food meal you want us to get because you're tired of home cooking? I'll gladly pay $100 on the streaming services we pay for because we watch a lot of that content. As a family, on our owns, just the wife and me, the kids watch their own things. Why would I raise a stink about that content we choose to pay for, that we enjoy, and not the fast food dinner that's a hell of a lot more expensive that it used to be? 

And sure content has gone away from OTA and towards streaming services because that's where the money for those are. They previously could have loss leaders like the Wire that had quality writing and acting but maybe not a huge audience like what was required on OTA networks to stay afloat. That's going away as every studio is hurting after Covid and the strikes but some companies like Apple don't seem to care if they lose money on productions. But people are still watching the shows on OTA so there's a market there still. 

I think you bring up a good point here.  Americans seemingly have come to believe they NEED to have all these things.  For example, they go to Moody to see a concert, pay $150+ per ticket and then get a beer for $18 and a basket of shitty chicken tenders for another $18 and then complain about inflation.  No one is making them do these things.  We continue to consume and pay exorbitant prices for things and then sit there and complain that the prices are too high.  

• Hook 'Em 4

55 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think you bring up a good point here.  Americans seemingly have come to believe they NEED to have all these things.  For example, they go to Moody to see a concert, pay $150+ per ticket and then get a beer for $18 and a basket of shitty chicken tenders for another $18 and then complain about inflation.  No one is making them do these things.  We continue to consume and pay exorbitant prices for things and then sit there and complain that the prices are too high.  

I think it's reasonable to want to go and experience something cool and fun and cultural with a bunch of people. That used to be much less monetized, but private equity has strangled the third place to death

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Point being all that used to be reasonably priced.  

I’m sure their market research and algorithms say they make more money pushing further out on the demand curve, but at what cost?  You price families out of concerts, football, etc and you lose your next generation of consumers.

4 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I’m sure their market research and algorithms say they make more money pushing further out on the demand curve, but at what cost?  You price families out of concerts, football, etc and you lose your next generation of consumers.

People used to pay for CD's and such too, you take away one leg of the revenue stool, something has to make it up if you want touring acts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Yes, that's my point.  If the consumer would STOP paying these prices, presumably, the prices would have to come down.  But we don't because people are conditioned that they NEED to do these things.  I've been to thousands of concerts and all other kinds of events, but have only paid over $100 maybe twice.  

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

People used to pay for CD's and such too, you take away one leg of the revenue stool, something has to make it up if you want touring acts. 

This is also a good point.

2 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

Pay for CD's?  Nah, not while Columbia House and BMG were around. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yes, the American consumers unwillingness to hold corporations accountable by continually fucking themselves over instead of fucking the corporation over. It's the entire reason things are as fucked as they are. 

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Leftists fine with theft.

I’m stunned.

fucking scumbag 

We’re all about sticking it to the man.  What’s a better tribute than piracy?

Fucking bootlicker, simp.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

I recall being mad about that too.  Paid $20 for a Sammy Kershaw CD.  Most of mine were $2 uses CD’s though.  

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yes, that's my point.  If the consumer would STOP paying these prices, presumably, the prices would have to come down.

I’m convincing myself not to turn my Hulu on for CFB this fall.  The FOX/ABC games I’ll watch on bunny ears the rest I’ll just listen on the radio.

6 hours ago, JMFP said:

Pay for CD's?  Nah, not while Columbia House and BMG were around. 

especially if your nextdoor neighbor was at work when the mail was delivered.

38 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Matt Groening used to decorate his office with counterfeit Simpsons stuff.  He was quoted as saying "copyright infringement is the sincerest form of flattery".

On 5/29/2024 at 1:26 PM, Brisketexan said:

Translation: loser incel tech dorks who are already terrible at getting laid are going to get even WORSE at getting laid.

"Why won't she sleep with me?  I used all the best lines from my AI!  Stupid bitch!  Dumb Stacy, she probably wants a stupid Chad!  I hate women!"

Just imagine an AI earpiece feeding you lines, like in Sneakers

image.gif.69a2865cf130b71629c00fa8e2ad120a.gif

8 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

especially if your nextdoor neighbor was at work when the mail was delivered.

Matt Groening used to decorate his office with counterfeit Simpsons stuff.  He was quoted as saying "copyright infringement is the sincerest form of flattery".

"and i know it's fake because they have five fingers"

On 6/5/2024 at 2:29 PM, safe sex said:

This is my favorite painting in the entire Smithsonian museum system. I must have stared at it for over an hour. Some fukkin' anonymous early American rando painted this fukkin' gorgeous stag that stares so deeply into my soul that I want to weep. 

image.thumb.png.908b1c3f7c0dd770e5e55d562b72e029.png

I took this photo on my morning walk the other day.

IMG_2935.thumb.jpeg.df6bc64187c5459c244c940367ca3d88.jpeg

• Drool 1

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Strange that someone so self proclaimed successful would be proud of stealing. Maybe you’re just completely full of shit.