Everything is Shit: Tracking the Great Enshittening

956 Worldwide

On 6/14/2024 at 7:24 AM, HenryJames said:

Feels like 99% of tech now is just selling your data.

And then when our PII data is breached from shoddy controls, we're rewarded with credit fraud, spam E-mail, robocalls, and an insulting 12-month membership to another data broker's "credit monitoring service," as consolation.

Then the resulting class-action suit awards you $12.50 after plaintiff's fees are deducted.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

11 hours ago, immamac said:

Smart home says hi. I just don't see this going the way many anticipate. 

Of course it will be monetized.  Microsoft licensing Copilot subs for practically every product out front shoulda told you.  

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Shakespeare’s “Dick the Butcher” should’ve included the bean counters in his little rant 425+ years ago.

IMO the problem isn't that bean counters exist - we need budgeting and to know how much of what we have. It's that collectively, we have decided that financials are ALL that matters in any business decision. And that leads to the shortsighted decision making and enshittification that we all enjoy today and your great (great?) grandchildren will grow up thinking is normal

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

IMO the problem isn't that bean counters exist - we need budgeting and to know how much of what we have. It's that collectively, we have decided that financials are ALL that matters in any business decision. And that leads to the shortsighted decision making and enshittification that we all enjoy today and your great (great?) grandchildren will grow up thinking is normal

Financials are ALL that matters with the bean counters, lowly stockholders who don’t know what’s transpiring be damned.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Financials are ALL that matters with the bean counters, lowly stockholders who don’t know what’s transpiring be damned.

Well, financials for this quarter or fiscal year, which benefit the shareholders: the speculators, anyway, rather than long-term owners. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, financials for this quarter or fiscal year, which benefit the shareholders: the speculators, anyway, rather than long-term owners. 

Haha on your long term.  Focus is making your numbers this quarter.  Who cares if you ship out a bunch of non-working stuff, as long as you can invoice for it and claim revenue!  RMAs and warranty returns are the next guys problem!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Haha on your long term.  Focus is making your numbers this quarter.  Who cares if you ship out a bunch of non-working stuff, as long as you can invoice for it and claim revenue!  RMAs and warranty returns are the next guys problem!

Kinda like selling fake titanium to Boeing & Airbus.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Kinda like selling fake titanium to Boeing & Airbus.

It’s a doom loop, man.   You can’t vote against your own retirement stockholdings, but you know it’s the wrong long-term play.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Boeing_full_logo_svg.thumb.png.a67d226a34e59db6e2e02125ad456481.png

• Rage+1 1

Spoiler

Sick of scams? Stop answering your phone.

Experts and family members are begging you: Send any unknown call to voice mail.

(Illustration by Elena Lacey/The Washington Post)

The first rule of avoiding scam calls is to never answer unknown numbers, and even some known ones.

Curious? Bored? Worried it’s an emergency? Wait the extra minute it takes for the call to go to voice mail, then decide if it’s legitimate.

Unfortunately, every year hundreds of thousands of people in the United States either ignore that golden rule or are tricked into answering. According to the Federal Trade Commission, people lost $851 million to phone scams in 2023. After email, phone scams are the most common fraud method reported to the FTC.

I’ve been breaking the rule myself recently, out of professional curiosity and, yes, boredom. The most recent was the kind of common scam that could give anyone pause. The caller claimed to be from a generic-sounding company that wanted to send me an urgent document. I broke down some of their techniques:

Story continues below advertisement

• They used a number that was not flagged as a scam or telemarketer by the built-in features on my phone or from my carrier. It had a United States area code and didn’t pop up on a Google search.
  • They provided a different phone number and reference number to call them back. This is a gambit to gain trust and delays them asking for anything that would raise red flags.
  • They had enough personal information about my family to dismiss any concerns of being targeted at random. Thanks to constant hacks and breaches, most people have ample personal data that can be bought by scammers.
  • The caller said they were calling about a legal complaint, in an attempt to trigger panic in me. The more questions I asked, the more agitated the caller became, even sprinkling in veiled threats.

Eventually, I annoyed the man so much that he hung up on me (not a first). Here’s what we can all learn to avoid losing money and time to phone scams.

Learn to not answer your phone

Resist the urge to pick up that call unless is it an individual or small business you know personally and is saved in your contacts. This applies to unknown numbers, local numbers, and recognizable large companies or organizations.

“The deck is so stacked against you as a consumer when you’re responding to these types of phone calls,” said Michael Jabbara, Visa’s senior vice president of global fraud services. “I wouldn’t even put myself in that position, period.”

Your first defense is your phone’s contacts app. Since you should only answer calls from people and businesses you deal with regularly, make sure yousave them in your phone’s built-in contact app. Next, turn on the setting that sends all other calls straight to voice mail.

On an iPhone, go to Settings → Phone → Silence Unknown Callers. On an Android device, go to the Phone app → menu button → Settings. Most phones will have options for blocking numbers and caller ID/spam protection here.

“But my caller ID says it’s Chase Bank. Clearly, I need to answer,” you might say.

No, you still should not answer. Scammers have successfully compromised caller ID, making it unreliable. They use a technology called spoofing, which makes calls appear to come from real companies, your area code and even specific people you know. In some cases, they can mimic the numbers of people you know or your own number.

Scammers are testing AI tools to clone voices, but experts say these are still just a small amount of scams. If you’re concerned, come up with a password with family members that can be used to confirm their identity.

So you’ve answered the phone anyway …

Well, I tried. Let’s say you’ve answered the phone despite the warnings. Now what do you do?

Most people think they’re smart enough to outwit the scammer, but the criminals on the other end of the line are often counting on that.

“Don’t overestimate your ability to outsmart the fraudsters. This is their job. They make a living doing this — they’re highly motivated to be good at this job,” Jabbara said.

Listen for asks: If you haven’t already, memorize the red flags. If they ask for money, personal information or login information, it’s a scam.

Ask your own questions: You can ask questions to try to confirm their legitimacy. If they claim to be from a company you haven’t heard of, ask for the location and street address. Keep in mind that they can easily lie. They’re scammers, there is no oath or law requiring them to answer you truthfully.

Give them nothing: Even if your account was hacked and someone purchased $90,000 in sneakers, your credit card will not ask you to confirm your password, address or any other sensitive information.

Say you’ll contact them separately: Tell the caller you’ll look into it and contact them in your own way. If they need to give you information, tell them to mail it, but do not provide an address. A real organization, like a debt collector, will already have it, said Amy Nofziger, director of fraud victim support at AARP. If they push back, end the call.

“Most legitimate businesses that do need you will give you the safe way to get the information that you need,” Nofziger said.

As soon as you have the tiniest of doubts or concerns about a call, end it. Do not worry about being polite or missing out on something important. Anything legitimate — a stolen credit card, package delivery, outstanding debt — can be confirmed by contacting companies directly.

“Don’t trust and then verify. Verify and then trust,” Nofziger said.

If the caller said they were from a big company or bank, use trusted channels that you can directly access yourself, Jabbara said. If someone claims to be Visa, for example, take your card out of your wallet and call the number on back. You can also open the mobile app on your phone and look for alerts or contact information there.

Avoid Googling a company to find the customer service number, as scams can use SEO to get fake numbers high in the results and even convincing fake webpages.

Don’t just look out for yourself, talk to other people in your life who may be victimized by a scam. Offer to help them investigate or turn on settings that minimize risk.

Cool how we just let scammers take over.

IMG_6542.png

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Experts and family members are begging you: Send any unknown call to voice mail.

(Illustration by Elena Lacey/The Washington Post)

The first rule of avoiding scam calls is to never answer unknown numbers, and even some known ones.

Curious? Bored? Worried it’s an emergency? Wait the extra minute it takes for the call to go to voice mail, then decide if it’s legitimate.

Unfortunately, every year hundreds of thousands of people in the United States either ignore that golden rule or are tricked into answering. According to the Federal Trade Commission, people lost $851 million to phone scams in 2023. After email, phone scams are the most common fraud method reported to the FTC.

I’ve been breaking the rule myself recently, out of professional curiosity and, yes, boredom. The most recent was the kind of common scam that could give anyone pause. The caller claimed to be from a generic-sounding company that wanted to send me an urgent document. I broke down some of their techniques:

• They used a number that was not flagged as a scam or telemarketer by the built-in features on my phone or from my carrier. It had a United States area code and didn’t pop up on a Google search.
  • They provided a different phone number and reference number to call them back. This is a gambit to gain trust and delays them asking for anything that would raise red flags.
  • They had enough personal information about my family to dismiss any concerns of being targeted at random. Thanks to constant hacks and breaches, most people have ample personal data that can be bought by scammers.
  • The caller said they were calling about a legal complaint, in an attempt to trigger panic in me. The more questions I asked, the more agitated the caller became, even sprinkling in veiled threats.

Eventually, I annoyed the man so much that he hung up on me (not a first). Here’s what we can all learn to avoid losing money and time to phone scams.

Resist the urge to pick up that call unless is it an individual or small business you know personally and is saved in your contacts. This applies to unknown numbers, local numbers, and recognizable large companies or organizations.

“The deck is so stacked against you as a consumer when you’re responding to these types of phone calls,” said Michael Jabbara, Visa’s senior vice president of global fraud services. “I wouldn’t even put myself in that position, period.”

Your first defense is your phone’s contacts app. Since you should only answer calls from people and businesses you deal with regularly, make sure yousave them in your phone’s built-in contact app. Next, turn on the setting that sends all other calls straight to voice mail.

On an iPhone, go to Settings → Phone → Silence Unknown Callers. On an Android device, go to the Phone app → menu button → Settings. Most phones will have options for blocking numbers and caller ID/spam protection here.

“But my caller ID says it’s Chase Bank. Clearly, I need to answer,” you might say.

No, you still should not answer. Scammers have successfully compromised caller ID, making it unreliable. They use a technology called spoofing, which makes calls appear to come from real companies, your area code and even specific people you know. In some cases, they can mimic the numbers of people you know or your own number.

Scammers are testing AI tools to clone voices, but experts say these are still just a small amount of scams. If you’re concerned, come up with a password with family members that can be used to confirm their identity.

Well, I tried. Let’s say you’ve answered the phone despite the warnings. Now what do you do?

Most people think they’re smart enough to outwit the scammer, but the criminals on the other end of the line are often counting on that.

“Don’t overestimate your ability to outsmart the fraudsters. This is their job. They make a living doing this — they’re highly motivated to be good at this job,” Jabbara said.

Listen for asks: If you haven’t already, memorize the red flags. If they ask for money, personal information or login information, it’s a scam.

Ask your own questions: You can ask questions to try to confirm their legitimacy. If they claim to be from a company you haven’t heard of, ask for the location and street address. Keep in mind that they can easily lie. They’re scammers, there is no oath or law requiring them to answer you truthfully.

Give them nothing: Even if your account was hacked and someone purchased $90,000 in sneakers, your credit card will not ask you to confirm your password, address or any other sensitive information.

Say you’ll contact them separately: Tell the caller you’ll look into it and contact them in your own way. If they need to give you information, tell them to mail it, but do not provide an address. A real organization, like a debt collector, will already have it, said Amy Nofziger, director of fraud victim support at AARP. If they push back, end the call.

“Most legitimate businesses that do need you will give you the safe way to get the information that you need,” Nofziger said.

As soon as you have the tiniest of doubts or concerns about a call, end it. Do not worry about being polite or missing out on something important. Anything legitimate — a stolen credit card, package delivery, outstanding debt — can be confirmed by contacting companies directly.

If the caller said they were from a big company or bank, use trusted channels that you can directly access yourself, Jabbara said. If someone claims to be Visa, for example, take your card out of your wallet and call the number on back. You can also open the mobile app on your phone and look for alerts or contact information there.

Avoid Googling a company to find the customer service number, as scams can use SEO to get fake numbers high in the results and even convincing fake webpages.

Don’t just look out for yourself, talk to other people in your life who may be victimized by a scam. Offer to help them investigate or turn on settings that minimize risk.

IMG_6542.png

I haven't had voicemail in years. just haven't activated it. 

you really need me? text me. what year is it where people are still answering unexpected calls? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

Heather Kelly

(Illustration by Elena Lacey/The Washington Post) The first rule of avoiding scam calls is to never answer unknown numbers, and even some known ones.

IMG_6542.thumb.png.b0785bda88aeae47b36b6b3b37e16812.png

Lobbyists have fought any ideas to truly regulate and enforce against them. Nobody is on our side, nobody is going to help us.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Lobbyists have fought any ideas to truly regulate and enforce against them. Nobody is on our side, nobody is going to help us.

The extremely weak will of the American consumer is the reason for all their problems. You know what happens with real boycotts based on getting fucked for the actual product instead of outrage for politics? Product changes.

Lobbyists aren't the problem. The government doesn't need to protect us, no one is forcing this shit on us, we (collective) are the problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The extremely weak will of the American consumer is the reason for all their problems. You know what happens with real boycotts based on getting fucked for the actual product instead of outrage for politics? Product changes.
Lobbyists aren't the problem. The government doesn't need to protect us, no one is forcing this shit on us, we (collective) are the problem. 

When the people are relentlessly scammed at a rate literally 50X what it used to be, come on. I do r excuse the gullible, but the assault is unceasing. One will break through every once in a while.

Make each spoofed call subject to a fine of $500k, and have such fine apply to every individual involved in the chain of the call (technical experts who help set it up, the people who make the call, the people who finance it, any “legit” business that benefits from it (I’m calling about duct cleaning, and we’re in your area doing roof work, etc), enforced and recoverable in civil court (read: plaintiff’s lawyers can file suit), and they’ll drop off a cliff.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When the people are relentlessly scammed at a rate literally 50X what it used to be, come on. I do r excuse the gullible, but the assault is unceasing. One will break through every once in a while.

Make each spoofed call subject to a fine of $500k, and have such fine apply to every individual involved in the chain of the call (technical experts who help set it up, the people who make the call, the people who finance it, any “legit” business that benefits from it (I’m calling about duct cleaning, and we’re in your area doing roof work, etc), enforced and recoverable in civil court (read: plaintiff’s lawyers can file suit), and they’ll drop off a cliff.

Thats a symptom. The disease is everything all around us is a scam. The reason it is this way is because Americans are too stupid to stop letting everything around them be a scam because working with honest people who charge fairly is too inconvenient. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

I haven't had voicemail in years. just haven't activated it. 

you really need me? text me. what year is it where people are still answering unexpected calls? 

Tell that to my company that just allowed us to start texting in the past year and still pooh-poohs everything except phone calls for customer interaction. 

Make phone calls cost a penny. You make a call you pay a penny. You get a call you get a penny. Most legit users will roughly break even. But any place that relies on making a million calls before the coffee is cold are dead.

On 6/11/2024 at 9:37 AM, Frank Drebin said:

I would add how long it takes and how expensive it is to build any sort of infrastructure these days.

And the cost of construction period.

I’ve been swimming in raw sewage. I love it.

(But if infra could get built faster, I wouldn’t have had to swim in raw sewage). 

On 6/17/2024 at 10:38 PM, immamac said:

Lobbyists are still a problem.  Both can be true.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

first we pay for nothing, then we pay for no ads, then we pay for premium, then we get annoying AI added for free, then we pay for premium AI, then we pay for no AI. watch it - we will ultimately pay to NOT get a service from these assholes. you want a human and not a robot that pretends to be a human? yeah, sorry that's extra.

I don't get starbucks very often, but several years ago I drove up to what I thought was "the fake voice" / automated order taker - fuck that, I drove off.

I will move to an island and open a tiki bar and play Jimmy Buffett on a fucking repeating play list for the last 20 years of my life before I get drug into this hellscape.

I'm "this" close to going to a dumb phone - I think texting is the only feature besides the old school phone call that I need on my phone. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, troph said:

first we pay for nothing, then we pay for no ads, then we pay for premium, then we get annoying AI added for free, then we pay for premium AI, then we pay for no AI. watch it - we will ultimately pay to NOT get a service from these assholes. you want a human and not a robot that pretends to be a human? yeah, sorry that's extra.

I don't get starbucks very often, but several years ago I drove up to what I thought was "the fake voice" / automated order taker - fuck that, I drove off.

I will move to an island and open a tiki bar and play Jimmy Buffett on a fucking repeating play list for the last 20 years of my life before I get drug into this hellscape.

I'm "this" close to going to a dumb phone - I think texting is the only feature besides the old school phone call that I need on my phone. 

Look do you want to increase shareholder value or not, you fuckin pinko

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, troph said:

Agreed, but I like the camera feature - gotta take pics of the food at the restaurant. 
And apps like Waze and the weather radar can be very useful.

The rest of that crap is…..crap.

Wait…you’ll look at pictures of boobs in…regular old paper magazines? No man, I’m not going back like that.

I did finally get Pandora to create a decent playlist for the type of music I was aiming for - Chose John Prine as the station and then liked a Waylon Jennings song and a Tom Waits song. Like I said earlier, whether I chose Dylan or Waits or Cash or The Eagles, it was playing the exact same songs 40 songs.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I went to a dumb phone about a year ago. I lasted about 3 months because of the texting. It’s…..  so much difference going back to that style of texting. 

it drove me crazy. You might have different results, so good luck if you decide to go that way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

The Blackberry circa 2008 or so is about the sweet spot.  I loved that phone.  Easy as hell to type on -- I used to type long ass legal memos or email responses when needed.  Battery lasted forever.  Durable and no need for case.  You could access the internet for necessities but the interface was shitty enough that there was no way you would be staring at it all day.  Good mapping feature.  If you could add music to it, I would go back to it in a heartbeat.

• Hook 'Em 2