Joe Biden 2024 thread - Dark Brandon Where Art Thou?

StassneyHorn

I'm an old man, I'm confused.  Can you tell me where I live?

some kinda stealing batteries joke in here somewhere.  But goddamn inflation, we can't even replace the ones in the kids' christmas toys already.  

20 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Garland's mistake wasn't not forcing Hur to alter the report, it was in picking Hur in the first place.

Agreed.  I am sure when he read the report, he struggled with releasing it and rued the day he appointed a "bipartisan" special counsel.

An article on lawfare talking about how the SC rules are flawed, references another article explaining the flaws in more general terms.  https://www.lawfaremedia.org/article/the-special-counsel-regulations-strike-again

If Hur was going to tell the attorney general that he declined to prosecute President Biden, then I believe he was also obligated to explain his rationale. The very nature of the decision to decline to prosecute includes Hur’s assessment of the putative defendant (Biden) and how Biden would fare at a criminal trial, including in front of a jury, if he chose to take the stand. Would Biden come across as forgetful? As sympathetic? As willful? As dissembling? As honest? These are crucial determinations prosecutors make all the time about witnesses and defendants. Indeed, I cannot imagine writing a report to the attorney general and not including these assessments.

I think it is unfair to Hur to leap to a conclusion that he intended to act as a partisan. It is an easy accusation to make and a difficult one to prove, and it would be at odds with the Rob Hur that I know. But I do think some criticism of the language Hur used is fair. Though he is obligated to write the report and include his assessments, and though the decision to release the report belongs to the attorney general, Hur must have known that his report would inevitably be released. The attorney general has long said that he is inclined to release such reports, to the extent the law permits. 

I disagree with the article's premise that Garland overrelies on the Special Counsel rules, citing the Pence investigation.  He's right that the rules are just rules and can basically be ignored, unlike a statute (which can also be ignored, but it's more conspicuous).  But the Pence investigation is not a good comparison because Pence was not a candidate at the time it opened or concluded.

A Special Counsel arrangement is probably good government, but the prior statute was controversial and sunsetted, leaving DOJ to make these rules.  Because the rules are there, a straight shooter like Garland is going to follow them, even if he doesn't have to.

On 2/12/2024 at 1:22 PM, Boss Hogg said:

That 6% indy number is pretty surprising. 

A president who is twice impeached, bungles an once in a century global pandemic, denies he lost / denies reality, and leads an insurrection that led to the storming of the capital the likes we haven't seen in 200 years....

The Studio Better Than I Thought GIF by BLoafX

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

CPI falls from 3.4 to 3.1 annual rate, and the market shits it pants over a tenth of a percentage point.

Because of this.  Which means March rate cuts aren't happening.  Which means valuations are too high.  Thanks for coming to my Ted talk

Instead of a relatively lame video complaining about snack prices, Biden should get the CEOs of some of these food/beverage companies to co-announce with him that they're suspending all prices increases for the remainder of 2024.

I know those CEOs don't want to wade into the politics of standing next to Biden, but they also don't want to be called out directly by POTUS as being un-American.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I know those CEOs don't want to wade into the politics of standing next to Biden, but they also don't want to be called out directly by POTUS as being un-American.

They could put a picture of Hitler on the bag and people would still buy Doritos. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Because of this.  Which means March rate cuts aren't happening.  Which means valuations are too high.  Thanks for coming to my Ted talk

all the reporting i've heard is don't expect a rate cut before may and has been for months.  i guess there was some irrational exuberance that there would be a cut in march and this put that to bed? 

the big mover here is shelter, which is 36% of the index.  owner's equivalent rent (25.44% of the CPI) was up 6.2% yoy while rent rent (7.671%) was up 6.1%.  the way the BLS calculates these is somewhat controversial and famously laggy.

on top of that, the fed really can't do much about it.  higher interest rates leads to lower supply, both because builders are going to build fewer new units with their cost of capital going up, and because owner-occupied units have golden handcuffs.  at the same time there's lower demand because the price of money went up.  in that situation the only thing you know for certain is that the quantity will be lower, you do not know if the price will be lower (turns out that, right now, it isn't). 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

all the reporting i've heard is don't expect a rate cut before may and has been for months.  i guess there was some irrational exuberance that there would be a cut in march and this put that to bed? 

the big mover here is shelter, which is 36% of the index.  owner's equivalent rent (25.44% of the CPI) was up 6.2% yoy while rent rent (7.671%) was up 6.1%.  the way the BLS calculates these is somewhat controversial and famously laggy.

on top of that, the fed really can't do much about it.  higher interest rates leads to lower supply, both because builders are going to build fewer new units with their cost of capital going up, and because owner-occupied units have golden handcuffs.  at the same time there's lower demand because the price of money went up.  in that situation the only thing you know for certain is that the quantity will be lower, you do not know if the price will be lower (turns out that, right now, it isn't). 

yes, the 'market' has effectively been attempting to force the Fed's hand by bidding up financial assets in anticipation of a rate cut in March.  Didn't really make sense given how far away we are from the 2% number the Fed wants.  

Any chance of March rate cuts went bye bye on Feb 2 thanks to huge BLS jobs report. 

The CPI report pushed first rate cut back from May to June

image.png.0d4f7b42f4961788dfec9da829f31f9d.png

They are using forward guidance to let the market down easy.  

At the same time, in no way does the Fed want to repeat the mistakes of Arthur Burns. They don't want to rate cut too early and let inflation spike back up, because having to raise rates again would do huge damage to consumer confidence. So they can keep it here for a long time until they are super duper sure inflation is down to 2%

• Hook 'Em 1

Just say it.  The stock market has responded to my presidency, and every penny of that has gone into your pockets, unlike my enemy, and your enemy, Donald grift Trump, who steals from anyone and everyone to line his own pockets and stiffs everyone.  He’s a shyster, a con man, a fraud. And has a tiny mushroom penis.  He’s a typical tiny dick Republican.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

James Comer is having a rough one.

Oh.  You seem to think that facts actually matter to these people.

I remind you that their greatest cause and crusade is "THE 2020 ELECTION WAS RIGGED," yet they have failed to provide any actual evidence -- not one single fucking piece -- in support of that cause, including a court filing from just this week where they flat-out said "yeah....we don't have any."  Facts don't matter.  In fact, they only piss them off.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh.  You seem to think that facts actually matter to these people.

I remind you that their greatest cause and crusade is "THE 2020 ELECTION WAS RIGGED," yet they have failed to provide any actual evidence -- not one single fucking piece -- in support of that cause, including a court filing from just this week where they flat-out said "yeah....we don't have any."  Facts don't matter.  In fact, they only piss them off.

Trump won’t allow them to ignore his directive to impeach Joe and prosecute Hunter, despite there being no evidence. They have less free agency than the Branch Davidians.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Poll was STOLLEN! 

The Rankings were RIGGED!

LAST IS FIRST!  UP IS DOWN!  

honestly though, despite all my history and political science courses, i just never got the fascination with Woodrow Wilson.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The Poll was STOLLEN! 

honestly though, despite all my history and political science courses, i just never got the fascination with Woodrow Wilson.  

Historian bias for presidents who “win” wars?

51 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The Poll was STOLLEN! 

And he was an inveterate racist to boot.

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

And he was an inveterate racist to boot.

Inveterate Racist?  You're really not gonna like some of the other U.S. Presidents before/after him then.  

I was just at the LBJ School/Library  earlier today for the annual Barbara Jordan forum.  Like my feelings on Wilson, I'm still not a fan of LBJ.  But one thing I appreciate about his final years is he basically said "I am a flawed man.  These are my archives.  This is my legacy.  For better or worse, let people learn from my mistakes and my achievements."  The majority of our 46 Presidents were out and out racists.  Was it a product of their times?  Do some get a pass for at least trying to reach out to people of color or end slavery or engage the marginalized?  You students of history can sort that out yourselves.  But I will give LBJ credit for setting the standard of pouring every thing into his library for the world to see and hear and read, for better or worse.  In the end, he acknowledged his flaws like no other President before him.  I suspect Biden will do the same.  And the Waffle House library cafe at the Trump Presidential Library will be the site of the most violent bowel movement I will ever have as an adult.  They're gonna have to drop napalm on it to get the filth out.  

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Inveterate Racist?  You're really not gonna like some of the other U.S. Presidents before/after him then.  

I was just at the LBJ School/Library  earlier today for the annual Barbara Jordan forum.  Like my feelings on Wilson, I'm still not a fan of LBJ.  But one thing I appreciate about his final years is he basically said "I am a flawed man.  These are my archives.  This is my legacy.  For better or worse, let people learn from my mistakes and my achievements."  The majority of our 46 Presidents were out and out racists.  Was it a product of their times?  Do some get a pass for at least trying to reach out to people of color or end slavery or engage the marginalized?  You students of history can sort that out yourselves.  But I will give LBJ credit for setting the standard of pouring every thing into his library for the world to see and hear and read, for better or worse.  In the end, he acknowledged his flaws like no other President before him.  I suspect Biden will do the same.  And the Waffle House library cafe at the Trump Presidential Library will be the site of the most violent bowel movement I will ever have as an adult.  They're gonna have to drop napalm on it to get the filth out.  

Waffle House inside the Trump Presidential Library? I think you have that backwards. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I’ll take LBJ’s brand of racism over Wilson’s any day of the week:

Before the election of President Woodrow Wilson, Black Americans worked at all levels of the federal government. But when Wilson assumed office in 1913, he mandated that the federal workforce be segregated by race—leading to the reduction of Black civil service workers’ income, increasing the significant income gap between Black and white workers, and eroding some of the gains Black people had made following Reconstruction.

https://newsroom.haas.berkeley.edu/research/how-woodrow-wilsons-racist-segregation-order-eroded-the-black-civil-service/

• Like 1

Informant also told authorities of Russia’s plans to sabotage this year’s presidential election:

https://apnews.com/article/hunter-biden-fbi-informant-joe-biden-ef48c7543e7a45cd3b8b671d0e2f60e5

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A former FBI informant charged with making up a multimillion-dollar bribery scheme involving President Joe Biden, his son Hunter and a Ukrainian energy company had contacts with officials affiliated with Russian intelligence, prosecutors said in a court paper Tuesday. 

Prosecutors revealed the alleged contact as they urged a judge to keep Alexander Smirnov behind bars while he awaits trial. He’s charged with falsely reporting to the FBI in June 2020 that executives associated with the Ukrainian energy company Burisma paid Hunter and Joe Biden $5 million each in 2015 or 2016. The claim has been central to the Republican impeachment inquiry in Congress.

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Joe Biden 2024 thread - Dark Brandon Where Art Thou?