Joe Biden 2024 thread - Dark Brandon Where Art Thou?

StassneyHorn

13 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Well said.  I just want to be clear, the slogan shouldn't be contracted "We're", it should always be spelled out in ads and banners as "WE ARE not going back."  

We are a flawed nation of mistakes and sins.  Sometimes we take 5 steps forward, and then another 5 forward.  Sometimes we take 5 steps forward and 6 steps back.  Just how history works for any country run by humans.  

And when my daughter sees that slogan for the first time in the coming days, and asks "Why doesn't she want us to go back?."  the solemn answer will simply be, "Because we can't."  

Then I start on my rant about how the people trying to take us back aren't skipping a day, so neither can we.  That's about the time my wife usually walks through the room and rolls her eyes like "again with this shit?"  She doesn't despise Trump as much as I do, but she certainly hates him.  But I know deep down she was disappointed that her family never embraced Joe's faith (they are devout rural midwestern Roman Cathholics), and his sense of decency; and their flippant support of Trump.  I don't bring up anything about my admiration of Joe nor condemnation of Trump around them, which works out well because nobody can hear me with FoxNews on at Volume 80/100 every fucking waking minute at the holidays.  November with them gonna be lit.  

Thank Joe, your long watch is coming to end.  Feel free to fuck some shit up on the way out, we got you fam.

You to block Fox with parental controls and report back.

I actually do that in my own home.  Since we cut the cord, you have to go and download each cable news channel manually.  So we don't block the channel, we block the ability to download the smartTV app (or whatever its called) as this blanket policy we have because we don't want the kids downloading pay apps or age inappropriate stuff.  And they totally get that.  So they'll sit quietly in another room and watch it on their phones/tablet, which is fine---you can't hear those things across the house like you can our main TV.  

But I'm referring to when we meet them all in Fort Worth as they arrive from points North.  Or when we go all the way back to wife's hometown.  From the moment the first person wakes up to start the coffee until the last person goes to bed, the main TV in each home is set to 50-75% of maximum volume and to FoxNews.  They'll change it for a holiday football game, but otherwise----it's just a running loop of nonsense at ear-bleeding levels.  Not judging, I have family members that do the same thing.  You know how like you can stay on the same channel but the commercials will be one volume level, and the main show is another, and then the next show is another volume level altogether?  With their target demographic, why doesn't Fox just push out a louder audio signal so people don't have to jack up their TV's so loud, especially the commercials for Trump Grift Schwag and Jim Bakker soup buckets? 

The saddest thing, or perhaps Fox's greatest trick, is that they can sit there and other than food and bathroom breaks, watch 12 straight hours of FoxNews.  they hear all the same talking points and soundbites over and over and over again, just said by different hosts at different times of day.  And never catch on to the pattern.  If I tell you some made-up shit you wanna hear at a bar, you may remain a tad skeptical.  But if you hear the same thing from an older relative, a friend at church, a fellow parent at school dropoff, a co-worker, a nice stranger out in public, a younger blonde relative, and your local newspaper's gossip column...well then you put your own mustard on it and carry it around with you as gospel.   

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

GDP is actually higher now than pre-pandemic projections:

We're in the middle of it so it's easy to get lost in the weeds, but this is a fucking incredible economic recovery in a very short amount of time that nobody else around the world has really come close to matching.  To the limited extent that executives really have influence on their economies, the Biden administration's economic stewardship might be the best the planet has ever seen.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

it means people spent far less on costly longer lived things like cars, refrigerators, furniture......

it's actually boeing and tesla

(not sure how something can be down 127%)

It is the first decline in durable goods after four straight gains and was driven by a 20.5% drop in transportation orders. Nondefense orders plummeted 127%.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/durable-goods-orders-fall-sharply-in-june-after-four-straight-gains-3fc36c14

Core capital goods orders, which exclude volatile sectors like transportation and defense, rose 1% last month after a 0.9% fall in May.

And shipments of core capex orders up 0.1% in June.

Big picture: Business investment is struggling. Year-over-year, durable orders are down 10.3%. That's the largest drop since June 2020.

so month to month up (but maybe noisy).  business investment is down but there were also some pandemic tax changes that allowed expensing which are being phased out so i wonder if its not so much struggling as standing pat

Starting in 2022, businesses were to start amortizing research expenses over five years. Beginning in 2023, equipment and other short-lived investments were to lose 20 percent of their expensing deduction each year through 2026. The loss of full expensing and five-year amortization of research expenses could deny businesses as much as 28 percent of the real value of their investment deductions, making new investments in American workers more costly.

https://www.cato.org/briefing-paper/expensing-taxation-capital-investment#

Edited by elfenix

On 7/25/2024 at 10:46 PM, ConferenceRoom said:

Sales commission, bye-bye-o. 

I’m Janice Mayo…I am the walrus…strange fact the average male walrus penis is the inverse of pi divided by the length of said walrus tusk…Walrus? As in Craig Stadler?  I actually met Craig Stadler at the Austin Golden Retriever Foundation charity dinner. Great guy./YGIFs

• Haha 2

Sigh. Maybe, but not from team Brisket. The boy is flying back to the UK today…took them over an hour to get to the airport, even on alternate routes. I guess the good thing is that the flight will be delayed 20 mins or so because of the ground stop when Biden departs.

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Boy’s flight was delayed an hour because the flight crew couldn’t get to the airport. Annoying, but whatever, makes for a story.

And....the rest of our family has been amusing ourselves with the boy's plight this morning (him, not so amused).  Delay meant that his connection to get to Scotland was tight.  He made the flight.  His bag did not.  He's grumpy as shit, has to go back to the airport in 4 hours to get his bag (or, they'll deliver it to him sometime tomorrow).

Bottom line, THIS IS BIDEN'S AMERICA!!!

I couldn't find an inflation/price gouging thread. Since so many people try to pin "inflation" on Biden, I figured I'd put this here:

Just got my car insurance renewal. I live in Austin and drive relatively sparingly and I don't have a mileage tracker in my car. My rate went down 31%. I didn't change coverage. I didn't hit an age milestone. I have no accidents to wipe from my record. But somehow magically it costs $700/year less to insure me? Something is fucky here. I'm glad for the reduction, but it's still suspect.

Makes me wonder how many other places we'll see staggering and sudden price drops. Hopefully one day we'll get the real story on what happened (spoiler: it was fucking legalized price gouging)

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I couldn't find an inflation/price gouging thread. Since so many people try to pin "inflation" on Biden, I figured I'd put this here:

Just got my car insurance renewal. I live in Austin and drive relatively sparingly and I don't have a mileage tracker in my car. My rate went down 31%. I didn't change coverage. I didn't hit an age milestone. I have no accidents to wipe from my record. But somehow magically it costs $700/year less to insure me? Something is fucky here. I'm glad for the reduction, but it's still suspect.

Makes me wonder how many other places we'll see staggering and sudden price drops. Hopefully one day we'll get the real story on what happened (spoiler: it was fucking legalized price gouging)

This is pretty atypical, and there's some more data on an insurance thread on Can You Help Me With This forum...but you're the outlier. Everyone's car and home insurance rates are going way, way, way up. Mine went up 40%, I haven't filed a car insurance claim in a decade.

You're a big outlier here. Ask C-man, I won't link himm in the CR but he works in insurance. I asked him to give me a quote for homeowners and he basically said "Nope, can't do it." I've never filed a homeowners insurance claim. But I live in a flagged zipcode, apparently. 

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is pretty atypical, and there's some more data on an insurance thread on Can You Help Me With This forum...but you're the outlier. Everyone's car and home insurance rates are going way, way, way up. Mine went up 40%, I haven't filed a car insurance claim in a decade.

You're a big outlier here. Ask C-man, I won't link himm in the CR but he works in insurance. I asked him to give me a quote for homeowners and he basically said "Nope, can't do it." I've never filed a homeowners insurance claim. But I live in a flagged zipcode, apparently. 

curiouser and curiouser 

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I had the same experience when re-upping my car insurance, they voluntarily provided a reassessment that dropped the price considerably.

Home insurance did go up a few hundred with a different provider, but our home keeps going up in market value every year, so it's makes some sense. Insurance is a different animal compared to common goods and services though, there is no scarcity of product, it's just a simple equation of their costs vs what they charge everyone in the risk pool. I could see those companies saying "if everything else is going up in price, why not insurance too?" And then high giving each other while taking shots and throwing 100s at the strippers on their super yacht. 

16 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I had the same experience when re-upping my car insurance, they voluntarily provided a reassessment that dropped the price considerably.

Home insurance did go up a few hundred with a different provider, but our home keeps going up in market value every year, so it's makes some sense. Insurance is a different animal compared to common goods and services though, there is no scarcity of product, it's just a simple equation of their costs vs what they charge everyone in the risk pool. I could see those companies saying "if everything else is going up in price, why not insurance too?" And then high giving each other while taking shots and throwing 100s at the strippers on their super yacht. 

this was just my normal renewal. I didn't even know it was time/coming. got an email saying my rate went down and curious chased it down to that revelation. seems like an awfully big correction to be anything that I may have done to affect the rate. I could also be looking for something that isn't there, but it is curious

Props to Administration and military in looking to close the 9/11 trials by agreeing to deals with 3 of the 9/11 terrorists. CNN story

We're 23 years removed from the tragedy and 21 years since KSM was arrested. Given the torture/interrogation with him, he was never going to have a trial to our standards. I gather he and the others accept guilt of the 3K murders, and we take the death penalty off the table. We might have thrown in some improved prison situation as well.

I'm not advocating that we open the doors of the jail but we need closure on the Gitmo detainees. It's not an American value to hold people indefinitely like we've done.

I'm sure Biden and Harris will take heat from Trump in that he would have strung KSM up. Of course, he didn't in his 4 years.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

Joe Biden is a bad ass. 

Didn't you refer to him as a drooling idiot (or something similar) like a month and a half ago? And the entirety of July until he dropped out? 

Just now, Js1 said:

Didn't you refer to him as a drooling idiot (or something similar) like a month and a half ago? And the entirety of July until he dropped out? 

Mushbrain? Both can be true. He's old AF 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 12:20 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I just significantly upgraded my truck (insuring an additional ~60k) and it went up 7$.  I was expecting a smoove buttfucking. Gruntled.  No claims or tickets in last 23 years but still  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Reporter: "Former President Trump has said he could bring these people home without major concessions, what do you say to that?"

Biden: "Why didn't he do it while he was President?"

Dotard in 3...2...1... "..they were released b/c they know im going to win"

• Like 1