Joe Biden 2024 thread - Dark Brandon Where Art Thou?

StassneyHorn

My understanding is that Biden has a historically low approval rating (especially amongst youth and hispanics) and no incumbent has managed to win re-election with such numbers.  He's also trailing trump in multiple polls, unlike 2020 where he didn't exactly win in a landslide.  I know polls were bullshit last mid-terms predicting a red wave but still seems like Biden is in bad shape at the moment.

9 minutes ago, Todd Gack said:

My understanding is that Biden has a historically low approval rating (especially amongst youth and hispanics) and no incumbent has managed to win re-election with such numbers.  He's also trailing trump in multiple polls, unlike 2020 where he didn't exactly win in a landslide.  I know polls were bullshit last mid-terms predicting a red wave but still seems like Biden is in bad shape at the moment.

is that what people are saying?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

18 minutes ago, Todd Gack said:

The polls are 100% accurate that 68 year-olds who answer their land lines are trending Trump.  Do not dispute.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

I'm legitimately curious what write-in candidate he thinks meets every one of his beliefs. There will almost never be a candidate that perfectly aligns with one's beliefs. You still vote for the one the better fits, or even if you hate both, the one that isn't under 91 criminal indictments, who has been determined by a jury to have committed rape, and who is less likely to launch an insurrection and attempt to declare himself a dictator.   

Putin.  

• Like 2

On 1/27/2024 at 1:50 PM, aggie08 said:

I would love to hear what the non-MAGA demographics wish that he was or wasn't doing.

On 1/27/2024 at 3:09 PM, DigglerontheHoof said:

I really don't get the low approval numbers.

Foreign policy maybe playing a part? We're in the midst of a global shitshow. 

I have some news for Grandma Anti-Trumper - Trump is claiming the success of the stock market.

The same one he said would tank if Biden was elected president. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 1/29/2024 at 1:38 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

@Anastasis convinced me.
Don’t blame me! I’M voting for Jesco White.

You might consider “decency”? Or try “pax Americana”?  Be sure to use the quotes if you do the latter  

Looks like we’re about to be wheels up on attacks against Iran/proxies. 

I am sure given that he has pledged to strike at a time and place of our choosing, he’s had enough time to get the appropriate congressional authorizations. 

Edited by Anastasis

To strike back, he doesn’t need it. Our base was attacked.

It (War Powers Resolution) provides that the president can send the U.S. Armed Forces into action abroad only by declaration of war by Congress, "statutory authorization", or in case of "a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces".

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/29/2024 at 11:59 AM, Todd Gack said:

What kind of a name is Todd Gack anyway?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 9:25 AM, BeardIP said:

Is Biden going to bomb Iran or nah? Why aren't we talking 'bout dat?

59 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

To strike back, he doesn’t need it. Our base was attacked.

It (War Powers Resolution) provides that the president can send the U.S. Armed Forces into action abroad only by declaration of war by Congress, "statutory authorization", or in case of "a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces".

Bunch of right-wingers on social media are bitching that Biden shouldn’t rush to try and associate the Iranian-backed militias with….Frank Stallone Iran.

11 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

There is no declaration of war. There is no statutory authorization. There is no national emergency here. This latter is self-evident by the WH's own statement And have no doubt — we will hold all those responsible to account at a time and in a manner our choosing. 

Look, I don't like the fact that we have troops stationed in Qatar, Iraq, Syria, on the Iraq/Syria borders in Jordan, UAE, etc. But we do. They threw something at us, we need to throw something back. The response should be targeted, appropriately weighted, and leave a mark. And it should also be authorized as appropriate by congress. This is not a national emergency situation. To argue such is completely divorced from reality, so right on the mark for American ME policy generally.

This appears to be dragging out, so maybe they are trying to navigate how to save face without triggering outright escalation, or maybe they are running things through the appropriate process. Either way, hopefully there is a signal there and we can avoid escalation.     

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

There is no declaration of war. There is no statutory authorization. There is no national emergency here. This latter is self-evident by the WH's own statement And have no doubt — we will hold all those responsible to account at a time and in a manner our choosing. 

Look, I don't like the fact that we have troops stationed in Qatar, Iraq, Syria, on the Iraq/Syria borders in Jordan, UAE, etc. But we do. They threw something at us, we need to throw something back. The response should be targeted, appropriately weighted, and leave a mark. And it should also be authorized as appropriate by congress. This is not a national emergency situation. To argue such is completely divorced from reality, so right on the mark for American ME policy generally.

This appears to be dragging out, so maybe they are trying to navigate how to save face without triggering outright escalation, or maybe they are running things through the appropriate process. Either way, hopefully there is a signal there and we can avoid escalation.     

bombing of enemy targets happens weekly, no need to showboat over 3 deaths. 

56 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The response should be targeted, appropriately weighted, and leave a mark. And it should also be authorized as appropriate by congress.

Sounds great, and I would agree, but too many Republicans in Congress have made it publicly known that their actions/votes in Congress are framed not as “will this help America” or “is this the right thing to do” but “will this help Joe Biden” or “will this hurt Trump”.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sounds great, and I would agree, but too many Republicans in Congress have made it publicly known that their actions/votes in Congress are framed not as “will this help America” or “is this the right thing to do” but “will this help Joe Biden” or “will this hurt Trump”.

Abdicating their constitutional role in terms of authorizing military actions benefits congresspeople from both parties. The welcome the consolidation of the power to the executive branch cause they prefer to not be on record with a vote that could be used against them during campaigns. I am not sure that the GOP members are going to be a major barrier to clear when it comes to bombing Iran, though. 

On 1/28/2024 at 9:07 AM, Anastasis said:

Some of y’all should legit be committed. 

Adherence to this political system is a mental illness. Enjoy the forced choice between two senile geriatrics. Best we can do. Over and over again. Our politics fail us, until we decide differently. 

Putin-boy.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m rejecting this system that you all say is so decent. I’m writing in a candidate, and that candidate is “Jennifer Connelly as she appeared in “The Rocketeer” and who is also the same type of libertarian as me.” I will never compromise my beliefs. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Abdicating their constitutional role in terms of authorizing military actions benefits congresspeople from both parties. The welcome the consolidation of the power to the executive branch cause they prefer to not be on record with a vote that could be used against them during campaigns. I am not sure that the GOP members are going to be a major barrier to clear when it comes to bombing Iran, though. 

Or we could, you know, just retaliate.  

Why do you get to decide what is and is not a national emergency? Three soldiers were killed on American soil by a foreign entity. That needs to be dealt with swiftly before it becomes an all out war. I’d say avoiding another all out war IS an emergency.

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

Why do you get to decide what is and is not a national emergency? Three soldiers were killed on American soil by a foreign entity. That needs to be dealt with swiftly before it becomes an all out war. I’d say avoiding another all out war IS an emergency.

Words have meaning. If the WH itself says we will respond at the time of our choosing, it is by definition not an emergency situation. If there is time to get the matter in front of congress, it should follow the appropriate constitutional process.  

Edited by Anastasis

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I look forward to leftists on twitter ignoring this one, too.

Biden has found ways to forgive billions in student loans. With a B. And even with those he's fighting conservatives because they are taking him to court AND taxing the individuals for receiving a govt benefit. But it's true that he cannot forgive as much as he wants.

I do find fault with him that I never hear him go after the real culprit: rising college costs. He might say that we need to make school more affordable but I haven't seen him do anything. I'm sure there is plenty of Biden support in higher education so it's not easy to go after their money.

• immamac changed the title to Joe Biden 2024 thread - Dark Brandon Strikes Again
  • immamac changed the title to Joe Biden 2024 thread - Dark Brandon Where Art Thou?