Joe Biden 2024 thread - Dark Brandon Where Art Thou?

StassneyHorn

39 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Cletus can’t afford lamb shanks and such as you eat.  Shits expensive.  Maybe you give a little so other people can have dolmas?

Lamb shanks are among the cheapest cuts on the animal. They take more time and finesse. But the result is worth it. And I cook far more deer shanks vs. lamb shanks. But tell me more from your keyboard.

BTW. No disrespect. I still use the sausage spreadsheet you shared a while back as the basis of most of my game sausage production. 

I understand that this board is basically a vehicle for lashing out.  

Cletus can afford a $100+ cell plan,  $120+ cable/streaming subscriptions. 6$ Beers at TGI Fridays.   Multiple TVS.   $800 Truck payment and the insurance on it.   But then he has nothing left and it’s the government’s fault.  Ok.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Cletus can afford a $100+ cell plan,  $120+ cable/streaming subscriptions. 6$ Beers at TGI Fridays.   Multiple TVS.   $800 Truck payment and the insurance on it.   But then he has nothing left and it’s the government’s fault.  Ok.  

MAGA: shit's so expensive these days, inflation sucks, Bidenomics sucks! 

Also MAGA: Oh look, honey.  Trump's selling more $99 dollar trading cards, I'm buying more to add to my collection. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, G650 said:

https://corporate.walmart.com/news/2024/08/15/walmart-releases-q2-fy25-earnings

Don't look shitty companies if you want to go that route

Who do you think fails when an economy slows down?  I am not predicting collapse nor claiming the macroeconomic environment is very poor.  I do believe there is a lot of stress at the lower and middle income levels.  Walmart has said as much in its last few quarters.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/15/business/walmart-earnings-consumer-economy.html

The retail giant raised its forecasts as it attracted bargain-hunting shoppers strained by inflation, drawing in high-income households in particular

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/walmart-customers-behaving-strangely-making-122818871.html

On the call in mid-November, Rainey first hinted at shifting consumer behavior, saying: “We see our customers showing ongoing discretion in seeking value to manage within their household budget.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

I do believe there is a lot of stress at the lower and middle income levels.  Walmart has said as much in its last few quarters.

That's a legitimate position, but it doesn't obviate comsumer spending is in fact rising, if constrained. Walmart is serving the same segments as Dollar General, they are just doing it well. DG is a case study in stupidity with their strategy the last 10 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

DG is a shitty store that lives at the fringes of WMT.  If a town is too small for Walmart that’s what they get.  Tractor supply serves many of the same areas and actually seems like they have their shit together.  So I don’t think this is a consumer issue but a shitty company.  But big brains can disagree.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

and the broader point is GDP growth and stock market values and low wage job creation isn't 'the economy' for the working class. outside of political forums people don't care about how the economy is doing for the wealthy.  before i get lambasted again, let me say i'm not blaming Biden for any of it.  Just wouldn't use 'economy is great' as a talking point imo.  would go more towards the "i feel your pain" message if it were me.

Agree. I know a lot of 1%er Democrats who actually believe that middle class people are somehow wrong or lying about their own lived experience because people at the top of this economy have been spared the brutal economic and standard of living compression of the upper middle class in particular over the last 16 years*.

*from a structural standpoint it actually started in the mid 80’s, but the technological revolution of the 90s-2000’s effectively replaced the older upper middle class with a new one, in different locations, more able to claim a larger share of productivity gains. So one upper middle class was flattened between 1982-1994, a new one was built between 94-08, and has been likewise flattened since. 

What is comes down for a worker is this- how much of the economic value of your labor do you receive in the form of income, and do you have equity in the accrued value of your own work?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, G650 said:

That's a legitimate position, but it doesn't obviate comsumer spending is in fact rising, if constrained. Walmart is serving the same segments as Dollar General, they are just doing it well. DG is a case study in stupidity with their strategy the last 10 years.

On the way back from Balmorhea a few weeks ago I drove through some dying oil patch town where 3/4 of the storefronts were boarded up, the asphalt was turning into gravel, all the vehicles were F250’s with aftermarket wheels and there were TWO Dollar generals within 100 yards of each other. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

12 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Lamb shanks are among the cheapest cuts on the animal. They take more time and finesse. But the result is worth it. And I cook far more deer shanks vs. lamb shanks. But tell me more from your keyboard.

BTW. No disrespect. I still use the sausage spreadsheet you shared a while back as the basis of most of my game sausage production. 

I understand that this board is basically a vehicle for lashing out.  

True.  We could all take a deep breath, think about the question asked or the fact posited, and deal with that, rather than our briefcase full of past grievances.  

But that’s no fucking fun!

• Like 1

Joe with horrific arthritis in all his joints from all those years driving a truck…fighting Cornpop with chains and rusted razors …human chaining himself to protesters at Selma….and of course the hard, physical demanding laborious years in the Senate.

On 8/30/2024 at 9:57 AM, Brisketexan said:

Weren't you paying attention?  Just yesterday, Trump said he was going to end inflation, and bring grocery prices way down!

Sure, he didn't say HOW.   But he said that.  He also promised that math class would be replaced by recess every day, and the school cafeteria would serve pizza and ice cream all five days of the week, for free.  So, he's got my vote!

TFG has got the brightest minds in the world working on how to make all of that happen, two weeks from now.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Does anyone know Why hasn’t Biden ended the tariffs on China? They have not been touched since Trump installed them.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2024/09/10/us-protectionism-biden-trump-tarrifs-harris-china/

Biden even increased them on certain goods.  The idea seems to be to reduce dependence on Chinese imports.  Even if it hurts us.

Whatever you think of tariffs, Trump clearly does not understand them and attempting to finance programs using tariffs is pure idiocy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://foreignpolicy.com/2024/09/10/us-protectionism-biden-trump-tarrifs-harris-china/
Biden even increased them on certain goods.  The idea seems to be to reduce dependence on Chinese imports.  Even if it hurts us.
Whatever you think of tariffs, Trump clearly does not understand them and attempting to finance programs using tariffs is pure idiocy.

Thank you. I agree that Trump is a moron on all things. I just had not seen why Biden has kept them.

On 9/11/2024 at 7:54 AM, Goofyboy said:

Thank you. I agree that Trump is a moron on all things. I just had not seen why Biden has kept them.

Whether Biden's policy is wise, particularly keeping Trump's, which were broader-based (as opposed to targeted to certain things like EVs), is another question altogether.

Also, I have seen some scholarly things that indicate the main effect of tariffs is not to even the trade balance overall, but to shift it to other foreign low-cost providers, like Vietnam, etc.  

Edited by TwiceHorn