2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

12 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Getting our asses handed to us in The Woodlands right now.

Darkest I’ve ever seen the sky during a thunderstorm.

No rain inside the loop yet, but it's nearly completely pitch black outside my office window. I've never seen it this dark at 1:30 in the afternoon in my life. 

12 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

No rain inside the loop yet, but it's nearly completely pitch black outside my office window. I've never seen it this dark at 1:30 in the afternoon in my life. 

b96495b3c5229628568483850083cd83.jpg
Yep. Scary shit. Hail hitting the top of your car as you sit in standstill traffic is not fun.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

I am downtown and agree - never seen it this dark in the daytime before.  It's night here.

Some weather nerd-dom.  I did not know what a "derecho" was until the storm a few weeks ago in Houston but Bentonville, Arkansas had another one.  110mph winds for about a two mile radius for 15-20 minutes:

Information from the National Weather Service about the storm damage from Decatur, Centerton, Bentonville, & Rogers....
“**NWS Tulsa Meteorologists Currently Surveying Storm Damage From The May 25-26 Long-Track Tornadic Supercell**
The National Weather Service Office in Tulsa OK is currently conducting storm surveys from Rogers County, Oklahoma, eastward through Carroll County, Arkansas.
Damage produced by this long-track supercell was extensive, including high-end straight-line wind damage from its rear flank downdraft, as well as tornado damage, some of which has already been confirmed in the strong category (EF2 and EF3).
These surveys began Sunday 5/26, and will continue for the duration of today, and likely for at least a couple more days.
🌪️ A tornado developed northeast of Owasso in Rogers County, moved through Claremore, and then likely dissipated northwest of Pryor, in Mayes County. Much of this damage path was surveyed yesterday. EF2 damage was found in Claremore, and EF3 damage was found east of Claremore. The tornado continued to produce EF2 damage as it moved into Mayes County, with extensive tree damage. It destroyed a mobile home less than a mile from the county line where two fatalities and four injuries occurred. We expect to finalize this damage path today with further surveys.
🌪️🌪️Two tornadoes occurred in and near Salina, in Mayes County. We confirmed EF1 damage in both tornado tracks yesterday, and expect to finalize these tornado paths today with further surveys.
🌪️🌪️Two tornadoes occurred near Decatur, in Benton County, Arkansas. We surveyed some of the track of one of the tornadoes yesterday, and found EF3 damage northwest of town. This tornado likely began in eastern Delaware County, Oklahoma. We hope to finalize these paths today.
🌪️🌪️We surveyed some damage west of Centerton, in Benton County, Arkansas. Based on radar data and damage patterns, there were likely two tornadoes that occurred in that area, including one that produced EF2 damage.
💨Extensive straight-line wind damage occurred across Benton County, including this area, into Bentonville, and across portions of Rogers into the War Eagle area.
Tornadoes also occurred at times in those area, to the north of where the straight- line wind damage occurred.
Based on our survey yesterday, combined with review of radar data, we believe the fatality that occurred in a mobile home east of Rogers and near Beaver Lake was the result of straight-line wind damage from the rear flank downdraft. Estimated wind speeds in that area were 80 to 95 mph based on the extensive tree and home damage.
Final assessments and details for some of these tornadoes, including results from our damage surveys, will be issued late this evening when we return from today`s surveys, and will be updated over the coming days as more surveys occur.”

The radar signature on this storm was the strongest rear-flank-downdraft (RFD) I’ve ever seen.
So much so, you can tell in the video playback how I’m questioning the data display? It didn’t seem right to me that the radar was showing me winds from RFD at 110mph.
I think much of the damage in Bentonville & Rogers was from an extreme RFD wind event. It’s equivalent to an EF2 tornado over a broad, large area. The straight-line winds are worse than a tornado would have been.
There were no doubt circulations that developed on the line. Walnut & 8th is a good example of what I think was tornado damage.
Regardless… it’s safe to say winds over 100mph carved a path across Benton Co with the most extensive damage since the 2019 Tornado, 2009 Ice Storm or 2006 Tornado.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Was dark and windy in Austin. Then it got really sunny with not a cloud in the sky. This force field fucks 

I'm just south of the blob that was trying to build over Georgetown. It got real dark and super windy with big thunder claps, then just....vanished. 

22 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

75mph winds in heights. Still meh compared to two weeks ago

Wasn't 105 but 75mph picking up all the branches, debris, etc. still around and flinging it around the road was kind of shitty while driving home from the gym through Timbergrove.

I hope that lady and her baby in the stroller made it home okay.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Henry Hill said:

Fucking hell. Everyone get out ok?

Yup.  My cousin's house up in Wylie got hit by lightning two weeks ago too.  Tore a hole from the roof to the floor.  Fire and water damage.  Insurance estimated >$500k in damages.  They are living out of a hotel right now.

29 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Was dark and windy in Austin. Then it got really sunny with not a cloud in the sky. This force field fucks 

If there’s a silver lining to be had, it seems like the humidity has been greatly reduced. Feels pretty damn nice outside right now

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Am I mistaken, or was that first round through Austin kinda unexpected? When I looked this morning, I thought I only saw storms expected this evening

So the weather folks say, but feel like energy was zapped and now it will probably be a non-event this evening. Lakes hope I am wrong. 

1 minute ago, Hollywood said:

So the weather folks say, but feel like energy was zapped and now it will probably be a non-event this evening. Lakes hope I am wrong. 

So they are going to call it over and San Marcos will flood.

315K currently without power in the Houston area. We made it a whopping 5 days between power outages. 

Today's affair should be fixed up much quicker, but man, Summer 2024 is already starting to wear out its welcome, and it's still several weeks away from starting.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Basil said:

I am downtown and agree - never seen it this dark in the daytime before.  It's night here.

That was crazy. The windows in my building were shaking a bit. I’ve never seen it that dark during the day. I couldn’t see the convention center or Discovery Green and I am right next to them.

FBMS and OFE had power failures.  34th and Ella also was out when I drove past.   

I guess the bubble gum and bandaids on the powerlines didn't hold for some areas.  

10 minutes ago, Hate said:

That was crazy. The windows in my building were shaking a bit. I’ve never seen it that dark during the day. I couldn’t see the convention center or Discovery Green and I am right next to them.

I have a vivid memory of a brutal storm in Houston like 50 years ago - I actually remember when my mom picked me up from whatever preschool/church deal I was at, that all of the kids were freaked out by how it was night-dark in the middle of the day.  It made a real impression on me, and I only remember seeing it get that dark maybe a couple of other times my whole life.  It's freaking eerie.

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I have a vivid memory of a brutal storm in Houston like 50 years ago - I actually remember when my mom picked me up from whatever preschool/church deal I was at, that all of the kids were freaked out by how it was night-dark in the middle of the day.  It made a real impression on me, and I only remember seeing it get that dark maybe a couple of other times my whole life.  It's freaking eerie.

Tahoe Horn, is that you?  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Am I mistaken, or was that first round through Austin kinda unexpected? When I looked this morning, I thought I only saw storms expected this evening

19 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Just thought this was worth it, since we got something that was not forecast at all, and completely turned the day around weatherwise, FWIW.

Is this a put-on?  What rain in Austin are y'all talking about?  It got really windy and cloudy briefly but then, nothing.  No Rain.  Hyrdomet out front shoulda told ya...

image.png.2d973c511d1ac54ba5cd90619b98db3c.png

Edited by utee94

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

Wasn't that the name of the town in Buffy, the Vampire Slayer? The hellmouth?

Do you remember the "Green Storm" that ripped the roof off the Jefferson County airport and pretty much ended commercial flights for several years? That's what some of these storms remind me of. I was in middle school at Edison, and we all had to go in the hall and face the wall with our heads down through the worst of it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

If Wunderground is to be believed, they expect border control to handle it. Rain chances in Austin dropped from guaranteed to schmaybe

Just checked. Up to about 90%, so not going to happen.