2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

33 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Do you remember the "Green Storm" that ripped the roof off the Jefferson County airport and pretty much ended commercial flights for several years? That's what some of these storms remind me of. I was in middle school at Edison, and we all had to go in the hall and face the wall with our heads down through the worst of it. 

I vaguely remember a tornado from when I was at Tyrell, which would've been in the mid to late 80s, when we had to all sit in the hallway like you said, but I can't remember any others. My parents mentioned a storm from 1983-ish where there was a tornado outbreak that did a bunch of damage.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, austingirl said:

I vaguely remember a tornado from when I was at Tyrell, which would've been in the mid to late 80s, when we had to all sit in the hallway like you said, but I can't remember any others. My parents mentioned a storm from 1983-ish where there was a tornado outbreak that did a bunch of damage.

The 83 storm was the one I'm talking about. I was in 7th grade, I think. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posting because this was kind of unusual in.. not 'posta happen.

Last night's version of strong storms which have essentially been parked all week along a frontal boundary straddling TX/OK border running NE into AR, MO and IA set off a strong outflow boundary (a buncha cold air pushing down the storms and out, i.e. S/SW towards us) which like a blowdryer simply pushed all the unstable, smoky, muggy air outta CenTex and replaced it with dry air. It kicked up some storms but not nearly the activity that it could have... I think one reason is that the boundary whooshed by so fast (it kinda took on a life of its own rolling down the state) that storms simply didn't have much of a chance to build - at least here (east of us there was a larger chunk of Gulf stanky moist air, and the boundary wasn't as fast-moving there and had time to kick up some mess).

Once the wind started whooshing by me at 40 mph I knew something was weird... it was supposed to be muggy most of the day, but suddenly it's 83° and sunny (after a brief light shower). I wasn't expecting a strong front coming in, but that's pretty much what happened... this outflow boundary got so much punch it essentially acted like a major front. Simply pushed out all the muggy air and the atmosphere got much more stable (and capped). Definitely not the way this afternoon was supposed to look (but I'll take it).

As a result, the severe weather forecast for most of CenTex has been downgraded - the atmosphere is nowhere nearly as unstable this morning. However, the heat of the day combined with storms forming N of us and moving S is still a possibility. However, most of the worst is now forecast to be NE of the Austin area. Chances are good that no rain will come out of this for many in ATX, more likely the farther E/NE you live from Austin.

Frankly I'll take it. I know rain is a precious commodity right now, but the severe setup for this evening wasn't very reassuring - good chance of very strong winds, a few tornadoes, and hail in a good part of the are (3 out of 5 "enhanced" risk). Now it's 2 out of 5, which basically means less chance over your house in particular. It could still throw a severe storm or 2 in the area, but a 2 is a lot less worrisome than a 3. Also, some good chances of rain all week so not completely hopeless.

Just thought this was worth it, since we got something that was not forecast at all, and completely turned the day around weatherwise, FWIW.

PHD making a showing to confirm force field still in place
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, looks like it is breaking up around Canyon. WTF is up with that? Micro forcefield?

The sky peed on my house for a brief moment. Well, it was more of a spritz as if the sky was an old man that sneezed too hard and let out a few drops.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, looks like it is breaking up around Canyon. WTF is up with that? Micro forcefield?

I'd like to take credit but it's probably the vast amount of new cali fart clouds in the NB area that neutralize the atmosphere or something. They all realized that Austin is not the prime place to move so now we see Austin getting rain. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I'd like to take credit but it's probably the vast amount of new cali fart clouds in the NB area that neutralize the atmosphere or something. They all realized that Austin is not the prime place to move so now we see Austin getting rain. 

Damn good light show in 666. But nothing heavy yet.

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

Grateful for the rain and actual weather beyond weeks of straight sunshine hellfire…but these midnight thunderstorms fucking with my kids sleep makes everyone miserable (78613).  

I’m not digging the severe wind and flickering lights.  This month has been shit for Texans.  

2 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

That was some loud ass fucking thunder last night. Lost power for <minute. Not sure how much rain we got down in 78748 but it sounded like a good dousing 

I’m over just south of Westgate and Slaughter and it was 1.24 inches at the Shady Hollow station.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

My wife and daughter are in SA for the night. It must be them. They are the forcefield. 

I'll deal with them later. Yall can thank me then. 

IMG_1735.webp

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

When I first started watching it I didn't note who it was and thought "who is this idiot?"

Then I saw it was Reed and it all made sense.

First comment from youtube: "Serious question. How the heck do you still get car rental companies to rent you cars???"

Reed's response: "It is difficult these days."

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

315K currently without power in the Houston area. We made it a whopping 5 days between power outages. 

Today's affair should be fixed up much quicker, but man, Summer 2024 is already starting to wear out its welcome, and it's still several weeks away from starting.

Ended up losing power at my house from about 2:30 to 7:30. Wife was freaking out b/c she was reading anywhere from 24-48 hours from people posting on the Ring app. 

Sounds like there are a couple pockets of GOOF that are still without power this morning. Got some trees down in an easement and had to wait until sunlight to get a vegetation crew out this morning.

This is just way too fucking soon after the last round. A good chunk of our neighborhood lost power for 4 or 5 days after the derecho. Less than a week after getting resotred it happened again. 

10 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I was on Canyon Lake last evening in my boat.  We got out just before all hell broke loose.  Wind, rain, lightning, etc.  It stormed for about an hour and a half here.  2.5" in my rain gauge in the back yard this morning.

That said, the Canyon Lake force field is definitely a thing.

9 out of 10 big blobs heading right for us either evaporate from radar or split in half and go around right before they get here.  Like clockwork.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Ended up losing power at my house from about 2:30 to 7:30. Wife was freaking out b/c she was reading anywhere from 24-48 hours from people posting on the Ring app. 

Sounds like there are a couple pockets of GOOF that are still without power this morning. Got some trees down in an easement and had to wait until sunlight to get a vegetation crew out this morning.

This is just way too fucking soon after the last round. A good chunk of our neighborhood lost power for 4 or 5 days after the derecho. Less than a week after getting resotred it happened again. 

Username kinda checks out.

• Like 1

It looks like Austin (Camp Mabry area) is actually running almost 1.5" ahead of average rainfall for the year so far.  (Average annual rainfall thru May is 14.87", and the closest LCRA gauge I can find to Camp Mabry is currently showing 16.28".)  A tiny bit of good news . . .

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I was on Canyon Lake last evening in my boat.  We got out just before all hell broke loose.  Wind, rain, lightning, etc.  It stormed for about an hour and a half here.  2.5" in my rain gauge in the back yard this morning.

ef9c6a77ea531fa1876617988adb0e23.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, Homercles said:

Grateful for the rain and actual weather beyond weeks of straight sunshine hellfire…but these midnight thunderstorms fucking with my kids sleep makes everyone miserable (78613).  

Like Eddie Rabbit, I love a rainy night, but I do remember how much it sucked when my kids were little and storms kept them up to the point it kept me up. Hope you all get some sleep tonight.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I wish I could have been there to see the reaction when they pulled in to Avis to return that rental. 

I'm guessing he gets the extra cost damage waiver every time & the counter salesperson gets an un-knowing smile as they swipe that ✔️ on their sales board.