2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Drop cedar logs across the log. Incorporate into the landscape. I had to do that on 11 acres. Slowly it became real cool once the wildflowers took over.

have any pics?

One time my ex and I - in our late 20’s and after some really traumatic Church shit found ourselves personally alone we lost a ton of relationships - and we were in the mountains of southern Utah and happened upon this gorgeous alpine meadow at elevation late in the afternoon with a chill in the air and it was that moment I felt like we would be ok - and in that iteration of my and our life it was true.

But the point here is the wildflower meadow is one of nature’s most powerful scenes. The Shawshank redemption scene when Red walks through the field and the butterflies are all around? Yeah I cry in that scene every time. 

we have a small area behind our house that is still wild and there is a portion that is meadow-like and it’s great to enjoy and see the insects thriving and the deer exploring for tasty treats. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, troph said:

have any pics?

One time my ex and I - in our late 20’s and after some really traumatic Church shit found ourselves personally alone we lost a ton of relationships - and we were in the mountains of southern Utah and happened upon this gorgeous alpine meadow at elevation late in the afternoon with a chill in the air and it was that moment I felt like we would be ok - and in that iteration of my and our life it was true.

But the point here is the wildflower meadow is one of nature’s most powerful scenes. The Shawshank redemption scene when Red walks through the field and the butterflies are all around? Yeah I cry in that scene every time. 

we have a small area behind our house that is still wild and there is a portion that is meadow-like and it’s great to enjoy and see the insects thriving and the deer exploring for tasty treats. 

On some computer back up drive somewhere. But yeah, it is not hard to set up.  I was clearing the cedar so decided to use it. Look at the water run off. Any barrier planted around is useful. Just please do not use oleander. I hate that poisonous plant.

• Haha 1

This is just getting beyond stupid in Dallas.   Had to be 3 inches in about 45 minutes here in NE Dallas.  Downtown taking it now and has to be a fucking mess.  I don't think I've ever seen this much rain in less than a week.  Luckily drainage I put in after 2019 flood seems to be holding up great in problem spots but beyond over this shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This is just getting beyond stupid in Dallas.   Had to be 3 inches in about 45 minutes here in NE Dallas.  Downtown taking it now and has to be a fucking mess.  I don't think I've ever seen this much rain in less than a week.  Luckily drainage I put in after 2019 flood seems to be holding up great in problem spots but beyond over this shit. 

I was up riding my bike at Oak Point Preserve in Plano this afternoon and the sky got reeeeeally ominous all the sudden so I booked it back to my truck. The heavens opened shortly thereafter and by the time I got back into my neighborhood the streets were flooding. Tired of this.

I was driving from Sherman to Fort Worth. Decided to head down back roads vs. 82. Glad I did. Was still bad. Visibility was about an eight of a mile, wind was blowing me all over the place. Hail just north of me according to the reports. Lucked out with that.

About 20 miles from Denton had to pull off due to the wind. Finally hit I35W and traffic was going about 20 mph, with the exception of a few idiots. Felt bad for all the 18wheelers heading north. Dad lives in Sherman and said they were hammered once again. Took out a few of the plants I just put in. Guess I am heading back next weekend. Will take a Mae West with me next time.

This

Untitled.jpg.a643be42e2e03342561f3a81f8a3e2e1.jpg

Not this.

Untitled-1.jpg.58279623e5389b78fc5db40a2c7fb63d.jpg

But one can wish.

Glad everyone is safe.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It's never going to rain again.

I don't know how we shift this pattern out of DFW area to down south.   Looks like we have more headed our way later this afternoon.  Just ridiculous at this point.

12 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Can't say we've had enough rain to scale back the drought response.  I mean, we're not nearly out of it... not even close.

Nah, everyone needs to wash their cars, water their St. Augustine, Powerwash their driveways, etc... Its all good. Oh, and the grid will be fine in late July.

Believe Harrison Ford GIF by Indiana Jones

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

23 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Nah, everyone needs to wash their cars, water their St. Augustine, Powerwash their driveways, etc... all good. Oh, and the grid will be fine in late July.

Believe Harrison Ford GIF by Indiana Jones

It’s irrational bullshit that car washing isn’t allowed. Enforce using a self closing nozzle on the hose and the 2 bucket method. With all the mega users out there, it pisses me off that I might get reported for the once or twice a year I want to hand wash my cars using a low water method. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, B00M said:

It’s irrational bullshit that car washing isn’t allowed. Enforce using a self closing nozzle on the hose and the 2 bucket method. With all the mega users out there, it pisses me off that I might get reported for the once or twice a year I want to hand wash my cars using a low water method. 

We will pay for your fine.

23 minutes ago, B00M said:

Use ONR and one bucket and wash whenever the hell ya want.

Do it while wearing a banana hammock, an American flag tank top, flip flops and with some Skynrd blasting from a vintage RCA boombox and I'd say no one is gonna report shit.

This is still 'Merica.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Rainclouds pushing toward Austin from the rare northeastern direction.  We'll see if the FF is taken by surprise or not...

That was weird as shit. A straight line being pushed at us from the NE.  First, windows rattle from the wind, then blowing rain.  Still raining downtown.

Edited by Brisketexan

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Better than this shit.  Sunday night near some place called Vigo Park, Tx. 

7.25".  Record.  Old: 6.4".

image.thumb.png.0064fad9b81bf6856e7a7dd87551811b.png

image.thumb.png.6c4ebbdf5e0af4c64dd78d72afca295d.png

lakitu up in the clouds

image.png.f373f7f6cd6b3c0cd0696328ef032afc.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Ok I had to look this up. We are in a repeating loop of mesoscale convective systems. Anyone know what’s triggering it?

I've heard Mesoscale Convective Systems are looking to IPO this year. Might want to take this new info to the stonks thread. 

• Haha 3

I don't know how we shift this pattern out of DFW area to down south.   Looks like we have more headed our way later this afternoon.  Just ridiculous at this point.

Yeah. Another 2” here in the last 24hrs. Then when it cleared up yesterday afternoon, 90deg and a dew point of 82 for a 106 heat index.

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I've heard Mesoscale Convective Systems are looking to IPO this year. Might want to take this new info to the stonks thread. 

I dunno, I heard that their vision-centric approaches to maximizing the synergies of AI in the stack were not going as well as hoped, causing some to doubt their blue sky projections.  Proceed at your own risk.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Just enough rain to make it muddy and raise humidity. Nice.

I don't know about where you are, but at my place it took the humidity down and actually made it pleasant to be outside. 

• Like 1