2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

Interesting post from Meteorologist Jeff Lindner just now.

“Port O Connor has recently gusted to 52mph and Matagorda Channel to 51mph in association with the meso low east of Rockport.

Gusty winds will spread toward the Palacios and Matagorda/Sargent areas over the next several hours.”

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Looks like only 2021 saw us get through July without a significant net drop in water levels. This is the only significant net increase in water level in July that I can remember. It never rains like this in July. 

It's definitely, extremely rare.

We had decent rains in July 2016, although the real heavy rains that increased the lake by over 30 feet fell the month before, in June.

We also saw heavy rainfall and flooding in July in 2007, I remember that one quite well as it closed down the lakes for periods of time from high bacteria levels.

The one I remember before that was June/July 1997 because it also closed down Lake Travis and Lake Austin for several weeks.  At the time my boat was trailered so we went out to Buchanan for much of that summer.

Apparently we also had quite a bit of water in July 2002, I don't really remember that one for some reason.

Anyway if you're interested in historical lake levels by year and by month, this site has it:

https://www.golaketravis.com/waterlevel/

• Hook 'Em 2

Ended up just being 30 minutes of rain here, but got about 1/3rd" in that time.  Wide spacing between the droplets but they were large to quite large.  We're just under 2 miles from the nearest LCRA recording station on Town Lake.  Curious to see what they measure.  

It looks like we're done for the day, with tomorrow hovering around 20-30% most of the day.  Same for Saturday, but picking up serious steam latenight into Sunday.  Please use one of those days fellow Austinites, to empty out any standing water on your property to avoid mosquito orgies.  this is July, not some Brisket conversation pit swing-joint.  Sunday looks like the last bountiful rains of July.  Muggy as hell this month, but we got a lot to show for it.  And onto to August, sitting there...just waiting to suck.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/24/2024 at 12:33 AM, Anastasis said:

Highs in the 80s and rain in the forecast in late July in central Texas. What a world. 

You can thank me. I installed a massive pool cover to keep the water temp under 90 (like it was last summer). 

Since I put it up, Austin temps haven't gone over 100 and its rained 10+ times.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Fuck this rain.  

Negged.

Maybe we need a Central Texas specific rain thread, and then a rain thread for all the other schlubs, so that I don't ever have to read such blasphemy again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Fuck this rain.  Houston is approaching the normal rainfall for the year and it’s still July.  

I’d rather have this rain instead of the alternative. As long as the tropical stuff stays away, I’m not going to complain.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, HouTex said:

Fuck this rain.  Houston is approaching the normal rainfall for the year and it’s still July.  

I am going to respectfully disagree with this take.  And I was without power in Houston for 8 days and at the office for 6 days.

11 hours ago, smwhorn said:

I am going to respectfully disagree with this take.  And I was without power in Houston for 8 days and at the office for 6 days.

Well, two more inches and still coming down.  I hope it rains more where it is needed, but I’ll say it again.  Fuck this rain.  I want eight weeks of no rain.  

Just now, HouTex said:

Well, two more inches and still coming down.  I hope it rains more where it is needed, but I’ll say it again.  Fuck this rain.  I want eight weeks of no rain.  

Starting to feel like a fucked up version of PNW over here.  Except we have a bunch of water oaks instead of redwoods. 

5 hours ago, Hate said:

I just got home from vacation since Monday and dumped out 8 inches of rain.  I'm sure we has more than that, but that is as much as the gauge can hold. 

How does the gauge hold that length?