2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

43 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Welp so much for mowing the yard this morning.  Brief downpour in 78748.

Yeah, that surprised me.  Of course, it's move-out day on West Campus, so I'm sure my son and I will get doused.

23 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Pop Tv Please GIF by Schitt's Creek

I don't know if I've ever seen it rain for 7 days in a row at the end of July.  Ever.  Usually, by now the grass is brown and feels like walking on broken glass.  Won't lie though, the temps have been sweet.  

• Hook 'Em 1

It was classic forcefield yesterday watching two separate, solid walls of rain move from the south up toward Austin and then just evaporate when they got near the city limits.  With a spoon.

On 7/28/2024 at 9:18 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

I don't know if I've ever seen it rain for 7 days in a row at the end of July.  Ever.  Usually, by now the grass is brown and feels like walking on broken glass.  Won't lie though, the temps have been sweet.  

yes had to take advantage of 71 degree days to dig a 100' trench to carry away the foot of standing water in the backyard

3 hours ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

yes had to take advantage of 71 degree days to dig a 100' trench to carry away the foot of standing water in the backyard

Did the same here. Still have standing water in my yard. Been using a submersible pump to move the water from some low spots in the yard 

This is a very pleasant surprise.  Sky went weird and pressure dropped, but just slightly about 1:00p.  Light rain started at 1:30p.  Now an absolute deluge.  .4"+ in just 30 minutes with it getting heavier (we're just SW of downtown).  Some faint thunder to our South. 

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

Two cells converged right on top of the city.

Forcefield is a pansy.

You arrogant ass.  You've killed us! 

Letting up now, but thunder getting more robust to the East & South. First drop hit almost one hour ago and we're at 0.7'

35 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

had three extremely close lighting strikes about 5 mins ago in 78757.   the kind that crack almost before you see the flash of light

yeah this easily lasted 40+ mins and it wasnt a little sprinkle it was cow pissing on a flat rock wet. 

5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

With this group maybe distance and compass direction from either campus or a strip club.

78757 is the yellow rose zip code. the club is in the lower right edge of the zip code, goes west to mopac and north to 183 crossing over

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DaysOff said:

I'm still supposed to know all these fucking random zip codes? Lat long coordinates would be more helpful.

Yeah, I’ve been here a long time and I only know where maybe a half dozen zip codes are.  Mostly because I don’t mail a lot of letters nor steal people’s CC#. 

Our zip code is sprawling as far as surface size so it can be very misleading.  We live just a few blocks over from a little municipality that has a reporting station shared with LCRA just a stone’s thrown from Town Lake. I usually use that and average It with the kids weather kit (not terribly accurate but good Enough nuff) in the backyard to figure our precip,pressure, wind, dew point, etc

Mabry is way too far north for us.  abia may as well be bastrop for accuracy. Even the ‘central ‘ weather station for our zip code is several miles away and up on a very tall hill way above our heads.  /csb

And then we pay attention to the highland lakes water table or burn ban/creek-river levels If we’re going fishing or camping.  Rest is just a noise making industry doesn’t know what the hell it’s doing.