2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

2 minutes ago, hornian said:

I don't know about where you are, but at my place it took the humidity down and actually made it pleasant to be outside. 

It did for a bit, but the heat of the day is just starting. No biggie, will still be working outside on a few projects.

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Where did this storm come from? I don't recall seeing any rain in the forecast this week, much less a 400-mile wide blob stretching from Austin to Lafayette and up to Nacogdoches.

image.gif.9a84a3f153b0106781f93a3a7946e18a.gif

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’ll rain like fucking crazy near Bastrop because my kid is camping out there this week.

Lost Pines?  Scout camping at their place iced the idea of returning for another year of scouts for my son.  Hot as balls and giant tree limbs falling all night long, just looking to crush people.  No thanks.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dogbreath said:

In Castroville for a week. Got 3” the Alsatian ladies love it. Just might be able to swim in the upper Medina later this week. 

Get out of my hometown, you cretin. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hornian said:

Get out of my hometown, you cretin. 

I feel at home here in Little Alsace since I had an ancestor by the name of Hequembourg.  Although it could have been a wily Scot who  took the name to advance his silversmith business. Or a kindly Alsatian couple that adopted someone from “The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization”.  

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Lost Pines?  Scout camping at their place iced the idea of returning for another year of scouts for my son.  Hot as balls and giant tree limbs falling all night long, just looking to crush people.  No thanks.

Bingo. Storm moving through Bastrop as we speak.

I did Scout Camp at Lost Pines for 3 years, back then only really wealthy troops considered leaving the district for merit badge camp.  High Adventure camps were different, but just for merit badge camps, it was Lost Pines or maybe Tahauya.

My son's troop, on the other hand, has done the mountains in Colorado and New Mexico the past two years to miss out on the heat and misery.  Lucky bastages.

This year they're doing Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, in fact they're there right now.  It's definitely going to be warmer and way more humid, but still nothing like the inferno that is Bastrop in the summer.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Bingo. Storm moving through Bastrop as we speak.

Not rare for bastrop during the summer when I first moved out there in 2000. Even got coastal showers. Came back from the middle east and no more. Of course then we got the fires.

Fun times.

26 minutes ago, utee94 said:

This year they're doing Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, 

I grew up 90 miles east of there.  It's pretty country populated with people who were rejected as extras on Deliverance because they were too stupid.

54 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I assume you've already been to Dzuik's and Haby's.

Not a fan of Habys but thumbs up on Dzuik’s.  BAKED is new and pretty good for rich pastries. A wonderful name to boot. 

I had to alter my search for “best food near me” to just “food near me” as best choice results were not in town. 

15 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

Not a fan of Habys but thumbs up on Dzuik’s.  BAKED is new and pretty good for rich pastries. A wonderful name to boot. 

I had to alter my search for “best food near me” to just “food near me” as best choice results were not in town. 

The Rock and Tapas place is a change of pace. During hunting season they had some live music in there on Thursday evenings. Also, a trip out to Coras for some cheese nachos should be required eats. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Tiny shower in San Marcos. Died before it got to NB. Sorry @NorthLoop.

Was able to get this. Guess there is a pot of gold somewhere in Lockhart area.

IMG_4919.jpg

Got 1.5 inches this morning. That will satisfy me for the time being. Think it only hit 92 today.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Tiny shower in San Marcos. Died before it got to NB. Sorry @NorthLoop.

Was able to get this. Guess there is a pot of gold somewhere in Lockhart area.

IMG_4919.jpg

Oh, you and your sanctimonious pride month humblebrags.  Is there a third rainbow above that one we can't even see?

Been drizzling here in close-in SW Austin for about an hour.  But the thunder show out to my East is substantial for this time of day.  Pressure hasn't dropped much so I don't know if we'll get much overall rain out of it, but between this and yesterday, not the worst start to a June I've seen in the last 15 years.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

not the worst start to a June I've seen in the last 15 years.  

I was thinking this this morning and now realize we are doomed for July and August.  Probably September, October, and November too.  Shit, maybe December.

the only other really nice Spring like this in the last decade+ (cool evenings, ample rainfall, reasonable daytime highs) was 2020 during Covid.  And that was a godsend because we had to find shit to do outside to get outta the house.  But we had hell to pay that September/October when summer just said, "Ah fuck it, I don't feel like going home yet.  Let's get another round."  We always have hell to pay come August, it's just a question of whether it lets up by Halloween.  

And as nice as the precip has been, everytime I go fishing out in the HC, I realize how bad the drought still is.  

I really would like to have been there when they decided how far to excavate Lake Buchanan and Travis.  And some junior engineer named  Simone said that he heard from his cousin's ex-boyfriend's brother's friend who works up river at a Baskin Robbins that there's gonna be a lot of rainfall this year.  So they all agreed to dig the lakes out 10' deeper than they should have.  

Ah well, was a wonderful spring in any event.  See y'all underground in a few years...

Whatever is going on with the rain, I'll take it. My youngest son is home from college for the summer and I played several games of basketball in the backyard with him and a couple of his friends. Afterwards, I sat on the patio and drank some beers and thought that it was nice to enjoy the night when it isn't fucking hot outside. Hopefully, most of the summer stays like this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1